PDA

View Full Version : TNT's All-decade: Playoff defense

JordansBulls
12-10-2009, 08:38 PM
http://www.nba.com/alldecade/vote4/

1. Kobe blocks Sabonis to save Game 3 of West Finals, 2000.
2. Kevin Garnett's steal and block in Game 7 of conf. semi's 2004.
3. Amare's block on Duncan in 2005 West Finals.
4. Tayshaun blocks Reggie(everybody knows that).
5. Big Ben's block on Shaq in '06 East Finals, game 5.
6. 2009 Bulls vs Celtics, Noah the steal and then Rose's block on Rondo.

ko8e24
12-10-2009, 08:46 PM
The first one, and not trying to be a homer, but the Blazers stole homecourt away from the Lakers by winning Game 2 in LA, so the Lakers had to take back homecourt by winning in Portland, which they did.

ManRam
12-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Why oh why didn't Reggie dunk it?

I voted Noah's and Rose's. Ben's block was nasty though. Knocking Shaq down?!?

ko8e24
12-10-2009, 08:47 PM
But the prince block on miller was sick, I didn't see that option before, so i actually may have to go with that one.

ManRam
12-10-2009, 08:48 PM
The first one, and not trying to be a homer, but the Blazers stole homecourt away from the Lakers by winning Game 2 in Portland, so the Lakers had to take back homecourt by winning in Portland, which they did.

The significance was amazing...but the block was average. It wasn't nearly as impressive as the others strictly just difficulty-wise. And it's not like the others were in insignificant situations in insignificant games. I'd argue KG's was more important. It was a game 7.

TheKing23
12-10-2009, 08:48 PM
A toss up between Prince's block and Big Ben just owning Shaq.

ChiSox219
12-10-2009, 08:50 PM
I have no idea how Rose still had the legs to make that block in triple OT

sp1derm00
12-10-2009, 09:05 PM
I have no idea how Rose still had the legs to make that block in triple OT

haha, cuz Rondo didn't have the legs to get more lift in his jumpshot.

Raph12
12-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Tayshaun on Reggie was sweet, nasty and downright wrong.

kblo247
12-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Tay on Reggie is the better black; Kobe's was more important but not better like the Kobe/Shaq oop was more important but not better than T-Mac's dunk.

HoopsDrive
12-10-2009, 09:42 PM
The first one, and not trying to be a homer, but the Blazers stole homecourt away from the Lakers by winning Game 2 in Portland, so the Lakers had to take back homecourt by winning in Portland, which they did.

:laugh:

kblo247
12-10-2009, 09:48 PM
:laugh:

He worded it wrong as we all know LA had HCA.

HoopsDrive
12-10-2009, 09:54 PM
He worded it wrong as we all know LA had HCA.

Well, obviously.

_KB24_
12-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Prince on Reggie and it's not even close. I went from JUMPING UP AND DOWN, to "WTF!???????ARE YOU ******* KIDDING ME!???????? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

ItsTheLastAce
12-10-2009, 10:13 PM
prince on reggie for me, all great moments but really that was an amazing hustle play by prince

ARMIN12NBA
12-10-2009, 10:54 PM
The first one, and not trying to be a homer, but the Blazers stole homecourt away from the Lakers by winning Game 2 in LA, so the Lakers had to take back homecourt by winning in Portland, which they did.

This. The significance and overall importance of Kobe's block is astounding and should definitely make this the winner. We are talking about Conference Finals here.

HammerHead1
12-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Prinnnnce!

ManRam
12-10-2009, 11:11 PM
This. The significance and overall importance of Kobe's block is astounding and should definitely make this the winner. We are talking about Conference Finals here.

We're also talking about an average block. All the other blocks were significant too. Some in game 7s, some in triple overtimes, all in the playoffs...and all had higher levels of difficulty.

dikimbemutumbo
12-10-2009, 11:13 PM
I voted for Wallace, as much as I wanted to vote Rose/Noah. You just never see Shaq, not even now, get dominated like that. Never

ARMIN12NBA
12-10-2009, 11:21 PM
We're also talking about an average block. All the other blocks were significant too. Some in game 7s, some in triple overtimes, all in the playoffs...and all had higher levels of difficulty.

I don't think it was an average block consider the height of the two players and the angle Kobe had going at the block.

Sure, they were all in the playoffs, but none with that significance. One one other defensive play was by a player in the Conference Finals who ended up winning a championship (Tay Prince).

ManRam
12-10-2009, 11:28 PM
I don't think it was an average block consider the height of the two players and the angle Kobe had going at the block.

Sure, they were all in the playoffs, but none with that significance. One one other defensive play was by a player in the Conference Finals who ended up winning a championship (Tay Prince).

Sabonis was basically standing flat-footed, on his way down, not up, and moving sideways, away from the basket. Kobe was basically in front of him. At least Wallace and Prince blocked guys going up and towards the hoop, and got them from behind. To each their own. But if that was in any other game, it wouldn't even make Sportscenter.

ARMIN12NBA
12-10-2009, 11:35 PM
Sabonis was basically standing flat-footed, on his way down, not up, and moving sideways, away from the basket. Kobe was basically in front of him. At least Wallace and Prince blocked guys going up and towards the hoop, and got them from behind. To each their own. But if that was in any other game, it wouldn't even make Sportscenter.

It would make Sportscenter because it was a last second play, but it would not be legendary if it weren't for that fact that it was extremely significant. And that is the point.

Same stance I have with the Kobe-Shaq alley-oop. Way too significant to not vote for.

MTar786
12-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Prince on reggie. IF reggie got that it would have been lakers and pacers in the finals and the lakers would have probably won which would have given us another championship.. Stupid tayshaun!

ManRam
12-11-2009, 12:20 AM
It would make Sportscenter because it was a last second play, but it would not be legendary if it weren't for that fact that it was extremely significant. And that is the point.

Same stance I have with the Kobe-Shaq alley-oop. Way too significant to not vote for.

Ok. True. Do you disagree with this? If all those plays happened in the middle of the first quarter of a game in the middle of November vs. this year's Nets, would Kobe's block not be the least impressive? I think it would. I understand the significance of the game, the time of the game, and what was at stake...I just think that frankly, if he misses that block, it's embarassing. It wasn't a terribly difficult play...not for an absolutely athletic freak like Kobe. I'll put it 3rd, or 4th...but not #1. The others have just as much importance (most of them) and they all have a higher degree of difficulty.

ARMIN12NBA
12-11-2009, 12:54 AM
Ok. True. Do you disagree with this? If all those plays happened in the middle of the first quarter of a game in the middle of November vs. this year's Nets, would Kobe's block not be the least impressive? I think it would. I understand the significance of the game, the time of the game, and what was at stake...I just think that frankly, if he misses that block, it's embarassing. It wasn't a terribly difficult play...not for an absolutely athletic freak like Kobe. I'll put it 3rd, or 4th...but not #1. The others have just as much importance (most of them) and they all have a higher degree of difficulty.

I watched them all again. Amare goes #1 in terms of difficulty and amazingness. Ben Wallace at #2 for pure defensive play as well. Then Kobe at #3.

Now, the only reservation about giving Amare or Big Ben the official nod here is that their team lost the series! This is the playoffs and it is hard to vote for them when the significance of the playoff moment is kind of low on the scale.

Like I said, the thing that keeps the Kobe play alive is the significance that not only does it lead to a championship, but a three-peat.

JordansBulls
12-11-2009, 01:07 AM
I have to say the Prince block. If he doesn't make that play they go down 0-2 and probably never win the title.

JordansBulls
12-11-2009, 01:08 AM

Prince's block was in the conference finals as well and they were down in the series at the time.

SteveNash
12-11-2009, 01:18 AM
Tay on Reggie is the better black; Kobe's was more important but not better like the Kobe/Shaq oop was more important but not better than T-Mac's dunk.

Sabonis threw up such a weak shot that I doubt he makes it even if Kobe didn't block it.

I terms of great defense, I'd rank it:
Tayshaun
Ben
Amare
Kobe

ARMIN12NBA
12-11-2009, 01:24 AM
Prince's block was in the conference finals as well and they were down in the series at the time.

The fact that Reggie Miller practically slowed down to a halt and that it was probably a goaltend lessens the play for me.

Joshtd1
12-11-2009, 01:25 AM
To me thats Prince on Reggie.

Noah stealing it and beating Pierce down the court comes in 2nd.

Gators123
12-11-2009, 08:51 AM
Prince Block on Reggie, Who knows what the outcome would have been if Reggie made that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1ob8mNDcNk

mikantsass
12-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Tayshaun hands down. "You gotta dunk that **** Reggie!!!"

JordansBulls
12-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Tayshaun hands down. "You gotta dunk that **** Reggie!!!"

Wasn't it like his last year?

Toenail Clipper
12-11-2009, 10:49 PM
Tayshaun, but fans will vote for something else. Like how they voted for LeBron as the best playoff performances when there is Duncan and Shaq who almost had quadruple doubles.

Celts437
12-11-2009, 11:15 PM
My vote is hands down for wallace stuffing shaq, WOW that was impressive

kvrnm
12-12-2009, 01:54 AM
i voted big ben just cause he swatted the absolute **** out of shaq haha

NJBASEBALL22
12-12-2009, 07:59 AM
Anyone got a link to the Ben Block?