PDA

View Full Version : Paul Pierce thinks they should raise the rim 3 inches and shorten NBA season

spreadeagle
12-18-2009, 06:35 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/ Says it will improve shooting,guys are too crazy of athletes now.Also shorting season to 60 games...Thoughts

black1605
12-18-2009, 06:36 PM
shorten the season: maybe

raise the rim: no

still1ballin
12-18-2009, 06:37 PM
:facepalm:

superkegger
12-18-2009, 06:46 PM
paul pierce is full of great ideas.

we should implement all of them.

TheHoopsProphet
12-18-2009, 06:49 PM
I say 2 inches. And the season def should be shortened.

Toenail Clipper
12-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Shortening the season means that it is lessening audience attendance because there are less days obviously.
There's no point of raising the rim.

Paul Pierce is a total fat joke

bal_ravens
12-18-2009, 06:55 PM
If he wants the season shortened, players should take WAY less money as well.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-18-2009, 07:03 PM
How tall in the rim anyways?

jimbobjarree
12-18-2009, 07:05 PM
is anyone caring what Pierce is saying after that Memphis comment anyway?

black1605
12-18-2009, 07:06 PM
How tall in the rim anyways?

ten feet

TheHoopsProphet
12-18-2009, 07:07 PM
New ideas always get laughed at until hell freezes over. I think pierce is somewhat right. But yea, player salaries after 2011 should be much cheaper too, if hes going to bytch about playing 82 games for tens of millions of dollars

MalkinIsMagic
12-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Paul Pierce got his paycheck today.

He made more than all of you idiots complaining. Bask in it. He gives 2 ***** what you think about him.

Gibby23
12-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Paul Pierce got his paycheck today.

He made more than all of you idiots complaining. Bask in it. He gives 2 ***** what you think about him.

Did he make more than you?

asandhu23
12-18-2009, 07:10 PM
i thought there was an age requirement to be senile.

Ray_R
12-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Paul Pierce is starting to get old so he wants less games.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-18-2009, 07:12 PM
ten feet

So if its 10 feet, it really makes no sense to make it 10'3".

It wouldn't make much of a difference. The guys he was thinking about when he said were players like Lebron, J-Smoove, and other high flyers but even if you raise it 3 feet, those guys would still be dunking.

Chronz
12-18-2009, 07:17 PM
In other words, Im not the athlete I once was and what to heighten my lone advantage, technique

Raoul Duke
12-18-2009, 07:19 PM
I think lengthening the shot clock and shortening the season are both great ideas. They also need to tighten up the playoffs because over half the league makes it into the postseason as is.

In addition, I'd like to see a hard cap and a changeup in salary structure to be more like the NFL, where a guy isn't necessarily guarunteed all the money in his contract. The current setup basically penalizes teams for being in small markets or not having billionaire owners.

blastmasta26
12-18-2009, 07:20 PM
i thought there was an age requirement to be senile.

:laugh:

Randy West
12-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Randy West thinks that if Paul Pierce would just shut up and play the world would be a better place.

BlondeBomber41
12-18-2009, 07:25 PM
I think lengthening the shot clock and shortening the season are both great ideas. They also need to tighten up the playoffs because over half the league makes it into the postseason as is.

In addition, I'd like to see a hard cap and a changeup in salary structure to be more like the NFL, where a guy isn't necessarily guarunteed all the money in his contract. The current setup basically penalizes teams for being in small markets or not having billionaire owners.

Lengthening the shot clock is a horrible idea. Its fine the way it is.

jojoe1188
12-18-2009, 07:35 PM
im a die-hard celts/pierce fan but he just needs to stfu......yes he has a valid point about athletes being ridiculous but raise the rim? really?

barreleffact
12-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Randy West thinks that if Paul Pierce would just shut up and play the world would be a better place.

lebron too.

they could shorten the season tho, but that would require less money for players which would be hard to initiate until the new CBA and the current contracts have all expired. with that being said, the rims??? really pierce?

smith&wesson
12-18-2009, 07:52 PM
In other words, Im not the athlete I once was and what to heighten my lone advantage, technique

exactly!

60 games because he getting old and it will take less of a toll on his body.

3 inches higher because he doesnt have the athletic ability any more and doesnt want guys like d howard blocking the **** out of him.

B.JenningsMVP
12-18-2009, 07:56 PM
wow....

runforrestrunx9
12-18-2009, 07:57 PM

hit it right on the ball there

RaiderLakersA's
12-18-2009, 07:58 PM
is anyone caring what Pierce is saying after that Memphis comment anyway?

This.

barreleffact
12-18-2009, 07:58 PM
exactly!

60 games because he getting old and it will take less of a toll on his body.

3 inches higher because he doesnt have the athletic ability any more and doesnt want guys like d howard blocking the **** out of him.

wouldnt that mean 3 inches lower??? im lost as to what the rim height has to do with getting blocked

BlondeBomber41
12-18-2009, 08:21 PM
wouldnt that mean 3 inches lower??? im lost as to what the rim height has to do with getting blocked

Theoretically if the rim was higher it probably would mean less blocked shots because it would take more arc to make the shot. I dont think 3 inches would do much difference though.

barreleffact
12-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Theoretically if the rim was higher it probably would mean less blocked shots because it would take more arc to make the shot. I dont think 3 inches would do much difference though.

thats like a double edged sword cuz that 3 inches gives the defender more time to block it before it peaks too. and if its gonna be blocked that defender is probably less than 4 feet in front of you. most likely about 2 so the more arch just gives them more leway to time their jump

bahama0811
12-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Paul Pierce is getting senile.

bleedprple&gold
12-18-2009, 08:32 PM
How the hell will raising the rim 3 inches improve shooting Paul? Guys have been playing on 10 foot hoops their whole lives. You raise it 3 inches and its gonna **** everyone's shot up while they have to readjust. Doesn't make sense. He just wants to make it harder for other guys to dunk now that he's getting old and it's hard for him.

thedfactor
12-18-2009, 08:32 PM
paul pierce is full of great ideas.

we should implement all of them.lol yes we should. not. Pierce come on man, seriously? Both bad ideas. I mean the season is pretty long, but as a fan I really enjoy watching my team play so it doesn't bother me. Playoffs is where its at though.

The rim to 13 in....
:facepalm:

biglord
12-18-2009, 08:47 PM
just retire already two stupid ideas.

Ethix11
12-18-2009, 08:50 PM
what an idiot.

and if you shorten the season, players make less money.

BoognishMN
12-18-2009, 09:19 PM
I think that shortning the season is a great idea. I enjoy the NBA playoffs, however I find the regular season espically the early part almost unwatchable.

This could be a sneaky way of bosting attendance as well.Not only would it leave less unimportant games to watch, but by reducing the amount of games to 60 that would take 22 games off the schedule. or 11 home games. Taking away these games would result in greater demand in add dolllars, TV rights, and tickets. In, addtion this would reduce cost of opperations(Salary for event staff, vendors, security, etc). This could help struggling teams compete better, more teams making a profit could lead to less salary dumps.

Raising the rim, no way!

ko8e24
12-18-2009, 09:23 PM
yuck, just yuck

:puke:

Kakaroach
12-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Not very good ideas, maybe shorten the season a few games, but not 22 lol. And no to the raising 3 inches idea.

wileyisTOFU
12-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Court should be bigger fo sho

Giaps
12-18-2009, 10:12 PM
He sounds lazy.

asandhu23
12-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Court should be bigger fo sho

jerseys should have advertisements like a nascar car

wileyisTOFU
12-18-2009, 10:22 PM
jerseys should have advertisements like a nascar car

Probally happen sooner then later

ws7L
12-18-2009, 10:23 PM
he needs to sit back down on his Hoveround and STFU

ARMIN12NBA
12-19-2009, 01:01 AM
The NBA won't lessen the games because that means less money earned with ticket sales as well as less advertisements from less nationally televised games (too much losing money over here).

They won't heighten the rim because it just doesn't make any sense. Keep the rim at 10 feet.

ko8e24
12-19-2009, 01:22 AM
wheelchair = g.o.a.t

TheKing23
12-19-2009, 01:39 AM
Paul Pierce should stick to what he does best... Trash talking and feigning injuries.

Chicagofaithful
12-19-2009, 01:44 AM
oh Thank God Paul Pierce told us this...

Raph12
12-19-2009, 01:50 AM
Pierce just doesn't want guys like Josh Smith, Lebron and Dwight jamming all over his aging Celtics, and shortening the season?... cmon, fans are bitter about the 3-month stiff in the first place. Seriously this guy doesn't know when to shutup, always making statements/giving suggestions that will make his team look good.

MTar786
12-19-2009, 10:37 AM
mr. wheel chair strikes again!

BADKNEES
12-19-2009, 09:45 PM
im a die-hard celts/pierce fan but he just needs to stfu......yes he has a valid point about athletes being ridiculous but raise the rim? really?

Why would you tell Paul Pierce to stfu if you're a fan. He voiced his opinion. Isn't that what you do on this forum.

or was that sarcasm?

BADKNEES
12-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Shortening the season means that it is lessening audience attendance because there are less days obviously.
There's no point of raising the rim.

Paul Pierce is a total fat joke

Generally I enjoy the comments you make however I must question why you say "Paul Pierce is a total fat joke" Do you mean he is actually fat as in overweight and endomorphic in body structure or are you trying to stress the degree to which he is a joke feeling he is not just a joke but a fat joke.

Please clarify.

Thx

Corey
12-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Why is there so much Pierce hate? Shortening the season has been discussed in the past, and actually has a large amount of supporters.

On top of that, with the athleticism of players these days, is heightening the rim a few inches THAT far fetched?

Mile High Champ
12-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Paul pierce is just an ***, I have no respect for him what so ever. These are just terrible ideas.

Corey
12-19-2009, 10:35 PM
Paul pierce is just an ***, I have no respect for him what so ever. These are just terrible ideas.

How are they terrible ideas?

barreleffact
12-19-2009, 10:48 PM
How are they terrible ideas?

the rim raising idea is terrible. it would change the game and only benefit the bigs and defenses. plus how do you get an entire nation to change its goal both in high school and on outside courts?

the lesser games is bad for the economy not for the players.

Corey
12-19-2009, 11:02 PM
the rim raising idea is terrible. it would change the game and only benefit the bigs and defenses. plus how do you get an entire nation to change its goal both in high school and on outside courts?

the lesser games is bad for the economy not for the players.

Less games doesn't negatively effect the economy that much at all. It just results in the owners making a little less dough, which I quite frankly do not care about.

Shortening a season makes the games that are played more meaningful and important.

barreleffact
12-19-2009, 11:35 PM
Less games doesn't negatively effect the economy that much at all. It just results in the owners making a little less dough, which I quite frankly do not care about.

Shortening a season makes the games that are played more meaningful and important.

owners would make less, staff would make less or get fired, ticket prices would raise to adjust. a lot of things would happen and ultimately the players make less too which in the end the only ones to benefit would be the owners because once they raise the prices and recoup losses theyd just keep making the extra money without sharing it with the ones making them richer. it does however make the games more important and give players less chance to get injured in terms of # of games played.

Kakaroach
12-19-2009, 11:50 PM
I think the heightening of the rim will actually happen sooner than everyone thinks, players get taller and more athletic by the decade. Shortening the season by the amount he has is just ridiculous, maybe like 5 games but not freaking 22.

thapharcyd
12-20-2009, 05:04 AM

:crazy:

barreleffact
12-20-2009, 05:21 AM
I think the heightening of the rim will actually happen sooner than everyone thinks, players get taller and more athletic by the decade. Shortening the season by the amount he has is just ridiculous, maybe like 5 games but not freaking 22.

i could see the season shortened b4 i can see the rim raised. i just dont see the rim being raised ever. there is no point

Evolution23
12-20-2009, 07:48 AM
cause hes getting old and cant dunk like he used to and he can't stay healthy for 82 games

TheWatcher34
12-20-2009, 09:24 AM
all of u fundamental haters: stay realistic! PP writes a ********* blog and people on PSD enjoy running their immature mouths about it. :facepalm: :cry: :facepalm: :cry: :facepalm: the content of PP's blog is completely hypothetical: what if..... and PP's arguments/ideas are backed up by reason, if he thinks so...let it be! basketball itself (or certain rules) might need some change after all because over the last decades athletes have changed, salaries are exploding, injuries have become more severe, the physical and mental pressure has increased etc. etc. so why do most of u wana nail PP on a cross just for thinking out loud about the dynamics of pro basketball and trying introduce possible adjustments to maintain or to rebuild balance in the world of pro basketball??
pathetic.

SlaterRaps
12-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Maybe would improve shooting in the long run
but for the couple seasons after it was implemented it would make for terrible shooting percentages

Lil Rhody
12-20-2009, 10:53 AM
IF you raised the rim then Shaq prob wont score any points

Rosh
12-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Shorten the season? So the worn and weary Celtics can try to have more energy for future championships? :laugh2:

Kakaroach
12-20-2009, 11:25 AM
i could see the season shortened b4 i can see the rim raised. i just dont see the rim being raised ever. there is no point How not? When all the PGs' in the league are 6'6+ and can easily dunk or when all the centers have to get on their tip-toes like Yao Ming to dunk? Heightening the rim will happen, its just a matter of when really. But you could be right about the season being shortened, even though I don't think owners would approve of it, less money for them.

boston_fan_ct
12-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Let's see if he still wants it when they lower his salary to adjust for less games played. I do believe the season is too long, but I believe that for all sports with the exception of the NFL. I believe the NBA needs to lengthen and widen the court, and then do something about the 3 point line (too much outside shooting for me). They need to open up the game and get more action around the rim.

NYKnicks4511
12-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Pierces comment was more figurative than anything IMO. He's just making a point that the real skill that it takes to make it in the NBA is becoming less and less of a factor in today's game. With people driving and dunking over people 24/7 , raising the rim would eliminate some of the fake competition.

Don't agree with it but I can see what he's saying.

LanceUpperCut
12-20-2009, 11:55 AM
How not? When all the PGs' in the league are 6'6+ and can easily dunk or when all the centers have to get on their tip-toes like Yao Ming to dunk? Heightening the rim will happen, its just a matter of when really. But you could be right about the season being shortened, even though I don't think owners would approve of it, less money for them.

Are people really growing that much taller, yes maybe more athletic but to me taking away dunks is probley not in the NBA's list of things to do to draw more fans in. **** hockey plays 82 games to and ****ing baseball plays 162 ya I know there not the same but come on peirce don't be such a *****.

Sly Guy
12-20-2009, 12:25 PM
raise the rim to improve shooting?

#1 It'll decrease player's shooting ranges, making the court smaller and easier to defend.
#2 Just shoot with more arc if you're worried about your percentage.

Too many players come into the pros as athletes but no jumpshot, so take your medicine and develop one if you're shooting 20' line drives.

The_Ocho_24
12-20-2009, 12:43 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/ Says it will improve shooting,guys are too crazy of athletes now.Also shorting season to 60 games...Thoughts

i wouldnt mind the shortened season... but raising the rims 3 inches would make all basketball hoops around the US obsolete lol... US would have to adjust to 10 ft rims for all international play... which means we would probably wouldnt see any gold medals...

meltbakins
12-20-2009, 01:31 PM
he want less games cause he is getting to old but i bet he would not give back any of his money if they were to do it so it would mean everyone would pay a lot more money to go to games

Catoblepas
12-20-2009, 01:31 PM
60 games? if that happens then.. they would probably get a 25% pay cut lol... And/or do more out of conference games during the season.

jimbobjarree
12-20-2009, 08:10 PM
nooo we dont want a shortened season