PDA

View Full Version : Who Will be a Respectable Franchise First: The Clippers or the Knicks?

Tony_Starks
12-19-2009, 05:58 PM
I have to go with the Clippers. They have a solid young core, above average big men, and a (former) all star PG. Once they get Griffin back they should be playoff bound. Even if they don't make it they'll add another nice pick and have plenty of trade bait to make deals. I just wish they would fire Mike!

I can't say the Knicks because first off Im not a believer in the 2010 pipedream. They also have solid young players but a coach who refuses to let them develop. They don't have their draft pick next year which is a pretty big damn deal. I also wish they would fire Mike!

edit*

my bad, I forgot to poll this.

bigsams50
12-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Knicks. I think they'll make a big splash this comming summer

Giaps
12-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Clippers have Griffin but Knicks have a ton of cap space in 2010 and 2011. I'll go with my Knicks due to free agency.

HT9Canada
12-19-2009, 06:06 PM
I think Knicks. They have ownership that has won and knows how to win. The owners of the clippers have no clue how to do anything. It's unfortunate, because the players the Clippers have could win this year, just not as a team.

Strumpy
12-19-2009, 06:08 PM
I can't say the Knicks because first off Im not a believer in the 2010 pipedream.

I disagree, I believe LBJ and/or one other superstar is already a lock to play in the Garden. So that's where I say the Knicks.

Plus the Clippers are cursed.

Tony_Starks
12-19-2009, 06:15 PM
I disagree, I believe LBJ and/or one other superstar is already a lock to play in the Garden. So that's where I say the Knicks.

A lock? Those a very strong words my friend. I say one allstar, one good player is more realistic. Like Amare and Rudy Gaye or something like that.

Quikdraw
12-19-2009, 06:20 PM
I like the Clippers as well, they have a young team and are slowly starting to put the pieces together.

Tony_Starks
12-19-2009, 06:29 PM
I like the Clippers as well, they have a young team and are slowly starting to put the pieces together.

The biggest problem with the Clipps is Dunleavy. They need to just move him to GM and get him off the bench already. With a good coach there's no reason they shouldn't be at least the 5th best team in the west. On paper they're stacked.

Giaps
12-19-2009, 06:31 PM
A lock? Those a very strong words my friend. I say one allstar, one good player is more realistic. Like Amare and Rudy Gaye or something like that.
If you actually believe that then that means they will be much better this time next year, but you also call it a 2010 pipedream... which one is it?

knickerbockerny
12-19-2009, 06:31 PM
The Knicks are going to look considerably different next year with one or two all-stars! Plus the Knicks are in the East!

knickerbockerny
12-19-2009, 06:33 PM
If you actually believe that then that means they will be much better this time next year, but you also call it a 2010 pipedream... which one is it?

Exactly! No matter what the Knicks will be a problem next year!

Cubsfan365
12-19-2009, 06:37 PM

How is it a lock? You are delusional because the Knicks have no enticing pieces to make stars want to come and play there.

TheWatcher34
12-19-2009, 06:39 PM
i am waiting for the day when the Clippers take over the city of LA! Love the Knicks, they will be fine next year..with all that money and with no Isiah Thomas i hope they make the right decisions!

madiaz3
12-19-2009, 06:44 PM
How is it a lock? You are delusional because the Knicks have no enticing pieces to make stars want to come and play there.

John Hollinger: Danilo Gallinari on the Cavaliers would make it the best team in the league.

Cubsfan365
12-19-2009, 06:54 PM
John Hollinger: Danilo Gallinari on the Cavaliers would make it the best team in the league.
Cool. One guy's opinion doesn't mean you are correct, and that statement is ludicrous. They would not be the best team with Gallinari. He is not that big of an impact player at all. Out of all the destinations for FA's to consider that actually have the cap space to add a superstar, the Knicks have by far the least intriguing group and it's not even close. The Nets have Lopez, Harris, and Douglas Roberts. The Bulls have Rose, Deng, and Noah. The Thunder have Westbrook, Durant, Green, Harden. If Wade stays in Miami, it would entice other stars to come there over NY. Knicks fans just have their expectations so high right now and they will probably be disappointed.

Sports Illustrator
12-19-2009, 06:56 PM

A situation like that would be good enough for NY. How is 2010 a pipedream to you if you think they will be able to sign Amare Stoudemire AND Rudy Gay? They'd be successful if they get that. The Knicks wouldn't be getting Lebron in that scenario but they'd be a significantly better team.
I can see Rudy Gay in the garden, but I do not see Amare coming to the garden.

Don Starks
12-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Cool. One guy's opinion doesn't mean you are correct, and that statement is ludicrous. They would not be the best team with Gallinari. He is not that big of an impact player at all. Out of all the destinations for FA's to consider that actually have the cap space to add a superstar, the Knicks have by far the least intriguing group and it's not even close. The Nets have Lopez, Harris, and Douglas Roberts. The Bulls have Rose, Deng, and Noah. The Thunder have Westbrook, Durant, Green, Harden. If Wade stays in Miami, it would entice other stars to come there over NY. Knicks fans just have their expectations so high right now and they will probably be disappointed.

the nets do have an intriguing group but they play in New Jersey at the rock and have an incredibly hard time getting people to actually show up to games. i think a F.A will go there but its gonna be a long time before they end up in brooklyn.

the bulls do have Rose, Deng and Noah, but they have the same record as the knicks and a coach who is about to get fired and less cap space, so i dont think Chicago has that much better of a chance than the knicks for getting a F.A.

if it comes down to money, which it always does, i dont see why the knicks wont have a decent chance at a free agent. so many posters are so sanctimonious about 2010, i dont get it. "no one in their right mind would go to new york" so if someone was paying you 18 million dollars to live and play in NY with a coach like D'Antoni and possibly another decent F.A. you wouldnt take a chance? not to mention they can always trade for a really good player by taking on bad contracts since they are going to be under the cap.

also if wade stays in Miami, how will they have enough cap to sign another F.A? isnt he going to command max money too? last time i checked the knicks and the nets have the most money, why is a conclusion that if wade stays in Miami the heat will be able to afford someone like bosh? are people expecting that a F.A take less money to play with wade in miami?

Cubsfan365
12-19-2009, 07:11 PM
the nets do have an intriguing group but they play in New Jersey at the rock and have an incredibly hard time getting people to actually show up to games. i think a F.A will go there but its gonna be a long time before they end up in brooklyn.

the bulls do have Rose, Deng and Noah, but they have the same record as the knicks and a coach who is about to get fired and less cap space, so i dont think Chicago has that much better of a chance than the knicks for getting a F.A.

if it comes down to money, which it always does, i dont see why the knicks wont have a decent chance at a free agent. so many posters are so sanctimonious about 2010, i dont get it. "no one in their right mind would go to new york" so if someone was paying you 18 million dollars to live and play in NY with a coach like D'Antoni and possibly another decent F.A. you wouldnt take a chance? not to mention they can always trade for a really good player by taking on bad contracts since they are going to be under the cap.
All I'm saying is it's not "a lock" that NY will get one or two superstars as was stated by a previous post. The Knicks cannot even afford two max contracts unless Lee and Nate do not return next year, and they move Eddy Curry's contract, which won't happen.

Don Starks
12-19-2009, 07:16 PM
All I'm saying is it's not "a lock" that NY will get one or two superstars as was stated by a previous post.

i definitely agree its not a lock, i just think its silly when people say New York has no chance of landing a free agent next year.

Cubsfan365
12-19-2009, 07:22 PM
i definitely agree its not a lock, i just think its silly when people say New York has no chance of landing a free agent next year.
There is definitely a chance, I just think it would be more appealing to go elsewhere.

Jacob K.
12-19-2009, 07:27 PM
i would want to go to NY as a free agent. all the attention, peopkle genuinely caring about what you do. its the same in the NHL with the Leafs, or the Canadiens, to name a few. people LOVE hockey there, and therefore free agents want to go there. take phil kessel for example, even though he wasnt a free agent, he forced a trade to Toronto.

Tony_Starks
12-19-2009, 07:31 PM
A situation like that would be good enough for NY. How is 2010 a pipedream to you if you think they will be able to sign Amare Stoudemire AND Rudy Gay? They'd be successful if they get that. The Knicks wouldn't be getting Lebron in that scenario but they'd be a significantly better team.
I can see Rudy Gay in the garden, but I do not see Amare coming to the garden.

When I say 2010 pipedream I mean a superstar like Lebron or DWade coming to the team. Amare and Gay would make them better but keep in mind they'll have to lose most of their FA's to sign them so to me thats a wash.

Toenail Clipper
12-19-2009, 07:39 PM
The Clippers, I may be biased but whatever.
To those who say the Knicks have a lot of caps, the Clippers have tons of Free Agents as well and their starting line up is solid.

PG - Baron Davis
SG - Eric Gordon
SF - Al Thornton
PF - Blake Griffin
C - Chris Kaman

Problem is, Dunleavy sucks

ElMarroAfamado
12-19-2009, 07:46 PM

i have been a clipper fan for a long time and i really agree with you here.....
what we need is a whole damn new identity and that begins with SOME NEW JERSEYS.....a new logo or something...especially those damn red jerseys they are so synonymous with losing thats its like just putting them on sucks the life out of the players

:facepalm:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Knicks

Toenail Clipper
12-19-2009, 07:48 PM
i have been a clipper fan for a long time and i really agree with you here.....
what we need is a whole damn new identity and that begins with SOME NEW JERSEYS.....a new logo or something...especially those damn red jerseys they are so synonymous with losing thats its like just putting them on sucks the life out of the players

:facepalm:

I like the Red and Blue Jerseys, I just don't like the dumb home jerseys

Reversed86Curse
12-19-2009, 07:51 PM
The Clippers, I may be biased but whatever.
To those who say the Knicks have a lot of caps, the Clippers have tons of Free Agents as well and their starting line up is solid.

PG - Baron Davis
SG - Eric Gordon
SF - Al Thornton
PF - Blake Griffin
C - Chris Kaman

Problem is, Dunleavy sucks

Other problem with Clippers is Griffin has yet to play and who can tell how he'll perform once he gets back from his broken knee- could be the next Oden.

Either way, Clippers will have a better team before NY, who I don't think will get one of the top free agents next year either

smith&wesson
12-19-2009, 08:30 PM

and the knicks arent ? you dont know bout the ewing curse ??

thedfactor
12-19-2009, 08:54 PM
The Knicks. The Clippers will always be overshadowed by the Lakers in that city. Even in the 06-07 season or whenever the Clips made the playoffs and lost to the Suns, they were recognized, but not quite respected.

The Clippers definitely have the better team on paper and talent down the roster, but fail to do really that much better than the Knicks. Yes, the western conference poses tougher matchups night in and night out, but the teams perform rather equally.

New York is hard on its teams, but they love their teams. Knicks always draw big crowds at MSG, the same cannot be said about the Clippers at Staples.

The Knicks, like the Clips, have gone through several seasons of hell, but future chances to be a respectable franchise once again favor the team in NY.

GspLAL
12-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Clippers need a new coach BADLY. They have good pieces but they're just not utilized correctly it seems.

Slimsim
12-19-2009, 09:33 PM
Hmm

Clippers Future
Blake
Thorton
Gordan
Telfair

Knicks Future
Gallo
Chandler
Douglas
Hill

mshan5
12-20-2009, 12:11 AM
The Knicks are going to have a much different roster next season, but not because they're going to make a huge splash in free agency. They most likely won't land LeBron or Wade, and David Lee will probably earn a much larger contract somewhere else. The Knicks might end up signing (and overpaying) Amar'e and Joe Johnson, but only because they're D'Antoni guys. They still won't have a point guard unless Toney Douglas improves dramatically and they still won't have a center to compete with Dwight Howard in the East.

On the other hand, the Clippers are even farther from becoming significant because Al Thornton needs another year or two before he becomes a respectable player and who knows how good Blake Griffin will be when healthy.

knicks09
12-20-2009, 01:03 AM
All I'm saying is it's not "a lock" that NY will get one or two superstars as was stated by a previous post. The Knicks cannot even afford two max contracts unless Lee and Nate do not return next year, and they move Eddy Curry's contract, which won't happen.

First of all, Nate Robinson is on the verge of getting traded. Second of all we don't HAVE to move curry's contract, we can trade jeffries contract and the way he's been playing latley give him a lot of value. Plus we can package Jeffries with the Nate trade

thrilla11
12-20-2009, 01:21 AM
The Clippers but i'm obviously a Clipper fan :D
We'll see... I would love to see both franchises rise up in the coming years.
Both have dedicated fans and both deserve better in my opinion.
Next year, both teams should rise into playoff contention with the coming off season.
I can't wait :clap:

GoatMilk
12-20-2009, 01:33 AM
Clippers since they're going to be getting LeBron James this summer

abe_froman
12-20-2009, 01:57 AM
knicks easily

yeah clips look good on paper,but many of you are forgetting the golden rule about the clippers."something will go wrong,something always goes wrong"

hell they could put a line up of: cp3/kobe/lebron/bosh/howard and they'd still find a way to lose.they'd all either start getting freak injuries all the time or suddenly forget how to be good at basketball

calibird707
12-20-2009, 03:04 AM
The fact that has been overlooked is lebron elevates his teams play..u put him and even a solid second tier player and everything changes..this years crappy knicks with no enticing pieces is playing much better than the little brother nets...with all that talent...what a joke open your eyes knick haters.if lebron leaves cleveland he's comin to thw garden plain and simple...writings been on the wall for sometime now..he's stll young enough to be patient and if he waits one year he could be playin with cp3 in 2011..take him off that cleveland team and they probably win 20 games..keep hatin on us while were down but the truth is Isaiahs stench is almost gone.

boeknows
12-20-2009, 03:25 AM
The fact that has been overlooked is lebron elevates his teams play..u put him and even a solid second tier player and everything changes..this years crappy knicks with no enticing pieces is playing much better than the little brother nets...with all that talent...what a joke open your eyes knick haters.if lebron leaves cleveland he's comin to thw garden plain and simple...writings been on the wall for sometime now..he's stll young enough to be patient and if he waits one year he could be playin with cp3 in 2011..take him off that cleveland team and they probably win 20 games..keep hatin on us while were down but the truth is Isaiahs stench is almost gone.

Wow so u think u are getting Lebron this year and CP3 next year?

calibird707
12-20-2009, 04:02 AM
All I'm sayin is we got the bread to get lebron next year and in 11 another max cp3 is a fa in 11.its possible

Cubsfan365
12-20-2009, 04:02 AM
First of all, Nate Robinson is on the verge of getting traded. Second of all we don't HAVE to move curry's contract, we can trade jeffries contract and the way he's been playing latley give him a lot of value. Plus we can package Jeffries with the Nate trade
Jeffries does not and will never have a lot of trade value

ElMarroAfamado
12-20-2009, 04:09 AM
knicks easily

yeah clips look good on paper,but many of you are forgetting the golden rule about the clippers."something will go wrong,something always goes wrong"

hell they could put a line up of: cp3/kobe/lebron/bosh/howard and they'd still find a way to lose.they'd all either start getting freak injuries all the time or suddenly forget how to be good at basketball

ima clippers fan but i have to agree there :facepalm:
great thread by the way
;)

that guy wilson chandler is a beast by the way

abe_froman
12-20-2009, 04:31 AM
ima clippers fan but i have to agree there :facepalm:

i feel for ya man.it shouldnt have to be that way,but sadly...

Trouble87
12-20-2009, 04:35 AM
Who Will be a Respectable Franchise First: The Clippers or the Knicks?

I find that question insulting as a Knick fan

The Knicks have 2 championships, 8 conference titles, and 9 division titles

We've been a respectable franchise since the formation of the NBA and will return to our old winning ways soon enough

To compare The Knicks to a team who has only 6 winning seasons in their entire team history is ridiculous.

Clippers always seem have a young core at some point... Remember when they had Odom, Miles, Q-Rich, Dooling, Brand, Magette, and McInnis in 2001/02?

what happen with that?

knicks have been bad for maybe 6 or 7 years, The Clips have been bad since 84

not knocking anyone's fav team but IMO to compare NYK with LAC is ridiculous

as long as Donald Sterling owns it and Dunleavy coaches it LAC will be a dud

todu82
12-20-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm going with the Clippers.

commonsense12
12-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Write it down, the Knicks will make a huge splash this summer. Besides the prestige of playing in NY, there is tons of marketing income that comes with playing here. A star player will add millions of dollars of bank from ads. Why would anyone pass that up? Plus with the ability to sign guys this summer and next summer a winner could be made fairly fast.

Oh and to be honest i still think Lebron is going to the Knicks. He is tired of no help on Cleveland.

jimm120
12-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Clippers have Griffin but Knicks have a ton of cap space in 2010 and 2011. I'll go with my Knicks due to free agency.

This.

People talk about 2010 only but the Knicks, if they can't sign 2 MAX players in 2010 can sign 1 MAX in 2010 and another MAX in 2011. The Knicks have a lot of money coming off the books.

Clips...they have Griffen and Gordon but man...its like they'll always fail.

Don Starks
12-20-2009, 12:06 PM
i get frustrated when people say crap like "the knicks will always be garbage" just because at the moment they arent good and because of moves made by a gm that doesnt work for the team anymore. i dont think its fair to say that about the clippers either, if they had a more competent coach and a more hands off owner they would probably be a playoff team right now considering the talent they have. i think they will be a really good team next year since they will be able to sign a F.A and have a good young core. if the knicks had drafted brandon jennings i would have said the knicks but unfortunately they have hill riding the bench.

HOZ THE KNICK
12-20-2009, 12:37 PM
the knicks have a couple of tricks up their sleeves ....folks sit back and watch the transformation.

Swift n Sil3nt
12-20-2009, 12:44 PM
While on paper the Clippers have a better team and a better supporting cast, especially when you consider that the majority of the Knicks roster will not return next year, then it would be easy to say that the Clippers would be the team to return to glory first. It would also be very easy to say that no free agent would want to come to the big apple.

However, i firmly believe that the Knicks are going to be the better team sooner, and a team that returns to glory. Regardless of how good the team is, people will want to play in the Sports Capital of the world. Regardless of the contract they sign, they will have the opportunity to make millions in endorsements, something that very few other cities can offer, something that no other city can offer that is under the cap.

I truly believe that the most important free agent is not Lebron James for the Knicks. You can call me crazy when i say that the most important free agent is Amare Stoudemire or Chris Bosh. These two guys are crucial for the Knicks, and they need to be signed early to whatever contract they can manage. Why? At that point in time with Stoudemire or Bosh, the Knicks would then have a better supporting cast than the Cavaliers, if they dont already, and i think that may be enough to motivate Lebron to come here.

PG: Toney Douglas
SG: Lebron James
SF: Wilson Chandler
PF: Danillo Gallinari
C: Amare Stoudemire

or

PG: Toney Douglas
SG: Wilson Chandler
SF: Danillo Gallinari
PF: Jordan Hill
C: Amare Stoudemire

In which case you still have money to go for someone big in the 2011 Free Agency. The Knicks do not need to settle and that will prove to be very big.

As for guys like Harrington and others, i think they may be willing to sign a cheaper deal to stick around with the Knicks if option A works out.

Trading Curry and Jeffries would be huge, and if Robinsons agent has requested a trade, well then Jeffries may be moving along with him

micks4real
12-20-2009, 01:28 PM
We talking bout the Clippers here man...

I go Knicks all day!!!!!!!

Pran Raznor
12-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Trading Curry and Jeffries would be huge, and if Robinsons agent has requested a trade, well then Jeffries may be moving along with him

So Robinson's value is so high, that someone would eat Jeffries contract? Lol

Toenail Clipper
12-20-2009, 01:45 PM
I find that question insulting as a Knick fan

The Knicks have 2 championships, 8 conference titles, and 9 division titles

We've been a respectable franchise since the formation of the NBA and will return to our old winning ways soon enough

To compare The Knicks to a team who has only 6 winning seasons in their entire team history is ridiculous.

Clippers always seem have a young core at some point... Remember when they had Odom, Miles, Q-Rich, Dooling, Brand, Magette, and McInnis in 2001/02?

what happen with that?

knicks have been bad for maybe 6 or 7 years, The Clips have been bad since 84

not knocking anyone's fav team but IMO to compare NYK with LAC is ridiculous

as long as Donald Sterling owns it and Dunleavy coaches it LAC will be a dud

We're talking about now, and the Clippers have Blake Griffin.
Who does New York have?
Hm.
Besides, you make it seem like the Clippers are FAAAR from the Knicks.
Well, who's done better THIS decade?

Raph12
12-20-2009, 02:04 PM
I'm gonna go with the Clipps, just because they have qualities of present and future. Whereas the Knicks are sort of just depending on the 2010 offseason to land somebody, anybody, to make this team relevant again.

HuRRiCaNeS324
12-20-2009, 02:09 PM
The Clippers. They have two really good young players in Eric Gordon and Blake Griffin and Al Thorton is pretty good too. Then they are gonna have a draft pick this year in which they can get another solid young player. The Knicks do not have a draft pick next year and their players aren't as good as the Clippers.

JWO35
12-20-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm going with the LA Clippers...Mainly because I'm a big Eric Gordon, and they have alot of Young players. The Knicks have nothing, their future lies in LeBron James hands...

Raidaz4Life
12-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Clippers

runforrestrunx9
12-20-2009, 02:38 PM
i think they will both be playoff teams next year. Knicks r guna make a splash in free agency and clippers have a great young core

vash9
12-21-2009, 01:29 PM
The New York Knicks.

Because they have Darko Milicic.

thrilla11
12-21-2009, 01:43 PM
This thread is pretty much becoming a Clippers versus Knicks fan debate
All the Knicks fans are of course backing up their team and the Clippers are backing up their own but if you look, most of the neutral fans are choosing the Clippers
That should show what the outlook is around the NBA that the Clippers are closer than the Knicks at this point
This offseason will determine everything
/ thread

HouRealCoach
12-21-2009, 01:58 PM
The Knicks are in New York.... New York teams are ALWAYS in the media; Yankees, Giants, etc. All they need is one great player and they are the talk of NBA along with Lakers, Bulls, and Celtics and then 76ers, and Pistons