PDA

View Full Version : HoopsData enhances the boxscore

Chronz
12-21-2009, 03:36 PM
http://hoopdata.com/boxscores.aspx

Just wanted to throw this out there, much better way to look up a players game than just relying on any old boxscore.

Shady66
12-21-2009, 03:46 PM
I like it.

For CHG, is that charges taken, or against you?

ManRam
12-21-2009, 04:02 PM
I like it too.

theuuord
12-21-2009, 04:04 PM
good link chronz.

Can we talk about just how insane the Miami-Portland game last night was? Brandon Roy and a Heat guard combined for 50 points on 18-21 shooting and 12-12 from three. Who'da thunk the Heat guard would have been Quentin Richardson?

madiaz3
12-21-2009, 04:08 PM
yes! now we can officially track jared jeffries as the #1 charge taker in the league! (no, really he is)

ManRam
12-21-2009, 04:23 PM
I love the "at rim", "<10 feet" etc. data. I've been talking about how Vince doesn't ever seem to score from inside 10 feet, and now I can confirm that. I like this site. A lot more useful stuff than the average box score.

ChiSox219
12-21-2009, 04:52 PM

Just wanted to throw this out there, much better way to look up a players game than just relying on any old boxscore.

I saw your quote from 07 about Daryl Morey :laugh:

Gators123
12-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks for posting Chronz

Raph12
12-21-2009, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the site

Durant is hype
12-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Nice Find,Chronz!

asandhu23
12-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Tyvm, c

69centers
12-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Not sure what the benefit is here. Bigger isn't better, as their columns aren't aligned properly and it's not easy to read. The highlight over their stats is on other sites too.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-21-2009, 07:13 PM
thanks for posting this

i'm a stat whore:hide:

Durant is hype
12-21-2009, 07:42 PM
thanks for posting this

i'm a stat whore:hide:

I'm a whore as well :)

Raph12
12-21-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm a whore as well :)

Well hello there... wait... are you a guy or girl?

DenButsu
12-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks, Chronz, great stuff. (bookmarked)

----------------------------------------------------

Not sure what the benefit is here.

Much more detailed, in-depth statistical information about basketball games than normal box scores provide.

Bigger isn't better,

It's not about being "bigger", it's about providing a more accurate representation of what actually happened in a game. For example, in looking at the box for Denver's loss to Memphis, I see that Chris Andersen shot 2-8 from the field. Now normally this might cause me to wonder whether he was chucking up jumpers instead of attacking the basket. But if I look at hoopdata's shot locations, I can see that he actually was 1-6 at the rim, so now I can make a better assumption, which is that he wasn't settling for jumpers, he was just struggling to finish around the basket. It's not as if we have to use all the information that's provided in those enhanced box scores, but the fact that they do convey a hell of a lot more information is a really good thing in case we're interested in checking things out in more detail.

as their columns aren't aligned properly and it's not easy to read. The highlight over their stats is on other sites too.

Not even really sure what you mean by that. The layout looks fine to me.

hoopdata
12-22-2009, 01:30 AM
Not even really sure what you mean by that. The layout looks fine to me.

He's referring to our stats database for season stats, which have some alignment issues with the tables that have dual column headers (i.e. shot locations). We were novices to web design when we made this site in October, so we went with a table formatting that had some customization limitations, which led to some minor alignment issues on some of the pages. This is the first instance I've heard of someone saying it makes it hard to read, though.

As you can see, the box scores don't have this type of problem, because we've moved on to a more advanced coding, but re-coding the stats databases for season stats would be incredibly burdensome for minimal gain, and it's not something we'll be doing until the season is over.

Regardless, appreciate the positive feedback all around, and glad you find the stuff useful. We'll be having something resembling a glossary on the box scores sometime soon (but in a very unobtrusive way), and also should have game logs at a player and team level at some point in the near future.

Please let me know if you guys spot any errors or have any suggestions for ways to improve the box scores.

Thanks again.

On, and thanks Den for the awesome defense of the site's usefulness. Couldn't have said it better myself. :D

hoopdata
12-22-2009, 01:33 AM
And to answer a previous question, that is Charges Taken or Charges Drawn. We'll have clarifications for some of the more ambiguous abbreviated stats in the box scores at some point in the near future. I'm happy to answer any questions until then, though.

Chronz
12-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Not sure what the benefit is here. Bigger isn't better, as their columns aren't aligned properly and it's not easy to read. The highlight over their stats is on other sites too.
My solution, get a bigger monitor, I think you'll rethink that bigger isnt better theory. JK bro dont take offense

Chronz
12-22-2009, 02:43 PM
I saw your quote from 07 about Daryl Morey :laugh:
I was real anti +/- at the time and had heard rumors that Morey was one of the geniuses behind the Scalabrine contract because he "made players around him better" basically he was their Battier. And then I heard that +/- was behind the Battier-Gay trade, by the time it got to the midget PG (rated poorly by Hollingers draft projections) and undersized Landry (Alittle less angry about him but I really wanted Glen Davis) I was fed up with Morey. Definitely not my finest hour

Ray_R
12-22-2009, 03:11 PM
My solution, get a bigger monitor, I think you'll rethink that bigger isnt better theory. JK bro dont take offense

agreed but i dont think he was talking about the monitor;)

Chronz
12-22-2009, 03:48 PM
agreed but i dont think he was talking about the monitor;)
If hes having trouble with some of the columns not aligning properly then a bigger monitor would fix them. I remember having those same issues on other sites before my upgrade.

Chronz
12-22-2009, 03:50 PM
And to answer a previous question, that is Charges Taken or Charges Drawn. We'll have clarifications for some of the more ambiguous abbreviated stats in the box scores at some point in the near future. I'm happy to answer any questions until then, though.
I know its probably impossible but what would it take to get stats on shotclock usage of shot attempts?

DenButsu
01-06-2010, 11:55 PM
BBR News: Expanded Box Score Information

Posted by Justin Kubatko on January 6, 2010

This should probably be filed under "Things I Should Have Done a Long Time Ago", but I finally got around to expanding the information available in our box scores (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200601220LAL.html). Near the top of the page you will find a "Four Factors" summary for each team, along with the game's Pace Factor (http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/glossary.html#pace) and each team's Offensive Rating (http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/glossary.html#off_rtg). Also note that in each team's box score you may toggle between basic box score statistics (points, rebounds, etc.) and advanced box score statistics (offensive rating, defensive rating, etc.). Please note that the advanced box score statistics are estimates based on the game logs and are not derived from play-by-play accounts. I hope you enjoy these additions, and please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions for improvement. Lastly, let me supply the answer to a question I'm sure I will get: yes, I plan to incorporate these new additions into the Player Game Finder (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi) soon.basketball-reference (http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=4361)

dev0
01-07-2010, 12:31 AM
good find... a good way to expose many players