PDA

View Full Version : Blazers offer Miller for Battier

DRE'-MAC
12-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Quote:
The Blazers may not want to move Miller, but long-term injuries to Nicolas Batum, Travis Outlaw and Rudy Fernandez have left Portland with a gaping hole at small forward. Miller's three-year contract is only guaranteed for another year and a half, making him a reasonable acquisition. A source says Portland has at least broached the subject of Miller with Houston, hoping to pull Shane Battier from the Rockets' grasp. Good luck with that.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/12/14/morning.tip/index.html

Blazers must be crazy if they think they can offer Andre Miller, a declining point guard who is not as good as the Rockets 2 point guards they already have, for Shane Battier, one of the best defenders in the NBA.

Maybe if they found a 3rd team to send Miller to or if they threw in Rudy Fernandez.

Vinny642
12-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Battier would help

Shady66
12-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Makes no sence at all for the rockets

Shahrose
12-14-2009, 10:10 PM
wow battier would greatly help portland

JordansBulls
12-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Quote:
The Blazers may not want to move Miller, but long-term injuries to Nicolas Batum, Travis Outlaw and Rudy Fernandez have left Portland with a gaping hole at small forward. Miller's three-year contract is only guaranteed for another year and a half, making him a reasonable acquisition. A source says Portland has at least broached the subject of Miller with Houston, hoping to pull Shane Battier from the Rockets' grasp. Good luck with that.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/12/14/morning.tip/index.html

Blazers must be crazy if they think they can offer Andre Miller, a declining point guard who is not as good as the Rockets 2 point guards they already have, for Shane Battier, one of the best defenders in the NBA.

Maybe if they found a 3rd team to send Miller to or if they threw in Rudy Fernandez.

Battier would be the missing piece for the Blazers.

KB24PG16
12-14-2009, 10:11 PM
y would houston do it

Trouble87
12-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Rockets better not do it

AWC713
12-14-2009, 10:16 PM
maybe if you throw in that guy named lamarcus aldridge.

we have literally no need for miller. brooks and lowry are the strong points this year.

AWC713
12-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Rockets better not do it

im not worried, daryl morrey is one of, if not the, smartest GMs in the game.

goose15
12-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Brooks > Miller

Giaps
12-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Miller is overrated.

ChiSox219
12-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Morey laughed, asked the Blazers if they were being serious, and hung up the phone.

Cash
12-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Key word being the BLAZERS offered Miller for Battier, not the other way around.

blackjack_119
12-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Battier would be perfect, but picks would need to be involved for Portland to acquire Battier.

Hawkeye15
12-14-2009, 10:25 PM
why on earth would HOuston do this, with Aaron Brooks and Kyle Lowry at PG?????? haha
next!

Dmagic87
12-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Knicks should offer Wilson Chandler for Rudy Fernandez straight up...

king9er
12-14-2009, 10:28 PM
shane is a leader on that young team you dont get rid of that guy

Giaps
12-14-2009, 10:30 PM
Knicks should offer Wilson Chandler for Rudy Fernandez straight up...
I hope you're not serious.

nipo10847
12-14-2009, 10:32 PM
No way Houston does it...Blazers GM must on drug. Houston dont need a overrated pg, They have one of the brightest young pg's in the league. And battier is life of Houston team.

iggypop123
12-14-2009, 10:34 PM
how long did the rockets laugh at prichard?

rabueed
12-14-2009, 10:35 PM
while I definitely wouldn't do this if I were Houston, I think you guys are heavily overrating Battier. Someone said maybe Miller and Fernandez, and then someone else said if they throw in Aldridge???

come on, Aldridge, Miller, and Fernandez for Battier? Whoa.

I love Battier, though, great player, fundamental defender. It would be stupid for Houston to do a Battier-for-Miller swap, and i'm sure they know this already.

still1ballin
12-14-2009, 10:35 PM
dumb for rockets

jiggin
12-14-2009, 10:40 PM
why do people get so upset about a team making an offer for a player? Its a starting point in a negotiation...why the hell would they NOT try and low ball them? In fact, if portland came out offering too much you all would be mocking them.

Portland has picks this next draft that could be used, rights to some decent oversees players ect... you never know what could come once the ground work is set.

Personally, I think the Blazers are crazy for trading Miller, who has shown 20 point games are a regular for him when he gets consistent playing time. Throw in his assists and he is a solid veteran player on a short contract. But with half their team out to injuries...they don't have many other options unless they just want to ride out the storm.

is Mcgrady healthy? :)

thedfactor
12-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Battier would help several teams in the league, especially those competing for the title. Andre Miller is a cheap offer for a solid player like Shane. Plus, Brooks is the starter and better than Miller. They have Lowry as the backup, a job Miller probably would not want. No deal.

astrosmaniac
12-14-2009, 10:55 PM
while I definitely wouldn't do this if I were Houston, I think you guys are heavily overrating Battier. Someone said maybe Miller and Fernandez, and then someone else said if they throw in Aldridge???

I love Battier, though, great player, fundamental defender. It would be stupid for Houston to do a Battier-for-Miller swap, and i'm sure they know this already.

the aldridge comment was sarcastic

Dmagic87
12-14-2009, 10:55 PM
I hope you're not serious.

Dude I love Chandler but the man doesn't fit. I think Rudy is the ideal SG in a Mike D system.

I mean of course maximize some value if you can... but I don't think Chandler has tremendous value.

ChiSox219
12-14-2009, 11:00 PM

Battier is one of the best players in the league. His eFG% ranks 61st EVER, the same career mark as Yao Ming. He's a joy to watch and the only reason he isn't worth more is because of his age. Miller and Fernandez would be rejected, at least in my opinion.

Lo Porto
12-14-2009, 11:05 PM
At least Portland is trying, but they'll have to do better than that. Joe Priz for Battier and Brian Cook seems a lot more fair to me.

Giaps
12-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Dude I love Chandler but the man doesn't fit. I think Rudy is the ideal SG in a Mike D system.

I mean of course maximize some value if you can... but I don't think Chandler has tremendous value.
I like Rudy too but Chandler is too much. 13ppg, 5rpg, 1.5apg vs 8.5ppg, 2.5rpg, 2apg... plus Chandler is 2 years younger and Rudy has back issues. Only reason to give up Chandler is to package him with Curry or Jeffries.

Dmagic87
12-14-2009, 11:26 PM
At least Portland is trying, but they'll have to do better than that. Joe Priz for Battier and Brian Cook seems a lot more fair to me.

:facepalm:

Dmagic87
12-14-2009, 11:28 PM
I like Rudy too but Chandler is too much. 13ppg, 5rpg, 1.5apg vs 8.5ppg, 2.5rpg, 2apg... plus Chandler is 2 years younger and Rudy has back issues. Only reason to give up Chandler is to package him with Curry or Jeffries.

You know better not to look at the avgs. Rudy gets no time at all behind a top 5 SG. Doesn't matter, I am certain Portland would never give up Rudy for Chandler anyways.

blackjack_119
12-14-2009, 11:46 PM
You know better not to look at the avgs. Rudy gets no time at all behind a top 5 SG. Doesn't matter, I am certain Portland would never give up Rudy for Chandler anyways.

You better not look up efficiency, either.

HoopsDrive
12-14-2009, 11:47 PM
If Rockets accept this there's gonna be a whole lotta offers from scrub bigs for Yao... obviously they won't accept this if it's straight up, makes no sense at all for the Rockets.

ko8e24
12-14-2009, 11:49 PM
Rockets management would be ******** to let this trade happen

Hellcrooner
12-14-2009, 11:52 PM
add rudy to the deal and make me and houston fans happy,

Brooks, Rudy, Ariza and MIng that just needs a star and a pfwoard to be nasty.

they got the cap.

TEXAN BORN BOSH?

Kakaroach
12-15-2009, 12:07 AM
Yeah the Rockets will just laugh at this trade. Trade away the league's best perimeter defender for an aging PG on a bad contract when you already have Aaron Brooks? Not likely.

MJ-BULLS
12-15-2009, 12:09 AM
this would be a bad trade for the rockets battier is one of there best defensive players or the best defensive player in their team, plus if they were to get miller would he be the pg over brooks:confused:

wileyisTOFU
12-15-2009, 12:15 AM
yeahhhhhh we stopped taking on bad contracts when morey got here.

DerekRE_3
12-15-2009, 12:19 AM
The Rockets have no need for Miller with Brooks there.

Hellcrooner
12-15-2009, 12:23 AM
well for miller alone not but brooks, i think in teh long term wont be houstons answer at pg if they want to CONTEND for rings.

if they can get something more than MIller like Outlow, or Rudy they should do it IMO.

b_rad23
12-15-2009, 12:31 AM
Miller for Dahntay and Solomon Jones

ChiSox219
12-15-2009, 12:34 AM
Don't sleep on Kyle Lowry, I'd keep him over Andre Miller

RaptorizedKevin
12-15-2009, 12:39 AM
blazers gm is stupid. the best defender in this game ? for a old 34 year old man ? when they already have a great young pg in aaron brokos? give me a break kevin prichrad.

Spurred1
12-15-2009, 01:54 AM
Houston is doing much better than expected because of their defense. Battier is a huge part of that. From what I've seen of Miller, he is not a defensive minded player; there is no benefit in this for the Rockets.

Chronz
12-15-2009, 02:45 AM
Make it Rudy+Outlaw for Battier

commonsense12
12-15-2009, 03:19 AM

LoL I dont understand why Portland fans have such a high value for Pryzbilla?

commonsense12
12-15-2009, 03:21 AM
This makes zero sense for Houston. I think Portland's GM is trying though, he is a bit delusional though.

I also think everyone should go into the Portland forum and look at some of the trades they discuss there. I have found out that Przybilla is top center and Miller can attract some top talent.

ChiSox219
12-15-2009, 03:24 AM
LoL I dont understand why Portland fans have such a high value for Pryzbilla?

Pryzbilla is one of the best interior defenders in the league, he'd be a perfect fit next to a weak PF like Andrea Bargnani

Hellcrooner
12-15-2009, 03:31 AM
well i wath portland games since rudy is there and i can tell you pryz ias an over average STARTING center.

Storch
12-15-2009, 03:32 AM
throw in oden and u got a deal. ;)

pippsux
12-15-2009, 03:33 AM
I wish I could find the quote where I said Miller would not be a good addition to the Blazers. My boy Roy is not getting his touches. As for this trade, c'mon, Morey would be crazy to do this deal. Doesn't even help the Blazers. The Blazers either need to plant Aldridge's *** IN THE POST or get a HEALTHY low post threat to gell with Roy's perimeter game.

Hellcrooner
12-15-2009, 03:37 AM
^ that is hard to acomplish beause the better ones are firmly sealed ( stou and bosh ara as bad in D in the post as aldrige) and they still dont give up on oden.

blazerman
12-15-2009, 03:55 AM
I wish I could find the quote where I said Miller would not be a good addition to the Blazers. My boy Roy is not getting his touches. As for this trade, c'mon, Morey would be crazy to do this deal. Doesn't even help the Blazers. The Blazers either need to plant Aldridge's *** IN THE POST or get a HEALTHY low post threat to gell with Roy's perimeter game.

I remember reading your post on that, actually quite a few people felt that way. But Miller hasnt started even one game next to Roy, Blake was the 2 guard when Miller was in the starting lineup. Roy has relied on his one on one ability far too much this season and the defenses are just collapsing in on it when they see him just winding the clock down from the top of the key which has ultimately forced Roy to try and pass out to a wing causing TO's or he ends up taking a jumper instead of driving the lane.

All in all your right the Miller situation hasnt had the effect that some of us had hoped for, even being a Blazer fan, I think Roy hasnt been moving when he doesnt have the ball, which makes it tough for Miller and the other PG's to catch him coming off screens and cutting to the hoop.

I had hoped to see Aldridge improve his post game this yr too and he still hangs around the perimeter a little too much, granted he has a really effective jumper, he still needs to work the post alot more to take his game to another level.

It's kind of ironic how the two guys that got paid big this summer for the Blazers havent improved their game at all and they dont even get mentioned even a little for the slow start. Roy's insistance on Blake being the starting PG has been a disaster too, Blake cant hit the broad side of a barn from 10 ft this yr. I think last yr Blake overachieved. Injuries have been a killer as well but they happen to every team anyway.

I will say the Rockets have impressed me this yr by going out and competing every night no matter who is available for them, I would like to see the Blazers take a page out of the Rockets book on playing hard for 48 minutes every night.

Hellcrooner
12-15-2009, 04:05 AM
^if ruoy wants to handel the ball so much he shoudl be 'played at pg and start rudy (when healty) since he is way better than blake

tredigs
12-15-2009, 04:31 AM
WOW. You guys are seriously underrating Andre Miller. The "Aaron Brooks > Andre Miller this trades a joke!" talk is a little odd.
1. I don't like this trade, and think that Houston SHOULD try to keep going with what they have in Brooks/Lowry.
2. I like Aaron Brooks and think he has a great upside.

But Andre Miller is without a doubt a better point guard than Aaron Brooks. The Blazers (Brandon Roy) are playing Steve Blake over Miller, STEVE BLAKE! Miller can put up 15-20 pts, 6-7 assists and 5 boards all at a solid percentage with his eyes closed when he gets minutes in a system that is willing to work with him. What he is dealing with right now in Portland is a complete joke.

Roy and the Blazers need to let homeboy find a rhythm!

valade16
12-15-2009, 04:32 AM
You better not look up efficiency, either.

Yeah, and lets just discount that Fernandez has won multiple titles and MVPs overseas and can shoot 5 times better than chandler (most likely blindfolded)...

Chandler averaged 14.4 pts in 33 mins a night last year, this year he's averaging 13 points in 32 mins this year...

That's not impressive at all, ESPECIALLY in D'Antoni's system. Perhaps you forgot that the Blazers play one of the slowest paces in the league, yet Fernandez can somehow get 8.6 points in 23 minutes.

Adjusted for pace Fernandez would blow Chandler out of the water. But nice try...:rolleyes:

blazerman
12-15-2009, 05:09 AM
WOW. You guys are seriously underrating Andre Miller. The "Aaron Brooks > Andre Miller this trades a joke!" talk is a little odd.
1. I don't like this trade, and think that Houston SHOULD try to keep going with what they have in Brooks/Lowry.
2. I like Aaron Brooks and think he has a great upside.

But Andre Miller is without a doubt a better point guard than Aaron Brooks. The Blazers (Brandon Roy) are playing Steve Blake over Miller, STEVE BLAKE! Miller can put up 15-20 pts, 6-7 assists and 5 boards all at a solid percentage with his eyes closed when he gets minutes in a system that is willing to work with him. What he is dealing with right now in Portland is a complete joke.

Roy and the Blazers need to let homeboy find a rhythm!

I agree with you on that, Roy hasnt given Miller any love since he's been in Portland. I noticed Miller is like screw it then when he's on the court with Roy and just goes out and does his thing and does it well usually. I know Aldridge and Oden like playing with Miller, I think Aldridge and Miller connect better because Aldridge will get out on the break and get easy buckets because Miller looks to run when he can and will find the trailer almost everytime. I rarely see Roy giving a full effort in transition like Rudy,Aldridge,Outlaw, Miller and Webster. Roy and Blake just jog up the court unless they're the catalyst for the fastbreak, no hussle by them and neither of them work hard on getting open or cutting the lane when Miller is running the point (that irratates me).

I think Roy has sluffed off this yr in certain parts of his game and doesnt give 100% except in spurts, it kinda seems like he expects people to just to give him a green light and when they dont he complains to the refs alot more, I think I have seen him complain this yr more than the last 3 yrs combined. Also he doesnt move without the ball when he is on the court with Miller, he just stands and waits to get the ball back so he can run a set for himself and it just seems to alienate the rest of the team on offense.

All I know is a guy who just got a max contract and is the team leader sure hasnt done much to improve his game in other area's like moving without the ball and setting solid picks and he seems to be the guy who is holding up the progress of Miller and being accepted as a key player on the team. Also Roy's defense, that he plays better with Blake, is looking weaker by the day. Blake sucks and cant even hit an open J and he definitely is afraid of contact, I think he goes to the line about once a month and averages about 2 assists a game.

Problem is, Miller is looking like the fall guy on the PG situation because Roy has lobbied for Blake and even though Blake is the weakest defender of all the guards and the worst passer too, bottom line is Blake's a hack but he has Roy and McMillian on his nuts. So unfortunately Miller will be on display now as the starter (he should have been the start all along, instead of waiting til the wheels have fallen off), I guarantee you Miller will start tomorrow night against the Kings but for all the wrong reasons by Portland.

But if the Blazers were able to get Battier for Miller then I'd do that because I Bayless will get his chance, to bad it's not Blake on the trading block right now though instead of Miller.

blazerman
12-15-2009, 05:26 AM
Yeah, and lets just discount that Fernandez has won multiple titles and MVPs overseas and can shoot 5 times better than chandler (most likely blindfolded)...

Chandler averaged 14.4 pts in 33 mins a night last year, this year he's averaging 13 points in 32 mins this year...

That's not impressive at all, ESPECIALLY in D'Antoni's system. Perhaps you forgot that the Blazers play one of the slowest paces in the league, yet Fernandez can somehow get 8.6 points in 23 minutes.

Adjusted for pace Fernandez would blow Chandler out of the water. But nice try...:rolleyes:

Add to that that Rudy has Aldridge and Roy getting their shots first, Chandler is option A as much as anybody else on the knicks. But in Chandler's defense he's got game too. Both guys are young and could easily take a huge leap forward in the next few yrs, so this one could be debated for a while, Rudy is by far the more clutch shooter though.

commonsense12
12-15-2009, 05:27 AM
Pryzbilla is one of the best interior defenders in the league, he'd be a perfect fit next to a weak PF like Andrea Bargnani

Przybilla is a one sided player, who has been on 3 different teams in his 10 yr career and he has averaged only 20 mins of time a game. So pretty much he has been a backup his entire career. He is good defensively but he is terrible offensively. Now is that worth 8-10 mill, sorry i dont think so.

Anyways i would not do a Pryz for Battier trade and i wouldnt do this trade either if i was houston.

knickjames23
12-15-2009, 11:02 AM
wtf is portland thinking lol miller for battier hellz to the no ......it would help portland alot but not the rockets not one bit ....i doubt they break the teams chemistry just 2 add a player that cant shoot and plays mediocre defense

Hellcrooner
12-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Add to that that Rudy has Aldridge and Roy getting their shots first, Chandler is option A as much as anybody else on the knicks. But in Chandler's defense he's got game too. Both guys are young and could easily take a huge leap forward in the next few yrs, so this one could be debated for a while, Rudy is by far the more clutch shooter though. and that not taking on account that mcmillan uss hij jsut as a spot up 3 point shooter when he is a dude that can habnlde the ball, drive in, dunk, create his own shot etc etc

Tom81
12-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Makes no sence at all for the rockets

agreed ,they have Brooks .

AIMelo=KillaDUO
12-15-2009, 12:46 PM
IDK why Houston would do this since they have 2 young PG's in AB and Kyle Lowry

lance008
12-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Kyle Lowry is probably better than Miller when you consider their offense. I can't believe this is news as I can't believe this deal would even be considered.

dtmagnet
12-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Hah that's good for a laugh.

GeneWaldron#5
12-15-2009, 06:04 PM
There must be more to this than just Miller for Battier. As much as I'd love it to happen we're not getting Battier for just Miller, especially considering that Houston is not in need of a pg. There must be either picks, other players or maybe even another team involved if want to get anything done. Hopefully this is just the starting offer and we can put together some sort of package that Houston would want as I would love to get Battier on this team. I would guess most trades start off with low-ball offers and that could well be the case here. I hope so but I'm not holding my breath.

Verbal Christ
12-15-2009, 06:25 PM
portland has had a hardon for battier since the end of last season, something about 'leadership' :shrug: but why would we help out a conference foe during the season, and then for them to offer scraps is downright laughable, im sure morey is having some fun at their expense.

HouRealCoach
12-15-2009, 07:36 PM
I thought that Blazers management was good