PDA

View Full Version : This Entire Generation Overpaid

Saltinuts40
12-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Michael Jordan made just over $90 million during his playing career and $60 million came in his final two seasons in Chicago.

I understand that was a generation ago at this point with basketball contracts, but some of these NBA players are INSANELY overpaid.

Looking at it like it's a Movie grossing list, $100 million used to mean something when a movie would make that much. Now that's a goal for an opening weekend of a blockbuster, and it's what an indie film can make if it gets some Oscar love.

Kevin Garnett, who has been a big part of this generation's explosion, has made over $234 million in his career to date. Shaq has made $272 million.

But when a guy like Erica Dampier has made $83 million in his career, this league has gone insane with contracts.

lakerboy
12-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Capitalist America.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Jerome james gets 6 millions in a year for eating pancakes!

jimbobjarree
12-09-2009, 03:47 PM
i dont get the willingness of owners to spend millions of dollars over a load of years just for the sake of it, e.g corey maggette, all they have is an untradable contract

HiphopRelated
12-09-2009, 05:10 PM
nobody's prevernted from fielding a team of rookie scale and vet min

That's between the owner/gm and the fanbase

Raps18-19 Champ
12-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Doesn't Eddy Curry have like a $40 million contract right now.

ChiSox219
12-09-2009, 05:32 PM
nobody's prevernted from fielding a team of rookie scale and vet min

That's between the owner/gm and the fanbase
Ehh...

At the other end of the spectrum there is a minimum team salary, which is defined as 75% of the salary cap. Any team that doesn't spend at least that much is surcharged at the end of the season, and that money is given to the players. In practice, most teams' salaries will be higher than the salary cap amount.

While player salaries have risen, so have league revenues, When you are in an industry that has huge revenues, the people that create that revenue are going to get huge salaries. Exxon's CEO made 22.4 million in 08 up from 16.7 in 07 because Exxon generated record revenues and profit.

ko8e24
12-09-2009, 05:34 PM
i dont get the willingness of owners to spend millions of dollars over a load of years just for the sake of it, e.g corey maggette, all they have is an untradable contract

it's like "oh we couldn't resign baron, so what do we do with all this money??????......eh, we'll give it to this guy"

JordansBulls
12-09-2009, 05:38 PM
I agree and have always said it. When Legends back in the day would harldy even get 500k you have 6th men now getting 10 million a year

Hawkeye15
12-09-2009, 05:40 PM
totally agree that the pay scale has gotten ridiculous. Its effected the fan base I think. There are less average fans of the NBA I think. Its impossible to identify with young men who make more money by the time they are 25 than you will in your lifetime. And when they cry, or get in trouble, it is just irritating to the normal person

HiphopRelated
12-09-2009, 06:00 PM
What I find funny is the unintended commentary that if the league took advantage of players in previous generations, the status quo should have been upheld.

valpo34
12-09-2009, 06:18 PM
The fact that players get paid what they do is not bad but BEAUTIFUL. The reason that players make so much money is that we, as fans, are free to spend our money that we earn however we see fit. This means that while someone else might say that spending money on books is more important than buying an NBA jersey it doesnt matter and we are still free to buy the jersey if we want (I dont but people do). All that increase in payscale means is that more money is flowing through the system so either A)more people are buying NBA stuff. B) the game has become more popular and more people watch leading to increased advertising or C) NBA teams have found additional sources or avenues for revenue. So think of the overall impact as a possitive while understanding that certain conracts are not going to be benificial in a salary capped league for the individual team involved.

COLH
12-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Michael Jordan made just over $90 million during his playing career and $60 million came in his final two seasons in Chicago.

I understand that was a generation ago at this point with basketball contracts, but some of these NBA players are INSANELY overpaid.

Looking at it like it's a Movie grossing list, $100 million used to mean something when a movie would make that much. Now that's a goal for an opening weekend of a blockbuster, and it's what an indie film can make if it gets some Oscar love.

Kevin Garnett, who has been a big part of this generation's explosion, has made over $234 million in his career to date. Shaq has made $272 million.

But when a guy like Erica Dampier has made $83 million in his career, this league has gone insane with contracts.

whoa, are you serious!? That's all MJ earned from the Bulls? Yeah I heard that back in the day Patrick Ewing was one of the highest paid NBA players because he was with the Knicks, far greater than MJ's contract. But I would have never thought that that's all MJ got...His endorsements and stuff really helped him though, eh?ahhahah

sofargone
12-09-2009, 06:39 PM
whoa, are you serious!? That's all MJ earned from the Bulls? Yeah I heard that back in the day Patrick Ewing was one of the highest paid NBA players because he was with the Knicks, far greater than MJ's contract. But I would have never thought that that's all MJ got...His endorsements and stuff really helped him though, eh?ahhahah
MJ probably makes 90 million a year in endorsements though.

Vinny642
12-09-2009, 06:43 PM
People make way too much, plays on our team make way more than they are worth, Peja 14 Mill, Emeka- 10, Mo Pete and Posey- 6 Mill

sofargone
12-09-2009, 06:44 PM
People make way too much, plays on our team make way more than they are worth, Peja 14 Mill, Emeka- 10, Mo Pete and Posey- 6 Mill
That's because your GM is an idiot, your team is ****ed.

Vinny642
12-09-2009, 06:51 PM
That's because your GM is an idiot, your team is ****ed.

Not when they expire u ignorant sh**

Lakers14
12-09-2009, 07:14 PM
I find it funny that people always talk about the amount of money players make, but the owners are over paid. Oh much money do you think these owners get paid in there lifetime.

The players deserve whatever they can get, they doing all the work and taking the biggest risk.

SteveNash
12-09-2009, 07:45 PM
So because players in the past were underpaid, it makes todays players overpaid?

If the entire generation as you say were overpaid, then the NBA would have collapsed as owners wouldn't be able to afford to have NBA teams.

THE MTL
12-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Players between 1998 and 2007 are ridiculously overpaid. Jermaine O'Neal and Stephon Marbury also made 200 million in their NBA careers. Jason Kidd at 20 million per yr (still a huge contract).

However, Michael Jordan was a pioneer. He put the NBA on the map and made the flashy basketball with all the star power into a celebrity. He is the reason why endorsements are so high and basketball is as popular as it is.

theuuord
12-09-2009, 08:38 PM
can't blame the players. what are they supposed to say? "don't pay me"?

Big Quett
12-12-2009, 07:39 PM
I find it funny that people always talk about the amount of money players make, but the owners are over paid. Oh much money do you think these owners get paid in there lifetime.

The players deserve whatever they can get, they doing all the work and taking the biggest risk.

Risk? You mean by signing a GUARANTEED contract? So no matter how many millions the owner loses he has to pay the players.

AddiX
12-12-2009, 07:43 PM
The sad part is when teams resign a guy to a big contract and than have to trade him the next year because they are either not contenders or they want to lower their payroll.

daleja424
12-12-2009, 07:53 PM
its not overpaid if it is the entire nba... its just the direction of the game... demand increases and competition for FAs heats up and teams spend spend spend...

JasonJohnHorn
12-12-2009, 08:11 PM
OMG!!!! The wages ARE insane! We've got average, mid-level guys making as much in a year as guys like Bird and Magic made throughout most of their careers. And even if you consider inflation, the numbers are crazy. Four-six million dollar contracts were considered rich back-n-the-day, but now they are paltry salaries. That said, the teams then had the same problems as teams now. Over-paying for mid-level talent or "promising" players. The best thing is though that the league got the rookie contracts under control. Considering that rookies like Danny Ferry, were signing contracts worth more than what Bird made in his entie career, without ever having stepped on the floor. Webber, Shaq, Mourning, and many others signed huge contracts as rookies, and that has been brought down a lot, but max contracts are three or four times as high as they were in the early 90's. In the early 90's only the best players made four or five million dollars, and now that is the mid-level exception that teams use for back-up players. Its crazy now.