PDA

View Full Version : Why do fans/media LOVE turning players into endurers

Chronz
12-04-2009, 02:46 PM
You hear it all the damn time, so and so is finally getting "IT". Any time the Lakers were doing good it was because Kobe was trusting his teammates, whenever they were doing bad, it was Kobe NEEDS to trust his teammates. In a span of 6 years I dont think Ive ever seen a player flip flop so many times between both more than Kobe.

Even the Legends get caught up in it, Magic said it about MJ and he said it about Kobe. The absolute worst case had to be Marbury, back in his loser Net/Early Suns days he was usually looked at in a negative light, I know I know, he still is. But there was a brief moment in time where people were actually starting the "Hes got his head on right" now talk. No surprise it came when the Suns were back in the playoff mix and pushing the eventual champs to the limit.

The shining moment? When the media started telling Marbury about the articles and asking him what hes doing differently now. Im not sure of the exact words but they were something along the lines of "NOTHING, my teammates are just better".

THATS IT, THANK YOU MARBURY

Thats not to say its never happens, but I think people get too caught up in that talk, choosing not to focus on what truly decides games, the teams level of talent and performance.

Kobe knows how to win, and has ALWAYS known how to win. Him not trusting his teammates got the Lakers into the playoffs, and most definitely did not hold his team back. So why is it that people like to make it seem like he underwent some historical transformation that all great players must go through. Whats with this enduring and learning bs, BASKETBALL IS A GAME WHERE YOU PUT A BALL THROUGH A HOOP. It doesnt take a genius to figure out who you can trust to help you accomplish that goal.

ChiSox219
12-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Kobe demanded a trade, so I'm going to say at some point after that he got "it".

Mr. Fluffi
12-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Kobe demanded a trade, so I'm going to say at some point after that he got "it".

And by "it" you mean Pau Gasol?

Double_R
12-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Kobe has always had "it", it's all about having good talent around him...Of course he is going to take more shots when his options are Brian Cook, Kwame Brown, Smush Parker, oh yea and Chris Mihm, that is why Kobe's team wasnt as good, nothing to do with trusting teammates...Would you trust them.. Look at his team now that is the difference, it's not Kobe, it's Kupchek

sp1derm00
12-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Well, it's kinda strange.

KG was the other way around.

Before Boston, KG was viewed in such a positive light ALL the time. You never heard anything negative about him. The moment he won a championship, everyone is on his back about picking on smaller players, which he has done for years and never been called out on.

Same player, same tendencies... different view.

I guess this goes the same for Kobe, because even in the Shaq/Kobe era, Kobe knew when Shaq was hot and was alright deferring to Shaq to win. Kobe is even alright in passing up glory for the best chance at winning (Blazers - oop to Shaq). He just wants to win, always has, and now that he has talent, he is viewed in a different light just because he has more to work with?

Again, same player, same tendencies... different view.

So there are two ways to spin it, and either way, the media is just manipulating us to get us to read their stuff.

They even turned on Lebron ever so slightly when he refused to shake hands with the Magic... it lasted for like a week or two. We're talking about LEBRON, and yes, even ESPN badmouthed him!!!!!!!! Then they returned to Lebron nutsackriding.

superkegger
12-04-2009, 06:17 PM
You hear it all the damn time, so and so is finally getting "IT". Any time the Lakers were doing good it was because Kobe was trusting his teammates, whenever they were doing bad, it was Kobe NEEDS to trust his teammates. In a span of 6 years I dont think Ive ever seen a player flip flop so many times between both more than Kobe.

Even the Legends get caught up in it, Magic said it about MJ and he said it about Kobe. The absolute worst case had to be Marbury, back in his loser Net/Early Suns days he was usually looked at in a negative light, I know I know, he still is. But there was a brief moment in time where people were actually starting the "Hes got his head on right" now talk. No surprise it came when the Suns were back in the playoff mix and pushing the eventual champs to the limit.

The shining moment? When the media started telling Marbury about the articles and asking him what hes doing differently now. Im not sure of the exact words but they were something along the lines of "NOTHING, my teammates are just better".

THATS IT, THANK YOU MARBURY

Thats not to say its never happens, but I think people get too caught up in that talk, choosing not to focus on what truly decides games, the teams level of talent and performance.

Kobe knows how to win, and has ALWAYS known how to win. Him not trusting his teammates got the Lakers into the playoffs, and most definitely did not hold his team back. So why is it that people like to make it seem like he underwent some historical transformation that all great players must go through. Whats with this enduring and learning bs, BASKETBALL IS A GAME WHERE YOU PUT A BALL THROUGH A HOOP. It doesnt take a genius to figure out who you can trust to help you accomplish that goal.

Agreed.

Although Kobe's a bit different. He's an arrogant ****, and he's not that guy everyone in the locker that everyone loves. That's just not who he is. Like you said, he knows how to win, and that's what he wants to do, win.

And as you layed out, him "getting it" is basically complete horse dung. He just got better talent to work with. And when you win, the media wants some feel good fuzzy **** to write about. So they talk about his transformation as a person and a player. Which Kobe is fine with, since he needs all the positive PR he can get since he's so calculated and fake in that regard.

Chronz
12-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Yea to me it was like they were trying to feed us this fairy tale story about Kobes game undergoing some miraculous transformation. Its not just him though, its this entire concept of someones career having more importance than ones level of play.

Raoul Duke
12-04-2009, 07:20 PM
I think Kobe has gotten a little older and a little wiser. Most of the true great ones eventually do reach a point where they realize that they're about as good as they're going to get physically, and the rest of their improvement has to be mental and psychological. Y'know, they have to keep learning the game and continue to develop their game, etc etc. And Kobe has done that.

But yeah, he gets the credit for the wrong reason. His team is great again because they aquired an awful lot of talented players, not because Kobe trusts those players.

superkegger
12-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Yea to me it was like they were trying to feed us this fairy tale story about Kobes game undergoing some miraculous transformation. Its not just him though, its this entire concept of someones career having more importance than ones level of play.

That's because in-depth and real analysis of games doesn't make for exciting TV. Puting together a montage of Kobe highlights that are meaningless, and saying "Look, he trusts his teammates, he wouldn't have made that pass 3 years ago" is going to get better ratings. And quite frankly, it's a lot easier to do if you're an ESPN monkey.

kArSoN RyDaH
12-05-2009, 07:26 AM
if i recall right i believe the media started bashing kobe when he was ACCUSED of raping that white chikk. thats wen it all fell down for kobe and i believe the turnin point for him, in terms or PR with the media, is when he got pau as a teammate and won mvp.

Raph12
12-05-2009, 12:46 PM
I called it a long time ago, Kobe needs an allstar big man down low in order to have any legitimate success.

To me, "it" doesn't exist.

Jamiecballer
12-05-2009, 02:51 PM

you are complicating a very simple concept. a simple shift in mindset is not a historical transformation, but it does make a difference between result A and result B.

ink
12-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Chicken or egg Chronz. You can see it your way and others can see it theirs. In this case it really doesn't matter. The fact is that Kobe did go through some huge personal issues post 2004 and he has evolved whether you want to mock that or not. Kobe developed as a person and as a player. That's a credit to him.

bbblack40
12-05-2009, 03:35 PM
I completely agree with the fact "it " is just havin better talent around u because the same kobe went through when shaq left the lakers wade is now goin through he has inferior talent than the elite teams so now the media bashes him and his play. simple fact is if u have better talent u have no problem hittin the open man because u actual think there's a chance of them doin something productive. lakers had Kwame brown the heat now have joel anthony, wade is doin the exact same thing he did when the heat were elite but the talent of his team has dropped.