PDA

View Full Version : Eric Maynor to OKC

GoNY
12-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Thunder Aquires Maynor From Utah Jazz

Posted Dec 22 2009 6:48PM

OKLAHOMA CITY, December 22, 2009 – Oklahoma City Thunder Executive Vice President and General Manager Sam Presti announced today that the team has acquired guard Eric Maynor from the Utah Jazz in exchange for the draft rights to Peter Fehse.

To consummate the transaction the Thunder also assumes the contract of forward Matt Harpring. Harpring will not report to Oklahoma City.

We are pleased to add Eric Maynor to our organization,” said Presti. “Eric possesses a work ethic and team first mentality that we feel will help us in our continued growth.”

Maynor was selected by the Utah Jazz in the first round (20th overall) of the 2009 NBA Draft. The 6-3 guard is averaging 5.2 points, 3.1 assists and 1.5 rebounds in 26 games with the Jazz this season. The Raeford, N.C. native currently ranks fourth in assists, 19th in steals and 24th in scoring among NBA Rookies.

Maynor played four seasons at Virginia Commonwealth University, averaging 15.0 points, 5.2 assists and 3.4 rebounds per game in 130 contests. He left VCU as the school’s all-time leader in points (1,953) and assists (674).

The Thunder organization originally drafted Fehse in the second round (49th overall) in the 2002 NBA Draft.

In order to complete the transaction the Thunder has waived guards Shaun Livingston and Mike Wilks.

“This was a difficult decision as we appreciate Shaun and Mike's contributions to this basketball team on and off the floor,” added Presti. “We wish them nothing but continued success.”

http://www.nba.com/thunder/news/thunder_aquires_maynor_2009_12_22.html

B.JenningsMVP
12-22-2009, 08:04 PM
If it's true.. WOWWWWW, great pick up!!

GoNY
12-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Salary dump by the Jazz and another great move by Presti. He's been a great GM so far.

Sofa King
12-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Thunder getting even more young talent? Wow.

Rockets&Browns
12-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Great move, he's a good player. He can come in a play big minutes as the backup cause honestly I think Westbrook is overrated. He's good, but isn't as good as perceived!

R0ckDizzle
12-22-2009, 08:24 PM
hopefully D-Will and Ronnie Price dont break down.
Thanks to Korver Memo and Booz optin in, the jazz are forced to trim a good, young player. He will get to play more often in OKC. He and D-Will on the court together didnt work well enough for them jazz to hold on and pay more luxury tax.

Bulls_fan90
12-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Could this mean more. Peter Fehse is a pf....may'be this has something to do with Boozer??

MassoDio
12-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Nice trade for Presti and the Thunder. Presti has been very impressive as a GM.

jetsfan28
12-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Wow, great move. Now he just needs to buy out Harpring and see if they could sign one more player.

jimbobjarree
12-22-2009, 08:39 PM
wow I'm shocked. I really liked Maynor, he's impressed me and OKC are getting a heck of a player. I know it saves us 12 million overall, but to a division rival? He will come back to haunt us, definatly. And to the guy saying he didnt work on court with D, they didnt get much court time together but I liked them both on court. I like Ronnie P, but I will miss Eric, as you can see from my avvy I was a fan, shame we didnt get anything out the deal at all.

We were all expecting a salary cutting move in the offseason, but once that storm passed this one has caught me off guard. If only Korver opted out the ****** *****

jetsfan28
12-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Am I overrating Maynor? Or is it completely crazy that the Jazz traded a really good young player to save 16 mill this year, and nothing next year?

This is a Suns in the mid-2000's type deal, where they would just sell their 1st rounders, which may have cost them a title.

jimbobjarree
12-22-2009, 08:50 PM
16 million or a very solid back up who will play 10mpg max behind Deron for 8 odd years.

I can see our reasoning behind it I guess. Hopefully Harpring re-signs on the vets min next season and we get one more year of him at least.

I liked him anyway. He started against the Sixers and Cavs on our road trip back in mid November, so OKC fans may want to check those games out. He hit 20 against the Cavs and LBJ embraced him at the end and had a lil word. He's going to be good, 4 years in college really showed.

Agent008
12-22-2009, 08:52 PM
That looks like a good trade for OKC. It doesn't hurt their cap space and they pick up a good young player. I haven't seen Maynor play in the NBA yet, but I liked him going into the draft.

I wonder where Harpring is going to sign if he gets cut.

R0ckDizzle
12-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Could hurt them, but I dont see him becoming a superstar, more of an all around avg guy who can fill 20 mins and sustain a team. We will see.. good thing the jazz have NYK #1 that could factor into the future plans as well.
-He didnt get a lot of time w/ D-Will but they didnt light the world on fire or scare anyone.
-Brought a different dimension than price... hopefully it works out.

jimbobjarree
12-22-2009, 08:55 PM
he's been doing our announcing at home games, and a bit of nba tv work. I reckon he'll sign right back with us, he likes Utah and likes working under coach Sloan. This is if he does return from his knee and ankle injuries of course.

jetsfan28
12-22-2009, 08:55 PM
16 million or a very solid back up who will play 10mpg max behind Deron for 8 odd years.

I can see our reasoning behind it I guess. Hopefully Harpring re-signs on the vets min next season and we get one more year of him at least.

I liked him anyway. He started against the Sixers and Cavs on our road trip back in mid November, so OKC fans may want to check those games out. He hit 20 against the Cavs and LBJ embraced him at the end and had a lil word. He's going to be good, 4 years in college really showed.

I mean, I get it. It's a completely logical, understandable move. But it could really hurt, draft picks are so hit and miss and they appeared to hit there.

jimbobjarree
12-22-2009, 09:01 PM
I mean, I get it. It's a completely logical, understandable move. But it could really hurt, draft picks are so hit and miss and they appeared to hit there.

we got Ronnie Price for 2 years, and with the limited minutes that are available behind Deron Williams, I really like him off the bench, hustle, energy, defense, he's good to watch. Eric looked like a very solid back up, eventually he would have been either traded because he deserved more minutes or brought in to play more 2 guard, and with CJ Miles back from injury and his break out year still on I doubt it. This way we can pretty much keep our roster in tact, not being held to ransom with Boozer trades that give us no value back but save us money this year, so I guess it allows us to make better trades now. We had our highest payroll ever in Jazz history, and this team doesnt deserve it, it would have been criminal for the Jazz owners to have to fork out that much for a good but not great team.

He will be good though, he'll fight Westy for his spot, he's more reliable and he plays like a veteran at 22, maybe they scootch westy over to the 2 with his scoring and many many turnovers, who knows.

Derick713
12-22-2009, 09:02 PM
So the Jazz save a bit of money by packaging Harpring with Maynor for the rights to a player and no real incoming salary. I guess it helps the Jazz keep Boozer around this season and saves them a bit of money in regards to paying the tax.

zambo4president
12-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Maynor's really underrated. What a steal.

AI4MVP
12-22-2009, 10:34 PM
grrrrrrrrrrrrreat trade for OKC. wow. theres a great young team. there gunna be fukin dangerous in a couple years. Eric Maynor is a future starter in this league. To have him backing up one of the best yyoung point in the nBA in Russell Westbrook is just craaazy

Vinny642
12-22-2009, 10:37 PM
I dont know what the Jazz were thinking.

Trouble87
12-22-2009, 10:43 PM
thats a great pickup for OKC

AK-50
12-22-2009, 11:15 PM
wow watch out for the thunder

runforrestrunx9
12-22-2009, 11:23 PM
talk about robbery, good move by OKC and the jazz r gettin screwed from their terrible contracts

dsickich123
12-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Yes!!! Lets go thunder!!!! Another young stud!!!

Lo Porto
12-22-2009, 11:55 PM
This is not the last move by Utah. But it does however save them almost $15 million this year for a guy who might be their 3rd PG. Maynor and Harpring combine for over $7.5 combined. If you consider luxury tax, that's over $15 million.

I really think the Jazz will now start looking at other deals. They'll look more into TMac, Monta Ellis, Randolph, Camby, etc. This move gives them tons of flexibility for only losing their backup PG. I liked Maynor, but I like what this deal could lead to better.

Of course this is good for OKC. It's a win-win for both teams.

Mell413
12-22-2009, 11:59 PM
Great trade for the Thunder. This team has the potential to be dangerous in a few years. They have what 5 picks in the next two years?

Ironman5219
12-23-2009, 12:04 AM
This is going to go down as one of the most hidious moves in NBA history. Maynor is a stud, the Jazz or not only a worse team today but in the future..... Congrads Oklahoma you got a great charature guy, hard worker, and real talent. Mark my words in 2 years he will be your starting PG.

theimortalone
12-23-2009, 12:04 AM
OKC just got better with Maynor. Wow. I love the trade for the Thunder.

Impulse
12-23-2009, 12:50 AM
Good for the Thunder. Maynor was my favorite player in that draft.

GrkGawdofWalkz
12-23-2009, 09:52 AM
Maynor is a very talented guard. I like this move for a team with cap space immensely. He upgrades over Shaun Livingston and they can afford Harpring for another year.

Kakaroach
12-23-2009, 12:05 PM
wow I'm shocked. I really liked Maynor, he's impressed me and OKC are getting a heck of a player. I know it saves us 12 million overall, but to a division rival? He will come back to haunt us, definatly. And to the guy saying he didnt work on court with D, they didnt get much court time together but I liked them both on court. I like Ronnie P, but I will miss Eric, as you can see from my avvy I was a fan, shame we didnt get anything out the deal at all.

We were all expecting a salary cutting move in the offseason, but once that storm passed this one has caught me off guard. If only Korver opted out the ****** ***** Jimboby hits the nail on head like always. Maynor is awesome, but I think this deal helps keep Boozer around. Good luck in OKC EM3, even if it is a division rival.

Carey
12-23-2009, 04:20 PM
This is not the last move by Utah. But it does however save them almost $15 million this year for a guy who might be their 3rd PG. Maynor and Harpring combine for over $7.5 combined. If you consider luxury tax, that's over $15 million.

I really think the Jazz will now start looking at other deals. They'll look more into TMac, Monta Ellis, Randolph, Camby, etc. This move gives them tons of flexibility for only losing their backup PG. I liked Maynor, but I like what this deal could lead to better.

Of course this is good for OKC. It's a win-win for both teams.

I agree, alot of people will bash this move just looking from the outside but when you look at how much the Jazz are saving and the fact that Price is a very good backup then you se this is a deal that gives the Jazz much needed flexibility. Having 3 good point guards is a luxury teams just cant have for too long so this was inevitable. Great trade for my Thunder but still a good trade for the Jazz, you just wont see the full effect of it immediately.

DerekRE_3
12-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Could this mean more. Peter Fehse is a pf....may'be this has something to do with Boozer??

I doubt it. I mean maybe they will move Boozer but Fehse probably has nothing to do with it. He was a 2nd round pick 7 years ago and has never tried to come over. They just had to throw something the Jazz way in the deal.

jimbobjarree
12-23-2009, 06:09 PM
yeah the Jazz have said they arent bringing him to the NBA, no interest, but it could still lead to a Boozer trade now we have more flexibility to take equal money back for him.