PDA

View Full Version : Free throws

magicdouglas
12-04-2009, 07:19 PM
When a player struggles with free throws (Shaq, D12 etc) why don't they ever use the glass? When we were kids playing for the summer YMCA league the coach always had us aim for the box on F/T and if we hit it, it usually went in. Why don't the pros ever use the glass on F/T? Are they afraid they would look like pusssies? And if so, who cares. If would bring your % up why not. Or is it against the rules?

BlondeBomber41
12-04-2009, 07:34 PM
When a player struggles with free throws (Shaq, D12 etc) why don't they ever use the glass? When we were kids playing for the summer YMCA league the coach always had us aim for the box on F/T and if we hit it, it usually went in. Why don't the pros ever use the glass on F/T? Are they afraid they would look like pusssies? And if so, who cares. If would bring your % up why not. Or is it against the rules?

Why would it be against the rules? :facepalm:

They dont do it because honestly its probably harder than just making it. I know if I go to the gym and shoot FT's I can probably hit about 70% of them but when you try to use the class that percentage drops big time.

arkanian215
12-04-2009, 07:35 PM
too much pride. to them it's just a free throw not worth wasting your rep for. when the game is on the line they might do it.

omri casspi is the first player ive ever seen who can stroke it from outside but still not hit his freethrows. it just baffles me.

AntwanN21
12-04-2009, 07:38 PM
I agree it is probobly easier to get it straight in the rim then having to aim for the backboard. Plus then you have to worry about over powerin it, not hitting the right part of the glass etc.

J4KOP99
12-04-2009, 07:39 PM
They want to look regular. Typical ego stuff.

What they should do is shoot underhand. Rick Barry style.

MoBASS
12-04-2009, 08:56 PM
If shaq really wanted to make his free throws he would shoot them underhand. I guarantee you he would shoot them better. But he even said he has too much "pride" to shoot them underhand. Shows you how much he wants to win. What an idiot.

bigsams50
12-04-2009, 08:58 PM
If i was them, i'd granny shot it

Raph12
12-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Idk, it would be harder to do I'd think, I mean I've always been a great FT shooter so going for the board on my FTs would sort of throw me off. But I guess guys like Dwight, Shaq, Ben, etc... have nothing to lose beside pride, so why not give it a go?

Kakaroach
12-05-2009, 01:03 AM
They want to look regular. Typical ego stuff.

What they should do is shoot underhand. Rick Barry style. Exactly. Dwight, Shaq, and Big Ben could be sooo much better but they have too much pride to shoot granny style at the FT line. Could win them some games. :shrug:

BlondeBomber41
12-05-2009, 01:25 AM
Idk why you guys assume they would do any better shooting granny shot FT's. You have more control when you shoot it regularly. Shaq and Dwight Howard are no Rick Barry.

Kakaroach
12-05-2009, 01:28 AM
When you have hands as big as they do, you have so much more control shooting granny style. Thats part of the reason they struggle with free throws.

magicdouglas
12-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Exactly. Dwight, Shaq, and Big Ben could be sooo much better but they have too much pride to shoot granny style at the FT line. Could win them some games. :shrug:

Would definitely get them on sports center. If it worked you'd see more players doing it.

3ballbomber
12-05-2009, 10:17 AM
When a player struggles with free throws (Shaq, D12 etc) why don't they ever use the glass?
lmfao