PDA

View Full Version : theres too many egos in the nba

Hellcrooner
12-05-2009, 01:22 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AkNqZDl1DKD3HL_QwGHHpSR0fNdF?slug=mc-afterthebuzzer120409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Hellcrooner
12-05-2009, 01:22 PM
if there were more players with this mentality the league woul be more interesting.

pd7631
12-05-2009, 01:26 PM
if there were more players with this mentality the league woul be more interesting.

that's probably not true

arkanian215
12-05-2009, 01:50 PM
egos = confidence. a player aint the same without it.

Kakaroach
12-05-2009, 01:55 PM
I could have told you that Crooner. And what Ark said, sometimes ego is important in being good. Whenever Deron Williams plays the Hornets, he dominates CP3 cuz his ego wants to prove all the haters wrong.

Chronz
12-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Im guessing this is a story of how Pau is so unnoticeable and shares a Duncan like quality for not wanting the attention?

It is what it is man, I saw one big headline in the article that read, Gasol didnt win a playoff game in Memphis, hes won a championship with LA. Think about that people, next time you want to bash a great player for not being able to win.

Hellcrooner
12-05-2009, 02:04 PM
ego is what deterrs players like iverson from being truly great .

Hellcrooner
12-05-2009, 02:10 PM
notice too kobe " pau is still underated".

i guess he knows what he talks bout

pd7631
12-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Im guessing this is a story of how Pau is so unnoticeable and shares a Duncan like quality for not wanting the attention?

It is what it is man, I saw one big headline in the article that read, Gasol didnt win a playoff game in Memphis, hes won a championship with LA. Think about that people, next time you want to bash a great player for not being able to win.

Thank you. The fact of the matter is that it has just as much to do with who you play with and WHO THE COACH IS? That's why Kobe wasn't able to do anything without Phil Jackson and a better supporting cast. That's why winning championships is one of the weaker arguments for how good a player is IMO. I know what people are gonna say to this, (you will bold my last statement and say "says the guy with the AI sig"), but it's true. Only 7 coaches in the last 22 years have won a championship.

Phil Jackson
Pat Riley
Greg Popovich
Larry Brown
Rudy Tomjanovic
Chuck Daly
and
Doc Rivers- he's the only "ok" coach of the last 22 years to win a championship, all the rest are HOF'ers.

pd7631
12-05-2009, 02:17 PM

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read. All great players have big egos. Did you see Michael Jordan's HOF speech? He said to his kids "I feel bad for you guys, because you have a lot to live up to." I don't know what is more apparent in your posts, your love for Pau Gasol, or your hate for Allen Iverson. Why do people go out of their way to hate on players, I just don't get it.

Allen Iverson is a ****ing HOF player, how can anyone say that he's not great. It's absolutely ridiculous, and I'm really getting tired of it. Get your head out of your ***, and look beyond the simple minded way of thinking that all it takes to win a championship is being unselfish and spending hours practicing. Does that stuff help? Yes. But it's a very small part of what it takes to win a championship. If it were that simple, Steve Nash would have multiple championships, but in fact he has not gotten as far as everybody's favorite NBA villian, Allen Iverson.

pd7631
12-05-2009, 02:18 PM
If you don't want to watch players with big egos, then don't watch the NBA.

Chaudhry
12-05-2009, 02:27 PM
well no international player really shows attitude... dirk just started the past few games and that barely too...

the way i look at it the NBA's purpose, like every sporting organization, is to entertain... lebron getting into a scuffle with joakim noah (because of their ego's probably) is more entertaining to the neutral fan then people putting it in the whole and running back to the defensive end...

so no... i don't think the nba would be more interesting if everyone had that mentality... but also wouldn't be interesting if everyone had an ego... need the mix that we've got...

bigsams50
12-05-2009, 02:30 PM

Iverson > Gasol

pd7631
12-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Lebron James probably has the biggest ego in the NBA today. The guy does everything he can to draw attention to himself, but you don't attack him. AI catches such a bad rap for the way he plays, but guess what, that's the way he plays and that's what has gotten him to 10 All Star games, an NBA Finals, 4 scoring titles, etc. But AI has never talked publicly about leaving a place. He always said that he never wanted to leave Philadelphia, and that he was playing for the team he wants to play for.

Lebron James could've easily put an end to all the 2010 talks a long time ago by just saying "I'm a Cleveland Cavalier, and I'm not gonna talk about 2010", but he has done everything possible to just let the talks linger on. Getting special New York shoes for games in MSG is not something AI has done or would ever do. Because despite your opinions of the guy, AI is not an attention whore like Lebron. He stays out of the public eye as much as possible, because he's just a down to earth guy.

Trust me, I'm not knocking Lebron's game, because he's easily the 1st or 2nd best player in the NBA. But for people to talk about AI like he's some sort of selfish, me me me person, is just flat out wrong.

I've really had enough of the misconceptions people have of Allen Iverson, because more often than not people are flat out wrong, and really know nothing about the guy. That's why the people of Philadelphia love him, because for 11 years we got to know who Allen Iverson is.

I don't care if you don't like AI's style of play, but to call him anything other than a great player is insulting to the game of basketball. I don't think any player that has ever played in the NBA would ever call Allen Iverson anything but a great player.

arkanian215
12-05-2009, 02:41 PM
iverson definitely wouldnt have been as effective if he didnt have that big ego.

Spurred1
12-05-2009, 02:44 PM
I see this as another Gasol love thread in disguise. Sorry,HC. Your devotion is commendable, but taxing.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-05-2009, 02:46 PM
The NBA would be boring without egos.

JasonJohnHorn
12-05-2009, 02:48 PM
AI catches such a bad rap for the way he plays, but guess what, that's the way he plays and that's what has gotten him to 10 All Star games, an NBA Finals, 4 scoring titles, etc.

Yeah, all that an no rings.

As for never publically demanding out of anywhere, he has on more than on occassion publically blasted organizations and disrupted team chemistry. Confidence is fine, even a little ego, but basketball is a team sport. Like Gasol said, he knows what he can do for his team and what he can't and does what the team needs. Is Iverson the best 6-foot scorer the league has ever seen? Sure. Does his size make him a liability on defence? YES! Bottom line is Iverson doesn't know his role. He was fantastic before and he's great now, but even when he was at his best he couldn't win it all.

ink
12-05-2009, 02:51 PM
btw, here's Gasol's whole quote:

“There are too many egos in this league,” Gasol said. “There are guys that think they are too good or this and that. When it comes down to it, it’s a matter of winning and what you can do to help your team win. That’s what it’s all about. If they recognize it, great. But if they don’t recognize it because they don’t see it, if they are more attracted to the flashiness of all the players, that’s fine, too.

“I’m aware of what I can do and what I do for my team. That’s what really counts.”

Kakaroach
12-05-2009, 02:53 PM
I think what everyone doesn't realize is AI wouldn't have been great if he didn't have his ego.

ink
12-05-2009, 02:54 PM
The thread is about Gasol. Can we get back on topic? We have enough Iverson threads.

pd7631
12-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Yeah, all that an no rings.

As for never publically demanding out of anywhere, he has on more than on occassion publically blasted organizations and disrupted team chemistry. Confidence is fine, even a little ego, but basketball is a team sport. Like Gasol said, he knows what he can do for his team and what he can't and does what the team needs. Is Iverson the best 6-foot scorer the league has ever seen? Sure. Does his size make him a liability on defence? YES! Bottom line is Iverson doesn't know his role. He was fantastic before and he's great now, but even when he was at his best he couldn't win it all.

way to skip over everything else i said:rolleyes:

And Gasol is a role player(allbeit a great one), Kobe is the one with the big ego on that team. What did Gasol accomplish as "the man"? Not very much, huh. It's about more than being an unselfish player, why can't people get that? AI does know his role, his role is to be the primary scorer for a team. That got the Sixers to the finals. Gasol's role is to play with the best player in the game and assist him in winning a championship....along with Lamar Odom, and arguably the best coach in the history of the game.

The hate for AI is hilarious, because all that it boils down to is not liking the way he plays, and not liking him because he has a "thug" image.

Seriously, the only thing people ever say is "I don't like him because he doesn't play team basketball" or "He's never adjusted his game".....why the **** should he adjust his game?!?! His game, is what made him a HOF'er.

AI has accomplished so much, and gotten farther than so many players in the NBA, yet nobody wants to give him any credit.

ink
12-05-2009, 02:55 PM
The article will be re-posted and the thread closed if we don't get back on topic.

Gasol. And his quote.

Hellcrooner
12-05-2009, 02:56 PM
i used iverson as an example but could have said arenas or whatever.

and the word ego is not as in how they see themselves of course ALL the players have big egos because that drive is what makes them good

BUT what he is talkn bout is to be able to NOT LET Your ego get in your way to wining,

thats what Duncan does, thats what Gasol does, thats what Magic did, thats waht kareem did, or Larry thats what Phil TEACHED to MJ and led him to success thats what Phil has TEACHED kobe.

JasonJohnHorn
12-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Gasol: "There are too many egos in this league. There are guys that think they are too good or this and that. When it comes down to it, it’s a matter of winning and what you can do to help your team win. That’s what it’s all about. If they recognize it, great. But if they don’t recognize it because they don’t see it, if they are more attracted to the flashiness of all the players, that’s fine, too."

This is exactly what players mind sets should be if their goal is winning. There are guys like McGrady and Iverson who throughout their careers have made it clear that they are more concerned with "being the man" than winning while players like Duncan and Gasol and Ben Wallace and Chauncy Billups have been more concerned with winning than with whose dominating the ball. Sometimes that doesn't lead to a championship (McDysse for example is a team player who hasn't won a ring yet), but usually the guys who have a team mentality do very well for their teams. If a guy wants to get the big contract and stuff the stats and play in the dunk contest and get endorsements, maybe that works for some guys, but those guys shouldn't be surprised is they don't win a ring. Sometimes guys like Stockton and Malone don't win a title, but guys like Dominique Wilkins and McGrady have a hard time even getting in to the conference finals let alone the NBA finals.

Basketball is a team game and no one player can do it all. Every HOFer that has a ring needed to depend on their teammates to do it.

GodsSon
12-05-2009, 02:59 PM
there are too many egos, but you need to be borderline cocky to be good

runforrestrunx9
12-05-2009, 03:10 PM

how can u say iverson was never truly great?? did u watch him with the sixers back in the day??

runforrestrunx9
12-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Iverson > Gasol

iverson > everybody else about 5 years a ago

pd7631
12-05-2009, 03:14 PM
It's easy for Gasol to say how easy it is to win a championship by just doing what he can to help his team win when he doesn't have to do all that much considering he's playing with Kobe. Let Allen Iverson play with an All Star big man like Gasol or Shaq in their prime with a HOF coach like Phil Jackson and see how he does. He got to the Finals with a bunch of stiffs and 35 year old Dikembe Mutombo. But I guess he's not a winner. Nobody wants to bash Steve Nash, even though he can't get to the Finals with players like Amare, Marion, Joe Johnson, etc..

Hellcrooner
12-05-2009, 03:20 PM
once again i didnt bash iverson and used him as an example of a bad attitude and a me first personality.

go check grizzlies record since he is gone, that must mean something.

and no the thread is nto about pau is about egoes.

ink
12-05-2009, 03:25 PM
I have re-posted the article in another thread in its entirety. If this fight continues in that thread infractions will be handed out.