PDA

View Full Version : Synergy Stats sheds light on Player Misconceptions

Chronz
12-05-2009, 03:14 AM
http://www.blazersedge.com/2009/12/4/1182582/synergy-sports-the-blazers

Odens D was getting too much pub it seems, and his O is underrated. LeMarcus/Pryzbilla are the driving force behind Portlands defensive efficiency.

Raph12
12-05-2009, 12:48 PM
I said this before, Greg Oden leads the NBA in personal fouls, and that in only 24.9mpg, hardly the DPOY type stats.

jetsfan28
12-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Depends on how you look at he stats. Oden is amazing in the post, a great defensive rebounder (that is part of defense), so you could say that they simply need to do a better job not putting him on guys who are as good at facing up. They also don't look at his team defense as much. And Roy is obviously less efficient, but the aspect one stats still can't measure is the fact that teams expect him to shoot, which is part of why he is a less efficient shooter, and part of why his teammates are more efficient.

Don't get me wrong, I love stats, and find what synergy is doing to be brilliant, but they're still far, far from perfect, and in the NBA sometimes what we see on tape is as meaningful as the stats because of this.

Chronz
12-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Depends on how you look at he stats. Oden is amazing in the post, a great defensive rebounder (that is part of defense), so you could say that they simply need to do a better job not putting him on guys who are as good at facing up. They also don't look at his team defense as much. And Roy is obviously less efficient, but the aspect one stats still can't measure is the fact that teams expect him to shoot, which is part of why he is a less efficient shooter, and part of why his teammates are more efficient.

Don't get me wrong, I love stats, and find what synergy is doing to be brilliant, but they're still far, far from perfect, and in the NBA sometimes what we see on tape is as meaningful as the stats because of this.

Heres the thing though, what Oden is good at defensively is only being applied about 1 in every 5 of his personal defensive plays and its not like the Blazers have different defensive schemes for him and Pryzbilla, yet one is significantly better at other aspects of defense.

I agree with you on the Roy aspect, I think theres something else going on with him right now besides wanting the ball or needing to shoot more off the ball. That said, teams expected him to shoot last year, so why is that a reason hes less efficient?

And the what we see on tape response doesnt really fly because this is the tape, this is game tape broken down to its fullest. I think you underestimate just how possession specific these stats get, last I remember with synergy you could isolate position specific matchups as well, and that was 3-4 years ago. I can only imagine what theyve amassed since then.

If these stats are far from perfect then I cant even imagine how inaccurate the average NBA opinion is. We'll pretty much never know anything about the game if this is far from perfect. So I disagree but good response, I just wanted to throw what it is these teams look at out there.

Chronz
12-05-2009, 02:14 PM
I said this before, Greg Oden leads the NBA in personal fouls, and that in only 24.9mpg, hardly the DPOY type stats.
Yea but hes still been a good defender imo, these stats are just saying that Pryzbilla and LMA have been better, and to be honest Ive always liked LMA's defense, I see alot of a young KG in him minus the rebounding, Oden compliments him very well in the long run. But yea its practically impossible to have that kind of DPOY impact if your watching from the bench half the game.

So it HAD to be coming from elsewhere. I think these stats just marked down who they are. Which is pretty impressive considering how hard defense is to quantify. Why is it that we never saw anyone make a thread to praise Pryzbilla/LMA defense? Yet Ive seen so many dubious Oden DPOY claims?

SteveNash
12-05-2009, 10:52 PM
Yea but hes still been a good defender imo, these stats are just saying that Pryzbilla and LMA have been better, and to be honest Ive always liked LMA's defense, I see alot of a young KG in him minus the rebounding, Oden compliments him very well in the long run. But yea its practically impossible to have that kind of DPOY impact if your watching from the bench half the game.

So it HAD to be coming from elsewhere. I think these stats just marked down who they are. Which is pretty impressive considering how hard defense is to quantify. Why is it that we never saw anyone make a thread to praise Pryzbilla/LMA defense? Yet Ive seen so many dubious Oden DPOY claims?

You have to remember Chronz that it's still only been 20 games. I mostly agree with everything said about Oden (underrated offensive player, good post defender, weak perimeter defender) I don't see the 53%/47% holding up on anyone let alone Oden.

And as for Aldridge, he may have improved, haven't seen it with the few games I've watched, but no way in hell do opponents to continue shooting 36% against him.

ChiSox219
12-05-2009, 11:09 PM
You have to remember Chronz that it's still only been 20 games. I mostly agree with everything said about Oden (underrated offensive player, good post defender, weak perimeter defender) I don't see the 53%/47% holding up on anyone let alone Oden.

And as for Aldridge, he may have improved, haven't seen it with the few games I've watched, but no way in hell do opponents to continue shooting 36% against him.

I agree with all of this. I was surprised to see how well Aldridge has done but like you said, it's only been 20 games.