PDA

View Full Version : 5 Players That Might Be Traded

Kakaroach
12-12-2009, 01:18 PM
1. Andre Miller, Portland Trail Blazers

Miller would have occupied the No. 1 slot here even if the Blazers weren't in the market for a competent big man and/or wing player after losing Nicolas Batum (shoulder), Travis Outlaw (foot) and now Greg Oden to the second season-ending knee injury of his young career.

Reason being: Most of general manager Kevin Pritchard's peers around the league have believed for months that Pritchard only signed Miller -- after failed free-agent runs at Hedo Turkoglu and Paul Millsap -- to ensure that Portland at least came away with a tradable asset last summer … which is projected to be the last summer for a while that Portland has salary-cap space.

And for all the ongoing skepticism about how the ball-dominating Miller fits as a backcourt partner with Brandon Roy, there's no doubt that the 33-year-old is movable in the first year of a three-year, $21 million deal that is guaranteed for only the first two years. Quite movable.

As covered in this cyberspace last week when we surveyed advance scouts about the opening quarter of the season and again by Professor Hollinger in this post-injury analysis of the Oden-less Blazers, Miller might actually find it easier to operate in Portland's offense with Oden off the floor and less of an emphasis on throwing the ball inside. Harsh as that sounds, given Oden's unquestioned likability and hideous luck, Miller and Roy appeared to be the main sufferers from the lack of offensive flow that has plagued Portland this season as Oden's role expanded. If the Blazers open things up a bit more with Oden sidelined, as Roy envisions, that could really help Miller.

Yet the reality remains that Miller and Roy are an iffy tag team because both need to see so much of the ball to be effective, which explains why Miller has started only nine games. There's this, too: While NBA front-office sources say there is considerable outside interest in young (and mostly forgotten) Portland guard Jerryd Bayless, Miller's more substantial salary -- $6.7 million to Bayless' $2.1 million -- would probably bring a bigger talent payoff in a trade.

"They need a Mo Williams-type to play with Brandon Roy," said one rival team executive in the West. "They need a shooter to play off him."

2. Nate Robinson, New York Knicks

The Knicks are 4-1 in December and enter Friday's visit to New Orleans on a three-game win streak that has featured precisely zero minutes for li'l Nate.

So you can safely conclude that, yes, Robinson will soon be eminently available to interested trade parties … which is why we have him so high despite the fact that his eligible-to-be-traded date is actually one week later (Dec. 22) than the rest because he signed later this offseason.

Just don't forget two more important disclaimers.

A. New York will take back only expiring contracts for Robinson, who could squeeze only a one-year deal worth $4 million out of the Knicks last summer in spite of his unrivaled popularity at Madison Square Garden. The Knicks' understandable determination to preserve every ounce of their projected summer of 2010 cap space cuts down severely on potential trade options.

B. Robinson cannot be traded without his consent as a player on a one-year deal who will possess full Larry Bird rights with his current team at season's end. And I'm reliably told that Nate won't waive his veto power to go just anywhere, even if it means more minutes and shots.

As one Western Conference exec suggested, New York is bound to try to package Robinson with Eddy Curry or Jared Jeffries -- players whom the Knicks are truly eager to move -- as opposed to just shopping Robinson on his own.

The safest conclusion, though, is that dealing Robinson is not as easy as it would seem, even if you're prepared to assume that the Knicks' recent mini-revival without Robinson is going to continue and that they're fine with trading him independently of what happens with Curry or Jeffries.

3. Marcin Gortat, Orlando Magic

Gortat is listed here because he so badly wants to be on this list. It's common knowledge leaguewide that the 7-footer was deeply disappointed when Orlando matched the Dallas Mavericks' five-year, $34 million offer sheet in the summer, leaving Gortat to hope that the passing of Dec. 15 will trigger serious trade discussions that will land him somewhere he'll get to play regularly.

The problem? Magic general manager Otis Smith is adamant that he won't move Gortat. At least not in the short term.

It was widely assumed in July when Orlando retained Gortat from Poland amid a flurry of pricey offseason maneuverings that Smith had a deal in place to dispatch him after Dec. 15. You don't hear that theory anymore.

Even though Gortat is averaging a measly 6.8 minutes per game in December playing behind Dwight Howard, Smith regards him as indispensable Howard insurance. The updated assumption in GM circles, then, is that Gortat won't be made available in trades until the summer, after the Magic see how far this high-dollar, all-in approach takes them.

Gortat, meanwhile, regards himself as "kind of like a ticking time bomb." That was his description when we chatted in the visitors' locker room in Dallas in early October, which teasingly put him in the building he thought would be his new home court for Orlando's exhibition opener.

"It's weird now, because I was always dreaming about signing this contract and [having] this mental release that I'm going to be on the [same] team for five years," Gortat said that night. "Now I've just got to wait and see what's going to happen.

"I don't think I'm going to go in and ask [management] what they're [planning for] me. I believe that, if I'm going to go somewhere else, I'm going to go to a team where I'm going to play. I don't think I'm just going to be traded to sit on the bench.

4. Brandon Bass, Orlando Magic

Smith insisted earlier this week when asked by the Orlando Sentinel about Gortat and Bass that he has no plans to trade either one.

But Bass is finding it increasingly harder than Gortat to score regular playing time and is bound to attract suitors no matter what Smith says publicly. The clear vibe in circulation is that Bass, who landed a four-year deal worth $16 million from the Magic, is the more gettable of the two … especially since Gortat has the right to veto any trade through July 13, 2010, because he was a restricted free agent last July when he signed an offer sheet with Dallas that the Magic matched.

Rival teams say it's not Orlando's style anyway to initiate a lot of trade chatter. The Magic apparently often prefer, as one personnel man put it, to "entertain what other people propose." So give this one time to develop.

5. Ramon Sessions, Minnesota Timberwolves

New Wolves personnel boss David Kahn doesn't give many hints to nosy scribes, especially considering he's a former sportswriter, but more than one team we've consulted continues to believe that Sessions -- if you allow us to employ the proper GM-speak -- was signed by Minnesota with the intent to "flip" him.

I do wonder if it's too soon for such flipping, since Minnesota can't even try to convince Ricky Rubio to come to the States before the 2011-12 season because of Rubio's new contract with perennial Spanish club power Barcelona. It's also unclear what sort of market Sessions could generate after a slow start with the Wolves and when he's just one season into a four-year, $16.4 million deal.

Yet I've also heard a couple of GMs say they do expect Sessions to be made available and that his contract is not so prohibitive. We'll see.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-091112-13/weekend-dime-players-soon-trade-eligible

Kakaroach
12-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Pretty good read, it described the players that were signed this off-season that will most likely move. They all have long contracts though aside from Nate Robinson, so we'll see if any teams make a move for these guys.

runforrestrunx9
12-12-2009, 01:26 PM
sixers will take gortat!!!

Raph12
12-12-2009, 01:38 PM
sixers will take gortat!!!

Gortat for Elton Brand? hmmm... maybe 2 years ago.

*Superman*
12-12-2009, 01:39 PM
I rather trade Gortat then Bass. Gortat is a scrub.

What is Dalmerbart's contract like?

Cash
12-12-2009, 01:50 PM
I rather trade Gortat then Bass. Gortat is a scrub.

What is Dalmerbart's contract like?

His contract isn't as bad as his talent, and his contract is horrible.

JordansBulls
12-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Pretty much a bunch of role players.

Hellcrooner
12-12-2009, 01:56 PM
expect some expiring to be traded too like bosh or rudy gay

Storch
12-12-2009, 02:04 PM
I'd like to see a big trade happen in the mid-season ... Those are exciting.

Kakaroach
12-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Pretty much a bunch of role players. Thats what I thought at first too. But then again, role players can help teams that want to be title contenders.

Chronz
12-12-2009, 02:54 PM
The Cavs NEED a guy like Bass in the worst way, thats it right there. Thats all they need.

cmellofan15
12-12-2009, 03:03 PM
The Cavs NEED a guy like Bass in the worst way, thats it right there. Thats all they need.

Exactly what I was thinking.

LosLakersss
12-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Monta Ellis or Stephon Curry primed to be trade bait. Warriors cannot win with that small line up.

Raph12
12-12-2009, 04:51 PM

Yeah but what do you think the chances are that Orlando trades him to Cleveland lol...

Pauleboman
12-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Yeah but what do you think the chances are that Orlando trades him to Cleveland lol...

:)
Talk with the Bulls they have good players too trade.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Moon for Bass.

Chronz
12-12-2009, 05:28 PM
I thought that way about Scola to the Rockets once.

goldenstater
12-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Monta Ellis or Stephon Curry primed to be trade bait. Warriors cannot win with that small line up.

someone would have to give up a lot to monta esp. the way he is playing right now. i dont know that any contending teams would be willing to do that but i could be very wrong. maybe for a bosh or something( with other parts included of course) but i dont think bosh would want to sign long term with us the way our front office is right now.

Raph12
12-12-2009, 07:14 PM
I thought that way about Scola to the Rockets once.

Orlando and Cleveland are sworn rivals after last season, plus what could the Cavs offer Orlando in return?

shep33
12-12-2009, 07:26 PM
You know what trades should happen...

Bosh- he's not gonna resign, and Toronto already sucks
Boozer- he's already mentioned that he wants to be a free-agent, and I don't get why he's still on the Jazz.

I never understood why teams wanna keep these guys when they're gonna get nothing back for them after this season. Might as well try something. Bosh and Boozer are playin for contracts next year for other team right now. Its amazing how Bosh puts on 15lbs of muscle in his contract year, but decided not to do it in the past. Get picks for these guys heck who cares.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Orlando and Cleveland are sworn rivals after last season, plus what could the Cavs offer Orlando in return?

Daniel Gibson.

He would light it up with Howard in the middle.

Tony_Starks
12-12-2009, 08:01 PM
If the Knicks were smart they'd ship Nate to Phoenix for Barbosa straight up. Knicks get another shooter and Nate goes somewhere where he'll be 6 man of the year.

BlondeBomber41
12-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Daniel Gibson.

Yeah, thats what Orlando needs, another three point jacker who does nothing else. Thats practically what every player is on their team but Bass and Gortat, and ironically those are the players that are mentioned in trade talk here.

Kakaroach
12-13-2009, 12:49 PM
I could not see Robinson, Gortat, or Miller being traded to be honest. Bass or Sessions are prolly the most likely to move. New York wants to package Nate with Curry or Jeffries. A team would rather just wait until this off-season to sign him.

Hawkeye15
12-13-2009, 12:50 PM

I would think about giving up Blount (expiring), Brewer, and Sessions for Ellis

mjt20mik
12-13-2009, 12:59 PM
I doubt Bosh will get traded. I hope we can unload Bargnani or Jose to a team, and get a solid role player or something.

Stunner
12-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Sessions for Robinson trade anyone?

Kincks

Sessions
Hughes
Chandler
Harrington
Lee

T-Wolves

Flynn
Robinson
Brewer
Love
Jefferson

I think its a good trade.

HouRealCoach
12-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Flynn and Robinson in a backcourt would be WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too small

HouRealCoach
12-13-2009, 01:41 PM
I would think about giving up Blount (expiring), Brewer, and Sessions for Ellis

That would be a great trade for both sides

iHop
12-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Gay or K martin might get traded too

Chronz
12-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Delonte West

rapjuicer06
12-13-2009, 03:47 PM
if bass or gortat is traded it will be to a west team for sure

VCaintdead17
12-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Brandon Bass and Marcin Gortat for Solomen Jones and Troy Murphy.

I'd be down as a Pacer fan.

sunnydayin'zona
12-13-2009, 04:12 PM

shaq;)

Raph12
12-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Delonte West

They don't need Delonte, they already got player exactly like that.

Daniel Gibson.

Compared to some current Magic players, Boobie Gibson couldn't light up a gas station with a flamethrower.

shaq;)

Yeah, they could take him just so they could dominate Cleveland down-low again lol.

Brandon Bass and Marcin Gortat for Solomen Jones and Troy Murphy.

I'd be down as a Pacer fan.

Troy Murphy would be a "hand in glove" fit for the Magic, but if they give Gortat away, they'd need a backup center.

Bass and Redick/Barnes for Murphy would be great for the Magic, but does that help the Pacers?... sorry don't follow them much.

C_Mund
12-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Jose Calderon for Andre Miller

Kakaroach
12-13-2009, 08:26 PM
if bass or gortat is traded it will be to a west team for sure Yeah thats what I figured too. Same with Andre Miller.

Chronz
12-14-2009, 02:45 AM
They don't need Delonte, they already got player exactly like that.

Im pretty sure they dont have a combo guard who can defend and shoot the way Delonte can.

Chronz
12-14-2009, 03:23 AM
Jose Calderon for Andre Miller

Thats a PERFECT trade aint it?