PDA

View Full Version : Is Ben Sheets going to surprise us?

Joemoes
12-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Does anyone feel Sheets is laying low and after the Lackey bidding is over and Bay, Halladay he is gonna pop up outta nowhere to start some bidding to try to get at least 7 or 8million with incentives.

cantstopthee
12-05-2009, 02:12 PM
if he gets back to form and can stay healthy, thats a mega steal, one of the best in the game when healthy

waffles
12-05-2009, 02:15 PM
What do you mean by 'surprised?' I don't think anyone doubts his talent, and everyone and their mother wants to make him an incentive-based deal.. so.. I don't know.

Ian.
12-05-2009, 02:32 PM
What do you mean by 'surprised?' I don't think anyone doubts his talent, and everyone and their mother wants to make him an incentive-based deal.. so.. I don't know.

This.

Bronxbombers182
12-05-2009, 02:42 PM
You mean, we will be surprised he stays healthy. It wouldn't be a surprise if he pitches good. His problem is he can't stay on the field.

Havoc Wreaker
12-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Does anyone feel Sheets is laying low and after the Lackey bidding is over and Bay, Halladay he is gonna pop up outta nowhere to start some bidding to try to get at least 7 or 8million with incentives.

#1 - Halladay is not a free agent, Holliday is.

#2 - Bold part makes no sense, even if you had used the right name (Holliday).

MooseWithFleas
12-05-2009, 02:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzRH3iTQPrk

Baby Panda: Ben Sheets
Mama Panda: Every PSD user

Yes, we will all be shocked!

VRP723
12-05-2009, 02:57 PM
#1 - Halladay is not a free agent, Holliday is.

#2 - Bold part makes no sense, even if you had used the right name (Holliday).

The grammar policeman is back!!!!!

I was getting nervous

Havoc Wreaker
12-05-2009, 03:00 PM
The grammar policeman is back!!!!!

I was getting nervous
I never left. I was standing behind the billboard, waiting for someone to commit an infraction. :p

sofargone
12-05-2009, 03:24 PM
hes a good pitcher just injury prone...i dont think it would be much of a surprise if someone goes after the guy

infernoscurse
12-05-2009, 03:29 PM
what sheets could do is take a low salary 1 year deal to a team with a pitcher friendly park

put good numbers and then hit FA next year and get a massive contract

the problem with that approach is that next years FA pool is too good so teams wouldnt be overspending for him although tams will always overspend for good pitching

TO Rapz
12-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Does anyone have next years free agency crop and I d like my Toronto Blue Jays to trade HALLADAY and pick up Sheets.

infernoscurse
12-05-2009, 03:45 PM
a simple google does the trick but if no extensions are given the top crop would be halladay, cliff lee, beckett, webb , matt cain if they dont pick up his option, millwood, javy vazquez

Ron!n
12-05-2009, 04:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzRH3iTQPrk

Baby Panda: Ben Sheets
Mama Panda: Every PSD user

Yes, we will all be shocked!
Holy ****, thats awesome.

Fred
12-06-2009, 11:33 AM
a simple google does the trick but if no extensions are given the top crop would be halladay, cliff lee, beckett, webb , matt cain if they dont pick up his option, millwood, javy vazquez

here's hoping that he doesn't get the chance and the phils sign him to an extension...

Strike89
12-06-2009, 01:16 PM
When healthy he's great but that's a big if.

Someone's gonna take a chance on him and as long as he's pitching as the 4th or 5th starter to get readjusted he could be a steal.

CQSox305
12-06-2009, 01:48 PM
If he signs anywhere it will probably be the Rangers.

infernoscurse
12-06-2009, 02:25 PM
he would be dumb to do that IMO unless he gets a multi year

gfixer33
12-06-2009, 03:56 PM
I look for him to sign with rangers,mariners,or o's just my opinion.

koldjerky
12-06-2009, 11:10 PM
what sheets could do is take a low salary 1 year deal to a team with a pitcher friendly park

put good numbers and then hit FA next year and get a massive contract

the problem with that approach is that next years FA pool is too good so teams wouldnt be overspending for him although tams will always overspend for good pitching

he would be dumb to do that IMO unless he gets a multi year

I doubt he needs to be signed to a team with a pitcher friendly park. Milwaukee was not a pitcher park and he has pitched very well there after injuries. Maybe an NL team but not necessarily a pitcher friendly park.

Why would he need a multi-year deal with Texas? It may be hitters' paradise but he' been linked to them before and he's a top talent. What's better for his stock than coming back and dominating in Arlington? It's not like he's Randy Wolf and needs Dodger Stadium or Petco park to pitch well.

infernoscurse
12-06-2009, 11:13 PM
because that's just what i would do, i would work for getting the best long term contract i could get, if im coming back from injury and haven't thrown a pitch in the longest, haven't faced real batting in he longest i would sign in a pitcher friendly team, work my way back easily and cash in next off season

koldjerky
12-06-2009, 11:19 PM
because that's just what i would do, i would work for getting the best long term contract i could get, if im coming back from injury and haven't thrown a pitch in the longest, haven't faced real batting in he longest i would sign in a pitcher friendly team, work my way back easily and cash in next off season

Yeah, but in his case he has an extensive injury history. If the Padres are offering him a 1 year deal at 3mil+ and the Rangers come back with a 1 year 7 mil+ I think he takes the Rangers more due to the fact that I'd rather take a guaranteed 7 mil not knowing if I'd even make it through this season.

Simpson4Heisman
12-06-2009, 11:21 PM
I don't see many people just dumping money into sheets without most of that money being incentives. He may be waiting, but I don't think the interest is really there.

infernoscurse
12-06-2009, 11:21 PM
i agree, i would always go for the most money, but it doesn't necessary mean he needs to go to a petco, just not a yankee stadium or colorado or texas, im pretty sure hes going to get all kinds of contract offers

koldjerky
12-06-2009, 11:29 PM
I don't see many people just dumping money into sheets without most of that money being incentives. He may be waiting, but I don't think the interest is really there.

Believe me with his talent and being over a year to recover I wouldn't be surprised if every team in the majors offered him some sort of contract.

i agree, i would always go for the most money, but it doesn't necessary mean he needs to go to a petco, just not a yankee stadium or colorado or texas, im pretty sure hes going to get all kinds of contract offers

That's what it comes down to and it's exactly right. Him being able to recover longer than usual, his talent, and also with the type of low money high incentive type of deal he'll probably settle for there is no doubt in my mind he's going to get offered contract after contract by many teams.

BravesWin
12-07-2009, 03:17 AM
When you said will he suprise us, it would depend on how many games you think it would take for him to completely blow out his arm and pull a groin. So im guessin 2 starts, but that doesnt mean he won't be paid well while he recovers.