PDA

View Full Version : NBA expanding presence in India

asandhu23
12-10-2009, 02:59 PM
http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/dawn-content-library/dawn/news/sport/07-nba-expanding-presence-in-india-ha-08

NEW YORK: The NBA is taking another step in its plans to expand its presence in India, sending Dikembe Mutombo to take part in a pair of events this week.

The former All-Star centre, recently hired as the league’s global ambassador, was in Mumbai on Wednesday to unveil two refurbished courts, along with a learning centre, which the league said will benefit more than 1,500 children.

He will take part in a groundbreaking ceremony for another new court on Friday in Chennai, then remain there to run a coaching clinic over the weekend.

Much as it previously did with China, the NBA has tried to capitalize on its popularity in India. The league has held a number of events there the last two years, including a Basketball without Borders camp last summer..

My comments: Good! I doubt NBA will get an Indian Yao Ming but there could be some good guards. I really hope this works out. We have to demolish cricket's hold first.

clutchski
12-10-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm happy for Mutombo, he makes a good ambassador for the sport.

asandhu23
12-10-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm happy for Mutombo, he makes a good ambassador for the sport.

i agree. What do you think about NBA's expansion into India? Its an untapped source of talent.

clutchski
12-10-2009, 03:13 PM
i agree. What do you think about NBA's expansion into India? Its an untapped source of talent.

Yeah for sure, I'm sure a lot of places are..but I can see India specifically due to the high population there. Like a considerably less population size of a country such as Australia has developed some solid talent, India could very well be the same. As you said, it's untapped, so it's a good move by the NBA.

king9er
12-10-2009, 03:20 PM
living in india for 5 years I can tell there are a lot of idle people there and having something to "time pass" (actual phrase in india) would be received well

Ragun
12-10-2009, 03:25 PM

from indian movies ive seen, the players seem to suck. the guys shoots like girls and they just jump around double dribbling the ball at one spot. lol

but seriously, im sure india has some very athletic people that could possibly play a guard position.

mjt20mik
12-10-2009, 03:27 PM
With 1.3 billion people in India, there definitely has to be some talent there. Smart move by the NBA. Plus a lot of Indian people are very tuned into watching the NBA, so I think it'll be beneficially to both parties.

ChiSox219
12-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Every American business is expanding it's presence in India because it's a great source for cheap labor.

asandhu23
12-10-2009, 03:33 PM
from indian movies ive seen, the players seem to suck. the guys shoots like girls and they just jump around double dribbling the ball at one spot. lol

but seriously, im sure india has some very athletic people that could possibly play a guard position.

oh dude... come on now. indian movies = crap. those actors have never ever played basketball in their lives.

asandhu23
12-10-2009, 03:36 PM
living in india for 5 years I can tell there are a lot of idle people there and having something to "time pass" (actual phrase in india) would be received well

ah. which part of India are you in? In Punjab, where i grew up and lived for 13 years, people are always busy. its an agricultural society so yeah...

GodsSon
12-10-2009, 03:37 PM
everyone knows brown people are more athletic in Guyana and Trinidad LOL

asandhu23
12-10-2009, 03:39 PM
everyone knows brown people are more athletic in guyana and trinidad lol

o.0?

king9er
12-10-2009, 03:41 PM
[QUOTE=asandhu23;11643019]oh dude... come on now. indian movies = crap. those actors have never ever played basketball in their lives.[/QU

bollywood is huge! they make more money then Hollywood hands down and indian films are are recognized worldwide but if you've seen one you've seen them all (indian movies)

mjt20mik
12-10-2009, 03:43 PM
everyone knows brown people are more athletic in Guyana and Trinidad LOL

Fail. Brown people in Trinidad and Guyana are essentially Indians that were moved during the slave trade conducted by the British during the 1700s.

GodsSon
12-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Fail. Brown people in Trinidad and Guyana are essentially Indians that were moved during the slave trade conducted by the British during the 1700s.

i know that...i was attempting to make a joke that clearly people arent getting lol

asandhu23
12-10-2009, 03:55 PM
bollywood is huge! they make more money then Hollywood hands down and indian films are are recognized worldwide but if you've seen one you've seen them all (indian movies)

No doubt. All of the movies have this theme. Guy walks down the street. Sees a Girl. The Girl sees him. Girl's brother or dad doesn't like street creeps. she tries to warn him. brother or dad sends thugs to beat the guy up. he beats them up while saying corny lines. the girl gets turned on... suddenly the sprinklers ( rain ) turn on and they kiss. the dad sees them. he sends thugs to kidnap the girl and then guy has to rescue her. after tons of gravity defying effects, the man wins the trust of the dad and they end up married. SMH

mjt20mik
12-10-2009, 03:59 PM
i know that...i was attempting to make a joke that clearly people arent getting lol

LOL.. I know :D

CityofTreez
12-10-2009, 04:06 PM
This will for sure stall the War on Terror!

GodsSon
12-10-2009, 04:12 PM
^ i dont remember India having anything to do with that in the first place lol

montazingmvp
12-10-2009, 04:35 PM
http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/dawn-content-library/dawn/news/sport/07-nba-expanding-presence-in-india-ha-08

NEW YORK: The NBA is taking another step in its plans to expand its presence in India, sending Dikembe Mutombo to take part in a pair of events this week.

The former All-Star centre, recently hired as the league’s global ambassador, was in Mumbai on Wednesday to unveil two refurbished courts, along with a learning centre, which the league said will benefit more than 1,500 children.

He will take part in a groundbreaking ceremony for another new court on Friday in Chennai, then remain there to run a coaching clinic over the weekend.

Much as it previously did with China, the NBA has tried to capitalize on its popularity in India. The league has held a number of events there the last two years, including a Basketball without Borders camp last summer..

My comments: Good! I doubt NBA will get an Indian Yao Ming but there could be some good guards. I really hope this works out. We have to demolish cricket's hold first.

that will never happen

montazingmvp
12-10-2009, 04:35 PM
what are the most popular sports in india besides cricket anyway...soccer?

roshan3ai
12-10-2009, 04:54 PM
I love it. The NBA could definitely find some serious talent there, especially guards.

mjt20mik
12-10-2009, 06:37 PM
what are the most popular sports in india besides cricket anyway...soccer?

Field hockey, soccer, and badminton.

asandhu23
12-10-2009, 07:26 PM
I love it. The NBA could definitely find some serious talent there, especially guards.

or we could just sign Great Khali ( Dalip Singh Rana ) as a center whose job is to just get the damn rebound. He would scare even Shaq. lol

Ragun
12-10-2009, 07:38 PM
oh dude... come on now. indian movies = crap. those actors have never ever played basketball in their lives.

yeah thats what makes it funnier. tamil and hindi movies. the cameras make them look so good, slow motion, sick beats and ****.

i just :facepalm:

tr4shb0t
12-10-2009, 07:53 PM
sounds like the nba is just using mutombo, but probably a good business move

Ragun
12-10-2009, 07:55 PM
sounds like the nba is just using mutombo, but probably a good business move

its his job lol

RaptorsFanatic
12-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Maybe I should go back to my roots and showcase my talent there. haha...Big up.

Ragun
12-10-2009, 08:06 PM
i guess this is the brown people reunion thread.

_KB24_
12-10-2009, 08:16 PM
No doubt. All of the movies have this theme. Guy walks down the street. Sees a Girl. The Girl sees him. Girl's brother or dad doesn't like street creeps. she tries to warn him. brother or dad sends thugs to beat the guy up. he beats them up while saying corny lines. the girl gets turned on... suddenly the sprinklers ( rain ) turn on and they kiss. the dad sees them. he sends thugs to kidnap the girl and then guy has to rescue her. after tons of gravity defying effects, the man wins the trust of the dad and they end up married. SMH

Pand di, don't mess with BOLLYWOODDD!!!!!!!! :mad:

AHA JK, but I don't think it is a good idea. Yup, I'm Desi but basketball is a "gora" of a sport as it gets. I was really happy to see baseball being brought here as we have some "pand ke lora" who can straight up throw a damn ball. I mean the only court I saw in Delhi ended up being a great location for bhel puri and ghol guppa. I mean your from the pind Sandhu, you should know that ball would never work in our part of the world.

montazingmvp
12-10-2009, 09:06 PM
why doesn't india produce any good soccer players if one of its main sports is soccer. is there no good development systems of something...because its such a huge country if there is interest you'd think they'd produce a few int'l stars...

Hustla23
12-10-2009, 09:42 PM
why doesn't india produce any good soccer players if one of its main sports is soccer. is there no good development systems of something...because its such a huge country if there is interest you'd think they'd produce a few int'l stars...
Because everybody is poor as **** and needs to feed their family instead of joining a soccer team.

But I guess there are some people who are well off that just aren't good enough.

Brown people seem to be physically inferior in terms of size and athleticism.

Most black or white people are 6 feet tall average, whereas people in India are generally like 5'9 ish.

At least what I think, I dunno lol.

I think it's a good business move for the NBA.

They might never get any serious talent, but they could definitely make some money.

_KB24_
12-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Because everybody is poor as **** and needs to feed their family instead of joining a soccer team.

But I guess there are some people who are well off that just aren't good enough.

Most black or white people are 6 feet tall average, whereas people in India are generally like 5'9 ish.

They might never get any serious talent, but they could definitely make some money.

Yup, that is true. If you are over 6'3 and brown, you are worshipped. You guys can have your basketball, or your "buskketaball", but don't even dare to mess with us in cricket and kabbadi! :clap:

asandhu23
12-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Yup, that is true. If you are over 6'3 and brown, you are worshipped. You guys can have your basketball, or your "buskketaball", but don't even dare to mess with us in cricket and kabbadi! :clap:

:nod: we punjabis dominate this sport.

kingkenny01
12-10-2009, 10:18 PM
major league baseball should be the real the one trying this instead of that millon dollar arm get a lot customors
it is a smart move but the nba but it will take years to develop basketball in india

asandhu23
12-10-2009, 10:19 PM

have you seen bend it like beckham? no? see it. that explains why indians don't go into soccer

asandhu23
12-10-2009, 10:38 PM

1. Most people are poor as ****. Others like myself end up in US and are called NRIs in India.

2. Plus on top of that, there is the whole thing about censorship. my sister, she is a pretty damn good of a gymnast. she is on the Indian gymnastics team and is the captain and won 4 gold medals at the last Commonwealth Games. Sadly her talent is being wasted away because her team doesn't qualify for Olympics because of the small size of team because the other indian parents don't want their daughters to "show their legs off like "s***s"".

3. Average height of "brown people" depends on the part of India they come from. We Punjabis have European heritage of somewhere around Germany. Every male in my family is over 6-2 ( I am 6-3 ). etc. I lived in India for 13 years and i have noticed that Punjabis are much taller and athletic than rest of the Indians. Coincidentally we also have tons of famous athletes from Punjab like the Dalip Singh Rana ( Great Khali ), Dara Singh ( another old wrestler ) and Milkha Singh ( Olympics runner in 1960 Olympics )

Talick
12-10-2009, 10:45 PM

delete that and its fixed

_KB24_
12-10-2009, 10:47 PM
1. Most people are poor as ****. Others like myself end up in US and are called NRIs in India.

2. Plus on top of that, there is the whole thing about censorship. my sister, she is a pretty damn good of a gymnast. she is on the Indian gymnastics team and is the captain and won 4 gold medals at the last Commonwealth Games. Sadly her talent is being wasted away because her team doesn't qualify for Olympics because of the small size of team because the other indian parents don't want their daughters to "show their legs off like "s***s"".

3. Average height of "brown people" depends on the part of India they come from. We Punjabis have European heritage of somewhere around Germany. Every male in my family is over 6-2 ( I am 6-3 ). etc. I lived in India for 13 years and i have noticed that Punjabis are much taller and athletic than rest of the Indians. Coincidentally we also have tons of famous athletes from Punjab like the Dalip Singh Rana ( Great Khali ), Dara Singh ( another old wrestler ) and Milkha Singh ( Olympics runner in 1960 Olympics )

Yeah, Punjabis are genreally taller than the rest of us. I am from Utttar Pradesh and no one in my immeidate family is taller than 5 foot 10 (Yup me!).
We just aren't made for basketball.

asandhu23
12-10-2009, 10:47 PM

AHA JK, but I don't think it is a good idea. Yup, I'm Desi but basketball is a "gora" of a sport as it gets. I was really happy to see baseball being brought here as we have some "pand ke lora" who can straight up throw a damn ball. I mean the only court I saw in Delhi ended up being a great location for bhel puri and ghol guppa. I mean your from the pind Sandhu, you should know that ball would never work in our part of the world.

Lol Amritsar is not a pind. Its now a huge city. Basketball is catching in urban areas. Plus i think you mean kaaleyan di sport not goryan di sport. Its going to catch on easily and this movement is going to start in Punjab. we love foreign sports. BTW Indian sport list man. Track and Field is pretty big and tennis ( remember Laender Paes? )

Ragun
12-10-2009, 10:50 PM

haha im tamil. pandi means pig.

asandhu23
12-10-2009, 10:50 PM
delete that and its fixed

Well Indian culture is opening up these days. lol we have finally started to accept the fact that one of us wrote the most useful book of all time " Kamasutra" :D

asandhu23
12-10-2009, 10:51 PM
haha im tamil. pandi means pig.

it says pand not pandi. smh.

Talick
12-10-2009, 10:52 PM
If you guys ever seen brown guys play hockey, you would shut up about "the limitations to brown people's physical abilities". Our parents (not necessarily mine because i'm weird indian...guyanese) are just hung up on stressing the most practical stuff in life like studying math and science.

Ragun
there are lot of talented indian and sri lankan soccer players but the parents wont let them play. they want them to study.

Ragun
it says pand not pandi. smh.

he said pand di...close enough

Talick
12-10-2009, 10:53 PM
well indian culture is opening up these days. Lol we have finally started to accept the fact that one of us wrote the most useful book of all time " kamasutra" :d

lmao

asandhu23
12-10-2009, 10:53 PM
there are lot of talented indian and sri lankan soccer players but the parents wont let them play. they want them to study.

and that... leads to the high suicide rates in India

Talick
12-10-2009, 10:55 PM
and that... leads to the high suicide rates in India

:facepalm:

And thats why I like being guyanese...all we care about is rum and soca.

asandhu23
12-10-2009, 10:56 PM
lmao

Well, its true. This is something i dont understand. How did talking about sex end up a taboo in India? I mean we are the ones who "do it" the most.

asandhu23
12-10-2009, 11:01 PM
:facepalm:

And thats why I like being guyanese...all we care about is rum and soca.

5 main reasons of Indian suicides.

1. Insane academic and professional expectations.
2. The constant nagging of grand mothers who want us to hold on to the family honor
3. Arranged marriages.
4. Social ostracization* of widows, widowers and divorced people
5. Family drama ( just watch indian tv shows to see what i mean )

* spelling?

_KB24_
12-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Wow, I guarantee you this is going to end up being an Indian re-union thread again.

REPRESENTING AGRA ON PSD YOU FUDHUS!!!!!!!

asandhu23
12-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Wow, I guarantee you this is going to end up being an Indian re-union thread again.

Representing the Amritsar-town. BTW non indian people, i recommend this city on your next trip to India.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amritsar its got historical places itself and is couple of hours away from Himalayas =) and you can drive for like 5 hours and go visit Agra and Taj Mahal

Wilson
12-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Cool. Any expansion is good for the league in my opinion, and India is a big place to expand to.

Like some people mentioned Deke is a great ambassador for the game as well...

nyyfan4life
12-11-2009, 01:34 AM
This thread has been definitely high-jacked by South-Asian posters...

MaHaRaJaH
12-11-2009, 01:58 AM

No because the Government is so corrupt, the funding never makes it lol.
Second part also not true.

MaHaRaJaH
12-11-2009, 01:59 AM

I almost thought we were a rare breed here lol.

MaHaRaJaH
12-11-2009, 01:59 AM
This thread has been definitely high-jacked by South-Asian posters...

All 5 of us .

MaHaRaJaH
12-11-2009, 02:01 AM
Well, its true. This is something i dont understand. How did talking about sex end up a taboo in India? I mean we are the ones who "do it" the most.

Because it's something that's "private" to them. Kind of like the Japanese, it's rude to show your smile in public, so you only smile at home- in privacy of your family.

_KB24_
12-11-2009, 02:12 AM
I almost thought we were a rare breed here lol.

:) Desis will end up all over the place on the internet.

BTW, Sick name. I guess I'm not the only "King" on here :cool:

GiantMetKnick
12-11-2009, 02:20 AM
hah.

asandhu I hope you understand the NBA isn't doing this to try to get talented players from India - they're doing it to promote their product to the second largest market in the world.

Anyway, the NBA is a great business model in terms of making your product more global. I think it's safe to say that behind only soccer, basketball is the world's sport.

asandhu23
12-11-2009, 02:22 AM

nope definitely not. :D

MaHaRaJaH
12-11-2009, 02:49 PM
hah.

asandhu I hope you understand the NBA isn't doing this to try to get talented players from India - they're doing it to promote their product to the second largest market in the world.

Anyway, the NBA is a great business model in terms of making your product more global. I think it's safe to say that behind only soccer, basketball is the world's sport.
Of course! Which is the point, hopefully this will inspire the youth-dominant India and hopefully produce an Indian player.

MaHaRaJaH
12-11-2009, 02:53 PM

Thank you. It's actually my Indians-on-net indicator lol. Because it's ALWAYS taken! Still, I thought there wold be so many brown sports nerds...

zambo4president
12-11-2009, 03:45 PM
I bet we see an Indian player in the NBA within the next 5 years now.

HammerHead1
12-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Wait til they find the Gold mine of the Philippine Basketball Association. :)

Honestly, players in the PBA are small, we are generally known as small people and thats pretty much the same with pros over there too.

tatertott2313
12-11-2009, 09:52 PM
asandhu23, props on the heidu klum boob giggle gif. didn't even realize it was her at first

king9er
12-11-2009, 09:57 PM
put up some hoops in Punjab I bet you find a shooter.

king9er
12-11-2009, 10:00 PM
if we start injecting growth hormones in our food I bet we'd have a lot more 7 footers.

asandhu23
12-11-2009, 10:07 PM
put up some hoops in Punjab I bet you find a shooter.

definitely. Punjabis put emphasis on sports. my dad was a state champion wrestler in his young days and my mom was a volleyball player. me and older brother used to play basketball for my school and then one day the state cut sports funds and we were left to only street games. i see a huge market there.

_KB24_
12-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Wow, India actually has a national team.........

http://www.indiabasketball.org/pg/images/8a.jpg

They actually have a decent player, who won the MVP at a Basketball Without Borders event.

asandhu23
12-11-2009, 10:08 PM
if we start injecting growth hormones in our food I bet we'd have a lot more 7 footers.

hey man we have 7 footers. look at great khali. lol 7 feet 3 inches

asandhu23
12-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Wow, India actually has a national team.........

http://www.indiabasketball.org/pg/images/8a.jpg

They actually have a decent player, who won the MVP at a Basketball Without Borders event.

see the Punjabi people in there? lol