PDA

View Full Version : Yao won't opt out

kblo247
12-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Don't expect a very big guy to be available during perhaps the NBA's biggest free-agency summer ever.

That's the word from Houston general manager Daryl Morey about 7-foot-6 Yao Ming. He has no doubt the center, out all season following foot surgery, won't opt out of his contract next summer to become a free agent.

"He's very loyal, and he's going to opt in,'' Morey said in an interview Monday night with FanHouse. "He's definitely coming back.''

When asked if Yao has told him specifically he won't opt out of his contract, Morey didn't consider that necessary. Morey said he and Yao regularly have talked about next season.

"He loves Houston and he's very loyal,'' Morey said. "He's coming back. (Next) summer we'll talk about how to integrate him (back with the Rockets).''

Yao can opt out next summer of the final season of a five-year deal paying him $17.69 million. If he doesn't opt out and the Rockets don't sign him to an extension by June 30, 2011, he would become an unrestricted free agent July 1, 2011.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/12/08/morey-yao-wont-opt-out-of-contract/

Not really surprising with his injury history that he is staying with sure money.

This may put a damper on their free agent hopes though.

Mavrix
12-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Hahaha loyal my ***. His *** is injured and he knows if he opts out no ones gonna offer him max money like the final year of his contract.

JWO35
12-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Yeah...He's sticking with the guaranteed money

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Hahaha loyal my ***. His *** is injured and he knows if he opts out no ones gonna offer him max money like the final year of his contract.

exactly

Chronz
12-09-2009, 01:32 PM
You guys really dont know Yao or his worth, he could easily opt out and command a long term deal, the dude is a basketball cash cow. He brings in so much in endorsements alone that it makes it worth the risk. And hes a great player on top of that, but yes I agree somewhat. Maybe Yao wants more money so he has to prove he can come back.

Raph12
12-09-2009, 02:06 PM
You guys really dont know Yao or his worth, he could easily opt out and command a long term deal, the dude is a basketball cash cow. He brings in so much in endorsements alone that it makes it worth the risk. And hes a great player on top of that, but yes I agree somewhat. Maybe Yao wants more money so he has to prove he can come back.

That is a HUGE factor that GMs heavily consider, plus Yao doesn't really rely on his athleticism much so I feel like he can still come back and be a 18-20ppg, 10+rpg and 2bpg kind of guy... for those reasons alone, he could command a max deal, or something in that ball park.

cali72888
12-09-2009, 02:16 PM

How long have you known Yao? you guys go to school or something in Hong Kong?

The face is you do not know Yao or have any remote idea about how much a team would pay him, your speaking out of your *** because you are a Yao Ming fan.

Even with the endorsements he would bring to whatever team is stupid enough to sign him, he is not going to get 17.5 million on the open market.

He may get a deal worth 10-12 million but no he will not get max money after sitting out a year.

What endorsements would a team actually receive by signing the glass man? Maybe draw some more Asian fans, but by that logic wouldn't Yi Jianlian be getting max money also?

Hawkeye15
12-09-2009, 02:23 PM

but do you not agree that he would still get a long term high dollar deal even after next year? He would be stupid to leave $17 million on the table. Anyone who understands value knows that if an owner is interested more in profits than winning, signing Yao to sit in a suit for 82 games would make TONS of money

FOBolous
12-09-2009, 02:32 PM

The face is you do not know Yao or have any remote idea about how much a team would pay him, your speaking out of your *** because you are a Yao Ming fan.

Even with the endorsements he would bring to whatever team is stupid enough to sign him, he is not going to get 17.5 million on the open market.

He may get a deal worth 10-12 million but no he will not get max money after sitting out a year.

What endorsements would a team actually receive by signing the glass man? Maybe draw some more Asian fans, but by that logic wouldn't Yi Jianlian be getting max money also?

Yao's not from Hong Kong btw. just thought you should know.

Verbal Christ
12-09-2009, 06:39 PM
some of you 'smart dumb cats' really dont understand yao's economic impact on the league do ya? 17 MIL is nothing to this guy, and i guran DAMN tee you if he left it on the table teams would be LINING UP A MILE AWAY to get a crack, with crazy money thrown at him. like others have said he could wear a suit or wipe up sweat from the floor and whatever franchise that he takes pics for would RAKE IN THE MONEY, its not big secret how the rockets have climbed FORBES ranks among sports franchises, and the reason why. you 'analysts' should really think before you post, and for that you get a big C'MON MAAAAN. also why would the ROX be hurt in FA by keeping yao??? who wouldnt want to play with the premier center in basketball and ride his coat tails straight to the bank .... several ex scrub rockets are in china as we speak making tons of money, you guys are a hoot.

BoSelecta!!!
12-09-2009, 09:45 PM

you dont need to go to the same school with yao to know that he brings money. Yi on another hand, is different case. He is jus not good enough to be so called asian hero.

CowboysKB24
12-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Houston is a good place for him. He'll be the star. Tracy is done. He is getting big money already and will get a good extension. It is a smart simple move. Rockets treated him well through out his injuries and were loyal to him. He is just being a good man and respected others that respected him.

He could go elsewhere and get big money IMO. Some one will pay him. He still has good years left.

AddiX
12-09-2009, 10:14 PM
We dont even know if Yao will ever come back and be effective, so who cares.

Kakaroach
12-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Lol @ everyone who said Yao isn't loyal. Guess nobody has heard him talk about the Rockets organization and how much he loves the fans, city, and the team. This move was expected though, especially after going out for the whole season.

RocketsRule
12-10-2009, 02:01 AM

Yeah, pretty much. His injury is career threatening so I doubt he would get over $10 million in the open market.

Chronz
12-10-2009, 07:23 PM

How much do you think Yao is making this year? Around that amount so its not like Yao is choosing to opt in because he couldnt sign the exact same deal he has again, hes doing it to try and sign a larger one. Thats different than a player like say Jermaine Oneal whos making 20M deciding hed rather stay put 1 more year before signing a max MLE deal. Yao could easily re up for the same amount.

To be honest with you I wouldve hoped Yao opted out for the good of the team but its his choice.

Trouble87
12-10-2009, 08:47 PM

I thought the exact same thing