PDA

View Full Version : Is John Wall The Next Gilbert Arenas?

Fresno
12-10-2009, 01:30 PM
I dont know how anybody can look at Wall and compare him to D-Wade. But everyone has compared every combo guard coming out of college to D-Wade for the last 5 years basically.

Randy Foye
Brandon Roy
Rodney Stuckey
Derrick Rose
Russell Westbrook
Tyreke Evans

Im so tired of continuing to see every athletic slashing combo guard attempting transition into a PG role being compared to D-Wade.

There is nothing about John Wall that compares to D-Wade other than a Youtube HS mixtape video the entire world has seen. He wants the basketball in his hands at the end of the game win or lose, and wants to win the game.
John Wall unfotunately is a turnover machine, he leads the entire country in turnovers averaging 4.8 per game. You can't cure being a bad passer, cutting down on his turnovers realistically would be 3+ per game and hed still be among the leaders in the NBA.

Im talking about prime Gilbert Arenas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWD5OItkNMQ) in terms of comparison, the guy who could carry a team on his back win or lose and always came up big in the 4th quarter and in matchups against stars.

Gilbert was a turnover machine but he was exciting to watch.

Wall is definetly one of the top 2 players in college basketball, and should be a top 2 pick.

Raoul Duke
12-10-2009, 01:33 PM
If I'm John Wall then I'm hoping I'm not the next Arenas, because that would mean I'm injured for two years straight.

Wait! It also means I'm due to make $120,000,000...

NiTEFuRY
12-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Kid is clearly a stud. A combo guard who can dish. So far at this level he is the man. I hope his game translates, he will be one of the best no. 1 picks in a long while.

Derick713
12-10-2009, 02:20 PM
I dont know how anybody can look at Wall and compare him to D-Wade. But everyone has compared every combo guard coming out of college to D-Wade for the last 5 years basically.

Randy Foye
Brandon Roy
Rodney Stuckey
Derrick Rose
Russell Westbrook
Tyreke Evans

Im so tired of continuing to see every athletic slashing combo guard attempting transition into a PG role being compared to D-Wade.

There is nothing about John Wall that compares to D-Wade other than a Youtube HS mixtape video the entire world has seen. He wants the basketball in his hands at the end of the game win or lose, and wants to win the game.
John Wall unfotunately is a turnover machine, he leads the entire country in turnovers averaging 4.8 per game. You can't cure being a bad passer, cutting down on his turnovers realistically would be 3+ per game and hed still be among the leaders in the NBA.

Im talking about prime Gilbert Arenas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWD5OItkNMQ) in terms of comparison, the guy who could carry a team on his back win or lose and always came up big in the 4th quarter and in matchups against stars.

Wall is definetly one of the top 2 players in college basketball, and should be a top 2 pick.

Wall is the Full-Time PG version of Dwayne Wade. Gilbert Arenas is more of a shooter. He’s playing Point so they can have all their weapons on the floor. Wall’s game and athleticism is so similar to D-Wade’s at the moment. He got the height and athleticism of a Dwayne Wade. He got the knack for turnovers. He's not a great shooter and yet he makes then when it counts. His acrobatics when he drives are very similar to D-Wade’s. He got great defensive ability and can play the passing like a D-Wade

I never believed that Rose, Roy, Foye, Stuckey, and everyone you mentioned with the exception of Tyreke Evan compares to Wade.

Brandon Roy couldn’t have been compared to Wade. He lacked the athleticism and explosiveness that Wade had. Roy was a better shooter. Any comparisons between Wade and Roy where based on their draft positions Stuckey modeled his game after his favorite player Wade. That doesn’t mean he compared to Wade. Foye wasn’t even close.

Even though he is similar to Dwayne Wade John Wall is in a class of his own. He’s got all the talent to be the next John Wall. Tyreke Evans and John Wall are the only players that compare to Wade given their natural gifts. Wall and Evans have the explosiveness, driving and finishing ability, wing-span, and overall game and history that allows the comparisons to be fair.

If you watched the Kentucky vs. Uconn game and saw the second half it was like watching D-Wade in the 4th quarter of an NBA game. His last play to put the Cats up by 3 was Dwayne Wade like. You can’t say that play didn’t remind you of a D-Wade drive and finish. Some of the steals Wall came up with looked D-Wade like.

CityofTreez
12-10-2009, 02:36 PM
After watching last nights UK vs UCONN game. I don't know how you can compare Wall to anyone in the NBA. He might be player we haven't seen thus far.

ATX
12-10-2009, 02:44 PM
I don't know, but that kid will be something special in the NBA. I think he's a better prospect than Derrick Rose was.

ragee
12-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Derrick Rose is not a combo guard... He is a true pg who has the hops like D-Wade...

Bullsfan22
12-10-2009, 03:01 PM
John wall looks like the real deal! we will see how it works out in the nba.

AddiX
12-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Derrick Rose is not a combo guard... He is a true pg who has the hops like D-Wade...

Rose is a true PG?:facepalm:

BkOriginalOne
12-10-2009, 03:06 PM
John Wall is the next John Wall.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-10-2009, 03:07 PM
What about Monta Ellis on steroids :shrug:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-10-2009, 03:08 PM
John Wall is the next John Wall.

But then who's previous John Wall? :shrug:

alexander_37
12-10-2009, 03:18 PM
How can Wall be Arenas, Arenas is known for his jumper while walls is suspect at best?????

Fresno
12-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Have people forgotten that Wall is built lanky, while Wade is the strongest player under 6'10 in the NBA.

Wade is much more than athleticism, when he slashes to the basket hes not going by people, hes going through them and around them in mid-air. Or sometimes he might just go over them.

Wade's only weakness is wear & tear because he has to do so much, if he could defer to others for 3 quarters and then take over in the 4th like Kobe. Wade would be even better IMO.

Fresno
12-10-2009, 03:23 PM
How can Wall be Arenas, Arenas is known for his jumper while walls is suspect at best?????

Wall doesn't have a suspect jumper. That is the one thing that makes him stand out from Rose is Wall's legit scoring ability and range on offense. Arenas isn't really a shooter, he just pulls up for 3 instead of running the offense like an actual PG would.

Can Rose even hit a jumper from 10 feet out?

mjt20mik
12-10-2009, 03:24 PM
His game vs Kentucky was really nice, however, he had quite a bit of turnovers.

ManRam
12-10-2009, 03:25 PM
If I'm John Wall, I'm upset this thread was even created. If I'm the potential #1 overall pick...I do NOT want to end up like Arenas. I would want to actually be a good superstar, not an overrated shot-chucking one, who doesn't know how to win.

king9er
12-10-2009, 03:26 PM
ever seen the movie "the pursuit of happiness" that's Gilbert's story growing up in north Hollywood. I really liked watching gil play but man he is so streaky it pains me sometimes.

TheKing23
12-10-2009, 03:34 PM
The only problem he has so far is his turnovers, and how can you say that's not something you can work on??

His game will translate perfectly to the NBA and with time and the good program at Kentucky his decision making will get better. He's 2nd in assists per game in the entire country with 7 a game, is shooting a ridiculous 56% from the field and is averaging 19 PPG whilst only attempting 11 shots a game and you're comparing him to Gilbert Arenas, a "PG" who has averaged 5 assists per game for his career. He's also averaging 3 steals a game and shown a great eye for the ball, something you can't teach.

I think the Wade comparisons are entirely fair, this guy is special... He's gonna be the best number 1 pick since LeBron.

TheKing23
12-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Have people forgotten that Wall is built lanky, while Wade is the strongest player under 6'10 in the NBA.

Wade is much more than athleticism, when he slashes to the basket hes not going by people, hes going through them and around them in mid-air. Or sometimes he might just go over them.

Wade's only weakness is wear & tear because he has to do so much, if he could defer to others for 3 quarters and then take over in the 4th like Kobe. Wade would be even better IMO.

Strongest player in the league under 6'10?? LeBron is a huge amount stronger than Wade as is Ron Artest and then there's a load of undersized PF's stronger than Wade.

John Wall's speed is absurd and the combination of this and his strength at finishing at the rim was shown last night when he made that and1 layup with 40 seconds left to give Kentucky the win. To be honest, who cares if John Wall goes past people rather than through them? As long as he's getting to the rim (which he can at will) I don't care... I would probably rather he evaded the contact for the same reason you mentioned in your last point, the wear and tear Wade has endured.

ZHawk1123
12-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Wall will be much better than Rose in the league.

Raph12
12-10-2009, 03:49 PM
More like a D-Wade type player.

CityofTreez
12-10-2009, 04:05 PM
I don't know, but that kid will be something special in the NBA. I think he's a better prospect than Derrick Rose was.

not better than Tyreke Evans :D

Eagles4Lyfe
12-10-2009, 04:05 PM
the closest comparison to wade is tyreke the freak evans hes such a monsterrr kings got a steal with him lucky bums..Dont tyreke and wade seem similar they were both drafted 4th in there respective drafts and evans after martins injury has just showed what he can do..But john wall looks good too how does he manage a game, is he a good PG or is he like brandon jennings type??

TheKing23
12-10-2009, 04:12 PM
the closest comparison to wade is tyreke the freak evans hes such a monsterrr kings got a steal with him lucky bums..Dont tyreke and wade seem similar they were both drafted 4th in there respective drafts and evans after martins injury has just showed what he can do..But john wall looks good too how does he manage a game, is he a good PG or is he like brandon jennings type??

Wade was the 5th pick in 2003.

ATX
12-10-2009, 04:25 PM
not better than Tyreke Evans :D

Yes, even better than Tyeke...Not to take anything away from Tyreke, who is a huge success thus far, and my leading candidate for ROY. Thank goodness his awkward fall last night didn't result in injury.

theuuord
12-10-2009, 04:33 PM
If he's as good as advertised, Gilbert Arenas will be kneeling at Wall's feet.

But I agree that the Wade comparison isn't a good one. Impact, maybe, but their body types are totally different. Wade is bigger and Wall is lankier.

Either way, harping on a kid who's basically carried his team to half their victories because of his bad turnover rate early in the season is kind of overkill. If you adjust for pace and playing time, his turnover rate is still bad, but not AS bad. After you do that, consider how much of the time he has the ball in his hands and his explosive style of play and it makes sense that he's got that many turnovers. It's also his only weakness right now. With time that can be fixed, since everyone is gushing about his poise on the court and especially late in games he just enters another zone.

My big question mark for him is how he's going to handle adversity. He's done well in leading his team to victory, but they're bound to lose sometime, and his ability to bounce back from that will speak volumes towards his character.

Derick713
12-10-2009, 04:46 PM

I'm totally with you on that. John Wall has everything you want in a franchise type PG. Derrick Rose was hyped on his athletic ability. John Wall has looked great and will only make greater strides as the year goes.

HuRRiCaNeS324
12-10-2009, 04:49 PM
There were a lot of stupid comparisons to D Wade like Rose, Westbrook, Roy, Foye, and Stuckey. Tyreke Evans isn't a bad comparison because they are pretty similar. But i think out of all of comparisons to D Wade, John Wall is the best. When i see him play, he reminds me a lot of D Wade by the way he drives it in at will and also be able to shoot it. The only thing is that Wall will most likely be more of a PG than D Wade i the NBA

Derick713
12-10-2009, 04:50 PM
You can tell that John Wall has a better feel for the game than Derrick Rose. Wall is a better basketball player than Rose. He may even be a better athlete.

Raph12
12-10-2009, 04:55 PM
You can tell that John Wall has a better feel for the game than Derrick Rose. Wall is a better basketball player than Rose. He may even be a better athlete.

Wall can dunk between his legs and fly to block shots, he seems extremely quick and makes good passes. Looks solid from what I've seen, should be fun to watch him adapt to the NBA game though.

If he's as good as advertised, Gilbert Arenas will be kneeling at Wall's feet.

But I agree that the Wade comparison isn't a good one. Impact, maybe, but their body types are totally different. Wade is bigger and Wall is lankier.

Either way, harping on a kid who's basically carried his team to half their victories because of his bad turnover rate early in the season is kind of overkill. If you adjust for pace and playing time, his turnover rate is still bad, but not AS bad. After you do that, consider how much of the time he has the ball in his hands and his explosive style of play and it makes sense that he's got that many turnovers. It's also his only weakness right now. With time that can be fixed, since everyone is gushing about his poise on the court and especially late in games he just enters another zone.

My big question mark for him is how he's going to handle adversity. He's done well in leading his team to victory, but they're bound to lose sometime, and his ability to bounce back from that will speak volumes towards his character.

I was just being ignorant like the guy who made the thread.

theuuord
12-10-2009, 05:02 PM
I was just being ignorant like the guy who made the thread.

No worries, I wasn't replying to you directly, just airing my thoughts out.

Fresno
12-10-2009, 05:04 PM
9 games into his career, John Wall is now already being proclaimed the best #1 pick since LeBron.:laugh:

Does the bandwagon jumping ever end on PSD? :laugh:

How can anyone argue hes a better passer than Rose while hes averaging 4.8 Turnovers per game. Hes 2nd in assists, but #1 in turnovers. Sorry that kinda offsets each other.

Exactly how am I being ignorant for comparing Wall as a player to Gilbert Arenas?

AI4MVP
12-10-2009, 05:13 PM
people are acting like being compared to arenas is a bad thing. it obvioulsy doesnt mean hes being compared to a guy thats going to get injured and blah blah blah. we mean PRIME gilbert arenas. and if any of u remember prime gilbert a couple years ago, he was a top 5 player in the league

Raph12
12-10-2009, 05:14 PM
9 games into his career, John Wall is now already being proclaimed the best #1 pick since LeBron.:laugh:

How can anyone argue hes a better passer than Rose while hes averaging 4.8 Turnovers per game. Hes 2nd in assists, but #1 in turnovers. Sorry that kinda offsets each other.

Exactly how am I being ignorant for comparing Wall as a player to Gilbert Arenas?

He's not proclaimed anything yet, he just looks like a solid prospect.

No the bandwagon jumping will never end on PSD.

I never said he's a better passer, I said he's a good passer, and a better athlete than Rose.

You're being ignorant by comparing his game to an established NBA player, before he's even played one game in the league.

No worries, I wasn't replying to you directly, just airing my thoughts out.

Cool.

AI4MVP
12-10-2009, 05:16 PM
oh and btw. u guys are underrating derrick rose. hes a much better ball handler then wall. much better passer then wall. prolly more athletic then wall too. do u not remember then moves d rose put on people in college? and i dont want to here "oh that was just college", because thats what john wall is in too

Fresno
12-10-2009, 05:23 PM
oh and btw. u guys are underrating derrick rose. hes a much better ball handler then wall. much better passer then wall. prolly more athletic then wall too. do u not remember then moves d rose put on people in college? and i dont want to here "oh that was just college", because thats what john wall is in too

Derrick Rose is soooooooo last year on PSD. So is OJ Mayo.

People actually saying Wall is a better athlete than Rose, have they started smoking crack?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0BXzb3JVVQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAA8mLz8aJ0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RQljcjRIHk

Absolutely ridiculous.

Derrick Rose is an amazing physical specimen.

ATX
12-10-2009, 05:48 PM

I think that those who are praising John Wall, are simply noticing what is plain to see...That Wall is just on another level.

Actually, I do think that Wall will be the best #1 overall pick since 04' D. Howard. (05' Bogut, 06' Bargnani, 07' Oden, 08' Rose, and 09' Griffin.)

TheKing23
12-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Derrick Rose is soooooooo last year on PSD. So is OJ Mayo.

People actually saying Wall is a better athlete than Rose, have they started smoking crack?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0BXzb3JVVQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAA8mLz8aJ0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RQljcjRIHk

Absolutely ridiculous.

Derrick Rose is an amazing physical specimen.

Did it really have to come to this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw

CityofTreez
12-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Give up!

John wall utilizes the PG position 4x better than Arena did with the Wildcats. Arenas wasn't even the best player on that team. Richard jefferson was.

While wall will get drafted high in the draft (not the 2nd round) he will also be a huge immediate impact, (something Arenas wasn't). he will have been taught by John Callipari to be patient with the ball, (instead of Lute Olson, whose past players seem to like to shoot rather than pass: Bibby, Iguodala, Terry, Arenas).

John Wall is a PG, while some can argue that Arenas is a SG playing the position of a PG. Also, Wall will not be such a douche-bag as Gilbert Arenas has been and proclaim himself "Hibachi" a stupid heating device and bowl of fire

he will also win in the playoffs and get past the 1st round (my assumption)

he will also not be signed to Adidas, he's better than that, prolly Nike

So NO, he won't be the next Gilbert Arenas

theuuord
12-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Derrick Rose averaged 3.6 turnovers per game in his first 11 games as a freshman and wasn't NEARLY the offensive playmaker Wall was in that same time.

I find it funny that you're spending all your time harping on his one weakness - which isn't as big a weakness as you make it out to be - and neglecting to mention that everything else is a strength.

But I'm sure Greg Monroe and him will compete for the honor of being the #1 pick. lmao.

theuuord
12-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Also through those first 11 games, Rose averaged 4.4 assists per game, which actually gives him a worse assist-to-turnover ratio than Wall so far.

Just saying...

Vinny642
12-10-2009, 07:21 PM
I have finally watch him play, he is pretty good and quick, amazingly quick, he did turn it over alot though. But the game clinching play was great. I dont know who he resembles

MTar786
12-10-2009, 07:54 PM

woah.. lebron and artest are stronger.. thats not even debatable.. i like wade more than them... but come on dude. wade is strongest under 6'7 though :)

SteveNash
12-10-2009, 08:10 PM

What?

Wade turns the ball over plenty leading the league in turnovers a game twice and coming second once only because AI is so horrid and managed to turn the ball over 4.6 times a game.

Remember, it's only 8 games and he certainly can bring the turnovers down before the season is done.

barreleffact
12-10-2009, 11:26 PM

Randy Foye
Brandon Roy
Rodney Stuckey
Derrick Rose
Russell Westbrook
Tyreke Evans

what about that doesnt say dwyane wade?

barreleffact
12-10-2009, 11:46 PM

wade was strong but he wasnt nearly as strong until he added muscle after his injury. look up his first 2 years and they are very very similar. that being said, from my observation wall can use his athleticism better than rose but rose is more athletic vertically idk abour speed. wall appears to have a better range of moves and ambidextrous ability. rose's handles have never impressed me. wall will likely always be turnover proned as is wade, so as a PG he wont be as great as a cp3 but wall to me seems to actually put the best of all these players into one. his skillset and body are what people heralded rose's potential to being. rose will never acheive what ppl wanted, and although rose has great potential...the great wall is a potential legend imo. arring injury he will easily reach the levels of lebron cp3 wade etc if not higher...im thinking kobe level if he ever gets a good team

IrespectNumber3
12-11-2009, 06:54 AM
I think John Wall reminds me of Rajon Rondo with a Jump a Shot...Not so much Wade only because Dwyane Wade Attacks and draws fouls with no reguard for human life...At the same time he attacks way more then Gilbert who is much more of a shooter.

The thing that seperates John Wall from everybody else is his speed

theuuord
12-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Actually the Rondo comparison may be the best one yet. Give Rondo a good jump shot and better finishing abilities at the basket, and you've got John Wall. Good call.

(This may also be the fact that it's 7 AM and I haven't slept talking, though. Maybe it's a crap comparison. I'll tell you later when I think more about it.)

Ray_R
12-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Actually the Rondo comparison may be the best one yet. Give Rondo a good jump shot and better finishing abilities at the basket, and you've got John Wall. Good call.

(This may also be the fact that it's 7 AM and I haven't slept talking, though. Maybe it's a crap comparison. I'll tell you later when I think more about it.)

so pretty much John Wall>Rajon Rondo. JP
I think its kinda crazy the comparison hes getting so early. I like john wall, ive seen him play against NC but i just hope he doesnt turn into Foye.

barreleffact
12-11-2009, 12:49 PM
i dont like the rondo comparison. wall is like allen iverson in the ways he can embarrass you. he will have a crossover highlight reel. cant say that about rondo. wall is more athletic although rondo is gifted, but as far as the better passer rondo didnt seem elite until he got this team around him. dont get me wrong, he is good, but how good? cp3 averages more with less. that could be by design idk tho. but rondo isnt as flashy getting to the rim and hasd waaay better lay-ups. wall will just dunk over you.

NJrockPD
12-12-2009, 01:30 AM
So can Wall shoot or not?

TheKing23
12-12-2009, 09:59 AM
So can Wall shoot or not?

He's got a a solid jumpshot but i'm sure it'll improve even more when he gets to the NBA.