PDA

View Full Version : Gotta give ATL's FO their props

arlubas
12-20-2009, 08:11 AM
Not too many years ago this franchise was a laughing stock in the NBA and their countless owners were fighting all the time on who will have the upper hand in the important decisions. But with slow and methodic moves the Hawks have managed in 4 years to build a team that actually seems like it can contend for an ECF title this season.

Not too shaby for a team who was on the brink of moving not so long ago.

bctgg27
12-20-2009, 09:12 AM
I agree with you. They have some nice pieces on that team. I think they need one more key piece to go all the way and win. Though they could win it all with this team, but it's not likely.

jimm120
12-20-2009, 10:39 AM
I agree with you. They have some nice pieces on that team. I think they need one more key piece to go all the way and win. Though they could win it all with this team, but it's not likely.

Spot on! That is exactly what I think.

I believe they are a solid team but seem to be 1 more player away from being 100% legit title contenders.

But yeah, they've done a great job. They had a small run in which they aimed (or got into the playoffs) before but the team just wasn't that good. This team is obviously better. PLUS, the rest of the teams in the East are super weak at the moment. Weaker than before. So, this is the time to do so. They shouldn't be able to beat Boston but they've shown they can (kind of like how Golden State beats Dallas, even though they shouldn't be able to). Cleveland isn't that good in actuality. So, only Orlando is standing in the way.

cheetos185
12-20-2009, 10:53 AM
imagine if they had drafted deron or cp3 over marvin williams :speechless:

SlaterRaps
12-20-2009, 10:54 AM

Do you think if they added a talented younger point guard they could go all the way? Not to diss mike bibby but ive noticed him slow down a little although hes still better than other point guards in the league

mudvayne387
12-20-2009, 11:30 AM
What happens next year when Joe Johnson decides to sign somewhere else ? Not to mention Bibby has been average at best this year. It looks like this may be the year Atlanta needs to make a splash.

rabzouz 96
12-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Do you think if they added a talented younger point guard they could go all the way? Not to diss mike bibby but ive noticed him slow down a little although hes still better than other point guards in the league

no, the piece they lack to go all the way is a real bigman, but the young pg-thing wouldnt hurt either

Raph12
12-20-2009, 01:57 PM
I think they need a real post presence to be successful, something there is a lack of in the NBA... funnily enough, LA has 3 guys who can post up lol.

Toenail Clipper
12-20-2009, 01:58 PM
They also need a fan base AT HOME.
I was watching a game the other night and it seemed SOOO empty.

JasonJohnHorn
12-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Yes, outside of a couple bad draft choices this team has been doing a great job of building back up into a respectable team. I called them to win their division this year (though they may let me down in that respect lol). They have two solid centers in a league where many teams don't even have one, they have a solid forward rotation, one of the best shooting guards in the league, a solid veteran point guard with some playoff experience and they picked up Crawford and Joe Johnson this year. I agree with most of you in saying that this team could win a title with the talent they have, especially if Horford's development comes along fast (I think with his passing ability and steadily improving offensive game that he could be better than Dwight Howard), this team can make a run for it.

Their future is in question though. Joe Johnson? Will he sign with the Hawks again? If some of the top free agents (LBJ, Wade, Bosh, Boozer, ect...) stay where they are, teams like New York will have a lot of money to throw at Johnson, but if those players start moving, Johnson may find his best offer comes from the Hawks.

I'm really hoping to see these guys perform well, I've always been a Bibby fan, I like how Joe Johnson has developed over his career and Horford seems like a great kid. But with the Celtics, Cavs and Magic in the east, and teams like Miami and the 76ers who have enough talent to play like contenders on any given night (even if they are inconsistent), the Eastern conference playoffs will be tough to call and exciting to watch!

runforrestrunx9
12-20-2009, 02:36 PM
they got a squad