PDA

View Full Version : Dirk the most clutch?

G-Funk
12-17-2009, 01:37 PM
According to Elias Stats Bureau, Nowitzki has knocked down an NBA-best eight game-winning shots -- three this season -- in the final two seconds since 2005-06. Dwyane Wade ranks second with five.

Nowitzki has hit 10 game winners in the final 10 seconds during that span, tied for first through Wednesday with Kobe Bryant and one ahead of David West and Chauncey Billups.

Nowitzki annually ranks among the league's top clutch scorers, as calculated by 82games.com, which defines "clutch" as less than five minutes remaining and neither team ahead by more than five points. Nowitzki has averaged more than 40 points per 48 minutes in those situations in five of the past six seasons (39.3 in 2005-06 is the exception). He's averaging a career-best 47.1 points per 48 clutch minutes this season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/columns/story?columnist=macmahon_tim&id=4747343

miller74
12-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Not to clutch in the NBA (what matters most) was he. Kobe or Lebron

Raph12
12-17-2009, 01:44 PM
He's pretty damn clutch, but the playoffs is where it counts, he hasn't shown up strong for a while now.

DirkIsTheBest
12-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Dirk is the best player in the league right now.
Dirk >>>> Kobe+Lebron

wallerstud06
12-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Dirk the most clutch hahahahaha??? and clutch should be defined by the last three or two minutes of the game. Kobe and Lebron are more clutch. Dirk is a awesome regular seaon player but is not in the playoffs

Reddd
12-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Dirk >>>> Kobe+Lebron

I'll start.
:facepalm:

bigsams50
12-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Dirk >>>> Kobe+Lebron

I have a feeling that you think dirk is the best

$ NyC $
12-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Dirk isn't better than Kobe are LBJ but he definitely deserves respect and i agree is one of the clutchest (nice word) players. Dude is stone cold in the clutch and comes up big. That turn-around step back fade away J is BEASTLY

Reddd
12-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Dirk isn't better than Kobe are LBJ but he definitely deserves respect and i agree is one of the clutchest (nice word) players. Dude is stone cold in the clutch and comes up big. That turn-around step back fade away J is BEASTLY

This

Raoul Duke
12-17-2009, 02:31 PM
He really is pretty sick with the game on the line. I don't know that he's "the most clutch", but he's certainly as good in those situations as anyone currently playing.

If the game is on the line and I have to choose between Dirk, Kobe, Lebron, Wade and Chauncey...

...well, then I guess I draw names out of a hat.

nigerianking
12-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Wait...Why is Lebron's name mentioned in the same sentence as Kobe in term of being clutch? Because he hit that 3 pointer against Orlando? Come on, its not even close

1. Kobe
2. Dirk/Wade

Raoul Duke
12-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Wait...Why is Lebron's name mentioned in the same sentence as Kobe in term of being clutch? Because he hit that 3 pointer against Orlando? Come on, its not even close

Bite your tongue. I watched him singlehandedly dismantle my Pistons in 2007. If that wasn't one of the most clutch performances in NBA history, then I don't know what would be.

Please don't turn this into another Kobe vs.Lebron thread.

nigerianking
12-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Bite your tongue. I watched him singlehandedly dismantle my Pistons in 2007. If that wasn't one of the most clutch performances in NBA history, then I don't know what would be.

Please don't turn this into another Kobe vs.Lebron thread.

haha....no please, i dont want that...i agree, that may have been the best playoff performance of all time...but one game per year does not put him in that most clutch category

nigerianking
12-17-2009, 02:45 PM
i mean...do we really view Lebron as stone cold in the clutch? Hes a top 2 player in the world, but he doesnt quite have that quality on a nightly basis yet

Raoul Duke
12-17-2009, 02:48 PM
i mean...do we really view Lebron as stone cold in the clutch? Hes a top 2 player in the world, but he doesnt quite have that quality on a nightly basis yet

I can dig that. If he was on my team, I'd have complete confidence in him with the game on the line, but you're probably right that he doesn't quite compare with the other 4 guys I mentioned in terms of being known for hitting big shots.

nigerianking
12-17-2009, 02:59 PM
I can dig that. If he was on my team, I'd have complete confidence in him with the game on the line, but you're probably right that he doesn't quite compare with the other 4 guys I mentioned in terms of being known for hitting big shots.

yea...Lebron will have his chance and I'm sure he'll be in that category eventually

20R8ersfaN08
12-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Dirk >>>> Kobe+Lebron

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm:

Storch
12-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Kobe just hit 2 game winners this season.

20R8ersfaN08
12-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Kobe's middle name is Clutch

Storch
12-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Kobe's middle name is Clutch

kobe eats clutch for breakfast

ElFuturoDeESPN
12-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Kobe, and it's not even close.

See: Last night against the Bucks.

Ray_R
12-17-2009, 03:19 PM
I'll start.
:facepalm:

ill second that motion :facepalm:

DAL*CWB
12-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Not to clutch in the NBA (what matters most) was he. Kobe or Lebron

what has lebron done???

IrespectNumber3
12-17-2009, 03:37 PM
1) Kobe
1a) Kobe
1b) Kobe
2)Wade NBA Finals speaks for itself
3) Nowitzki See 2 / Ray Allen if you don't get nervous when he touches the ball in the end of the game you haven't seen him do it, but will in a few seconds. Ask bobcat, bulls fans.
4) Chauncey Billups Again another player who when he takes the last shot aggravates you. Paul Pierce is also in this same boat, you know its coming and he won't miss.

5) Lebron hes clutch but only 2 buzzer beaters to his name. He is very efficient in the end of the game though. Carmelo Anthony very clutch in the last moments of a game

Toenail Clipper
12-17-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm sure Kobe has tons of clutch moments, even early in his career when he still got that Afro! 1. Kobe 2. Wade 3. Allen 4. Nowitzki 5. B. Gordon

ragee
12-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Dirk is my favorite player in the league right now but I don't think he is the best in the clutch but he is one of the best...

tbomlad
12-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Kobe is the most clutch hands down.

wallerstud06
12-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Ummm Lebron is not that clutch....

Toenail Clipper
12-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Dirk >>>> Kobe+Lebron

http://www.ugo.com/tv/best-tv-characters-of-all-time/images/entries/homer-simpson.jpg

NickyNick
12-17-2009, 04:08 PM
if i had to give the ball to one player for the last shot it would be kobe, then wade, and if it was a 3 pointer ray allen

but if it was of players all time i have to go with reggie miller

Verbal Christ
12-17-2009, 06:57 PM
if elias says it so then it must be true

BlondeBomber41
12-17-2009, 08:23 PM
I always feel very confident when its Dirk taking the last shot. He almos always seems to come through.

DenButsu
12-17-2009, 08:52 PM
I really wish people would get away from the (mistaken) concept that "game winners" are the only measure of "clutch play".

For example. I think Billups is a very clutch player, but you won't see him taking the final shot of the game too often, since the ball will usually find its way to Melo's hands in those end of game situations. But what you will see from Chauncey, time and time again, is his ability to make big plays mid-game that, to me, basically save the game. When the opposing team is gaining momentum and starting to go on a run that looks like it's going to stretch a 7 point lead into a 15 point lead, Chauncey will usually be the guy on his team to stop the bleeding with a couple clutch pull-up 3s and a couple drives that draw fouls. He's a momentum shifter, and I've seen a lot of Nuggets games where Denver was basically able to cruise through the 4th quarter holding onto their lead because Billups was at the helm earlier, changing a halftime deficit to a 3rd quarter comeback. That's just one example, there are many others, but my main point is that people should take a wider view of "clutch" than "buzzer beater", because clutch play really encompasses so much more.

------------------------
---------------------------

More to the point of the thread, Dirk is consistently high up there on 82games clutch stats, and in general he has a lot of big 4th quarters. I don't know if a single player can really be single out as the "most clutch" (I think Melo was named "clutchest player" a couple years back, maybe LeBron the year after that, and Kobe the year after that), but if I were to make a short list of NBA players who I'd give the ball to at the end of the game, Dirk would definitely be on it.

I'll still take Melo, though, just as a personal preference. :cool:

runforrestrunx9
12-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Dirk >>>> Kobe+Lebron

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: hahahahahahahahahahahah :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm:

runforrestrunx9
12-17-2009, 09:03 PM
I really wish people would get away from the (mistaken) concept that "game winners" are the only measure of "clutch play".

For example. I think Billups is a very clutch player, but you won't see him taking the final shot of the game too often, since the ball will usually find its way to Melo's hands in those end of game situations. But what you will see from Chauncey, time and time again, is his ability to make big plays mid-game that, to me, basically save the game. When the opposing team is gaining momentum and starting to go on a run that looks like it's going to stretch a 7 point lead into a 15 point lead, Chauncey will usually be the guy on his team to stop the bleeding with a couple clutch pull-up 3s and a couple drives that draw fouls. He's a momentum shifter, and I've seen a lot of Nuggets games where Denver was basically able to cruise through the 4th quarter holding onto their lead because Billups was at the helm earlier, changing a halftime deficit to a 3rd quarter comeback. That's just one example, there are many others, but my main point is that people should take a wider view of "clutch" than "buzzer beater", because clutch play really encompasses so much more.

------------------------

More to the point of the thread, Dirk is consistently high up there on 82games clutch stats, and in general he has a lot of big 4th quarters. I don't know if a single player can really be single out as the "most clutch" (I think Melo was named "clutchest player" a couple years back, maybe LeBron the year after that, and Kobe the year after that), but if I were to make a short list of NBA players who I'd give the ball to at the end of the game, Dirk would definitely be on it.

well put

i.got.the.nutz
12-17-2009, 09:13 PM

------------------------

Billups is definitely a player where you can't look at stats to judge the impact he has on the game. There should be an award called the Billups award, where a player means more to the team than numbers tell.

Bishnoff
12-17-2009, 09:19 PM
And how many has Dirk hit in the Playoffs? You can't call a choker “clutch”.

asmarks18
12-17-2009, 09:52 PM
I as well feel very confident at the end of games with the ball in Dirks hands. He is more clutch then everyone gives him credit for. And those stats prove that. But people who say his play in the playoffs isn't as good as it should be. He was excellent in the Denver series last season. I know we lost in 5 but it wasn't because of Dirk. It was because Denver was just a way better team.

MackSnackWrap
12-17-2009, 09:53 PM
no not even close to the most clutch

asmarks18
12-17-2009, 09:56 PM
I love LeBron, Wade and Kobes game and I won't argue who is more clutch but by saying not even close. That just shows you the disrespect Dirk gets. He has to be the most disrespected player in the NBA. And whether you think it or not. He is a superstar and he steps up for his team. That is a fact.

DenButsu
12-17-2009, 10:08 PM
And how many has Dirk hit in the Playoffs? You can't call a choker “clutch”.

Hi, welcome to the 2009-10 NBA season. Did you enjoy your stay in 3 seasons ago?

People put way too much stock in that single bad outing by Dirk and the Mavs and ignore the rest of his career. Just last season, for example, he was an absolute beast against the Nuggets.

His career playoff averages (over 97 games, which says something in itself):

25.5 ppg on a .576 TS%
11 reb, 2.6 ast
PER = 24.4

I'm not a fan of Dirk, but to claim he doesn't play well in the playoffs (or in general) is just plain inaccurate.

asmarks18
12-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Hi, welcome to the 2009-10 NBA season. Did you enjoy your stay in 3 seasons ago?

People put way too much stock in that single bad outing by Dirk and the Mavs and ignore the rest of his career. Just last season, for example, he was an absolute beast against the Nuggets.

25.5 ppg on a .576 TS%
11 reb, 2.6 ast
PER = 24.4

I'm not a fan of Dirk, but to claim he doesn't play well in the playoffs (or in general) is just plain inaccurate.

Well said. :clap:

arkanian215
12-17-2009, 10:18 PM
nice dirk is really clutch at least by their definition. lol some of you can't stand giving this guy props for some reason.

Bishnoff
12-17-2009, 10:24 PM

25.5 ppg on a .576 TS%
11 reb, 2.6 ast
PER = 24.4

Pfft. The Mavs have been under-performers in the Playoffs with Dirk. Don't throw stats at me like it's the be all and end all. Clutch means winning games when it counts and as the Mavs' franchise player Dirk has to take a fair percentage of the blame for his team's failures.

I'm not saying that Dirk isn't an awesome player, I'm just questioning him as a "clutch" player.

Kakaroach
12-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Dirk was pretty clutch when he scored 31496621960 points against the Jazz in the 4th quarter and won the game.

Bishnoff
12-17-2009, 11:13 PM
Dirk was pretty clutch when he scored 31496621960 points against the Jazz in the 4th quarter and won the game.

NBA Live ## & NBA 2k# stats don't count.

Kakaroach
12-17-2009, 11:16 PM
NBA Live ## & NBA 2k# stats don't count. lolwut Obviously he didn't score that much, but he had like 26 or 28 points in the 4th quarter when the Jazz had a double-digit lead but he brought him back and they won the game. I'd say Dirk is pretty clutch.

Mavrix
12-17-2009, 11:19 PM
lolwut Obviously he didn't score that much, but he had like 26 or 28 points in the 4th quarter when the Jazz had a double-digit lead but he brought him back and they won the game. I'd say Dirk is pretty clutch.

He had 29 setting the franchise record

Bishnoff
12-17-2009, 11:28 PM
He had 29 setting the franchise record

That's pretty clutch. I guess it's just the majority of the 4th quarters that I have witnessed where he's gone quiet.

thedfactor
12-17-2009, 11:51 PM
Dirk is a clutch player, hands down. I'm not going to say he's the most clutch though. These numbers say so, but of active players I would choose Kobe first. Besides those two, I like my chances with DWade, Ben Gordon, Derek Fisher, or Chauncey.

As a Mavericks fan I am always comfortable with the ball in Dirk's hands with the game on the line. This season in the 4th and OT he's 55-55 on free throws. That's somewhat clutch too.

Mavrix
12-18-2009, 01:03 AM
Dirk is a clutch player, hands down. I'm not going to say he's the most clutch though. These numbers say so, but of active players I would choose Kobe first. Besides those two, I like my chances with DWade, Ben Gordon, Derek Fisher, or Chauncey.

As a Mavericks fan I am always comfortable with the ball in Dirk's hands with the game on the line. This season in the 4th and OT he's 55-55 on free throws. That's somewhat clutch too.

That's not somewhat, that is clutch lol.

heathonater
12-18-2009, 01:30 AM
where did dirk go during the 2006 nba finals. wasn't exactly a clutch performance by him, which lead to the mavericks losing the finals after being up 2-0.

BlondeBomber41
12-18-2009, 01:35 AM
^ and Kobe was AWFUL in the 2004 Finals against the Pistons. Whats your point? Even the best players have bad series.

asmarks18
12-18-2009, 01:48 AM
I'd also like to add that LeBron has accomplished just as much as Dirk. 1 MVP 1 Finals appearance. I'm not saying Dirk is better than Bron, but people on here who disrespect Dirk and declare LeBron as god really tick me off.

Finals Performance

Game 1: Dirk- 16 points
Game 2: Dirk- 26 points
Game 3: Dirk- 30 points
Game 4: Dirk- 16 points
Game 5: Dirk- 20 points
Game 6: Dirk- 29 points

People get carried away with his Finals performance. He wasn't as good as he should have been but he did put in 3 monster games and the game he had 20 Josh had 25 and Jet had 35. When you have 3 players that give you a combined total of 80 points thats really good and should win you a game especially with the excellent role players we had. I'll say it again, Dirk could have played better but do you ever stop and realize how lousy Stackhouse, Harris, Van Horn, Dampier and Daniels played in games 3-6?

kobes2good
12-18-2009, 01:48 AM
This is the stupidest article to post when kobe has had like 2 amazing game winner in the past like week!

Evolution23
12-18-2009, 01:53 AM
According to Elias Stats Bureau, Nowitzki has knocked down an NBA-best eight game-winning shots -- three this season -- in the final two seconds since 2005-06. Dwyane Wade ranks second with five.

Nowitzki has hit 10 game winners in the final 10 seconds during that span, tied for first through Wednesday with Kobe Bryant and one ahead of David West and Chauncey Billups.

Nowitzki annually ranks among the league's top clutch scorers, as calculated by 82games.com, which defines "clutch" as less than five minutes remaining and neither team ahead by more than five points. Nowitzki has averaged more than 40 points per 48 minutes in those situations in five of the past six seasons (39.3 in 2005-06 is the exception). He's averaging a career-best 47.1 points per 48 clutch minutes this season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/columns/story?columnist=macmahon_tim&id=4747343

The most clutch are Melo, Lebron, and Kobe although Dirk is def up there
82games.com

Evolution23
12-18-2009, 01:55 AM

------------------------

yes

ko8e24
12-18-2009, 02:20 AM
Dirk=Simply Great

That's all I got to say.

ldc62
12-18-2009, 03:18 AM
I go Kobe first (Have to after those 2 buzzer beaters) and then Dirk. Then I have Lebron wayyyy at the bottom in terms of superstars.

heathonater
12-18-2009, 06:05 AM
still got to go with rober horry. don't care if he retired, but man was that got guy clutch. literally he could walk off the bench and nail a game winning shot like no other.

JayW_1023
12-18-2009, 07:01 AM
Dirk is definately the most clutch big man in the league.

thedfactor
12-18-2009, 08:26 AM
That's not somewhat, that is clutch lol.There was a bit of sarcasm in there lol.

Dirk=Simply Great

That's all I got to say.Yes sir.

MFFL2008
12-18-2009, 12:21 PM
DIRK is the man!!! He will always be underapreciated, but that's okay. He will get his championship this year!!! GO MAVS!!!

arkanian215
12-18-2009, 03:50 PM
anyone got a stat for the percentage of "clutch" shots made vs attempted? if say dirk takes 1000 clutch attempts and makes 32 and kobe takes 500 and makes 31, shouldn't kobe be the most "clutch?"

BlondeBomber41
12-18-2009, 04:09 PM
anyone got a stat for the percentage of "clutch" shots made vs attempted? if say dirk takes 1000 clutch attempts and makes 32 and kobe takes 500 and makes 31, shouldn't kobe be the most "clutch?"

Thats not the case here. Dont worry. It seems like every single time a shot is needed to be made Dirk makes it.

arkanian215
12-18-2009, 04:44 PM
i was just wondering if there was one. it'd be interesting to look at percentages rather than buzzer beaters. just for kicks.

VladTheImpaler
12-18-2009, 05:09 PM
People doubt that Dirk is up there after this season? The dude's won a bunch of games more or less by himself, like that Clippers one where the team was down big in the 4th and he just went crazy.