PDA

View Full Version : Do the Cavs need to make a change on the bench?

JasonJohnHorn
12-16-2009, 09:19 PM
I know Mike Brown has a great reputation for his defensive sets, but is he really the coach the Cavs need to win a title? I'm not saying the Cavs have put as much talent around LBJ as the Lakers have around Kobe (they haven't), and I'm not saying they have as much talent as the Celtics (they don't), but I do think they were good enough the last two seasons to get tot he finals. A 7 game series with Boston saw Brown rely a lot on simple isolation plays (which any grade school coach could draw up), while guys like Doc Rivers, Pop, Phil Jackson, Flip Saunders and Larry Brown have draw up great plays to get baskets and close out games. The Cavs should have been able to win the conference last year, and in '08 there were just no consistent offensive sets to help the Cavs close out games. And this season, despite the fact that the Cavs have tried to bring in some talent (Shaq, Powe, Moon, and Carter) to fill out the roster, Brown has been unable to capitalized on the up-sized backcourt and deep front court.

Do the Cavs need to make a change on the bench? Can Mike Brown compete with the Flips Saunders and Doc Rivers of the league, let alone the Pops and Jacksons? I'm not sure that he does, but I'm also not to sure who is available that would fit the bill, but it seems clear to me the Cavs need to make some changes on the bench if this team is seriously going to make a run for the title. Brown just doesn't seem to be a good playoff coach.

black1605
12-16-2009, 09:24 PM
No.

The Lakers put Gasol and Artest around Kobe.

The Celtics put KG and Allen around Pierce.

The Cavs put Shaq and Mo around Lebron.

The supporting cast is the problem, not the coach.

TheKing23
12-16-2009, 09:46 PM
No.

The Lakers put Gasol and Artest around Kobe.

The Celtics put KG and Allen around Pierce.

The Cavs put Shaq and Mo around Lebron.

The supporting cast is the problem, not the coach.

This.

But Mike Brown isn't helping...

kEviN21
12-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Lebron does have the support. If it's not the team then it must be the coach.

td0tsfinest
12-16-2009, 10:44 PM
woahhh..i wouldn't call Flip Saunders and Doc Rivers great coaches.

I've never really liked Mike Brown. To me, he never seemed to be a coach to Lebron, more like that annoying sidekick, kinda like Milhouse and Lebron's Bart. Brown's down to do anything, Lebron says.

ManRam
12-16-2009, 11:15 PM
I don't think Mike Brown is helping, but LeBron likes him, and that's all Cleveland should worry about right now: pleasing LBJ. The supporting cast is without a doubt the problem.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-17-2009, 12:08 AM
There isn't a lot of other reputable coaches around so he might be the best choice.

It's more of the supporting cast like everyone says.

And they need a star(I mean a real star) to play with Lebron if they want to get back to the finals because Lebron will not do it himself.