PDA

View Full Version : Should all NBA players be allowed stints in the D-League?

Giaps
12-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Here is an article by FranK Isola and what he says about injured players makes a lot of sense:
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/knicks/

If Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez can do rehab assignments in the minor leagues, why can't Eddy Curry?

Think about it: Curry isn't helping the Knicks nor himself during his latest comeback. He played less than four minutes in Thursday's loss to the Chicago Bulls and the Knicks were outscored by 13 with Curry on the floor.

Curry hasn't faced live NBA competition in nearly two years and he's not going to find his rhythm and improve his condition playing four and five minutes a night. He should be sent to the D-League for two weeks, play five to seven games and stay on the court for 35 to 40 minutes.

For years, I've felt that the NBA is missing a great opportunity by not encouraging teams to assign players to the D-League to play a few rehab games. It would be good for the D-League and for the injured player. The Rockets should have done this with Tracy McGrady and the Knicks should do it now with Curry.

He's clearly not ready to help the Knicks. I don't know if Curry could help Springfield, the Knicks D-League affiliate, but Springfield could certainly help Curry.

Kakaroach
12-19-2009, 01:02 PM
I like this idea, especially for guys who haven't played in forever just like Eddy Curry or Agent 0 last year. Even coming from minor injuries like Kyle Korver and CJ Miles this season, doing something like this could have helped.

kswissdaf
12-19-2009, 01:03 PM
I like the idea maybe turn it into a minor league thing.

TheKing23
12-19-2009, 01:10 PM
What's stopping it? Can you not play in the D League if you have a guaranteed contract or something?

Giaps
12-19-2009, 03:59 PM
What's stopping it? Can you not play in the D League if you have a guaranteed contract or something?
I think only players in their first 2 years in the league can play... maybe 3. No vets can play.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-19-2009, 04:31 PM
haha t-mac to the league :facepalm:

IRUAM #21
12-19-2009, 04:38 PM
I like the Idea.

arkanian215
12-19-2009, 05:04 PM
i'm fine with it. doesnt every team have a d-league affiliate? i can imagine seeing oden, harris, bynum, mcgrady, yao etc helping the d-league draw some serious crowds. it'd be more money on the d-league side. i guess that means fewer fans might show up for the nba teams? must be a money thing or an image thing. i dont see why they wont do it.

mshan5
12-20-2009, 12:13 AM
It'd draw a lot more fans and bring in a lot more money for Mr. Stern (which is a plus considering how poorly the league has been doing economically in the states).

jimbobjarree
12-20-2009, 12:15 AM
nate robinson would be in there so fast

kblo247
12-20-2009, 12:15 AM
No they shouldn't be allowed unless if their actual team foots the bill for a D-league team of their own as most major teams share an affiliate

mdabstar
12-20-2009, 12:20 AM
they should implement this into the nba, but nba player's egos just get in the way too much

Tymer
12-20-2009, 12:38 AM
should only happen if the d-league team is owned by a single nba team and not shared

bleedgreenwhite
12-20-2009, 12:54 AM
should only happen if the d-league team is owned by a single nba team and not shared

great idea if it can be done like my man Tymer is suggesting a team would get a player back whos already shaken off some of the rust and i think it would make the dleauge more relavent could turn it into a true minors for hoops teams could create a farm system of sorts with young euro players undrafted FA's and Rooks not cracking the rotation

JasonJohnHorn
12-20-2009, 01:13 AM
Well this is a great idea, the only problem is that not all teams have a D-league affiliate. Some temas share a D-league team. I think this would be great for the NBA (not the D-league who would have talent come in and be gone by the time their playoffs roll around). Ideally each team should have a d-league team and could use that team bring up second round draft picks and guys that are coming back from injury, or developing undrafted prospects. the problem is that teams are only allowed to have 15 players under contract, so the d-league affiliate would only have 3 players from the team and if a team was developing a lplayer other teams could sign him away. Couple with that a lot of players have to much of an ego to "go down' to the d-league.

Here's to hoping the league sorts that out so the d-league could be used the way it should.

SA5195
12-20-2009, 01:15 AM
I like it.

Alot of players get major injuried, and when they recover, they can't get right back into NBA shape.

DenButsu
12-20-2009, 02:47 AM
nate robinson would be in there so fast

What would he be rehabbing? A bruised ego?

Shady66
12-20-2009, 03:09 AM
I like the idea, but players egos are way too big in this league.