PDA

View Full Version : Can Greg Oden Win DPOY & MIP This Season?

Fresno
12-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Im not sure if that has ever been done but the way hes been playing you have to think hes on pace to do so. Hes 2nd in the league in blocks although hes playing limited minutes this season, as we get down the Playoff stretch I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing him string together nothing but 4 Block games.

In terms of MIP, I really don't think its close unless they give it to Bynum for being a Laker or give it to Kaman, although hes 27.

ko8e24
12-04-2009, 05:06 PM
lol, how can you give most improved player to a guy who was a #1 overall draft pick and was expected to reach this level that he is playing at currently (AT THE MINIMUM)
??

Gotta admit, that pretty comical

ChiSox219
12-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Oden is not the DPOY

He's still got a long way to go to win that.

Most improved, ehh, his per minute production really hasn't increased all that much.

Fresno
12-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Oh & btw when he learns how to stay out of foul trouble and not contest every shot, he will be an absolute monster. Hes putting up 9 boards and 2.5 blocks in only about 25 MPG.

Fresno
12-04-2009, 05:12 PM
lol, how can you give most improved player to a guy who was a #1 overall draft pick and was expected to reach this level that he is playing at currently (AT THE MINIMUM)
??

Because he made the biggest jump as a player from then to what he is now.

Most Improved Player.

uptown0364
12-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Joakim Noah is more improved than Oden. Most improved usually goes to a guy who worked on inconsistent parts of his game, not someone who just stays healthy.

arkanian215
12-04-2009, 05:21 PM
??

lol if he's the most improved doesnt he deserve the MIP?

Sadds The Gr8
12-04-2009, 05:22 PM
he's definately not winning DPoY, and most improved is going to Bynum, Kaman (like you said) or Marc Gasol...and if the nets ca actually win a decent amount of games, CDR will be a good candidate too.

Sadds The Gr8
12-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Joakim Noah is more improved than Oden. Most improved usually goes to a guy who worked on inconsistent parts of his game, not someone who just stays healthy.

forgot about Noah on my list, and true...if Oden was healthy those woulda been his #s last year too...

arkanian215
12-04-2009, 05:23 PM
i think cdr's stats improved more than noahs but that's just my opinion. http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4502

GoatMilk
12-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Josh Smith is DPOY

uptown0364
12-04-2009, 05:31 PM
i think cdr's stats improved more than noahs but that's just my opinion. http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4502

CDR is right up there too. It's a tough argument to make this early. CDR is playing almost triple the minutes he played last year and Joakim is playing an additional 10. So it's hard to say if they would have put up similar numbers given the same playing time last year.

$KnicksAndKobe$
12-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Sophmores shouldn't be eligible to win the MIP award. There expected to be improved.

bigsams50
12-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Sophmores shouldn't be eligible to win the MIP award. There expected to be improved.

^ This

And you cant be MIP or Dpoy when you average over 4 fouls a game

JasonJohnHorn
12-04-2009, 05:46 PM
No!!!!

GoatMilk
12-04-2009, 06:19 PM

Monta Ellis disagrees

GeneWaldron#5
12-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Would have to agree that sophomores shouldn't be considered for MIP unless it is an extreme case. Even so, I think there are others that are ahead of him so far this season. He is having a much more impressive season though. His offence is coming along and his D has stepped up a few notches. He is showing signs of becoming that defensive beast all Blazer fans hoped he would. He wont be DPOY this year but he will definitely be in the discussion in the next couple of years and I would be shocked if he doesn't win it at some point in his career.

The guy who everyone was writing off as a bust has a good shot at being in the top 5 for fg%, blocks and rebounds along with double digit scoring despite only averaging about 25 mpg at the minute. This in his second season and after a career threatening injury a couple of years ago. As a Blazer fan I'm delighted with his progress this year. If he can cut down the fouls a touch and stay injury free he will be a huge force in the league for years to come.

MJ-BULLS
12-04-2009, 06:56 PM
i dont think he will win neither, noah will win MIP

arkanian215
12-04-2009, 07:02 PM
yeah that's definitely true. i wonder how they actually judge these players. do they go by stats? do they go by what they see out there? do they pace/minute adjust those stats?

CDR:D

Sadds The Gr8
12-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Monta Ellis disagrees

Well Monta is a 2nd rounder...

Ray_R
12-04-2009, 10:11 PM
i dont think he will win neither, noah will win MIP

:hi5:

Kakaroach
12-04-2009, 10:19 PM
I don't think he can win both, but he could make a case for DPOY, too many candidates for MIP better than Oden.

Raph12
12-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Im not sure if that has ever been done but the way hes been playing you have to think hes on pace to do so. Hes 2nd in the league in blocks although hes playing limited minutes this season, as we get down the Playoff stretch I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing him string together nothing but 4 Block games.

In terms of MIP, I really don't think its close unless they give it to Bynum for being a Laker or give it to Kaman, although hes 27.

DPOY for a guy leading the NBA in fouls? and that despite having limited playing time (24.9mpg)... I don't think so...

The award will likely go to Dwight Howard or Gerald Wallace.

Oden did get better in almost every aspect of his game, but the difference between both seasons is not drastic. MIP goes to a player who has made great strides from one season to another.

It will likely go to Roy Hibbert, Aaron Brooks, Chris Kaman or Danilo Gallinari