PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Love Potential Rebounding leader?

ImNotBiased
12-14-2009, 01:59 AM
Do you think Love will ever be rebounding leader in the NBA? Last season he averaged 9 reb/game in 25 minutes, this year he's averaging 29 minutes and 11 reb/game... what is a realistic reb/game if his minutes are increased to 36 per game?

RaptorizedKevin
12-14-2009, 02:14 AM
13. hes a walking double double

29$JerZ
12-14-2009, 02:15 AM
If Minny never adds another rebounding man I could see him easily getting 13.

kEviN21
12-14-2009, 02:32 AM
Big Al isn't the best rebounder so Love can easily get 13, 14 but he just needs to be more efficient.

GoatMilk
12-14-2009, 02:37 AM
i'm lovin Love

he's shooting 3's now this season too

eso
12-14-2009, 04:00 AM
he will average 13 by the end of the season.. it was a great trade for minny.....

bigsams50
12-14-2009, 04:06 AM
I dont see why not

NBAfan4life
12-14-2009, 12:20 PM
I think we need a scorer so i dont know if I like the trade. He is a progressing though and most likely mayo would not of stayed so who knows how I will feel about the trade down the line

ManRam
12-14-2009, 12:36 PM
I could see him leading the league in both offensive rebounds and total rebounds eventually.

Rapthug
12-14-2009, 12:58 PM
I love his game. My only worry with him is his health. I'm a Raps fan and I'd love to pair him with Bosh.

If healthy, he could easily lead the lead in rebounds. Double double machine is right.

emnherre
12-14-2009, 01:04 PM
idk but its only 6 games... need a much bigger sample of games... also understand he is going against players that have played 20 plus games... so he also has fresher legs than the guys he playing against. but I do think he will avergage around 10-11 rebounds a game... reminds me a lil of David Lee of the knicks.

ManRam
12-14-2009, 01:10 PM
idk but its only 6 games... need a much bigger sample of games... also understand he is going against players that have played 20 plus games... so he also has fresher legs than the guys he playing against. but I do think he will avergage around 10-11 rebounds a game... reminds me a lil of David Lee of the knicks.

I think he proved himself last year. Finishing 9th in the league in rebounding, playing about 10 minutes less than pretty much everyone ahead of him. He finished second in offensive rebounding last year, again, getting annihilated in minutes.

Last year provides the sample size you want. He's legit. A top 5 rebounder for sure.

Tom81
12-14-2009, 01:15 PM

$ NyC $
12-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Glad some1 brought him up. He's been a beast on the boards and is even hitting three's at a high percentage. He's already getting 11/12 and isn't getting over 30 mpg. From what i hear though he gets tired so maybe if he works on that and starts getting a good 36 mpg i don't see why he can't grab 14 rpg. Gonna be a great player now Minny just needs a scoring wing.

Hawkeye15
12-14-2009, 01:31 PM
last year, he was 4th in HISTORY in rebound rate for a rookie, and trailed only Dwight and Pryzbilla. This year, he trails only Dejuan Blair. Its safe to assume, Love will challenge for the rebounding title for many years. He is a safe bet for 65 double doubles a year and around 12 rpg at least once he gets back in playing shape and gets 36 mpg.
I could easily see a 17/12 player, with the best outlet pass in basketball.

Hawkeye15
12-14-2009, 01:33 PM
I love his game. My only worry with him is his health. I'm a Raps fan and I'd love to pair him with Bosh.

If healthy, he could easily lead the lead in rebounds. Double double machine is right.

he returned from a broken hand in 6 weeks, and didn't miss a game last year. What health concerns?

Chronz
12-14-2009, 02:25 PM
I thought he did last year, oh wait your talking about rebounding average... meh who cares

Hawkeye15
12-14-2009, 09:39 PM
I thought he did last year, oh wait your talking about rebounding average... meh who cares

unfortunately, mainstream media and most fans judge on per game stats, without taking into account any factors at all. He is arguably the best rebounder in the NBA along with Dwight Howard. Kevin Love will absolutely challenge for a few rebounding crowns.

heathonater
12-14-2009, 09:49 PM
I hope he does cuz i have him on my fantasy basketball team.

Kakaroach
12-15-2009, 12:03 AM
He's a fantastic rebounder mostly cuz of his hustle, tearing up the Jazz as we speak. :mad:

MJ-BULLS
12-15-2009, 12:13 AM
he will be a very solid rebounder and a double double player, probably will avg. 11 RPG wi

ko8e24
12-15-2009, 12:49 AM
there are guys in this league who get rebounds, and then, there are REBOUNDERS!

Kevin Love fits under the latter

ko8e24
12-15-2009, 12:51 AM
He's a fantastic rebounder mostly cuz of his hustle, tearing up the Jazz as we speak. :mad:

and the jazz lose to the t'wolves for the 2nd time in the Jazz's last 4 games.

I think they lost at Minny, then won home games against the Magic and Lakers, and then lost at home to Minny

Chronz
12-15-2009, 02:52 AM
unfortunately, mainstream media and most fans judge on per game stats, without taking into account any factors at all. He is arguably the best rebounder in the NBA along with Dwight Howard. Kevin Love will absolutely challenge for a few rebounding crowns.
I did see a +/- reference in a Dallas game about Q Ross early in the year so its not all bad.

juggla53
12-15-2009, 03:13 AM
barring injury it looks as if kevin love will certinaly be the real deal in the NBA

Philly Hammer
12-15-2009, 04:26 AM
I love his game. My only worry with him is his health. I'm a Raps fan and I'd love to pair him with Bosh. If healthy, he could easily lead the lead in rebounds. Double double machine is right.For what one season.

abe_froman
12-15-2009, 04:53 AM
he will be a very solid rebounder and a double double player, probably will avg. 11 RPG wi

he already has,he averaged that last year and is exceeding it so far this one.

but yes i love k.love.one of my favorite players since he's come into the league

Evolution23
12-15-2009, 05:03 AM
Kevin Love is kind of like David Lee except he can shoo the 3 ball, but Lee has a better feel for the game so far. Def like Love's game though, he can probably get 13 a game

DQL
12-24-2009, 04:43 AM
Dude is averaging 13.2 rebounds in 31.2 min WTF?? And that's even when he's playing next to another great rebounder in Jefferson. I seriously think Love has the potential to be a multiple rebounding champ

oh, to make it more impressive, Dwight Howard is averaging 13.1 rebs in 34.6 min this season

Raph12
12-24-2009, 03:32 PM
As long as Dwight plays with subpar rebounders at the 4, he will lead the league in rebounding.

runforrestrunx9
12-24-2009, 03:48 PM
hes very legit... i thought minny got screwed in that deal wit mayo, but im not guna lie, i mite prefer love over him at this point!

runforrestrunx9
12-24-2009, 03:48 PM
i also think he could get 13 boards a game... he could def be a 16 and 13 player with a good amount of assists and blocks as well.

Hawkeye15
12-24-2009, 07:20 PM
If Love qualified, he would be leading the NBA in rebounding. He leads in rebound rate as well, so its safe to say currently, he is the best rebounder in the NBA

Raph12
12-24-2009, 08:05 PM
If Love qualified, he would be leading the NBA in rebounding. He leads in rebound rate as well, so its safe to say currently, he is the best rebounder in the NBA

Considering Howard started out at 10.5 in his first 10 games or so, and has had a lot of dominating performances on the glass recently to raise his avg to 13.1, I would think that he'd be the best rebouder in the NBA. But with that being said, his frontcourt mate is Rashard Lewis and Ryan Anderson, while Love shares the court with Jefferson, idk....

Hawkeye15
12-24-2009, 08:43 PM
even if you want to use per game stats (which is the wrong way to measure), Love is beating Howard, with less minutes. Love's rebound rate is #1 in the NBA as well, which is the actual way to measure rebounders.
Kevin Love is, at this moment, the best rebounder in the NBA.

Raph12
12-24-2009, 11:54 PM
even if you want to use per game stats (which is the wrong way to measure), Love is beating Howard, with less minutes. Love's rebound rate is #1 in the NBA as well, which is the actual way to measure rebounders.
Kevin Love is, at this moment, the best rebounder in the NBA.

Your looking at Howard's stats for the season, not his stats recently, Dwight Howard is avging 16.9 rebounds in his last 7 games and 15.1 rebounds in his last 15 games.

When it is all said and done, Howard will lead the NBA in rebound rate as well IMO.

WSU Tony
12-25-2009, 01:17 AM
Your looking at Howard's stats for the season, not his stats recently, Dwight Howard is avging 16.9 rebounds in his last 7 games and 15.1 rebounds in his last 15 games.

When it is all said and done, Howard will lead the NBA in rebound rate as well IMO.

So your point is that Howard is hot right now.... that doesn't necessarily mean he's the best for the season....

Raph12
12-25-2009, 10:46 AM
So your point is that Howard is hot right now.... that doesn't necessarily mean he's the best for the season....

My point is that he's starting to pick up his game, he now understands that in order for his team to be successful, he needs to rebound and block shots.

I can find you a direct quote of him saying those exact words if you'd like.

WSU Tony
12-26-2009, 01:31 AM
My point is that he's starting to pick up his game, he now understands that in order for his team to be successful, he needs to rebound and block shots.

I can find you a direct quote of him saying those exact words if you'd like.

He didn't understand that earlier in the season? I bet if he makes every shot while rebounding and blocking shots his team will have an even better shot at winning games. Seriously? He JUST realized he needs to rebound and block shots? That just sounds stupid.

:laugh:

"He now understands that in order for his team to be successful he needs to rebound and block shots" lol.

runforrestrunx9
12-26-2009, 01:43 AM
he didn't understand that earlier in the season? I bet if he makes every shot while rebounding and blocking shots his team will have an even better shot at winning games. Seriously? He just realized he needs to rebound and block shots? That just sounds stupid.

:laugh:

"he now understands that in order for his team to be successful he needs to rebound and block shots" lol.

+1

arkanian215
12-26-2009, 08:43 AM
he's a machine. great combination of size, strength, hands and leaping ability. it also helps that he battles well for the boards.

Foye
12-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Big Al isn't the best rebounder so Love can easily get 13, 14 but he just needs to be more efficient.

Why isn't Al Jefferson a good rebounder? He has averaged 11 rebounds for three straight seasons. Love is the superior rebounder but that does not mean Al is not good as well.

I think he can continue to average 13 in 31 minutes per game. So per 36 it would probably be like 15 :speechless:
Howard will still lead the league after the season but Love will be close 2nd if he does not miss games anymore.

He needs to increase his shot efficiency a bit tough. But I guess it will come by time. I'm glad we traded OJ Mayo away for him. :eyebrow:

Mavrix
12-26-2009, 02:42 PM
He's already averaging 13.2 rpg in 31 mpg so somewhere around 14 or 15 rpg.

Raph12
01-05-2010, 03:06 AM
Hey runforrestrunx9, WSU Tony and Hawkeye15, who's the best rebounder in the league now?

Btw in the Magic-Wolves game, Dwight and Barnes went for 15 and 11, while Love and Jefferson went for 10 and 10. Care to run any of your bs arguements by me now?

ldc62
01-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Hes a good player. I still don't see how Minni is this bad though.... O wait, their GM sucks.

LakersIn5
01-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Hey runforrestrunx9, WSU Tony and Hawkeye15, who's the best rebounder in the league now?

Btw in the Magic-Wolves game, Dwight and Barnes went for 15 and 11, while Love and Jefferson went for 10 and 10. Care to run any of your bs arguements by me now?

a game doesnt determine who is the better rebounder. hawes scored 30 vs. the lakers, does that mean he is a better scorer than pau gasol?

Raph12
01-05-2010, 04:08 PM
a game doesnt determine who is the better rebounder. hawes scored 30 vs. the lakers, does that mean he is a better scorer than pau gasol?

Howard is a better rebounder than any player in the NBA, now let me see you put up any type of arguement claiming otherwise.

RadiantShot
01-05-2010, 04:18 PM
last year, he was 4th in HISTORY in rebound rate for a rookie, and trailed only Dwight and Pryzbilla. This year, he trails only Dejuan Blair. Its safe to assume, Love will challenge for the rebounding title for many years. He is a safe bet for 65 double doubles a year and around 12 rpg at least once he gets back in playing shape and gets 36 mpg.
I could easily see a 17/12 player, with the best outlet pass in basketball.

65 might be a bit much, maybe 50-55, there will be nights he sits more minutes, or fizzles out.

Hawkeye15
01-05-2010, 05:47 PM
65 might be a bit much, maybe 50-55, there will be nights he sits more minutes, or fizzles out.

k. He has 14/17 since his return from a broken hand, in which time they eased him in minute wise. lets say he misses a couple games outright, and plays 35 mpg for the season (all highly likely), that is already on par for 65-68 double doubles.
I would expect him to be a double double machine for the next decade, barring injury. 17-12/13, while challenging Howard for the rebounding crown, and the double double crown every year.

Hawkeye15
01-05-2010, 05:49 PM
KG averaged around 67-69 double doubles a year during his reign as double double king.
While I will admit, 65 is very difficult to reach, Love can possibly do it.

Hawkeye15
01-05-2010, 05:52 PM

today? Howard. Last week, Love. You know, there is an actual possibility, that with 50+ games to go, it may actually change again. Weird.
And one game means what? Nothing.

Hawkeye15
01-05-2010, 05:55 PM
here is another fun fact raph12, Love's rookie season rebound rate was higher than Dwight's. Love's 2nd season, so far, is higher than Dwight's. I would guess in about 3 years, Love will be leading the NBA in rpg (that is an easy stat for the simple ones on PSD to understand), and rebound rate (which is a stat that means something)

Raph12
01-05-2010, 07:31 PM
here is another fun fact raph12, Love's rookie season rebound rate was higher than Dwight's. Love's 2nd season, so far, is higher than Dwight's. I would guess in about 3 years, Love will be leading the NBA in rpg (that is an easy stat for the simple ones on PSD to understand), and rebound rate (which is a stat that means something)

Here's another fun fact, TimmyD's rebound rate has been steady throughout his whole career while Big Ben's has been bouncing around almost each and every season... Point is, you never know how a player will turn out, so basing his future on how he plays early is idiotic.

Btw, Love's game was a lot more refined than Howard's coming into the league, it has no effect on how either will play during their prime.

SteveNash
01-05-2010, 07:49 PM

Love is a much better rebounder than Howard.

Raph12
01-06-2010, 12:32 AM
Love is a much better rebounder than Howard.

Right... does anyone, who is not an idiot, have an idea they'd like to share?

Chronz
01-06-2010, 04:47 AM
Here's another fun fact, TimmyD's rebound rate has been steady throughout his whole career while Big Ben's has been bouncing around almost each and every season... Point is, you never know how a player will turn out, so basing his future on how he plays early is idiotic.

Btw, Love's game was a lot more refined than Howard's coming into the league, it has no effect on how either will play during their prime.
I think you should call and tell these GM's to stop measuring rebound rate of players in college if they dont correlate well with future success. If theres one stat thats pretty consistent its rebounding. Its not idiotic, to think a player whos currently performing to his normal level of rebounding to continue that trend.

Im not seeing the point of your comparison. Duncan has always rebounded well due to his fundamentals and big *** (Like Love), Ben was a great rebounder because of his superb athletic ability and drive and when that diminished so did his rebounding. Doesnt that sound more like Dwight? If anything youve only helped his case.

But as of now who has the better #'s?

DerekRE_3
01-06-2010, 05:02 AM
I think you should call and tell these GM's to stop measuring rebound rate of players in college if they dont correlate well with future success. If theres one stat thats pretty consistent its rebounding. Its not idiotic, to think a player whos currently performing to his normal level of rebounding to continue that trend.

Im not seeing the point of your comparison. Duncan has always rebounded well due to his fundamentals and big *** (Like Love), Ben was a great rebounder because of his superb athletic ability and drive and when that diminished so did his rebounding. Doesnt that sound more like Dwight? If anything youve only helped his case.

Good point. I remember Kings fans being worried that Jon Brockman wouldn't be able to rebound nearly as well as he did in college (lead Pac 10 in rebounding 3 years in a row) once he got into the NBA. He's right behind Kevin Love and Dwight Howard in rebounds per 48 minutes. Not bad for a 6'7 white guy without a long wingspan and limited athleticism.

Raph12
01-06-2010, 01:17 PM

Ben's numbers have bounced up and down and are again at a high level so idk where your getting at with the athleticism thing because Ben's rebounding numbers this season are the 5th best of his career, so that theory doesn't apply to him.

I never said that a player whos currently performing to his normal level of rebounding won't continue that trend, I said it's foolish to presume it will get better and better to the extent he was getting at. Like you said, Love is similar to Duncan with his use of fundamentals, and just like TimmyD, I don't expect Love's numbers to see a big jump, I expect it to be steady throughout his career. From last season to this season, Love's rebounding numbers look identical, and I think that will be the trend throughout his career.

As of now, Dwight's total rebounding rate and defensive rebounding rate are both higher than Love's, while Love's offensive rebounding rate is higher than Dwight's. Dwight's rebounding numbers have been steady for the last three seasons and will be about the same until he sees a significant dropoff in his athletic ability or his teammates start getting more rebounds.

Chronz
01-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Ben's numbers have bounced up and down and are again at a high level so idk where your getting at with the athleticism thing because Ben's rebounding numbers this season are the 5th best of his career, so that theory doesn't apply to him.
Its not a theory bro, its Wallaces own words. He cant jump as high as he used to, so hes not rebounding as easily or as effectively as he used to. That sounds more like Dwight than Love to me. So this idea that over time Dwight will edge out a superior positional rebounder, doesnt really work.

Besides your wrong, they arent bouncing up and down theyve consistently fallen over the past few years, and dramatically from his peak due to the reasons I gave. Hes performing like a mad man now for his age especially on the offensive end where transition strategies play a role(Pistons are 2nd in OffReb). Still never expected this from him, dont know how hes doing it but I do know its not for the reasons he used to have. He used to be a lateral jumper, maybe hes boxing out and positioning himself better I really dont know, I dont follow the Pistons but one things for sure its a FAR cry from his jumpsol days and has taken Ben some time to recover (on a pretty mediocre rebounding team). At one point in Wallaces career he was getting atleast 8 caroms a game defensively and MUCH more when surrounded by lesser rebounders like he is now.

I never said that a player whos currently performing to his normal level of rebounding won't continue that trend, I said it's foolish to presume it will get better and better to the extent he was getting at. Like you said, Love is similar to Duncan with his use of fundamentals, and just like TimmyD, I don't expect Love's numbers to see a big jump, I expect it to be steady throughout his career. From last season to this season, Love's rebounding numbers look identical, and I think that will be the trend throughout his career.
You also said, its idiotic to look at a players past to forecast the future, that was dead wrong. Do players have a rebounding prime? Duncan and Ben did, why not Love? But that applies to Dwight as well, hes going to be athletic for a long time, and his fundamentals will improve so imagine what he could accomplish once he pursues the ball every game.

Can you predict the teammates Love will have around him? Do you know how to adjust for strength of teammates with regards to rebound rate? If so I can understand what your saying, if not, I dont see how you could make that statement. Its possible, but its more likely that he has atleast 1 year where it all comes together. Still lets say your right, that would mean Dwight cant decline at all. So when he loses his jumping ability it better not take him as long as it took Ben to recover cuz Love is going to be rebounding like this for awhile I think.

As of now, Dwight's total rebounding rate and defensive rebounding rate are both higher than Love's, while Love's offensive rebounding rate is higher than Dwight's. Dwight's rebounding numbers have been steady for the last three seasons and will be about the same until he sees a significant dropoff in his athletic ability or his teammates start getting more rebounds.
Well then Love may already be the more valuable rebounder since offensive rebounds are in fact worth more. I say may because I still want to see how his endurance holds up with Dwight Howard type minutes. Hes doing good so far but its early.

SteveNash
01-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Right... does anyone, who is not an idiot, have an idea they'd like to share?

Do you have a stat that measures players grabbing contest and uncontested rebounds?

Stats showing how defensive rebounding is harder than offensive rebounding?

Stats on outlet passes versus just handing the ball off to the nearest guard?

Tony_Starks
01-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Will Love ever lead the league in rebounding? No. I take that back, hell no!

WSU Tony
01-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Howard is a better rebounder than any player in the NBA, now let me see you put up any type of arguement claiming otherwise.

The title was asking whether Love could challenge him in a 1 year period. The better player doesn't ALWAYS perform better over a period of time.

Don't be so short sighted! You seem like a "big market" NBA fan. If you only watch sports center, then yes, Howard is the best rebounder EVERY game.

Raph12
01-07-2010, 02:26 AM
Its not a theory bro, its Wallaces own words. He cant jump as high as he used to, so hes not rebounding as easily or as effectively as he used to. That sounds more like Dwight than Love to me. So this idea that over time Dwight will edge out a superior positional rebounder, doesnt really work.

Besides your wrong, they arent bouncing up and down theyve consistently fallen over the past few years, and dramatically from his peak due to the reasons I gave. Hes performing like a mad man now for his age especially on the offensive end where transition strategies play a role(Pistons are 2nd in OffReb). Still never expected this from him, dont know how hes doing it but I do know its not for the reasons he used to have. He used to be a lateral jumper, maybe hes boxing out and positioning himself better I really dont know, I dont follow the Pistons but one things for sure its a FAR cry from his jumpsol days and has taken Ben some time to recover (on a pretty mediocre rebounding team). At one point in Wallaces career he was getting atleast 8 caroms a game defensively and MUCH more when surrounded by lesser rebounders like he is now.

You also said, its idiotic to look at a players past to forecast the future, that was dead wrong. Do players have a rebounding prime? Duncan and Ben did, why not Love? But that applies to Dwight as well, hes going to be athletic for a long time, and his fundamentals will improve so imagine what he could accomplish once he pursues the ball every game.

Can you predict the teammates Love will have around him? Do you know how to adjust for strength of teammates with regards to rebound rate? If so I can understand what your saying, if not, I dont see how you could make that statement. Its possible, but its more likely that he has atleast 1 year where it all comes together. Still lets say your right, that would mean Dwight cant decline at all. So when he loses his jumping ability it better not take him as long as it took Ben to recover cuz Love is going to be rebounding like this for awhile I think.

Well then Love may already be the more valuable rebounder since offensive rebounds are in fact worth more. I say may because I still want to see how his endurance holds up with Dwight Howard type minutes. Hes doing good so far but its early.

This all sounds dandy, but you make it sound like Love's rebounding fundamentals are something that can't be picked up. Dwight's extremely raw and like you said, "hes going to be athletic for a long time, and his fundamentals will improve so imagine what he could accomplish once he pursues the ball every game."

Love will always be challenging Howard for it, but I'd question Love's stamina and endurance before going out and saying he'll win the rebounding crown.

I still think Dwight will hold onto the title for quite a while, barring injuries of course.

Do you have a stat that measures players grabbing contest and uncontested rebounds?

Stats showing how defensive rebounding is harder than offensive rebounding?

Stats on outlet passes versus just handing the ball off to the nearest guard?

Do you?... yeah I thought so... NEXT!

ryder78c
01-07-2010, 02:47 AM
only place i ever see him goin is portland if portland could pull off a trade for love they would dominate