PDA

View Full Version : Trevor Ariza throws punch at DeMar Derozan

ARMIN12NBA
12-13-2009, 08:17 PM
http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/2009/12/13/RWEB091213ARIZAEJECTION16x9-1151813/index.html

Ariza threw a punch at Derozan and got ejected. Luckily he didn't connect or that could have been bad.

BTW--Love the irony in this though.

Jacob K.
12-13-2009, 08:22 PM
what irony? lol did i miss something?

Raps08-09 Champ
12-13-2009, 08:22 PM
boo

What's the irony BTW?

GoatMilk
12-13-2009, 08:23 PM
DeRozan said "that's still my man"

after the game

GoatMilk
12-13-2009, 08:24 PM
could the irony be UCLA/USC?

oh wait i know the irony.

Ariza is supposed to be a saint and artest a devil
and Artest has been a model citizen in L.A. so far.
i dont think he even has a Tech yet

marvILLous
12-13-2009, 08:24 PM
im guessing the irony is that they got ariza to replace artest lol

NYKnickFanatic
12-13-2009, 08:25 PM
I wish Ariza landed it...just kidding. :)

Or am I?

theuuord
12-13-2009, 08:25 PM
im guessing the irony is that they got ariza to replace artest lol

^^

ko8e24
12-13-2009, 08:29 PM
A former Bruin and a former Trojan goin at it, lol

ARMIN12NBA
12-13-2009, 08:32 PM
The irony is that the Lakers replaced this "violent and volatile player" in Ariza with the "low key" Artest. :p

Kakaroach
A little surprising, didn't really expect that from Ariza who seems like a stand-up guy. Oh well.

fredv
it wasn't a punch actually if you saw the video..

tkshy
12-13-2009, 08:33 PM
The best part (if you are a Raptor fan) is that Jarrett Jack got up in Ariza's face. That is a first a first. Could the Raps be showing some signs of life and toughness??

zambo4president
12-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Derozan's from Compton too, he woulda laid the wood on Ariza.

Silent
I like ariza but he was out of line i like what jack did

Raps08-09 Champ
It was an elbow BTW.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-13-2009, 08:35 PM
On another note, have you guys ever noticed Derozan's face?

I just realized now much acne he has.

ARMIN12NBA
12-13-2009, 08:36 PM
it wasn't a punch actually if you saw the video..

Umm, yes it was. The live action of the play didn't show it well (happened quick), but the replays CLEARLY show that he was swinging at Derozan.

ARMIN12NBA
12-13-2009, 08:37 PM
On another note, have you guys ever noticed Derozan's face?

I just realized now much acne he has.

Well, he's a young guy. Around the age where a lot of people get acne.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Umm, yes it was. The live action of the play didn't show it well (happened quick), but the replays CLEARLY show that he was swinging at Derozan.

He meant it was an elbow and not his fist.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Well, he's a young guy. Around the age where a lot of people get acne.

Seems a lot for a 20 year old though.

ink
12-13-2009, 08:39 PM

It was an elbow. They called it that way during the game and talked about it for about 5 minutes after Ariza was ejected. If he had connected though it would have been deadly. He just missed the back of DeRozan's temple.

FlakeyFool
12-13-2009, 08:41 PM
double post.

FlakeyFool
Way to be a role model ariza

theuuord
It was an elbow. They called it that way during the game and talked about it for about 5 minutes after Ariza was ejected. If he had connected though it would have been deadly. He just missed the back of DeRozan's temple.

yeah it doesn't really matter what it was. it was just pretty serious looking. that just seems like one of those frustration things that someone does without really thinking and would have been far worse than intended.

tr4shb0t
12-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Apparently he didn't finish elbowing lessons from Kobe. That one was way too obvious.

But seriously, I'm kind of surprised at Ariza.

HoopsDrive
12-13-2009, 08:45 PM
He's just releasing his frustrations from getting his shoe thrown by Artest, he'll get over it soon, probably 2-3 more elbow swings and he'll cool down.

MAC10TIZZY
12-13-2009, 08:53 PM
ariza looks miserable in houston

Teeboy1487
12-13-2009, 08:55 PM
This was out of character for Ariza. I would not expect that from him. However, he should have punched Jarret Jack. I never liked him especially when he was a Blazer. Just Kidding.

MickeyMgl
12-13-2009, 08:56 PM
ariza looks miserable in houston

He should fire his agent.

RaptorizedKevin
12-13-2009, 09:02 PM
ariza got owned offensivly he was

0-9 from the field because of derozans d
0-1 from swining an elbow/ fist while derozan was running the break

ariza was so **** today ahahaa.

ARMIN12NBA
12-13-2009, 09:06 PM
He meant it was an elbow and not his fist.

Whether you are using your elbow or fist, it is still a punch IMO. I forgot what the incident was, but something happened a couple years ago when an athlete used an elbow to hit somebody and Mike and Mike had this discussion about whether or not it should be called a punch. Mike (Golic) made the great point that whether it is a fist or an elbow, the intent to hit is still the same and it is simply semantics to argue over whether or not it was a punch.

ARMIN12NBA
12-13-2009, 09:07 PM

I know, but...

Whether you are using your elbow or fist, it is still a punch IMO. I forgot what the incident was, but something happened a couple years ago when an athlete used an elbow to hit somebody and Mike and Mike had this discussion about whether or not it should be called a punch. Mike (Golic) made the great point that whether it is a fist or an elbow, the intent to hit is still the same and it is simply semantics to argue over whether or not it was a punch.

Strumpy
12-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Weren't the coaches clamoring him to be more aggressive? :eyebrow:

Raps08-09 Champ
12-13-2009, 09:19 PM

I'm not disagreeing with you.

I was just saying what the other guy meant by it.

smuffins353
12-13-2009, 09:21 PM
damn trevor is so gangsta
too bad he was missin everything today he wulda made DeHOEzen see starz lol

Hustla23
12-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Wow, that was absolutely uncalled for by Ariza.

He needs to be suspended a good 10 games for taking a dangerous shot like that.

Had that landed, it could have been very serious.

I'm usually a serious Stern basher for making the league too soft, but that was legitimately threatening and out of line.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Wow, that was absolutely uncalled for by Ariza.

He needs to be suspended a good 10 games for taking a dangerous shot like that.

Had that landed, it could have been very serious.

I'm usually a serious Stern basher for making the league too soft, but that was legitimately threatening and out of line.

10 games is probably too much. Considering he missed and there have been more serious offences in the NBA before.

1-2 games is probably fair. Or none if he is lucky.

Shady66
12-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Hell prolly be suspended a few games. Last year when amundson got punched in the face, Randolph only got 1 game i believe.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-13-2009, 09:36 PM
I remember like 3 years ago when Ray Allen and Keyon Dooling was in a full out fist fight.

Allen only got 3 while Dooling got 5 games.

still1ballin
12-13-2009, 09:53 PM
George Willis

Trevor Ariza
12-13-2009, 09:59 PM
I was trying to kill a fly near by. If you watch the video closely, you can see a fly by DeRozan head. I was trying to swat it with my elbow to keep it away from him. DeRozan is my homie.

LMFAO at Jarret Jack acting like he was going to hurt me. I bet money I could beat the **** out of Jarrets eraser head ***. Anyways, I still consider my self as a calm, cool individual.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Haha.

I remember you from before.

I was wondering if you were gonna show up.

deuces
12-13-2009, 10:10 PM
I was trying to kill a fly near by. If you watch the video closely, you can see a fly by DeRozan head. I was trying to swat it with my elbow to keep it away from him. DeRozan is my homie.

LMFAO at Jarret Jack acting like he was going to hurt me. I bet money I could beat the **** out of Jarrets eraser head ***. Anyways, I still consider my self as a calm, cool individual.
ya, you're not trevor aiza, i think he should be suspended like 5 games because its not like there were word flying around and it was an escalating thing, he just tried to knock derozen out,that's a ***** move on ariza

ink
12-13-2009, 10:11 PM
I know, but...

Yeah, there's no doubt he took a swing at DeRozan. The reason I pointed out that it was an elbow was because at the wrong angle an elbow can knock you out cold. Ariza missed him by inches.

I don't think it's really all that bad. I don't think it means Ariza is a dirty player. He just got pissed because DD was pressuring him so much and stripped him of the ball. It's not like he's some headhunter or anything. lol.

ink
12-13-2009, 10:13 PM

Great attempt at an impersonation. :rolleyes: Other than killing flies with your elbows, do you also type with them? :laugh:

theuuord
12-13-2009, 10:14 PM
ya, you're not trevor aiza

nice catch. we were all fooled!

ARMIN12NBA
12-13-2009, 10:28 PM
:laugh2: This post made my day.

Vinny642
12-13-2009, 10:31 PM
:laugh2: This post made my day.

Did you cause him to post that?

ARMIN12NBA
12-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Did you cause him to post that?

:laugh2: Nope, not at all. That's the funny part. Look throughout the thread.

Toenail Clipper
12-13-2009, 10:37 PM

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO!
:worthy::worthy::worthy:
The great Ariza is in the building folks

Vinny642
12-13-2009, 10:39 PM
:laugh2: Nope, not at all. That's the funny part. Look throughout the thread.

:D
Haha that guy went mental crazy on everyone.

Jays Claw
12-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Trevor Ariza was obviously frustrated with the game he was having. He wasn't producing on the offensive side of the ball and was completely clueless on the defensive side. The frustration caused him to swing an elbow. Luckily, no one got hurt. In my opinion, it's time for everyone to drop this discussion.

I hope Trevor Ariza learned a valuable lesson today. :rolleyes:

RaptorizedKevin
12-13-2009, 11:29 PM
shouldnt that guy impersonating the real trevor ariza get banned?

Trevor Ariza
12-13-2009, 11:39 PM

Impersonating?

IRUAM #21
12-13-2009, 11:57 PM

:facepalm:

NYtilIdie
12-14-2009, 12:06 AM
Ariza trying to throw dem bows lol

Hustla23
12-14-2009, 12:10 AM
Trevor Ariza was obviously frustrated with the game he was having. He wasn't producing on the offensive side of the ball and was completely clueless on the defensive side. The frustration caused him to swing an elbow. Luckily, no one got hurt. In my opinion, it's time for everyone to drop this discussion.

I hope Trevor Ariza learned a valuable lesson today. :rolleyes:
If he was successful at doing what he intended to do , no one would be "dropping the discussion"

Just because I try to shoot somebody and miss doesn't mean I don't deserve to get punished.

mjt20mik
12-14-2009, 12:15 AM
He deserves a 2 game suspension with some kind of fine. Stuff like that is just uncalled for.

Iron24th
12-14-2009, 12:36 AM
It was ugly by trevor.

rabueed
12-14-2009, 12:37 AM
I remember a while back when Shaq was on the Lakers that he wanted to punch out a player (I believe it was Brad Miller). Anyways, Miller had his back turned to Shaq and Shaq was winding up waiting for him to turn around. At least Shaq had the decency and common sense to hit Miller straight up.

Anyways, what if Ariza actually did fatally hit him? What would happen to Ariza? You think he would go to jail for murder or unintentional manslaughter?

lol, just thought I would ask.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-14-2009, 12:45 AM
I remember a while back when Shaq was on the Lakers that he wanted to punch out a player (I believe it was Brad Miller). Anyways, Miller had his back turned to Shaq and Shaq was winding up waiting for him to turn around. At least Shaq had the decency and common sense to hit Miller straight up.

Anyways, what if Ariza actually did fatally hit him? What would happen to Ariza? You think he would go to jail for murder or unintentional manslaughter?

lol, just thought I would ask.

If he did kill him, he wouldn't go for unintentional manslaughter seeing as he swung at him on purpose.

But it's best not to think of that stuff.

clutchski
12-14-2009, 12:47 AM
Ariza was obviously just crazy frustrated at that point in the game..then to have a rookie steal the ball from him, he let his emotions get to him and stupidly tried to throw an elbow.

boms-4
12-14-2009, 12:55 AM

:laugh:

elizur
12-14-2009, 01:13 AM
I know, but...

You just posted the same jibberish twice. Who is mike Golic, apparently he is a fighting expert. Well it was an elbow, not a punch.

wileyisTOFU
12-14-2009, 01:29 AM
that's the kinda intensity i like to see!
We can all agree its not as bad as what rapher alston did to eddie house's sweatband

DCLAFAN
12-14-2009, 01:29 AM
Thats weak man, Ariza doesnt seem like the sucker punch kind of guy but guess so.

Sadds The Gr8
12-14-2009, 01:38 AM
woah wtf? never saw this cuz i was too caught up in football today but that pissed me off...derozan didnt even do anything....i used to h8 ariza on LA, but i gained respect for him this season seeing as he's startin to flourish but i lost my new gained respect for him....that douche can go to hell...

GO RAPS

Ray_R
12-14-2009, 01:49 AM
i kinda wished he atleast grazed him. We havent seen a good basketball brawl in awhile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qD9edGvksw :sigh:

mjt20mik
12-14-2009, 02:14 AM
i kinda wished he atleast grazed him. We havent seen a good basketball brawl in awhile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qD9edGvksw :sigh:

You don't understand, if that hits him he's cold. It's pathetic that you watch the NBA for amusement in the case of a 19 year old kid getting knocked out. Pathetic. If you want to watch people fight, I think you should take up watching MMA.

ElMarroAfamado
12-14-2009, 02:44 AM
i like the raptors n that derozan guy
it seemed trevor got frustrated and tried to shove derozans arm out the way and it made it seem like he threw something?
unless he said he meant to throw a punch then i dont know...

td0tsfinest
12-14-2009, 10:08 AM
a fist is one thing but an elbow to the head.

The UFC has banned certain elbow strikes and that's a fighting sport. Ariza using it in a basketball game is way out of line. I hope this guy gets a hefty suspension.

Double_R
12-14-2009, 11:03 AM
That was a bit@# move, that was a mark *** thing to do

Ray_R
12-14-2009, 11:15 AM
You don't understand, if that hits him he's cold. It's pathetic that you watch the NBA for amusement in the case of a 19 year old kid getting knocked out. Pathetic. If you want to watch people fight, I think you should take up watching MMA.

SO your saying you dont like BasketBrawls

Don P.Belasario
12-14-2009, 11:33 AM
I wish Ariza landed it...just kidding. :)

Or am I?

Dude dont even joke about that ****. Most BS move I have ever seen in basketball and I remember the Anthony Mason era. Are you ******** or do you just really like dirty cheap shots which could potentially ruin a players career?

So much hate but why?

pebloemer
12-14-2009, 11:45 AM

I was going to say with the Raptor's roster a brawl may become a massacre in Toronto, but its not like Houston is the second coming of the old Pacers, or Pistons or anything. But no, a brawl would be bad news for both teams involved. Raptor's need to focus on their game a bit more and get some wins, not complicate things.

Statik1
12-14-2009, 11:56 AM
I was going to say with the Raptor's roster a brawl may become a massacre in Toronto, but its not like Houston is the second coming of the old Pacers, or Pistons or anything. But no, a brawl would be bad news for both teams involved. Raptor's need to focus on their game a bit more and get some wins, not complicate things.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=122 your forum is here :D

NBA doesn't need any more fighting.

#1Mavericksfan
12-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Ariza

1 Point

hahahahahahahahahahahah

Benjamanic
12-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Blazer fan here: I recall Ariza whacking Rudy Fernandez across the back of his head on a clear fast break; Rudy landed on his back. It was the 4th quarter and the Blazers were up by about 30. They took Rudy off on a stretcher. A foul like that can end someone's career. I hope he gets suspended and the league cuts a serious chunk out of his paycheck.

Too bad Jarrett Jack didn't knock his sorry @$$ out.

mjt20mik
12-14-2009, 02:05 PM
SO your saying you dont like BasketBrawls

I'm saying I don't like fans who like cheap shots. If you want to brawl then go face to face, don't elbow someone from the back. That's just pathetic.

TheWatcher34
12-14-2009, 02:12 PM
DeRozan said "that's still my man"

after the game

just because he's a rookie in this league doesnt mean he has to kiss ******* :speechless:

magichatnumber9
12-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Ariza's judgment slipped for a brief second and then at the last second he pulled himself together. You could tell he pulled the punch towards his body so he wouldn't hit the other guy. He deserved the Jack *** chewing and the ejection.

MickeyMgl
12-14-2009, 03:27 PM

I don't think anybody is arguing that it's not punishable. It's simply not a punch. It is an elbow. That's all I've read people say. I think you're reading more into people's correction than was intended.

MickeyMgl
12-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Blazer fan here: I recall Ariza whacking Rudy Fernandez across the back of his head on a clear fast break; Rudy landed on his back. It was the 4th quarter and the Blazers were up by about 30. They took Rudy off on a stretcher. A foul like that can end someone's career.

Ariza's a good guy, and your example illustrates that, since there was nothing dirty about that play on Fernandez. It's called basketball. You go for a block and end up hitting a guy on the head, so it's a foul. That the guy loses his balance and lands hard is circumstantial.

Prior to this one on Derozan, that was the closest thing to a dirty play by Ariza, and it wasn't even dirty.

ink
12-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Ariza's a good guy, and your example illustrates that, since there was nothing dirty about that play on Fernandez. It's called basketball. You go for a block and end up hitting a guy on the head, so it's a foul. That the guy loses his balance and lands hard is circumstantial.

Prior to this one on Derozan, that was the closest thing to a dirty play by Ariza, and it wasn't even dirty.

I don't even think the attempted elbow to DeRozan was dirty. He was just caught up in the moment. Really not a big deal, but he'll get a couple of games for it.

brandt
12-14-2009, 03:53 PM

Artest was supposed to be a Devil in Houston too, but he behaved pretty well. Who said Ariza was supposed to be a Saint?

brandt
12-14-2009, 04:04 PM
He should fire his agent.

Why? Becasue he "look's" miserable in Houston? That's his fault for signing then. Nobody else would have given him the deal that Houston gave him, and it's better then going somewhere like Okalhoma City where there's sooooooooo much more to do. lol. No offense to OK City residents.

rabueed
12-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Why? Becasue he "look's" miserable in Houston? That's his fault for signing then. Nobody else would have given him the deal that Houston gave him, and it's better then going somewhere like Okalhoma City where there's sooooooooo much more to do. lol. No offense to OK City residents.

the Lakers offered him practically the same contract. And considering the marketing behind the Lakers merchandise, I guarantee you his incentives in LA would be better than in Houston.

brandt
12-14-2009, 06:33 PM
the Lakers offered him practically the same contract. And considering the marketing behind the Lakers merchandise, I guarantee you his incentives in LA would be better than in Houston.

I was replying to someone who said he should fire his agent because he "looks" miserable in Houston. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If he WAS offered the same contract plus incentives from the Lakers, why didn't he sign with them then? Even if he WAS garanteed a starting position in Houston and not L.A., that's Ariza's fault if he's miserable if anyone's, not his agent's. Especially if he turned down a contract that would offer him just as much coming off the bench in a place like L.A. It would appear that he was more miserable in Los Angeles if that's the case. Texas also has no state income tax, so that will garantee to save him money, where as incentives won't.

BoltLakerPadre
12-14-2009, 07:49 PM

Ding ding ding. Irony found.

brandt
12-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Ding ding ding. Irony found.

Really? Why should anyone expect ANY N.B.A. player after only one year, to be a Saint? And Artest wasn't the "Devil" in Houston, so what's the irony in that?

arkanian215
12-14-2009, 08:30 PM
it aint a punch unless you use a fist:confused:

ARMIN12NBA
12-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Really? Why should anyone expect ANY N.B.A. player after only one year, to be a Saint? And Artest wasn't the "Devil" in Houston, so what's the irony in that?

It's the fact that the ONLY argument used against the Lakers signing Artest instead of Ariza (used by ESPN analysts, radio hosts, fans, etc.) is that Artest was a supposed violent and volatile player while Ariza was more low-key.

The fact that Artest hasn't done anything like this on the court while Ariza has done something extremely dangerous is ironic.

Ray_R
12-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Dude dont even joke about that ****. Most BS move I have ever seen in basketball and I remember the Anthony Mason era. Are you ******** or do you just really like dirty cheap shots which could potentially ruin a players career?

So much hate but why?

i dont think it would of ruined his career. Most likely a concusion if it would of just grazed his head.

Ray_R
12-14-2009, 09:21 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=122 your forum is here :D

NBA doesn't need any more fighting.

you got the wrong one.;) http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123

thedfactor
12-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Who cares, both teams blow lol

Raps08-09 Champ
12-14-2009, 09:43 PM
He got suspended 1 game.

Seems fair.

Anything more than 3 is probably too much seeing as he missed.

brandt
12-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Who cares, both teams blow lol

lol. literally?

brandt
12-14-2009, 10:15 PM
It's the fact that the ONLY argument used against the Lakers signing Artest instead of Ariza (used by ESPN analysts, radio hosts, fans, etc.) is that Artest was a supposed violent and volatile player while Ariza was more low-key.

The fact that Artest hasn't done anything like this on the court while Ariza has done something extremely dangerous is ironic.

Gotcha.

prodigy
12-14-2009, 10:17 PM
DeMar already has a track record of being a punk. But that stuff should not happen, Ariza should be suspended.

BTW- The irony is that Ariza is playing alot better then artest? lol.

Bruno
12-14-2009, 10:31 PM
...right.

RapToronto95
12-14-2009, 11:46 PM
DeMar already has a track record of being a punk. But that stuff should not happen, Ariza should be suspended.

BTW- The irony is that Ariza is playing alot better then artest? lol.

Really? :confused:

ARMIN12NBA
12-15-2009, 12:01 AM
Ariza is playing alot better then artest

How so? He is extremely inefficient at 38% shooting from the field. Ariza has become a chucker.

Meanwhile, Artest is having a fine shooting season (from both inside and three point land) along with being the DPOY thus far in the young season.

cmellofan15
12-15-2009, 12:37 AM
How so? He is extremely inefficient at 38% shooting from the field. Ariza has become a chucker.

Meanwhile, Artest is having a fine shooting season (from both inside and three point land) along with being the DPOY thus far in the young season.

I haven't seen that stat until now, and somehow I'm not amazed.

Don P.Belasario
12-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Ron Artest > Trevor Ariza

Best defender in the league and he isn't even a dirty player.

Who remebers when Pat Rilley called Ariza dillusional? I think that he is bang on... especially after talking all that **** about Jarret Jack. Jack is a pit bull, Ariza is a punk ***** that talked **** about Jack when he was on the plane outta Toronto. PUNK *****

Benjamanic
12-15-2009, 02:07 PM

When a team is up by almost 30 points half way through the 4th, you don't commit fouls like that. If it's a 5 point game, that foul is regrettable but I'd understand. What a team should do in that situation is treat it like a practice for the next game and try to execute rather than take stupid and potentially dangerous gambles. That was a dirty play given the context and it was committed out of spite.

Verbal Christ
12-15-2009, 06:27 PM
frustrated, bad play, but realized it mid swing and pulled up .. doing his time, and the ariza haters (lakers) need to worry about their own resident psycho, its only a matter of time ... tick ... tick ... BOOM.

koreancabbage
12-16-2009, 01:21 AM
Ariza has become a chucker. he averages like 17 shots a game? WTF? you might as well play McGrady to keep the load off Ariza. Ariza is not a go-to guy and Houston as of right now, is a regular season type of team but when playoffs come, you're going to need that star to free up Ariza.

MickeyMgl
12-16-2009, 02:11 AM

The Laker offer was actually slightly better, as I recall. It sure wasn't any worse. That's why he should fire his agent.

MickeyMgl
12-16-2009, 02:15 AM
I was replying to someone who said he should fire his agent because he "looks" miserable in Houston. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If he WAS offered the same contract plus incentives from the Lakers, why didn't he sign with them then?

OK, so it appears that you weren't really following the negotiations at the time. He didn't sign with them because - after his agent attempted to play hardball by going public and threatening that Ariza would be willing to take less elsewhere if the Lakers didn't improve their offer - the Lakers called his bluff and pulled their offer altogether.

MickeyMgl
12-16-2009, 02:24 AM
When a team is up by almost 30 points half way through the 4th, you don't commit fouls like that.

Bullshart. The foul was committed in the 3rd quarter, with the Blazers up by 28. When is the proper time to quit, in your opinion? When you're out on the court, you play hard. If you think you have a chance at the block, you go for the block.

If it's a 5 point game, that foul is regrettable but I'd understand. What a team should do in that situation is treat it like a practice for the next game and try to execute rather than take stupid and potentially dangerous gambles. That was a dirty play given the context and it was committed out of spite.

I really don't throw this word around loosely, but that's a homer opinion. "My team has a lead, and my player fell hard, so the opposing team should just roll over and quit. Don't take any chances, don't go for any blocks."

If it was the Blazers down big in the 3d quarter, you wouldn't be arguing that they should pack it in. It's still a game. Or... How about, when your team is up 28, your players pull the ball out and work the clock? Does that make any less sense? No, it doesn't. Fernandez goes for the dunk. Ariza goes for the block. Everybody accepts the consequences.

wileyisTOFU
12-16-2009, 02:25 AM
Mle motherfu kers

Jamiecballer
12-16-2009, 01:31 PM
OK, so it appears that you weren't really following the negotiations at the time. He didn't sign with them because - after his agent attempted to play hardball by going public and threatening that Ariza would be willing to take less elsewhere if the Lakers didn't improve their offer - the Lakers called his bluff and pulled their offer altogether.

and Ariza actually turned down 6 million more from the Raptors. and the rest is history. ugh.

Nighthawk
12-16-2009, 01:34 PM
wasnt no punch...that was ike a weak ******** corny *** elbow. Ariza is a punk. He can straight up ball and is a good young talent. But hes a punk