PDA

View Full Version : Not sure where to post this, but..

Ryan328
12-06-2009, 07:32 PM
For a project in one of my classes, my group has to argue why college and high school students SHOULD NOT be punished for off the field trouble. My group has several reasons as to why not, but I am curious if anybody has anything they want to add to it. Thanks.

sofargone
12-06-2009, 07:38 PM
imo you should have done it the other way around, why they should be punished. i just watched coach carter, i think the main point that he made when locking out the team was that they are student athletes, meaning that they are students first and athletes second. so anything that occurs off the field ie, failing grades, suspension, would mean that they would be punished from the team too.

Ryan328
12-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Yeah I wish I had that side, but my professor assigned this topic to us and assigned my group the no side.

Bashna
12-06-2009, 08:06 PM
I personally would find statistics supporting the average intelligence (or IQ) levels of high school and college athletes, and go along the lines up (not exactly, but to summarize and be general)

-Not all college and high school athletes are fortunate enough to have the capable intelligence of others, and productively succeed in both academics, and athletics.

-Each person is separate from the others, and (to reiterate my first point) someone should not be punished because they're not capable in both aspects, one could be fortunate enough to be successful in athletics and academics, but some are possibly not as capable in academics as they are in athletics, and it is unfair to punish because of their biology/genes.

Personally, i disagree with the stance you were given, but i took debate classes in high school, and it's fairly easy to see both sides. If you research more into my point/idea you'll get better examples and statistics. I'd also suggest looking at community college athletes as they tend to be less-capable, obviously this is a fallacy in the statistics, but it is highly unlikely you're penalized for just the use of Community college statistics (i don't know if this is a debate or how the judging will go, just going off my experience) and it is a bit more difficult for them to rebut this because they won't have instant access to the opposing statistics, and their only legit rebuttle is to say "it could be different" and that is easily rebutted with "community college is more accessable to the public and is a much better sampling size for the general population, and the population of highschool to college athletes.

Good luck. I hope i helped/