PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant's Broken Finger: Minimum 6 Weeks to Heal---Will Other West Teams Move Up?

ko8e24
12-14-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm sure Kobe will stay play through it, but do you think he might be hurting the Lakers on both ends of the floor? And if he sits out, how will that affect the Lakers in the standings, and will other West teams be able to surpass the Laker's current regular season record?

http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/2009/12/12/kobes-finger-minimum-of-6-weeks-to-heal/26583/

SALT LAKE CITY — Kobe Bryant is projected to need a minimum of six weeks for the avulsion fracture on his right index finger to heal.

Although Phil Jackson estimated four-to-six weeks for Bryant to recover, the medical prognosis is actually a minimum of six weeks. That said, Bryant prides himself on healing or coming back from injury sooner than standard diagnosis.

Jackson also suggested Bryant will wear the splint on his finger for about two weeks, but that’s just speculation. The duration for Bryant to use the splint will depend basically on when it’s safe for him to remove it.

“It’s supposed to be a four-week thing — four-to-six to heal — but I would anticipate maybe a couple weeks of playing with it (the splint),” Jackson said.

Jackson said Bryant’s passing might be adversely affected as much as his shooting, and Bryant’s defensive activity might need to be scaled down to protect the finger. He is currently third in the NBA with 2.2 steals per game, trailing only Boston’s Rajon Rondo and Golden State’s Monta Ellis.

Bryant is second in the NBA in scoring at 28.4 points per game, trailing Denver’s Carmelo Anthony (30.3) and just ahead of Oklahoma City’s Kevin Durant (28.3) and Cleveland’s LeBron James (28.2).

ManRam
12-14-2009, 04:33 PM
So is he going to be out 4-6 weeks, or is he gonna play through it? Maybe I didn't read it carefully enough but I'm confused. I can't imagine a finger injury keeping him out.

Either way, they'll be fine. I think they still are a top 2-3 team even without Kobe. Pau, Bynum, Artest and Odom can definitely carry the weight. If he misses 14 games, I can see them going 11-3 or something like that.

Toenail Clipper
12-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Well, their loss in Utah resulted not because he had a broken finger but rather he had diarrhea. I'm sure he can overcome that broken finger, didn't he play with two broken fingers once?

ko8e24
12-14-2009, 04:40 PM
So is he going to be out 4-6 weeks, or is he gonna play through it? Maybe I didn't read it carefully enough but I'm confused. I can't imagine a finger injury keeping him out.

Either way, they'll be fine. I think they still are a top 2-3 team even without Kobe. Pau, Bynum, Artest and Odom can definitely carry the weight. If he misses 14 games, I can see them going 11-3 or something like that.

Well, he's gonna play thru it, but Phil said the injury may limit him offensively and defensively

jimbobjarree
12-14-2009, 05:10 PM
I think whatever illness he has now will hamper him more temporarily than his finger, Lakers should be fine. His shot was a little off though in Salt Lake but that could have been due to tiredness. He'll have to learn to adapt, in SL he carried on playing as if he was 100% and it hurt the Lakers badly.

D-Will4Prez
12-14-2009, 05:19 PM
going for 7 for 24 FG and 1 for 9 3pt with his broken finger it'd probably be better for the lakers to sit him until it heals >.>

ManRam
12-14-2009, 05:21 PM
^^ Yeah. If he keeps shooting under 33% than they have to bench him. He wont though, so it's moot.

ARMIN12NBA
12-14-2009, 09:12 PM

He is playing through it.

29$JerZ
12-14-2009, 09:16 PM
As long as he doesn't aggravate the finger and cause more damage Lakers will be fine.

KB24PG16
12-14-2009, 09:28 PM
maybe now the bench will have some pressure to actually earn their money

Hawkeye15
12-14-2009, 09:41 PM
since when has an injury stopped Kobe? Didn't he play with a torn ligament for like a year in his left hand? That seemed to really slow him down. The dude has the pain tolerance of a woman giving birth

TheKing23
12-14-2009, 09:44 PM
I think he may hurt the Lakers more if he continues to play like he did against Utah, than just take a break and rest until he fully heals... I can't see that happening though.

ko8e24
12-14-2009, 09:45 PM
since when has an injury stopped Kobe? Didn't he play with a torn ligament for like a year in his left hand? That seemed to really slow him down. The dude has the pain tolerance of a woman giving birth

the torn ligament before was on the knuckle area, this injury is more on the tip of the index finger, where he releases the ball. So it's a lot more discomforting and a lot tougher to accurately shoot the ball.

Gators123
12-14-2009, 09:49 PM
He should sit, but he probably wont

BTW did PSD go down for a couple hours for everybody?

Hawkeye15
12-14-2009, 09:51 PM
the torn ligament before was on the knuckle area, this injury is more on the tip of the index finger, where he releases the ball. So it's a lot more discomforting and a lot tougher to accurately shoot the ball.

so, now he will only give them 20/6 over the next 3 weeks. The dude is tough, plain and simple. Its by far the biggest thing I admire about Kobe

JasonJohnHorn
12-14-2009, 09:52 PM
A broken finger can limit you BIG TIME!! Especially if its on your shooting hand and lead dribbling hand. You have to have a splint on and it wouldn't let the ball roll off the hand properly.

If he's on the court and its his shooting hand, I can actually see the Lakers playing worse with him on the court. This Lakers squad is a great team and they have the players they need to contend even without Kobe. Having Kobe out a few weeks would give these guys some time to work their own game and make them stronger for the playoffs. The Rockets have played well in the past without McGrady, without Yao and without both, and the Lakers are a much deeper and more talented team (no offence to Rockets fans, their non-star players are playing great right now). With Gasol, Odom, Bynum and Artest on the floor, a vet point guard like Fischer and guys like Shannon Brown coached by a great like Jackson, they can go a few weeks in the regular season and keep up their high level play without Kobe for sure. Other teams may close the gap, but I expect they'd still be within a game of first place if not on top of the heap when Kobe returns from the figner injury.

Hawkeye15
12-14-2009, 09:54 PM
watch, Kobe will now pull a Bird, and develop a left hand in the next week, and kill everyone that way hahahaha

Shady66
12-14-2009, 10:05 PM
He should and probably will play through it. Lakers and him should be fine, as long as he doesnt force his shots.

iggypop123
12-14-2009, 10:06 PM
he will be fine. the only reason the lakers lost to utah was he was sick. he didnt even guard that scrub and he got 20 points. he started out hot meaning his shot is fine, but he ran out of energey fast

J4KOP99
12-14-2009, 10:08 PM
He should sit out for a few weeks and let it heal.

Trust your team Kob

still1ballin
12-14-2009, 10:31 PM
He won't sit

ko8e24
12-14-2009, 11:14 PM
I don't know if many of you remember this, I'm sure Lakers fans remember this. I believe it was the beginning of the 1999-2000 season, Phil's 1st yr as coach. I think Kobe missed the first 17 games of the season (Lakers went 13-4 w/o him cuz they had Shaq), and he missed those games cuz he broke his hand during training camp. And I don't think it was fully healed when he came back, and he wore a heavy heavy bandaid around that right hand and played most of that season with the not fully healed broken right hand. (Remember when he had that great facial dunk on Duncan and Robinson with the right hand on Christmas 1999 against the Spurs? that was amazing!)

So now thinking about it, maybe it might not hinder his play at all

stawka
12-15-2009, 01:59 AM
This kinda reminds me of back in the day, I heard a story... I don't remember much, just the main part where they say "The sky is falling"... Yeah THAT THING!

Even if Kobe were to take the next 6 weeks off, the Lakers would still beat every team in the West in a 7 game series except for Denver. Kobe can come out and score 6 points a game, but his presence on the court will win games for the Lakers. Just relax, the Lakers will still be #1 after all this **** is over, and if not, they will be trailing Denver which they can catch anyway

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-15-2009, 05:21 AM
watch, Kobe will now pull a Bird, and develop a left hand in the next week, and kill everyone that way hahahaha

But he has already developed a great lefty hand shot!

Tom81
12-15-2009, 05:24 AM
is he going to play

THE MTL
12-15-2009, 05:26 AM
Didnt he play through an injury like this last year.

thedfactor
12-15-2009, 05:31 AM
Most players I believe would sit, but Kobe lives and breathes basketball. He'll do whatever he can do for his team in a positive way on the court despite the injury.

Trouble87
12-15-2009, 05:31 AM
looks like Pau will get more touches now

J4KOP99
12-15-2009, 08:30 AM
I don't know if many of you remember this, I'm sure Lakers fans remember this. I believe it was the beginning of the 1999-2000 season, Phil's 1st yr as coach. I think Kobe missed the first 17 games of the season (Lakers went 13-4 w/o him cuz they had Shaq), and he missed those games cuz he broke his hand during training camp. And I don't think it was fully healed when he came back, and he wore a heavy heavy bandaid around that right hand and played most of that season with the not fully healed broken right hand. (Remember when he had that great facial dunk on Duncan and Robinson with the right hand on Christmas 1999 against the Spurs? that was amazing!)

So now thinking about it, maybe it might not hinder his play at all

I always thought it was the following year but either way...

This is all I have been thinking about as soon as I heard kobe had a somewhat-serious injury.

If he sits out, it shows his team he trusts them and also teaches them to win on their own. I think this would do wonders for team chemistry and give some guys a chance to really play well.

DitchDat
12-15-2009, 09:21 AM
is he out or will he play through it?

_Supreme_
12-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Maybe it will have to be amputated?

TheWatcher34
12-15-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm sure Kobe will stay play through it, but do you think he might be hurting the Lakers on both ends of the floor? And if he sits out, how will that affect the Lakers in the standings, and will other West teams be able to surpass the Laker's current regular season record?

see it that way: in case he sits out we will witness a laker team that will have to prove that it doesnt need to rely on the one-man-show-Kobe-the-superstar-scores-all the points for us...but instead a true team effort will be crucial to get a W. and we will witness what the lakers are really capable of.
this sould be interesting.....

J4KOP99
12-15-2009, 09:59 AM
is he out or will he play through it?

He played against the Jazz(horribly, mind you) so we'll see what he does tonight against Chicago.

king4day
12-15-2009, 11:06 AM
If he needs 4-6 weeks to heal it, I don't see why he's playing and risking further damage that could keep him out longer. It's one thing if it's not on his shooting hand, but it is. He's human like the rest of is.

king4day
12-15-2009, 11:08 AM
see it that way: in case he sits out we will witness a laker team that will have to prove that it doesnt need to rely on the one-man-show-Kobe-the-superstar-scores-all the points for us...but instead a true team effort will be crucial to get a W. and we will witness what the lakers are really capable of.

LA will turn into a postup/jump shooting team if he is out. He's their biggest slashing threat. Artest has moves too but no one on that team can replace what Kobe gives them.

JPHX
12-15-2009, 12:06 PM
He should sit out or at least limit his playing time. If anything drastic would happen to Kobe, Stern will kill himself.

Hawkeye15
12-15-2009, 12:42 PM
But he has already developed a great lefty hand shot!

it was a joke, and Bird had a great left hand shot from 15' and in, Kobe doesn't. What I was joking is, Kobe will probably now get one

J4KOP99
12-15-2009, 02:24 PM

How on earth is a Lakers roster w/o Kobe Bryant witnessing what the Lakers are "really capable of?"

Wouldn't witnessing what they are realling capable of have Kobe in the line-up and everybody else healthy?

Raph12
12-15-2009, 02:40 PM
If Kobe continues to jack up shots then yes, but if he plays within himself (considering the injury), then no.

Big Game Son
12-15-2009, 02:50 PM

They will drop significantly. He's a top player in this league, but they wont drop like u kno down the ranks, but they'll miss their game decider. They might just fall to 2 or 3, due to less defensive potency. Still though u guys r right...they r better than most teams in the west.......just Kobe puts em at the top.

It's a broken finger on his shooting hand....he cant play else by playoffs the things will be deformed. He has to let this heal.

TheWatcher34
12-15-2009, 03:17 PM
How on earth is a Lakers roster w/o Kobe Bryant witnessing what the Lakers are "really capable of?"

Wouldn't witnessing what they are realling capable of have Kobe in the line-up and everybody else healthy?

the lakers are a hell of a ball club and as they rely on Kobe as their "biggest weapon"...i m saying that it's going to be interesting to see [not witness] how the offensive quality of the "rest-lakers" will be... and, of course, i am optimistic that they're going to drop some games and lose the top spot of the WC...no disrespect....it's "the truth"!
:rock:
PP34

Gators123
12-15-2009, 09:31 PM
wow, Kobe already has 20 first quarter points

Lakersfan2483
12-15-2009, 09:59 PM
So much for that injury hurting the team and affecting his play, look at what he's doing in the 1st half against Chicago.

dodie53
12-15-2009, 10:29 PM
if he plays then someone accidentally whacks his finger...
tsk tsk

Toenail Clipper
12-15-2009, 10:33 PM
He's already beasting even with that finger, 25 in the first half!

MnTwins
12-16-2009, 01:15 AM
I broke that same bone on my index finger, it also dislocated on the top joint. I popped it back in, wrapped it in tape and played 50 more hockey games that season. Although we are talking about basketball and the ball needs to roll off his hand, I believe he will be just fine.

Lakers4ItAll
12-16-2009, 01:17 AM
Kobe just dropped 42pts on the Bulls so I think he will be just fine

silvTeg98
12-16-2009, 01:18 AM
Kobe just dropped 42pts on the Bulls so I think he will be just fine

:nod:

iggypop123
12-16-2009, 01:29 AM
i told you guys the only reason they lost cause he was sick

kblo247
12-16-2009, 01:36 AM
This pretty much sums it up for the finger

Ron Artest

"If i ask him [kobe] how his finger is doing he is going to strangle me," artest said. "he is. When he is hurt you are not allowed to ask him how he is doing or you're not allowed to ask are you ok. He gets very mad. Really. You think he is playing, but he is really serious. If something happens to him injury wise there is no sense to ask him. He's a soldier."

As for the Jazz performance the bubble guts hindered him more than the finger

Zefflin
12-16-2009, 02:54 AM
^^ Awesome.

Raph12
12-16-2009, 03:13 AM
Looked fine tonight, we will see if it seems to bother him over the next few weeks.

kblo247
12-16-2009, 03:35 AM
Looked fine tonight, we will see if it seems to bother him over the next few weeks.

He wore no splint as well, just a new tape job like what Vitti did with his pinkie

RaiderLakersA's
12-16-2009, 03:38 AM
42 points but 8 turnovers.

ko8e24
12-16-2009, 03:43 AM

Ya, Phil said that he's still having trouble with passing and dribbling. So if that's the case, let Fisher and Artest take care of the ball-handling duties in the starting lineup, and have Farmar, Brown and Odom do the facilitiating when they come off the bench. And Luke will be back on the bench in a few wks, so if Kobe is still having trouble with the ball-handling and passing aspects, then Luke will be there as well. So Kobe should basically help in "moving the ball around" as best he can, and just get into scoring positions and be effective that way until he's ready to take some more of those ball-handling responsiblities.

kblo247
12-16-2009, 03:48 AM

2 were fast balls that Pau and Odom let slip through their hands
2 more were him being fed in the post and trying to hold it with the right and Hinrich knocking it loose.
4 were just him trying to do cross overs with that hand so he can adjust to that.

The last 4 I think were the only alarming ones and that he will figure it out as he handle problems when he first has Vitti tape up the pinkie but corrected it by dribbling more with the left.

JayW_1023
12-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Kobe played with an injured finger last postseason. It's nothing new for him.

ko8e24
12-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Kobe played with an injured finger last postseason. It's nothing new for him.

it's not the same injury as last yr or two yrs ago. It's on his index finger, at the tip of it. The other ones were at his pinky and the knuckle of his ring finger. If you've ever shot a basketball, the ball rolls off the index finger, which is why this injury is the one that will affect him the most. He's adjusting to shooting, but is having trouble making nice crisp passes and dribbling the ball with the f'ed up index finger

MJ-BULLS
12-16-2009, 04:19 PM
kobe can play threw injuries and has shown in the past he can play threw them, so i say they will be the same

Tony_Starks
12-16-2009, 07:20 PM
No other teams wont move up. Kobe will keep playing and Lakers will keep winning.