PDA

View Full Version : Pierce : "Raise the rim"

AirJordanXVIII
12-20-2009, 05:03 PM
So, apparently Paul Pierce(notes) has a knack for this ol' bloggin' thingamajig.

In his second post in as many days at Boston.com, the Celtics forward writes or at least dictates to a Boston Globe reporter what he'd do if he ran the NBA.

Pierce's three fundamental changes for the league: Ditch the age limit ("if you're a pro, you're a pro"); shorten the season to 60 games (fat chance with advertisers); and raise the rim three inches.

The Truth:

The athletes today are crazy. You see the way guys are jumping these days. I would raise the rim three inches. Then, you have to learn the art of the jump shot. You'll have to know how to play this game a little bit better then. Raising the rim, you'll see increasing play. You'll see increasing fundamentals. I'm telling you.

This idea is nothing new. For years, Tom Newell, son of legendary basketball big man coach Pete Newell, has suggested the NBA and NCAA play with 11-foot rims. Like Pierce, Newell hypothesizes that higher rims would see an emphasis on spacing, passing and working for open shots. Basketball Fundamentals 101!

Personally, I don't see the NBA jacking those nets up anytime soon. In fact, to paraphrase The Mighty MJD, just try to imagine telling Commissioner David Stern, "Hey, boss, we have an idea that will decrease highlight dunks and three-point shots." I'd be amazed if you avoided that trap-floor door opening beneath your feet. Those sharks don't tickle.

But what do you think? Is Pierce onto something? Sound off.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Paul-Pierce-would-raise-the-rim-among-other-thi;_ylt=AoVhurudtnvIxyF99FwAyuq8vLYF?urn=nba,2098 07

Actually an interesting idea.

Mavrix
12-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Are you blind

madiaz3
12-20-2009, 05:09 PM
11 feet might actually make a difference. Pierce's 3 inch suggestion does nothing.

NYKnickFanatic
12-20-2009, 05:16 PM
A little late and that would be a horrible idea.

Kakaroach
12-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Already a thread about this, could a mod merge it with the other one?

FlakeyFool
12-20-2009, 05:57 PM
11 feet would be interesting

BALLER R
12-20-2009, 06:02 PM
he said so they could learn the art of a jumpshot...but doesnt alot of coaches like guys attacking the rim rather than settling for shots

mavwar53
12-20-2009, 06:14 PM
pierce is a fool, raising the rim would **** up the game, guys are good shooters not just cause they practice shooting, but cause they practice shooting on hoops at the same height.

AddiX
12-20-2009, 06:16 PM
I def agree with shortening the season, when you add in the playoffs, its just to many games. 7 game series most of the time end the way a 5 game would, its out of control.

I also think they need to make the court wider and longer. This guys are way bigger and athletic than they use to be and a bigger court would suit them well imo. But then again they dont play defense anyways.

As far as raising the rim, I'm not against it at all, but it aint gonna happen. I agree with Pierce on the fundamentals though, seeing all these top prospects and none of them can shoot a mid range is a joke.

The big guys have no idea wtf a hook shot is.

Lil Rhody
12-20-2009, 06:21 PM
If they raised the rim 10 years ago to 11 ft do you think Shaq would be out of the league?

shep33
12-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Wow thats a terrible idea. Why make the rims higher? Because people are dunking too easily. Well i got a better idea, how about players start playing defense and not allow other players to dunk so much. The biggest problem with the NBA is the lack of competition at times, because most nba players like each other on and off the court. Players gotta get mad, and the game has got to get a bit more chippy. Don't call so many soft flagrants, and flagrant 1's. Just let them play a bit more. We haven't seen a great playoff series since i dunno, Lakers vs. Kings, which was crazy because both teams hated each other. Knicks vs. Heat/Bulls was also unreal, cause they truly hated each other. Gotta do something about this wimpy league. I understand that 82 games is long, but i mean MJ and all those teams before did it. So players should stop complaining. Are they in such crappy shape that they can't last as long as guys did 20 years ago?

SeoulBeatz
12-20-2009, 07:02 PM
11 feet would be interesting

well it would change the game, but it would also change EVERYONES JUMPSHOT ON PLANET EARTH. And from a business standpoint it would make it a lot less exciting and impossible to dunk for a lot of people outside the few freaks in the NBA right now.

we all adjust to playing to a 10 foot rim and have for our entire lives, if they just switched it right now it would have a detrimental effect. It MAY promote better team basketball, but everyone would have to adjust (how many people loved the idea of having a new official NBA ball? yeah that was great) and it would greatly effect the fundamentals of shooting.

keep things the way they are, let pierce figure out how to blog.

SeoulBeatz
12-20-2009, 07:06 PM
and instead of raising the rim it may just be easier to teach big men better fundamentals in the first place no? except many players in the NBA have had success their whole lives and have to big of egos to adjust their games.

but when they reach the NBA and realize they cant dunk all the time they are gone, only the strong survive.

thats why duncan and garnett have been around all these years.

fundamentals baby, you shouldnt have to raise the god damn rim to teach them... like seriously?

Bishnoff
12-20-2009, 07:48 PM
The game is great as it is. No need to change it now.

kntresistheheat
12-20-2009, 07:53 PM
If the rim is raised 3 more inches, pierce fat *** wont be able to dunk..lol

Evolution23
12-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Why not make the court bigger too and make the shot clock only 14 seconds. We can also have 6 vs 6 games to make the game tougher.. thats the dumbest **** ever...

bleedgreenwhite
12-20-2009, 08:01 PM
i think of all pauls ideas the 60 game season is the best. if you shorten the regular season then you have much more intense games, they mean more, the teams play better defense mor e hustle etc the 82 game regular season is so long it cant sustain playoff like atmosphere night after night, this is why the playoffs every year is like a completely diffrent leauge

TheKing23
12-20-2009, 08:13 PM
i think of all pauls ideas the 60 game season is the best. if you shorten the regular season then you have much more intense games, they mean more, the teams play better defense mor e hustle etc the 82 game regular season is so long it cant sustain playoff like atmosphere night after night, this is why the playoffs every year is like a completely diffrent leauge

That's what you want isn't it? If every regular season game felt like the playoffs, the playoffs wouldn't feel any different.

I think it's fine the way it is.

stevefrancis
12-20-2009, 08:22 PM
most of the players in the league would suck then without being able to use their athelticism the same

Quikdraw
12-20-2009, 08:26 PM
The game is great as it is. No need to change it now.

^^^ This.

Ray_R
12-20-2009, 11:09 PM
^^^^ Agreed