PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sure the Spurs can make the playoffs

69centers
12-09-2009, 01:56 PM
I have to say right off that unless the Jazz slip, or the Blazers can't keep on truckin' without Oden, that I don't believe the Spurs will make the playoffs. Richard Jefferson is not meshing well with this team, they aren't playing well at home, and are 9-9 and that's with only playing 6 road games, when most teams have already played a dozen. And they are 1-5 already, so what about when they get back up to a regular road pace?

Manu keeps missing time with injuries, Parker isn't dominating games as in past years (lowest PPG right now in 5 years), and some older legs are showing with Duncan and Finley. Bonner and Bogans aren't the key pieces that are going to get them anywhere in the playoffs, if they can even make it.

I know it's early, and the Spurs usually save their best for later in the season. But I am calling it now, I don't think they are making the playoffs.

superkegger
12-09-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm still not worried about them. If there's one thing I won't do, it's count the Spurs out. Ever.

nolin
12-09-2009, 02:13 PM
I have to say right off that unless the Jazz slip, or the Blazers can't keep on truckin' without Oden, that I don't believe the Spurs will make the playoffs. Richard Jefferson is not meshing well with this team, they aren't playing well at home, and are 9-9 and that's with only playing 6 road games, when most teams have already played a dozen. And they are 1-5 already, so what about when they get back up to a regular road pace?

Manu keeps missing time with injuries, Parker isn't dominating games as in past years (lowest PPG right now in 5 years), and some older legs are showing with Duncan and Finley. Bonner and Bogans aren't the key pieces that are going to get them anywhere in the playoffs, if they can even make it.

I know it's early, and the Spurs usually save their best for later in the season. But I am calling it now, I don't think they are making the playoffs.

Is this a ****ing joke? Spurs not make the playoffs? you have to be joking? The Bulls have a better chance of winning the championship then the spurs do of not making the playoffs.

TheKing23
12-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Seriously...?

You think there are 8 teams that will finish with a better record than the Spurs in the West?

Richard Jefferson will start to mesh, Manu and Tony will regain some of their form with playing time and Timmy will continue to give you 20/10 night in, night out and the Spurs will slowly creep towards 55 wins and a top 3 seeding in the west.

8kobe24
12-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Way too early discount this team. If you look at their history, they are always off to a slow start.

Raph12
12-09-2009, 02:22 PM
With guys like Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobli, Richard Jefferson and Antonio McDyess in their lineup, I still have this team ranked pretty high when healthy... but that's the key for them, WHEN HEALTHY!

tdunk21
12-09-2009, 02:48 PM
if timmy manu or tp are not healthy...then yeah there is a possibility that the spurs cant make it to the playoffs....i wouldnt under estimate them yet...coz they have been there and done that...

NYKnickFanatic
12-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Never sleep on the Spurs.

BaustinSali08
12-09-2009, 03:26 PM
There is still a lot of basketball to be played. They are still in it.

Highlight
12-09-2009, 05:46 PM
I'm still not worried about them. If there's one thing I won't do, it's count the Spurs out. Ever.

Exactly.

The Spurs will be there at the end of the day. It's still taking time for the team to mesh together well. Richard Jefferson hasn't fit into his role yet, but that's expected.

It takes time for players to get used to a new system and a new coach. I know for Pau it wasn't like that, but in most cases, it takes players time to get used to a new system.

I give it a couple more weeks and they will be back on track. They are just too good not to make the playoffs.

jimbobjarree
12-09-2009, 06:43 PM
you dont count the Spurs out. Spurs v Lakers first round would be as good as it gets that early.

why would they only make it if the jazz and blazers slip, what about whoevers in 7th and 8th?

JayW_1023
12-10-2009, 06:29 AM
We're not a very good basketball team right now. But I believe we are still a postseason team. But a contender, I'm not so sure anymore...realistically speaking.

Manu had quite the game yesterday...showing he can still take over.

shep33
12-10-2009, 07:09 AM
I think they'll make it but they gotta get it together, and they're not getting any younger. They're too old, and I think they gotta blow this team up and get younger. Jefferson trade wasn't as good as we thought it'd be. I think they'll finish 5th.

Wilson
12-10-2009, 10:03 AM
I said all summer that the Spurs would have a slow start to the season, and they probably wouldn't get the top seed as so many people predicted they would. They are a very old team, and since Greg Popovich has made a point of reducing minutes early in the season in the past, what made people think this season would be any different? Consider this:

Tim Duncan - 32.4 minutes per game, lowest of his career
Tony Parker - 30.4 MPG, lowest since rookie season
Manu Ginobili - 23.0 MPG, lowest since rookie season
Richard Jefferson - 33.5 MPG, lowest since rookie season
Antonio McDyess - 21.0 MPG, lowest of career
Michael Finley - 18.3 MPG, lowest of career

The Spurs are absolutely fine. They'll heat up after the all-star game and finish 5th or 6th in the West. They might even get up to 4th, depending on what happens with Phoenix and Portland.

I think the Spurs are the only team that can prevent a Lakers/Nuggets re-match in the Western Conference Finals.

todu82
12-10-2009, 10:33 AM
It's the Spurs, I'm sure they'll be fine.

#1Mavericksfan
12-10-2009, 11:20 AM
The Spurs are gonna make the playoffs c'mon now....I just don't see them going very far once they get in.

Raph12
12-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Tim Duncan has never not made the playoffs in his career, don't think something as trivial as age will stop him.

king4day
12-10-2009, 11:57 AM
What's the magic number for them to be eliminated?

69centers
12-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Way too early discount this team. If you look at their history, they are always off to a slow start.

History is not going to get them into the playoffs. This is the worst I've seen them start a season in the Tim Duncan era. If there's ever a time to break tradition, it will be this year.

Weber22
12-10-2009, 02:08 PM
The spurs will still finish in the top six in the western conference.

ManRam
12-10-2009, 02:11 PM
I also am certain they'll get it together. I still think they will be in the discussion as to who is the second best team in the West...and could possibly contend. They are too deep and talented to be this bad. They're just coasting right now...not over exerting themselves. Pops is an amazing coach. By the end of the year, and come playoff time, they'll be clicking on all cylinders.

Houston will fall off, as will Phoenix, OKC, and even Portland without Oden. I think they'll finish 4-5 in the West.

smith&wesson
12-10-2009, 02:12 PM
i think the spurs should rebuild. duncan cant carry this team any more... and the suporting cast isnt going to carry it for him eaither.