PDA

View Full Version : Plan for HasheemThabeet?

AI4MVP
12-07-2009, 05:59 PM
i dont understand the grizzlies plan for hasheem thabeet. theyre already developing Marc Gasol as there center for the future. do they plan to develop hasheem thabeet as the backup center of the future or something? i dont get it. id understand them drafting thabeet if they had a center that was about to retire in a couple years, but this just doesnt make sense to me. do they plan to move Marc Gasol to the pf? someone please explain this to me its been bugging me for a while

icon1914
12-07-2009, 08:58 PM
I think the Grizz were last, or very close to last, in shot blocking last year. I think they wanted to get a defensive player. I figure that Memphis knew they had a solid enough center that would give Thabeet time to develop... I don't think they expected Gasol to emerge like he is.... But its not much of an issue though. Thabeet looks like it will be some time before he starts to step on Gasol's minutes.

I'm sure someone else could give a bit more insight, but I'm Memphis thought he would fit the best with their future plans. I think they should have picked a PG, but Memphis is afraid of disrupting Conley's flow. Can't really blame Memphis for passing on Jennings since most GMs did as well.. but Flynn and Tyreke would have made great additions and made Conley step up, or become a trading chip.

mzgrizz
12-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Well, I don't understand it either, but I think icon1914 has a pretty good analysis. We never had much of an inside defender's presence, and no one expected Marc Gasol to come back in such great form after the summer. We also had no real idea how well ZBo would mesh with the team and he has been absolutely terrific. So Thabeet was a good pick for another big.......just in case IMO ! What the FO will do with him will probably take some time to figure out. We have 2 more years with Gasol; 1 more year with ZBo so they do have the luxury of giving him some quality minutes and seasoning. I think we should have gone after a defensive minded #3, but then Sam Young and Demarre Carroll have also been looking good. Where we lack, once again, is the PG and I agree Tyreke would have been a better choice. Hindsight is always 20-20.

AI4MVP
12-13-2009, 04:21 AM
still think yall shuda gone with rubio. u dont need a point guard that scores like jennings or evans. u have enough scoreers. rubio would have been perfect distributing the ball. and yes. he would have came over because he would have gotten mmore money

Sports Illustrator
12-18-2009, 04:46 PM
still think yall shuda gone with rubio. u dont need a point guard that scores like jennings or evans. u have enough scoreers. rubio would have been perfect distributing the ball. and yes. he would have came over because he would have gotten mmore money

Even that wouldn't work either. The team is interested and focused on having Mike Conley to be the PG of the future for this team. It also explains why Allen Iverson wasn't starting for the short time period that he played for the Memphis Grizzlies this season.

And even if the Grizzlies did draft Rubio, he'd go back to Spain anyway.

SluggeR
12-21-2009, 12:25 AM
Ultimately either gasol or thabeet is gonna have to ride. I can see or the other being packaged for something or somethings they can use. Ask the clippers how having two centers help a squad. once rubio said he wasn't coming, they should have traded the pick or picked a point that was gonna challenge conley(survival of the fittest).

Trouble87
01-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Thabeet is 7'3 and only 22 yrs old... His potential on the defensive end of the court is ridiculous

From what ive heard he's a hard worker and coachable. Always room on a roster for a guy like that.

On Saturday he had 10pts 3 blks 5rebs in about 20mins.... the kid can be a game changer in the future

Verbal Christ
01-21-2010, 08:50 PM
would grizzly fan embrace a shane battier for thabeet trade?

mzgrizz
01-22-2010, 12:06 AM
Maybe.......although I know Thabeet has more upside than Shane right now.

ChicagoBulls23
01-24-2010, 05:10 PM
I think that the Grizzlies are going to keep Thabeet and put Marc at the PF spot.

SenecaValley46
01-24-2010, 07:38 PM
Dont know much about the NBA but honestly Im a Pitt fan and taking Thabeet over Blair was a huge mistake. Blair straight up bullied that scrawny dude all game long last year. complete mismatch

Big Quett
01-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Dont know much about the NBA but honestly Im a Pitt fan and taking Thabeet over Blair was a huge mistake. Blair straight up bullied that scrawny dude all game long last year. complete mismatch

ok and 1 game proves what?...yeah he did have 1 good game and the next game Thebeet shut him down. but i guess you forgot about that huh?....even thought that game was in at Pitt

And anyway thanks for you advice and expertise but i think the Grizz are doing just fine

Big Quett
01-24-2010, 09:13 PM
I think that the Grizzlies are going to keep Thabeet and put Marc at the PF spot.

Ok and put Zach where.......?

Mauersota
01-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Ok and put Zach where.......?

A three man rotation at PF and C isn't a bad thing.

mzgrizz
01-25-2010, 12:09 AM
^^^ No, it is not a bad thing and I think we're doing it to a certain extent already. And doing pretty darn good at it ,too.

Big Quett
01-25-2010, 10:22 AM
A three man rotation at PF and C isn't a bad thing.

Yeah and that is what we have with Thebeet coming off the bench

Sports Illustrator
01-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Its a tough situation because Zach Randolph is having a fantastic season in helping the team produce wins and the same could be said about Marc Gasol. Aside from that, Thabeet is still developing his game and may not be NBA ready yet which may be the reason why he's not getting minutes as many Grizzly fans would have liked to see.

By next season, he should be starting though. So if Randolph and Gasol are still here, that means Thabeet will be coming off the bench.

cali72888
02-19-2010, 09:45 PM
I have a feeling Ellis is going to be traded from the Warriors during the offseason, Ellis is from Memphis and you guys have been interested in him before.

Very well could work out a trade: Re-sign Gay package him with Thabeet and ship them to Golden State for Ellis.

Ethix11
02-20-2010, 12:25 AM
dude check out your new logo

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2010021929

mzgrizz
02-20-2010, 12:29 AM
I altready did..pretty wild. WOnder if Yahoo sports knows something we don't?

drob33
02-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Well, we just sent Thabeet to the D-League. He has to be the highest paid player there. It's pretty humiliating sending the 2nd pick down to the D-League, as we're publicly admitting we blew the pick. The good news is that we can cut him after next year.

mzgrizz
02-26-2010, 01:25 AM
I am 4++++ glad they have done this. Having him ride the pines and not improving at all is a bigger bust in the chops to the FO=Heisley than trying to get him some seasoning in the D-league.
OK big guy.....learn the ropes and put on some muscle!!

I Am Awesome-O
03-06-2010, 06:00 PM
FWIW, Hasheem has been dominating during his stint in the D-league.

Game 1- 18 points, 13 rebounds, 4 blocks in 31 min.

Game 2- 8 points, 10 rebounds, 3 blocks, 30 min.

Game 3- 16 points, 18 rebounds, 3 blocks, 39 min.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/index.jsp?player=hasheem_thabeet

At best, his being sent down to the D-league has been a wake up call for him and he now understands that he needs to take his NBA career seriously rather than be content with what he is- a terrible player making big bucks. At the very least, this stint has possibly kept his trade value out of the gutter for the time being.

mzgrizz
03-07-2010, 01:08 AM
Apparently his work ethic while here in Memphis sucked big time; plus he was spreading himself around too thin with the ladies; doubt he has that much opportunity for fun&games in North Dakota in the wintertime.At any rate, I hope he gets his head screwed back on straight after his demotion and shows some game; otherwise I hope they keep his *** in ND throughout the rest of next season,too.

Padres Son
03-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Surprised to hear he was slacking off in Memphis. I'm a big UConn fan and he seemed like a very hard working kid in college.

I'm just really surprised that people are already saying that he's a huge bust. The guy hasn't been playing basketball all that long. It was obvious even at UConn that his offensive game, footwork, and strength needed a lot of work.

When you guys drafted him, every "expert" was saying that it would probably take at least 2-3 years of learning and seasoning before he'd become a real contributor. Now, he gets off to a slow in his first season and everyone acts shocked?? I'm not surprised at all. I think it's a great thing for him to be down in the D-league. He needs minutes... not bench time.

It's obvious from his numbers in his first few D-league games that he can play. I hope they've got a good coach working with him there. I think there's still a good chance that Thabeet can develop into a top defensive center in the league in the next few years.

Don't give up on him yet.

drob33
03-07-2010, 10:43 PM
I think that the real criticism among Grizz fans was that this was not the right time for this franchise to take a flyer on a unanimous "project" with the number 2 pick. It was almost as obvious then, as it is now, that this team needs backcourt help or another long and athletic wing player.

There was never any public statement that said this was hedging in case Gasol leaves after next year. If that is the case, then maybe it's an acceptable risk, but it doesn't change the fact that Thabeet can't help this team now, the way an Evans, Curry, or even Jennings could have.

masalex1205
03-12-2010, 10:02 PM
I think an Evans/mayo backcourt would have worked

drob33
03-12-2010, 11:30 PM
I think an Evans/mayo backcourt would have worked

Me too! But hindsight is 20/20. I don't think there is any team in the league that would have drafted him #2, even with the buzz he had around the draft. I wasn't even saying that the Grizzlies should have drafted him, just that he would be a way better fit on the team in terms of what we need.

Padres Son
03-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Glad to see Thabeet's back on track. Looks like sending him to the d-league was the wake up call he needed.

Big Quett
03-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Glad to see Thabeet's back on track. Looks like sending him to the d-league was the wake up call he needed.

Last 4 games 8 points 8.5 rebounds, 2.5 blocks 64% shooting in a little over 24 mins a game. He is coming alone. The Marc injury might be a blessing in disguise.

ballpd05
03-24-2010, 03:47 PM
I think they drafted Thabeet because they didn't expect Gasol to be so good and they were planning around it (a guess since I don't watch too many grizzly games). Nothing wrong with quality big men, u never know when foul trouble or matchups can come into play.

drob33
03-24-2010, 09:26 PM
I think they drafted Thabeet because they didn't expect Gasol to be so good and they were planning around it (a guess since I don't watch too many grizzly games). Nothing wrong with quality big men, u never know when foul trouble or matchups can come into play.

I'm pretty sure they knew Gasol was good and that he was getting better. IMO, the move was made in case they can't resign him (he's unrestricted after next year). One way or the other, it was a pretty crappy pick.

Padres Son
03-25-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm pretty sure they knew Gasol was good and that he was getting better. IMO, the move was made in case they can't resign him (he's unrestricted after next year). One way or the other, it was a pretty crappy pick.

Ehh... hindsight is 20/20.

The only "sure thing" from that draft was Blake Griffin. If I was Memphis, I would have taken Tyreke Evans... I really, really liked him in college. But Evans would have been hard to fit into the lineup with Mayo and Gay... you'd have three guys essentially playing the same position.

Besides Evans, nobody else really made sense. Memphis needed a point guard, but the only PG's projected to be near the top of the draft had huge question marks... Nobody knew if Rubio would be willing/able to come to Memphis (he probably wouldn't have), Jennings would have been a risky pick at #2 because of his mediocre play in Italy, and Jonny Flynn was decent but would have been a big stretch to take at #2.

Thabeet really made the most sense at the time.

drob33
03-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Ehh... hindsight is 20/20.

The only "sure thing" from that draft was Blake Griffin. If I was Memphis, I would have taken Tyreke Evans... I really, really liked him in college. But Evans would have been hard to fit into the lineup with Mayo and Gay... you'd have three guys essentially playing the same position.

Besides Evans, nobody else really made sense. Memphis needed a point guard, but the only PG's projected to be near the top of the draft had huge question marks... Nobody knew if Rubio would be willing/able to come to Memphis (he probably wouldn't have), Jennings would have been a risky pick at #2 because of his mediocre play in Italy, and Jonny Flynn was decent but would have been a big stretch to take at #2.

Thabeet really made the most sense at the time.

I never liked the pick and posted it on here at the time, but you made some good points. I didn't think Tyreke would be this good this early, but he made more sense, as he played college ball in Memphis and that would have been huge for the fans also. If he was our Jamal Crawford, this team would be a lot better! I thought we should have taken Curry and tried to trade him to the Knicks.