PDA

View Full Version : If Dallas would have won the championship in the 2006?

PLAYERS FAN
12-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Will Dirk be consider the second greatest PF of all time?

Hellcrooner
12-22-2009, 06:09 PM
no.

Hellcrooner
12-22-2009, 06:12 PM
kevin garnett, tim ducan, karl malone, charles barkley, denis rodman, kevin mchale, nate thurmond , etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

bahama0811
12-22-2009, 06:14 PM
No, I don't think so

ManRam
12-22-2009, 06:14 PM
He'd be behind Malone and Duncan for sure. I'd still take KG and Barkley over him too. McHale, Pettit and Hayes all have a legit argument.

RocketsRule
12-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Not even close. Duncan, Garnett, Barkley, Malone and many others would still be better than him.

BradyIsTheMan12
12-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Dirk is very good but all of those guys are legends, I dont know if I can put Dirk there but if had won a title he would definitely be up there.

BlondeBomber41
12-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Dirk is very good but all of those guys are legends, I dont know if I can put Dirk there but if had won a title he would definitely be up there.

They are only "legends" because they are old. Once Dirk passes almost all of their career achievements and accomplishments statistically and retires he will be considered as great or greater than all of them minus a few like Tim Duncan and Karl Malone.

JordansBulls
12-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Will Dirk be consider the second greatest PF of all time?

Still behind Duncan, Malone, Barkley and KG.

BlondeBomber41
12-23-2009, 05:36 AM
Dirk absolutely wont be behind Charles Barkley when its all said and done. Not like Barkley has any championships to keep him ahead of Dirk.

Hellcrooner
12-23-2009, 06:23 AM
barkley played both sides of the court not only offense.

oh and btw barkley was a man enough to bang down low being 3 inches shorter than other power fowards instead of seting up for jumpers and scaping from the zone being 2 inch taller.

ldc62
12-23-2009, 08:29 AM
Dirk absolutely wont be behind Charles Barkley when its all said and done. Not like Barkley has any championships to keep him ahead of Dirk.

I love Dirk too, but lets be realistic: Barkley was a great PF. He was dominant. You really think Dirk is going to be better than someone in the list of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History (WIKI this if you want). Did you ever watch Charles? Because he was a versatile player who could score, create plays, and defend (something Dirk isn't good at).

Hellcrooner
12-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Dirk in the 80s/9 with those days rules would have gotten a career ending enjury the firs time he woudl ahve gone into the court

#1Mavericksfan
12-23-2009, 11:29 AM
K.G. (Had to go player with 2 other hall of famers to get a ring)

Barkley (No rings but he came close with the Suns)

Malone (No rings but came close 2 times with the Jazz)

amoore87
12-23-2009, 11:48 AM
if they would have won itd be another story, because dirk has most of those guys beat in the jump shot from anywhere/ball handle department

avrpatsfan
12-23-2009, 12:06 PM
no way

RCarlson85
12-23-2009, 12:16 PM
I don't really know what the point of this is? Dallas didn't win the championship because Dirk, their best player, wasn't good enough to lead the team to victory. Dirk is not good enough to be considered 2nd all time because he doesn't have as complete of a game as other top PFs. All he does is shoot jumpers because he is too much of a pansy to drive. He can't play D to save his life.

Raph12
12-23-2009, 12:25 PM
I say he'd be in the Top 5 after, Duncan, Malone, Barkley and Garnett, in that order...

I got a question for you:

If Philadelphia beat LA to win the championship in 2001, where does AI rank among the best SGs in NBA history? after MJ and Kobe?

JordansBulls
12-23-2009, 12:41 PM
I say he'd be in the Top 5 after, Duncan, Malone, Barkley and Garnett, in that order...

If Philadelphia beat LA to win the championship in 2001, where does AI rank among the best SGs in NBA history? after MJ and Kobe?

He would have to rank 3rd or 4th and the reason is simple, he would have both a league and finals mvp and would have done it the same year.

Considering only a handful of players have ever gotten both the same year that would be impressive no matter how much people dislike Iverson.

stipe1280
12-23-2009, 12:58 PM
I like that people are saying he won't be great if he doesn't win..*cough*Malone*cough*Barkley*cough*. Even Garnett couldn't win without Ray Allen and Paul Pierce. Still, I'll agree that Malone is ahead of Dirk, as is Duncan, but those who are putting all those other guys ahead of Nowitzki (I love the guy who put Rodman ahead of him) are crazy.

Raph12
12-23-2009, 01:14 PM
He would have to rank 3rd or 4th and the reason is simple, he would have both a league and finals mvp and would have done it the same year.

Considering only a handful of players have ever gotten both the same year that would be impressive no matter how much people dislike Iverson.

Not to mention the scoring title and All-Star MVP in that year as well.

BlondeBomber41
12-23-2009, 02:08 PM
I love Dirk too, but lets be realistic: Barkley was a great PF. He was dominant. You really think Dirk is going to be better than someone in the list of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History (WIKI this if you want). Did you ever watch Charles? Because he was a versatile player who could score, create plays, and defend (something Dirk isn't good at).

Dirk isnt a bad defender. The only people that think he is are the people who just dont watch him play or are stuck on the white stereotype. Do non Mavs fans ever wonder why you never hear us Mavs fans talk about Dirk being bad defensively like PHX does with Amare? Because he isn't, its not an issue. He isn't gonna make the All Defensive team or anything but his defense doesn't hurt the team at all.

When Dirk passes all of Barkleys career achievements I think people will realize how great he really is. He is gonna be top 5-10 on the NBA's All Time Scoring List easily if he doesn't get injured. He just needs that championship and then people will be forced to realize how good he is.

Hellcrooner
12-23-2009, 02:38 PM
^i dont know if you have followed the mavs long enough but he is not even the best mav ever.

aguirre would be that with blackman and dereck harper having strong cases too

Chronz
12-23-2009, 02:42 PM
you really dont like the german do you, seriously Harper? lol was he even an all-star

Hellcrooner
12-23-2009, 02:45 PM
he was a long serving member for the team.

a team that would have won a ring if they hadnt clashed three times against the best team ever, showtime lakers.

the last of the times it took us seven games to beat them.

and dotn mistake me, i LIKE dirk he is an euro after all.

But pople overate him.

gcoll
12-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Tough to gauge because his skill set is different than a lot of other power forwards.

But the championship doesn't matter. The only people who use "rings" as an argument, are people who don't know basketball. It's such a ridiculous argument. Rings = team accomplishment. We're talking about individuals here.

Plus. Dirk should have a ring. They got screwed over that year by the refs.

PLAYERS FAN
12-23-2009, 05:26 PM

Iverson will be third on my list.

Ray_R
12-23-2009, 05:53 PM
AI top 3 Yea i believe of the top of my head.

BlondeBomber41
12-23-2009, 06:59 PM
^i dont know if you have followed the mavs long enough but he is not even the best mav ever.

aguirre would be that with blackman and dereck harper having strong cases too

Ugh, I sometimes wonder if you are joking or if you seriously believe what you are saying.

Hellcrooner
12-23-2009, 07:14 PM
P on aguirre completely serius he was every bit as much as scorer as dirk is bit but better all around... his d was nothing to brag about as dirks tough.

cubbybear2290
12-23-2009, 07:19 PM
Possibly will be the 5th best of all-time, personally I feel the best PF of all-time is the round mound of rebound. Charles Barkley. Simply because someone said that yes he was undersized, but not by only 2-3 inches. PFs are typically 6-8 to 6-10, Barkley was only 6-4. Argue if you want look at his pics, next to MJ. But my list would look like:
1. Charles Barkley
2. Karl Malone
3. Tim Duncan
4. Kevin Garnett
5. TBD (Dirk could very well be there though.)

SteveNash
12-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Wait, people actually think Barkley was a good defender?

Hellcrooner
12-23-2009, 07:47 PM
just some names.

Kevin Mchale, Dave Cowens,Moses Malone(started as PF) Bobby JOnes, George Mcginiss, Buck WIlliams,Barkley, Connie Hawkins, Elvin Hayes, Nate Thurmon(some years played pf others center) Larry Nance, Karl Malone, Tim Duncan, Larry Kenon, Hakeem (played pf when he and Sampson where the twin towers) Larry Johnson, Bob Mcadoo, Tom CHambers, Alvan Adams, Jack Sickma, Spencer Haywood, Garnett,

Clearly Better

Most probably better but opinable

The rest are on Dirk, Webber, Pau or Rasheeds level.

being young doe snot excuse you to know some nba history.

Spurred1
12-23-2009, 08:32 PM
you really dont like the german do you, seriously Harper? lol was he even an all-star

He gets his panties in a bunch whenever Dirk's mentioned, doesn't he?

I think it stems from his psychosexual fixation on Pau Gasol.

BlondeBomber41
12-23-2009, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I really got to learn just to ignore what hellcrooner says. He either is really dumb or just trying to mess with people.

TheWatcher34
12-23-2009, 10:12 PM
a ring for Dirk!!

still1ballin
12-23-2009, 10:14 PM
wth??

Dirk4theW1n
12-24-2009, 01:52 AM
I don't really know what the point of this is? Dallas didn't win the championship because Dirk, their best player, wasn't good enough to lead the team to victory. Dirk is not good enough to be considered 2nd all time because he doesn't have as complete of a game as other top PFs. All he does is shoot jumpers because he is too much of a pansy to drive. He can't play D to save his life.

:facepalm:

Quikdraw
12-24-2009, 02:18 AM
Not even close.

CITLEON
12-24-2009, 04:20 AM
Dirk is probably one of the best SCORING power forwards the league has ever seen, but without those rings it's hard to be considered the best.

Ty Fast
12-24-2009, 01:30 PM
dirk was not even the best player for the mavs in that final. jason terry was, and he would have won finals mvp if it was not for wade

Verbal Christ
12-24-2009, 01:32 PM
i kinda wish they had won, then maybe their self worth might even be that much higher! imagine that! LOL wont ever win the ring with dirk as 'the man' ... jot it down.

Ty Fast
12-24-2009, 01:34 PM
i am not bashing dirk by the way. he is one of my fave players. i am just pointing out the facts. i think if he wins a ring he could be ranked 4th behind timmy, kg, and the mail man.

Chronz
12-24-2009, 01:37 PM

We wouldnt dislike him if that happened, for the simple reason it wouldve taken a performance from him that he quite frankly was never capable of. If hes not taking 50 shots hes not getting your team points, ipso facto he could never have won that series.

Manny Paplfavre
12-24-2009, 01:57 PM
I think even if he'd won that championship and another, he'd still be no better than 5th (after Duncan, Barkley, Malone and KG).