PDA

View Full Version : Would the Timberwolves be a contender if they didn't Trade KG and Brandon Roy?

td0tsfinest
12-08-2009, 04:04 PM
In 2006, Brandon Roy was drafted by the Timberwolves but was traded on draft night for Randy Foye. The year later KG was dealt to the Celtics.

But what would have happened if Garnett had a chance to play alongside Roy? Would they have been the best tandem in the league?

sofargone
12-08-2009, 04:05 PM
probably not, but they would probably be a playoff team.

Chronz
12-08-2009, 04:13 PM
This is a great What IF Ive never thought of before, it would give you a 30 year old KG and a 22year old Roy as your foundation. Roy becomes an all-star year 2, KG declines rapidly by year 3 at which point Roy makes a similar leap forward. So however good they will be in year 1 is how good they will be in year 3 together. With Year 2 being their best chance at a title. Maybe more free agents come to help KG if they know he only needs a little more help.

Oviously its a good choice but they still need to trade KG only now there is no Al Jefferson to be had, instead you get Scola or something.

bigsams50
12-08-2009, 04:15 PM
They would be great together, but their supporting cast wouldnt be good enough to compete with the Lakers, Spurs, Cavs, or Magic

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-08-2009, 04:18 PM
all these "if" threads are just pointless

BoognishMN
12-08-2009, 04:25 PM
^ Thank you, they only seem to come up in NBA, mabye there should be a subforum for them.

Turtle55
12-08-2009, 04:26 PM
It's an interesting thought. They'd be pretty good but not better than the Lakers or Orlando.

Turtle55
12-08-2009, 04:27 PM
^ Thank you, they only seem to come up in NBA, mabye there should be a subforum for them.

Or they can title the thread what the subject matter in the thread is and if you don't want to talk about it you simply don't go into that thread. Just one possible suggestion :rolleyes:

stevefrancis
12-08-2009, 04:42 PM
what if I was 6'6 with a 50 inch vertical with magic powers to never miss a shot. how many championships would i win?

BoognishMN
12-08-2009, 04:45 PM
"Or they can title the thread what the subject matter in the thread is and if you don't want to talk about it you simply don't go into that thread. Just one possible suggestion."

You are right I probaly should just live and let live. My biggest issue is that these types of threads act as if these moves are done in a vacum with no other reprcusions. I don't have the time to go back and look at every move made since that draft, but by not tradding Roy for Foye, there would be a number of things that happened differently. One thing off the top of my head is does Boston w/o KG still have Pierce or do they deal him off, why would they trade for Ray Allen if they weren't a title contender, where does he end up, with a different trade for Allen does OKC get the second pick and take Durant, and so on and so on.

Derick713
12-08-2009, 04:46 PM
The T-Wolves have made a lot of mistakes. What if they kept Ray Allen. What if they took Kobe Bryant over Ray Allen. What if the T-Wolves had taken Josh Howard in 2003. There are a lot of what ifs with the T-Wolves

What if the T-Wolves took the Chanlder, Deng, and Tyrus Thomas deal.

What if the T-Wolves traded up for either James Harden or Tyreke Evans

WHAT COULD'VE HAPPENED AFTER KG

OJ Mayo/Ty Lawson/
Brandon Roy/JR Smith/
Luol Deng/Thaddeus Young/
LaMarcus Aldridge/Paul Millsap/
Brook Lopez/Marc Gasol/

Reddd
12-08-2009, 04:47 PM
what if i was 6'6 with a 50 inch vertical with magic powers to never miss a shot. How many championships would i win?

6?

sofargone
12-08-2009, 04:47 PM
what if i was 6'6 with a 50 inch vertical with magic powers to never miss a shot. How many championships would i win?

Hawkeye15
12-08-2009, 04:53 PM
nope. The Wolves had all dead weight around then, outside KG and Roy. Jaric, Hassell, and a number of other crappy contracts would have simply made them first round dead meat.

bostncelts34
12-08-2009, 05:01 PM
would be a completely diffrent team. yea, they would have KG and Roy, but no Big al,gomes, flynn and so on

Chronz
12-08-2009, 05:05 PM
what if I was 6'6 with a 50 inch vertical with magic powers to never miss a shot. how many championships would i win?

All of them, you see how crappy your what ifs are? That is why you should leave it up to the pros

Hawkeye15
12-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Here is there roster that year, with Roy
KG
Roy
Blount
Davis
Griffin
Hassell
Hudson
James
Jaric
McCants
Reed
Smith

That is a 35-40 win team. The next year, a 40-42 win team. And then KG declines.
While it still goes down as a terrible trade, Roy for Foye, it at least made sure Minnesota got back talent for KG before it was too late. By the time Roy came along, McHale had failed so miserably to surround KG with talent, it was too late.

Hawkeye15
12-08-2009, 05:20 PM
on top of that, at the time, the Wolves, for some reason (even last year), didn't play rookies in huge prominent roles. Roy's growth would have been slowed. In fact, I still believe they hindered Foye's growth. They tried to ease him along, despite the fact that he was named "4th quarter Foye" quickly, and showed the ability to penetrate and score. They refused to give him big minutes. By the time they did, he was so caught up in the Roy deal from the team/fans perspective, he never had a chance.

HoopsDrive
12-08-2009, 05:32 PM
6?

666 THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST

Up the Irons

Anyway, they would be a playoff team for about 2 years or until KG declines... assuming they don't get help or anything in all those years.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-08-2009, 08:17 PM
What if david stern marries with Candace Parker???

Turtle55
12-10-2009, 11:38 AM
"Or they can title the thread what the subject matter in the thread is and if you don't want to talk about it you simply don't go into that thread. Just one possible suggestion."

You are right I probaly should just live and let live. My biggest issue is that these types of threads act as if these moves are done in a vacum with no other reprcusions. I don't have the time to go back and look at every move made since that draft, but by not tradding Roy for Foye, there would be a number of things that happened differently. One thing off the top of my head is does Boston w/o KG still have Pierce or do they deal him off, why would they trade for Ray Allen if they weren't a title contender, where does he end up, with a different trade for Allen does OKC get the second pick and take Durant, and so on and so on.

I get that I just get annoyed when some people just come into threads to complain about the topic of the thread. There are tons of threads I never even click on because the topic doesn't interest me.

On topic the Wolves really didn't have much outside of Garnett. They probably should still make the Big Al trade with Roy. That's a nicer foundation than they have now and both are young enough to really build around.

Raph12
12-10-2009, 12:20 PM

Look Steve, you had your chance and you blew it, now why don't you and Starbury go eat some vaseline together.

Seriously, why come to the thread just to bash it? :rolleyes:

DWADE4MVP!!
12-10-2009, 12:47 PM
the twolves also drafted ray allen and traded him away! this is y the twolves r not successful because they dont kno potential when they see it! they trade great prospects for good prospects and even draft people that shouldnt have been draft (Hint hint Ricky Rubio)

Turtle55
12-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Ray Allen, Roy, Mayo, why does the Timber wolf organization consistently historically hate talented shooting guards?

AddiX
12-10-2009, 04:33 PM
The Wolves are a bad organization. There is a big difference between a bad team and a bad organization. Bad teams can be fixed in a few years if you bring in the right guy.

Bad organizations will stay bad organizations no matter what they do. They thought getting rid of Kevin was going to fix their team. Nope, they still suck, and they have no long term or short term plan.

Hawkeye15
12-10-2009, 05:00 PM
The Wolves are a bad organization. There is a big difference between a bad team and a bad organization. Bad teams can be fixed in a few years if you bring in the right guy.

Bad organizations will stay bad organizations no matter what they do. They thought getting rid of Kevin was going to fix their team. Nope, they still suck, and they have no long term or short term plan.

I imagine Minnesotans everywhere thank you for the high praise.

Hawkeye15
12-10-2009, 05:00 PM
you can't fix what McHale did in 3 months. Sorry.

boeknows
12-11-2009, 02:00 AM

See this is why u should be a NBA GM. Because ur so on top of things and you know so much about what is going on around the league.

_KB24_
12-11-2009, 02:16 AM
I hate "ifs" unless they pose a good question and not just some fanboy trying to make a point. I say Minny was freaking STUPID to trade ROY when they could have draft Foye in the first place. ROY + GARNETT would be pretty sick.

AddiX
12-11-2009, 01:20 PM
See this is why u should be a NBA GM. Because ur so on top of things and you know so much about what is going on around the league.

Tell me what their plan is than?

They traded KG years ago and did nothing with that. Then they proceeded to make trade after trade and yet they still have made no improvements.

Do they even have an idea of what kind of system they want to run? I guess they plan on waiting for Rubio maybe? How does a team who always seems to be among the top of the draft have such limited talent?

It's just a bad organization, plain and simple. Like the Detroit Lions of basketball.

Hawkeye15
12-11-2009, 01:53 PM
There plan, once KG was traded, was to dwindle down some long term deals to create flexibility, of which McHale started to do. He was able to shed Jaric and Walker's deal, get Mike Miller, and Kevin Love, for Mayo. That was a win trade for Minny. McHale was then demoted, and let go.
Kahn traded Foye (needed to be resigned, always going to live under the blanket of the trade), and Miller, for Rubio. Of which they hold his rights, period. As he gets better overseas, he will command way more in a trade. They drafted Flynn for their PG, and then signed the best FA PG in Sessions.
Their roster has a plethora of short term deals, with roster and cap flexibility to make a trade for a stud, or make a play in Free agency. They have multiple 1st round picks, as well as 2 players stashed in Europe. Their starting lineup is the 3rd youngest in the NBA, and they have a future all star in Jefferson, and most likely Love as well.

There plan is to have a great draft, AGAIN, either get a dynamic wing thru a trade this season or in FA, and add some peices here and there thru trades with their small deals, and grow as a team.

That is a 10,000 foot level of their plan, if you will.

MaHaRaJaH
12-11-2009, 02:57 PM
all these "if" threads are just pointless

But this what if changed EVERYTHING for that team, they had the high picks and the players. The choice was made. It's not like this happened so long ago (such as 10 years)

Hawkeye15
12-11-2009, 03:06 PM
But this what if changed EVERYTHING for that team, they had the high picks and the players. The choice was made. It's not like this happened so long ago (such as 10 years)

not really. They would have had Roy, and an aging KG. Nothing else. Look at their roster from that year. I can post it for you if you like

WSU Tony
12-11-2009, 09:52 PM
With 1 good off season, the Twins are set up very well for the future. Seriously, one lucky draft pick and the usage of cap space and we're a decent team.

Mauersota
12-11-2009, 10:24 PM
With 1 good off season, the Twins are set up very well for the future. Seriously, one lucky draft pick and the usage of cap space and we're a decent team.

Wrong team.

arkanian215
12-11-2009, 11:42 PM
nah roy wouldnt be as good if he had kg to start off with. guys get better by learning to put more on their shoulders and learning how to command the game on their own. kg would stunt his progress.

JasonJohnHorn
12-12-2009, 01:14 AM
I gotta say, I have great empathy for T-Wolves fans. McHale wasted so many draft picks, and passed up on so many great players, and not only never managed to build a real contender around Garnett (outside of the season Detroit ended up winning it and the T-Wolves lost in the conference finals to the Lakers). Between that illegal Joe Smith contract that lost the T-Wolves a couple draft picks, and picking guys like Roy and even Ray Allen some years ago, and then trading them, the T-Wolves front office has shot themselves in the foot more than once. Luc Longley was a bad pick as there were several big men that the T-Wolves passed up on (Dale Davis, Stanley Roberts and Chris Gatling. And Felton Spencer over Tyron Hill? And I know T-Wolves fans were happy with Wally, but they missed out on Shawn Marion, Jason Terry, Richard Hamilton and Andre Miller in that draft. And Artest and Magette too. And Brewer hasn't been coming along as nicely as some of the guys he got drafted above; Noah, Thaddeus Young and Al Thorton most notably.

Sometimes the T-Wolves have had bad luck in that they've had high draft picks in weak drafts, but they could have had Garnett and Allen together years ago. Keeping Roy would have been good for the team, but they wouldn't have been playing at the level Boston did. Roy is good, but he's not where Pearce is right now and there would have been nobody at Allen's level to play with them.

Still, had the T-Wolves kept Ray Allen back in the day, they may have been able to put together a strong team considering they also had chances to pick up guys like Artest, Marion and Hamilton.

With or without Garnett though, the T-Wolves would be better off with Roy for sure!

zambo4president
12-12-2009, 01:22 AM
I never thought of this before, KG and Roy would be a very interesting tandem. I don't think so though, too many what ifs.

Kakaroach
12-12-2009, 01:44 AM
Hmmm Garnett and B-Roy along with who else though? If they had those 2, no guaranteeing they would have Kevin Love right now cuz their pick wouldn't have been high. They would have been relevant for sure, but prolly not title contenders.

La11
12-12-2009, 02:05 AM
would be a completely diffrent team. yea, they would have KG and Roy, but no Big al,gomes, flynn and so on

soo you'll rather have those guys than kg and b roy? umm have you seen minny's record lately..?