PDA

View Full Version : Which Rebuilding Team Has The Brightest Future?

TheKing23
12-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Taking into account current roster, cap room and draft picks, which rebuilding team has the brightest future?

New Jersey

Current roster:
PG: Devin Harris/Rafer Alston/Keyon Dooling
SG: Courtney Lee/Terrence Williams
SF: Chris Douglas-Roberts/Bobby Simmons
PF: Yi Jianlian/Trenton Hassell
C: Brook Lopez/Josh Boone

Projected cap room for 2010: $24.9 million

Projected draft pick for 2010: 1st overall - John Wall: 6'4 PG, Freshman, Kentucky

Minnesota Timberwolves

Current roster:
PG: Johnny Flynn/Ramon Sessions
SG: Corey Brewer/Wayne Ellington/Damien Wilkins
SF: Ryan Gomes/Sasha Pavlovic
PF: Kevin Love/Oleksiy Pecherov
C: Al Jefferson/Ryan Hollins

Projected cap room for 2010: $13.3 million

Projected draft pick for 2010: 2nd overall - Derrick Favors: 6'9 PF/C, Freshman, Georgia Tech

New York Knicks

Current roster:
PG: Chris Duhon/Toney Douglas
SG: Larry Hughes/Nate Robinson
SF: Wilson Chandler/Danilo Gallinari
PF: Al Harrington/Jared Jeffries/Jordan Hill
C: David Lee/Eddy Curry/Darko Millicic

Projected cap room for 2010: $23.32 million

Projected draft pick for 2010: No 1st round pick :facepalm:

LA Clippers

Current roster:
PG: Baron Davis/Sebastien Telfair
SG: Eric Gordon/Rasual Butler/Ricky Davis
SF: Al Thornton/Craig Smith
PF: Blake Griffin/Marcus Camby
C: Chris Kaman/DeAndre Jordan

Projected cap room for 2010: $11.19 million

Projected draft pick for 2010: 14th overall - Stanley Robinson: 6'9 SF/PF, Senior, Uconn

Oklahoma City Thunder

Current roster:
PG: Russell Westbrook/Kevin Ollie
SG: Thabo Sefolosha/James Harden
SF: Kevin Durant/Serge Ibaka
PF: Jeff Green/Nick Collison
C: Nenad Krstic/Etan Thomas

Projected cap room for 2010: $11.56 million

Projected draft pick for 2010: 17th overall - Ekpe Udoh: 6'10 PF/C, Senior, Baylor

Milwaukee Bucks

Current roster:
PG: Brandon Jennings/Luke Ridnour/Jodie Meeks
SG: Michael Redd/Charlie Bell
SF: Luc Mbah a Moute/Carlos Delfino
PF: Hakeem Warrick/Ersan Ilyasova
C: Andrew Bogut/Kurt Thomas

Projected cap room for 2010: None

Projected draft pick for 2010: 19th overall - Xavier Henry: 6'6 SG, Freshman, Kansas

Sacramento Kings

Current roster:
PG: Tyreke Evans/Beno Udrih
SG: Kevin Martin/Donte Greene
SF: Andres Nocioni/Omri Casspi
PF: Jason Thompson/Kenny Thomas
C: Spencer Hawes/Sean May

Projected cap room for 2010: $7.62 million

Projected draft pick for 2010: 15th overall - Jan Vesely: 6'11 PF, KK Partizan Belgrade

Chicago Bulls

Current roster:
PG: Derrick Rose/Jannero Pargo
SG: John Salmons/Kirk Hinrich
SF: Luol Deng/James Johnson
PF: Tyrus Thomas/Taj Gibson
C: Joakim Noah/Brad Miller/Aaron Gray

Projected cap room for 2010: $18.1 million

Projected draft pick for 2010: 11th overall - Devin Ebanks: 6'8 SF/PF, Sophomore, West Virginia

Taking all these factors into account, which of these teams has the brightest future?

(Draft projections are from DraftExpress.com: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2010/)

Verbal Christ
12-09-2009, 06:31 PM
where are the rockets?? the consensus on this board prior to the season was that "the rockets are gonna be the worst team in basketball" "they will suck" YADA YADA YADA ... so without two powerhouse players i feel that they should be included in teams that are "rebuilding" , and if they were on this poll i think it would be a landslide.

TheKing23
12-09-2009, 06:43 PM
where are the rockets?? the consensus on this board prior to the season was that "the rockets are gonna be the worst team in basketball" "they will suck" YADA YADA YADA ... so without two powerhouse players i feel that they should be included in teams that are "rebuilding" , and if they were on this poll i think it would be a landslide.

Yeah, but the Rockets are playing like a good team at the moment... The reason I didn't include them was because they don't have a huge amount of cap room (just over the mid-level exception) and probably won't have a top 15 pick. Their centerpiece and franchise player, Yao Ming, will still be there next season so I wouldn't call them rebuilding... Just enduring a season without their main guy.

Verbal Christ
12-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Yeah, but the Rockets are playing like a good team at the moment... The reason I didn't include them was because they don't have a huge amount of cap room (just over the mid-level exception) and probably won't have a top 15 pick. Their centerpiece and franchise player, Yao Ming, will still be there next season so I wouldn't call them rebuilding... Just enduring a season without their main guy.

i think with tmacs expiring, and some jostling by our GM, we'll have a tad bit more than the MLE to play with, and this team is basically remaking itself on the court, the very definition of rebuilding IMO, and some 'guru's' on this very board question how effective yao is anyways or if he will ever come back. pretty damn good breakdown though.

jimbobjarree
12-09-2009, 06:48 PM
nah rockets wouldnt win rebuilding team, only young players they have of note are Brook and Ariza.

I like the Kings. Theyre pretty set, franchise pg, sg, pf, c all pretty much sewn up, then theres Donte Greene and Omri Casspi with size that can shoot, a handful of cap space and probably another lottery pick. Out of all those teams above, probably bar OKC who have already rebuilt, theyre best set for playoffs next year and beyond.

Fresno
12-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Why would New Jersey draft John Wall? If the Nets get #1 its going to be Greg Monroe to put next to Brook Lopez and build a future great post duo.

The best future obviously is in Minnesota. Having 2 emerging post players and a load of salary cap space to move around with is better than other teams.

bahama0811
12-09-2009, 06:51 PM
I'd say OKC. They're already a solid team and they could be really good once there players mature.

Verbal Christ
12-09-2009, 06:51 PM
nah rockets wouldnt win rebuilding team, only young players they have of note are Brook and Ariza.

I like the Kings. Theyre pretty set, franchise pg, sg, pf, c all pretty much sewn up, then theres Donte Greene and Omri Casspi with size that can shoot, a handful of cap space and probably another lottery pick. Out of all those teams above, probably bar OKC who have already rebuilt, theyre best set for playoffs next year and beyond.

umm really? carl landry will be in talks for 6th man of the year, luis scola while being 'old' in years, is fairly new to the nba, kyle lowry who is a tenacious defender is quite young, but i would OKC, durant will be the premier scorer in this league within 2 years. freaking almost forgot about the rook 'hey bud wanna party?' chase budinger, he's a steal in the 2nd round and will be a solid player for years.

jimbobjarree
12-09-2009, 06:52 PM
nah they take BPA, Nets like playing with 2 guards, and they say wall is more of an offguard anyway, and there are more bigs avail via FA to put next to brook such as Amare and Boozer.

jimbobjarree
12-09-2009, 06:54 PM
umm really? carl landry will be in talks for 6th man of the year, luis scola while being 'old' in years, is fairly new to the nba, kyle lowry who is a tenacious defender is quite young, but i would OKC, durant will be the premier scorer in this league within 2 years.

yeah but I wouldnt build my future team around a possible 6th man of the year in the future and a 30ish year solid pf. OKC, Kings, Nets, Minnesota even the Knicks all have future franchise players you'd build around and count on to start.

Verbal Christ
12-09-2009, 06:56 PM
^ love the 'count on to start' part, really dug deep for that one. agree to disagree. peace.

TheKing23
12-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Why would New Jersey draft John Wall? If the Nets get #1 its going to be Greg Monroe to put next to Brook Lopez and build a future great post duo.

The best future obviously is in Minnesota. Having 2 emerging post players and a load of salary cap space to move around with is better than other teams.

I think John Wall is too good to pass on even when you have Devin Harris at the point. Many analysts have compared his game to Dwyane Wade's, so I could see him making the transition to the 2 guard in the NBA.

A Devin Harris/John Wall backcourt would be one of the best in the league.

Fresno
12-09-2009, 06:57 PM
nah they take BPA, Nets like playing with 2 guards, and they say wall is more of an offguard anyway, and there are more bigs avail via FA to put next to brook such as Amare and Boozer.

That backcourt still wouldn't work. Harris is a 6'3 Combo Guard and Wall is a 6'3 Combo Guard.

You're forgetting they have Lee, Williams & CDR at the 2/3.

They need a young PF.

jimbobjarree
12-09-2009, 07:00 PM
yeah but wall is meant to be far and away the best player in the draft, so they dont pass up on him.

Fresno
12-09-2009, 07:01 PM
I think John Wall is too good to pass on even when you have Devin Harris at the point. Many analysts have compared his game to Dwyane Wade's, so I could see him making the transition to the 2 guard in the NBA.
So you're saying trade Lee, CDR, or Williams?

They need someone big at SG that can provide defense since Harris is primarily an offensive player.

A Devin Harris/John Wall backcourt would be one of the best in the league.

On paper maybe but you're talking about having 2 small Combo Guards in the backcourt. Neither is exceptional at defense either.

JasonJohnHorn
12-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Great question. I gotta go with the Thunder. They got one of the best individual players in Durant, a promising power forward in Green, a solid point guard in Westbrook. They are missing depth and a center, and center can be the hardest position to fill, but if they get a hard-nosed rebounder, defensive-minded center they be dominant team, especially with a little be of depth added from free agency and the draft. But there have been other solid teams with bright futures who saw it all fall away, so its hard to see. The Hornets in the mid 90's had a great front court (Larry Johnson, Alonzo Mourning and J.R. Reid) and solid wing players in Dell Curry and Kendal Gill, but an injury to Johnson, the depature of Reid eventually lead to Mourning's unrest and departure. The Magic too had a great team build fromt he draft: Shaq, Penny, Nick Anderson, Dennis Scott and Horace Grant from free agency with guys like Scott Skiles and Stanely Roberts, but they lost key pieces, and then Shaq, and the rest of the team fell apart.

We'll see how things shape up, that's what so great about the NBA, you never know what's going to happen.

If Memphis had been on the list I would have picked them though, they have some great young players.

javaid64
12-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Id assume any team that gets Lebron(hopefully NY) from the above teams will have the brightest future. But lets assume lebron resigns with cleveland, the team with the brightest future is OKC. That team just scares me if they reach thier potential.

Fresno
12-09-2009, 07:07 PM
yeah but wall is meant to be far and away the best player in the draft, so they dont pass up on him.

Are you under a rock?

Wall & Monroe are neck & neck right now as the best NBA prospects in college basketball.

Wall's a great physical talent but his stock actually IMO has taken a hit since pre-season solely due to how reckless a ballhandler and passer he is. Wall is 2nd in D1 college basketball in turnovers.

Hawkeye15
12-09-2009, 08:56 PM
if you are a team that wins 15-25 games, you take best available, even if you have 12 players at that position.

ManRam
12-09-2009, 09:13 PM
The Thunder. But I think their "rebuilding" status might run out soon.

NJ is the best of the absolutely terrible teams...at least they will be next year.

ChiSox219
12-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Nets or Thunder

Depending on where the Nets land in the lottery and who they spend their cap space on, they could easily be #1

Devin Harris/John Wall
John Wall/CLee
Rudy Gay/CDR
Chris Bosh/Yi
Brook Lopez/Yi

or

Devin Harris/John Wall
John Wall/CLee
Lebron/CDR
Boozer/Yi
Brook Lopez/Yi

mavwar53
12-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Warriors no doubt

jojoe1188
12-09-2009, 09:34 PM
New York Knicks

Current roster:
PG: Chris Duhon/Toney Douglas
SG: Larry Hughes/Nate Robinson
SF: Wilson Chandler/Danilo Gallinari
PF: Al Harrington/Jared Jeffries/Jordan Hill
C: David Lee/Eddy Curry/Darko Millicic

Projected cap room for 2010: $23.32 million

Projected draft pick for 2010: No 1st round pick :facepalm:

LOL eddie curry trade

sofargone
12-09-2009, 09:38 PM
New Jersey, New York is last as they are perpetually rebuilding.

dsickich123
12-09-2009, 10:57 PM
OKC...no doubt in my mind...glad everyone agrees

WSU Tony
12-09-2009, 11:35 PM
How about the fact that the Wolves have 3 first round picks and Rubio waiting over seas.... That's HUGE for a rebuilding team. Add in Kevin Love, Al Jefferson, and Jonny Flynn and I'd say that's a pretty good future. Oh, did I mention we have cap room?

astrosmaniac
12-09-2009, 11:35 PM
yeah but I wouldnt build my future team around a possible 6th man of the year in the future and a 30ish year solid pf. OKC, Kings, Nets, Minnesota even the Knicks all have future franchise players you'd build around and count on to start.

landry would start on a good amount of teams. ill take almost 17 and 8 off the bench. as a talent perspective, hes better than scola IMO, but he is better served for the team coming off the bench ala a manu ginobli or jason terry

astrosmaniac
12-09-2009, 11:37 PM

They need someone big at SG that can provide defense since Harris is primarily an offensive player.

On paper maybe but you're talking about having 2 small Combo Guards in the backcourt. Neither is exceptional at defense either.

then they can draft wall and trade either him or harris for an established big instead of reaching on a big

JordansBulls
12-09-2009, 11:39 PM
Oklahoma, they have the best and most productive player out of the bunch that is only 21.

nipo10847
12-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Yeah, but the Rockets are playing like a good team at the moment... The reason I didn't include them was because they don't have a huge amount of cap room:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: (just over the mid-level exception) and probably won't have a top 15 pick. Their centerpiece and franchise player, Yao Ming, will still be there next season so I wouldn't call them rebuilding... Just enduring a season without their main guy.

And where does miami with the largest cap space go then???? WTF!!

sofargone
12-09-2009, 11:53 PM
I didn't realize Miami was rebuilding.

Gators123
12-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Okc

TheKing23
12-09-2009, 11:56 PM

You've gotta love it when people don't read the thread properly and then post out of anger...

Which Rebuilding Team Has The Brightest Future?

I'll put it in bright red for you as well.

Mauersota
12-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Thunder>Wolves=Nets

nipo10847
12-10-2009, 12:04 AM
I didn't realize Miami was rebuilding.

So, you want to say a team with the largest cap space going into next year's mega free agency is NOT rebuilding?? Being the 5th best team in the east doesn't mean they are not rebuilding. Only 3 years ago Miami Heat was the champions. They are going back to contending next year. Again, heat has the largest cap space, a superstar, a warm miami with south beach, and what?? Yes, Pat Riley.

Ray_R
12-10-2009, 12:06 AM
If thunders can play there cardsright and keep there COre as it is they can be deadly in a couple more season. I would compare them to the Blazers

nipo10847
12-10-2009, 12:06 AM
You've gotta love it when people don't read the thread properly and then post out of anger...

Which Rebuilding Team Has The Brightest Future?

I'll put it in bright red for you as well.

Read my post above. You can count Micahel Beasely, Mario Chamlers, and Cook with that cap space.

Where's KG?
12-10-2009, 12:10 AM
I say the Wolves...One Im a fan, so maybe a bit of homerism. Also, Im looking at this from the perspective of rebuilding. Rebuilding generally takes 3-5 years. As MANY people have noted the Wolves appear to have PG under control. We have a pretty decent frontcourt, and Big Al is still getting healthy. Gomes is solid at the SF spot. I see my team in desperate need of a 2 guard. I think this team could compete if we had a shooter. Also we have a lot of pieces to help with rebuilding. Especially all of the freakin draft picks coming up 2010. Here is a cool article about cap room for 2010, about East and West rebuilders.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-091030-31

mikeman0000
12-10-2009, 12:19 AM
The Sixers will get John Wall. They're horrible

TheKing23
12-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Read my post above. You can count Micahel Beasely, Mario Chamlers, and Cook with that cap space.

Dude, Miami are not rebuilding. If Wade leaves then yes, you can consider them rebuilding, if they were to replace him with Chris Bosh or Amare Stoudemire, but as long as Wade is on the team they are not rebuilding.

Rebuilding can be classified as blowing up the team, trading the franchise guy or losing him to free agency and then using the draft and young players to re-establish the franchise. In the last 5 years or so there has been no evidence of this for the Miami Heat and that is why I didn't include them.

MattColby
12-10-2009, 12:24 AM
Whoever drafts John Wall.

mikeman0000
12-10-2009, 12:27 AM
Anybody watching this Uconn-UK game?

John Wall is amazing, he single handedly took this game over

Where's KG?
12-10-2009, 12:34 AM
Dont anyone sleep on Xavier Henry from Kansas.....Kid is a BEAST!!!!

kozelkid
12-10-2009, 12:34 AM

How the hell does Minn have a bright future? They are redundant in pf and pg. And don't have any franchise players.

Maybe not, but they can always trade Wall for a player, like say Lebron in a S+T if he wants to leave. That's a pretty good consolation prize for Cavs.

Harris is a pretty damn good defender.

As for this thread, I'd say Nets easily. I don't consider Thunder rebuilding, they are playing good already. They don't need more young players. They are set.
Nets on the other hand, have 2 allstars at center and pg. Are likely to get another allstar via draft (and I don't think they will end up with the top pick or worst record by the end of the season now that they are healthy).
Anywho, an allstar via draft and can sign a good allstar like boozer or Amare, both great fits alongside Brook. And they would have 3 of their stars in fairly modest deals (devin, brook, draftee) so they would be pretty well off financially. Not to mention a pretty good 6th man in Lee and a nice sf in Williams.

kozelkid
12-10-2009, 12:39 AM
Are you under a rock?

Wall & Monroe are neck & neck right now as the best NBA prospects in college basketball.

Wall's a great physical talent but his stock actually IMO has taken a hit since pre-season solely due to how reckless a ballhandler and passer he is. Wall is 2nd in D1 college basketball in turnovers.

Are you under a rock?
There are a good deal number of players better than Monroe. He has good skills, but he just isn't talented enough physically/athletically. Favors, Aldrich, Henry, Motiejunas, Turner, Aminu, etc are all likely to go before him. He's a good college player, but there's little to suggest that he will translate into a great NBA player.

TheKing23
12-10-2009, 12:39 AM
Anybody watching this Uconn-UK game?

John Wall is amazing, he single handedly took this game over

Wow... The guy is an absolute beast. All he needs to do is cut down on his turnovers and the sky is the limit. I can see him being the next star of the NBA and if the Nets get the number 1 pick, they HAVE to take him. A core of Devin Harris/John Wall/Brook Lopez, a max contract player (Bosh, Stoudemire, Wade, LeBron) and they'll still have enough for someone like Rudy Gay or Carlos Boozer if they would be willing to take about $8-9 million a year. Add into that the young talent of Courtney Lee, Terrence Williams and Chris Douglas-Roberts and I think they have the brightest future of all rebuilding teams.

dibacco59
12-10-2009, 12:40 AM
OKC all day

pg: Russel Westbrook
sg: James Harden
sf: Kevin Durant
pf: Jeff Green

in 3-4 years thats a scary big 4

metsfan316
12-10-2009, 12:50 AM
y are the Knicks not getting a pick?

kArSoN RyDaH
12-10-2009, 12:51 AM
clippppers are goin to be beasty. watch.

theuuord
12-10-2009, 01:01 AM

they lost it in the marbury trade from way back.

theuuord
12-10-2009, 01:04 AM
lmao @ three things:

1) the idea that ANYONE would not take John Wall with the first pick, New Jersey especially
2) the idea that Greg Monroe, who is by all accounts a late lottery-mid first round pick, is neck and neck with John Wall as the best prospects in college basketball
3) the idea that John Wall and Devin Harris could not coexist in the backcourt together

Man, that was funny. Moving on now.

ldc62
12-10-2009, 01:07 AM
I would think Minni cuz they got some good low post players (a little undersized- Love). But ill go with OKC and maybe Bucks cuz of Jennings.

http://i27.tinypic.com/256bcwp.gif

TheKing23
12-10-2009, 01:11 AM
lmao @ three things:

1) the idea that ANYONE would not take John Wall with the first pick, New Jersey especially
2) the idea that Greg Monroe, who is by all accounts a late lottery-mid first round pick, is neck and neck with John Wall as the best prospects in college basketball
3) the idea that John Wall and Devin Harris could not coexist in the backcourt together

I know, I think those two would work perfectly in the backcourt together, complementing each other's game nicely. Devin Harris, would help Wall in a lot of aspects, particularly keeping his turnovers down.

I really hope the Nets tank the rest of the season, because I would love to see those two side by side in the back court. I see him as a Wade 2.0 and they would be extremely exciting for the next half decade or so.

He is beastly... After just seeing what he did against a great Uconn team, there is no doubt in my mind that he is the consensus number 1 pick.

theuuord
12-10-2009, 01:16 AM
I know, I think those two would work perfectly in the backcourt together, complementing each other's game nicely. Devin Harris, would help Wall in a lot of aspects, particularly keeping his turnovers down.

They would be a perfect fit together. You rotate those two and Lee at the guard spots, with Dooling playing spot minutes. It's a fantastic combination. You don't overwork the star guard in his first season but still give him great playing time.

I really hope the Nets tank the rest of the season, because I would love to see those two side by side in the back court. I see him as a Wade 2.0 and they would be extremely exciting for the next half decade or so.

He is beastly... After just seeing what he did against a great Uconn team, there is no doubt in my mind that he is the consensus number 1 pick.

I'm personally very excited for the John Wall era in New Jersey. And in my universe there is no other possible option. So please wish good karma upon it.

kozelkid
12-10-2009, 01:28 AM

Traded to the Jazz.

kozelkid
12-10-2009, 01:30 AM
lmao @ three things:

The lack of 3pt shooting from those 2 in the guard spots would likely cause issues building a team around them. Can it work? Probably, but it's much tougher. Personally I think they trade Wall for an established star if they get him. Like possibly Lebron in a S+T.

theuuord
12-10-2009, 01:37 AM
The lack of 3pt shooting from those 2 in the guard spots would likely cause issues building a team around them. Can it work? Probably, but it's much tougher. Personally I think they trade Wall for an established star if they get him. Like possibly Lebron in a S+T.

Sign-and-trades rarely occur with players of either caliber on both sides of it. The Nets have players who shoot the three very well - Dooling, Lee, and Hayes, for example, are all players who can knock it down, and CDR's jumper has been improving a lot since last season. Not to mention Yi when he comes back, the only thing he can do right now is shoot.

Besides, if the Nets have the chance at the #1 pick, they're not going to pass him up for a three point specialist.

what54!?
12-10-2009, 01:41 AM
OKC.
westbrook
harden
durant
green
mullens (if he pans put)

scary good if they all stay together

kozelkid
12-10-2009, 01:51 AM
Sign-and-trades rarely occur with players of either caliber on both sides of it. The Nets have players who shoot the three very well - Dooling, Lee, and Hayes, for example, are all players who can knock it down, and CDR's jumper has been improving a lot since last season. Not to mention Yi when he comes back, the only thing he can do right now is shoot.

Besides, if the Nets have the chance at the #1 pick, they're not going to pass him up for a three point specialist.

Obviously. Wall is most definitely a #1 pick. But trading him is an option.
You are going to obviously need better 3pt options than Dooling or Hayes. And then T-will will probably have to be traded.
#1 picks have been traded a few times in the past. Haven't had a history of always working out, but it can. That or get Wall, find a good 3pt shooting sf (maybe sign Joe Johnson to play sf?) and get Troy Murphy.

Giaps
12-10-2009, 02:09 AM
Okc

WadeCounty
12-10-2009, 02:25 AM
why isnt the miami heat in this list? they ARE technically a rebuilding team, just because they have wade doesn't mean they aren't. Their other players are just chips for the heat for 2010, Now its basically experience gaining time for the heats young players

Sadds The Gr8
12-10-2009, 02:33 AM
obviously OKC because they have the best player in Durant...Westbrook and Green are good sidekicks too...and Harden off the bench.