PDA

View Full Version : New Award Proposal: Defensive Player of the Month

Chronz
12-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Give me one good reason why this isnt an NBA staple, and after youve failed to do so, tell me why the NBA isnt as smart as its fan base. Wouldnt this help solve the issue with nobody knowing who to vote for at the end of the year, resorting to meaningless stats and equally flawed reputations.

That said who were last months DPOM?

theuuord
12-06-2009, 03:52 PM
the only problem is that voters would likely end up resorting to meaningless stats and equally flawed reputations to choose the DPOM.

ko8e24
12-06-2009, 03:55 PM
because offense is flashy and showy and fun and defense "bores" viewers. that's david sterns take on the entertainment factor of the nba.

I like the idea Chronz, but theuuord is right in that they can choose someone on reputations or inflated stats (like spg, but they're not actual good defenders, just good situational roamers etc)

Raps18-19 Champ
12-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Sounds like a good idea.

Cash
12-06-2009, 04:26 PM
the only problem is that voters would likely end up resorting to meaningless stats and equally flawed reputations to choose the DPOM.

this.

GoatMilk
12-06-2009, 05:07 PM
it would never work

Chronz
12-06-2009, 05:14 PM

I think the added value of this award is that it gives voters something to focus on in spurts. Its hard to ask the voters at the end of the year which players stood out defensively, but if you break the job down into segments, suddenly the work load on your brain remembering who stood out isnt so heavy. I see a few articles about players having good defensive games, well if a player runs up a streak of good defensive praise he would be a contender for the DPOM.

But I really do wish more would incorporate advanced metrics into their votes.

Raph12
12-07-2009, 12:00 AM
Great defensive players should still receive recognition aside from DPOY and the All-NBA Defensive teams... I think it's a good idea.

With that being said, I'd say Gerald Wallace wins it for the East and Marcus Camby for the West. Honorable Mentions would be as follows: Greg Oden, Dwight Howard and Kendrick Perkins.

Lakersfan2483
12-07-2009, 02:15 AM
The NBA should definitely look into honoring defensive players for the month. Not enough credit is given to the players that bring it night in and night out. Some of the top defenders over the past month are the following guys: KG, D. Howard, G. Wallace, A. Bynum, Oden

GodsSon
12-07-2009, 02:42 AM
i'm down with the idea