PDA

View Full Version : Can players develop a killer instinct on the court over time?

JordansBulls
12-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Can players develop a killer instinct on the court over time or do they need it from the beginning?

I look at someone like Derrick Rose and he seems to be wayyyy too passive and I hope he can get a killer instinct over time. But do players get that instinct over time or do they have to already have it?

Thoughts!!!!

King P
12-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Killer Instinct isn't like talent, it can't be taught or learned. Either you have it or you don't.

69centers
12-07-2009, 01:42 PM
While there's always motivational issues that may arise and temporarily make someone play above their level, or with higher aggression (e.g. Bo Kimble after Hank Gathers died), that will usually come back down to normal. I would have to say that it's either there or it isn't, and it can't just be turned on and kept on later in your career.

Raoul Duke
12-07-2009, 02:09 PM
I think it can be honed, but it isn't something that players learn to have.

Rose is a bad example though. He has decent instincts, he's just on an unbalanced team and he's had some nagging injuries this season.

Wilson
12-07-2009, 03:24 PM
I think it can be coached :shrug: I think there are coaches smart enough to say to a guy "we need you to be aggresive in that situation", and players smart enough to listen...

Evolution23
12-07-2009, 03:35 PM
I say yes many players have developed that clutch factor after a couple of seasons in the NBA.. Look at Dirk, Lebron, and Kobe. In the begining of their carreers they were not the guys you thought could take over a game and also finish games in a last second shot, but now you can't deny them.

GspLAL
12-07-2009, 03:45 PM
The killer instinct is in your personality and personality is in your genes, can't be taught.

Lakersfan2483
12-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Can players develop a killer instinct on the court over time or do they need it from the beginning?

I look at someone like Derrick Rose and he seems to be wayyyy too passive and I hope he can get a killer instinct over time. But do players get that instinct over time or do they have to already have it?

Thoughts!!!!

No, I don't think it's something you can develop over time as it is part of someone's personality. You look at guys like Jordan, Kobe, Magic, Bird, etc... those guys are assasins on the court and always want to go for the jugular, so to speak....

Lakersfan2483
12-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Killer Instinct isn't like talent, it can't be taught or learned. Either you have it or you don't.

Yep.

Wilson
12-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Guys who have gone down as the most clutch ever have all had it in their personality but that doesn't mean every player has to be like that to perform late in the game.

Pau Gasol is the best example for me. Since coming to the Lakers he's become much more assertive at the end of games. Look at how scared he looked in the '08 Finals and how assertive he was in '09.

tr4shb0t
12-07-2009, 04:03 PM
I think it has something to do with how you are raised or genetics. No chance you can learn it.

zambo4president
12-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Instinct is within you dogg, your born with it. You don't develop instincts.

King P
12-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Honestly that is one thing that Kobe has that Lebron doesnt. Lebron is great, but he doesn't have that ruthless aggression. When Kobe steps on the court, he's out for blood.

$ NyC $
12-07-2009, 04:28 PM
nope. you can get more aggressive. But to take that ball with 2 seconds left down 2 and to make that dagger 3. You gotta be a killer.

kArSoN RyDaH
12-07-2009, 05:04 PM
it cant be taught. its natural.

tr4shb0t
12-07-2009, 05:47 PM
I found the article I remembered from a while back about killer instinct.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/chris_ballard/05/27/kobe0602/index.html

This thing, this freakish compulsion, may be the hardest element of the game to quantify. There are no plus-minus stats to measure a player's ruthlessness, his desire to beat his opponent so badly he'll need therapy to recover. One thing's for sure: You can't teach it.

Read how ruthless and competitive Kobe has been since a kid.

kArSoN RyDaH
12-07-2009, 07:23 PM
I found the article I remembered from a while back about killer instinct.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/chris_ballard/05/27/kobe0602/index.html

Read how ruthless and competitive Kobe has been since a kid.

damn good read. kobe is a beast. did u notice how he didnt even mention lebron in the top players who have this killer instinct? i wonder why...hmm. oh well kobe is god. =]

BkOriginalOne
12-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Carmelo Anthony.

JordansBulls
12-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Carmelo Anthony.

He has always had it.