PDA

View Full Version : League Officials: Andre Miller could soon be available (Dec 15)

Highlight
12-04-2009, 03:17 AM
Since Travis Outlaw has been lost for four to five months with foot surgery, GM Kevin Pritchard has been working the phones for an athletic forward as a replacement.

That isnít much of a surprise, but this is: In conversations with Portlandís front office and coaching staffs, several league officials believe Andre Miller could soon be available. As a free-agent signee over the summer, Miller canít be traded until Dec. 15.

After missing out on several preferred free agents, Pritchard settled for Miller and signed him to a three-year, $21 million contract, the first two years of which are guaranteed. Yet, Blazers coaches have privately insisted to confidants throughout the league that Miller isnít working out, and the belief is that Pritchard is testing the market on Millerís worth. Portland could stay with Steve Blake(notes) or use Miller to bring back another playmaker.

Sources say that Brandon Roy clearly prefers playing with Blake over Miller, and thatís an issue that Pritchard must contend with.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-tradebuzz120309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

ko8e24
12-04-2009, 03:20 AM
dang Highlight, u finding all the kool rumors

Highlight
12-04-2009, 03:21 AM
dang Highlight, u finding all the kool rumors

What can I say.... I'm on a roll.... haha

Nah, but all of these "rumors" were in the same article. Thought I would post them all separately, so people could post about which player would be useful to their team.

BlondeBomber41
12-04-2009, 03:26 AM
The Portland front office runs their team like I run my front office on NBA Live.

If you dont sign the FA you want, you sign the best FA available, even if he doesn't fit your team so that you can later trade him for something that does help your team.

Highlight
12-04-2009, 03:30 AM
The Portland front office runs their team like I run my front office on NBA Live.

If you dont sign the FA you want, you sign the best FA available, even if he doesn't fit your team so that you can later trade him for something that does help your team.

Haha, sounds just like that.

Most people who really thought about this signing, knew this wouldn't end up working out. They needed a PG who could dish the ball out and shoot. Miller is a PG that needs the ball in his hands and Roy cannot operate like that.

That's why he likes playing with Blake better because Blake just spots up when Roy has the ball.

ChiSox219
12-04-2009, 03:49 AM

Also consider that the Blazers had cap space this year that they won't have in 2010 because they gave extensions to Roy and Aldridge, so it was either use the cap space or lose it.

BlondeBomber41
12-04-2009, 03:53 AM
Also consider that the Blazers had cap space this year that they won't have in 2010 because they gave extensions to Roy and Aldridge, so it was either use the cap space or lose it.

Yeah definently, thats what you do in the game also. I like to draft a bunch of guys still on their rookie contract but really good like Durant, Lopez etc then spend a boatload in FA before I gotta resign them all.

ChiSox219
12-04-2009, 03:59 AM
Yeah definently, thats what you do in the game also. I like to draft a bunch of guys still on their rookie contract but really good like Durant, Lopez etc then spend a boatload in FA before I gotta resign them all.

LOL, loaded team I bet.

Back in NBA 2k7 if you did a fantasy draft players contracts were re-assigned, so if you took a guy normally on a rookie contract that was really good, his contract would balloon in a fantasy draft to the maximum.

BlondeBomber41
12-04-2009, 04:08 AM
LOL, loaded team I bet.

Back in NBA 2k7 if you did a fantasy draft players contracts were re-assigned, so if you took a guy normally on a rookie contract that was really good, his contract would balloon in a fantasy draft to the maximum.

Yeah I remember that, it sucked. I stick to NBA Live these days though.

Lizard King
12-04-2009, 04:18 AM
I'd trade Hinrich for Miller + fillers.

BlondeBomber41
12-04-2009, 04:25 AM

Why? :confused:

GodsSon
12-04-2009, 04:44 AM
Calderon for Miller

Elliot.Cowan
12-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Miller for Tayshaun

BlondeBomber41
12-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Miller for Tayshaun

You must be a Blazers fan.

Kakaroach
12-04-2009, 07:34 PM
ZOMGyoucanttradeaUTAHUTE But seriously, I knew the second they signed him he didn't fit their style of play. He bricks every shot unless he's in the paint, whereas they need jump shooters like Blake around Roy.

kntresistheheat
12-04-2009, 07:43 PM

There looking for an athletic foward:facepalm:

Derick713
12-04-2009, 08:00 PM
They best SF is McGrady. The Blazers don't have the salaries to match-up in a deal. They already have Batum, Webster, Outlaw, and etc. They need a forward with an expiring contract.

PhyscoT007
12-04-2009, 08:10 PM
They wont get much for Andre, the Sixers tried really hard to trade him but everybody was giving Stafanski crap offers, why would that change now?

Giants27
12-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Wouldnt mind seeing Miller as a Laker.

Bulls_fan90
12-04-2009, 08:34 PM
There looking for an athletic foward:facepalm:

You fail :facepalm:. Just because the rumour says they only want an athletic forward dosent mean that all other players are off the table. Blazers have been after Kirk for ages. As a bulls fan no way i trade Kirk in that deal.

69centers
12-05-2009, 05:03 AM
They best SF is McGrady. The Blazers don't have the salaries to match-up in a deal. They already have Batum, Webster, Outlaw, and etc. They need a forward with an expiring contract.

Brian Scalabrine? He would come in handy during their Spurs games, as he matches up well with Matt Bonner. :D

Highlight
12-05-2009, 05:08 AM

He would have the same issues in LA as he does in Portland.

Miller seems to need the ball in his hands to be effective. Even if he learns to play better without the ball, he doesn't have much of a jumper, and in the triangle, you need to be able to shoot.

He's a good point guard that could help some teams out, but LA is not one of them.

kblo247
12-05-2009, 05:45 AM
Andre Miller is best suited to play for the Miami Heat and they have the piece to trade for him in James Jones since he already knows the offense and what Nate needs.

Jones doesn't fit in Miami but would in Portland, and Miller would be Wade's Fisher or Snow and put Chalmers on the bench to be the Heat's spark.

kntresistheheat
12-05-2009, 11:04 AM
You fail :facepalm:. Just because the rumour says they only want an athletic forward dosent mean that all other players are off the table. Blazers have been after Kirk for ages. As a bulls fan no way i trade Kirk in that deal.

No you fail- It states that because aldridge is out for about a month or so and roy all ready said that he likes when blake is on the floor with him.:rolleyes: And yes we all know that the blazers has been after kirk for a while now;)

HoopsDrive
12-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Brian Scalabrine? He would come in handy during their Spurs games, as he matches up well with Matt Bonner. :D

LOL that's the greatest matchup of players I've ever seen :rolleyes:

KnickVeteran
12-05-2009, 05:05 PM
I'm sorry, if this is true, Brandon Roy got this totally wrong. Andre Miller can do a hell of a lot for that team more than Steven Blake can.

GeneWaldron#5
12-05-2009, 06:54 PM
No you fail- It states that because aldridge is out for about a month or so and roy all ready said that he likes when blake is on the floor with him.:rolleyes: And yes we all know that the blazers has been after kirk for a while now;)

Blazers are apparentley looking for an athletic forward but if we were offered some sort of Hinrich for Miller swap we would go for it. He is like Blake but can actually play defence and doesn't crumble late in games. I would like to see us look for some sort of deal to bring Ty Thomas and Hinrich to the Blazers. It would upgrade our starting 1 spot and back-up 4 spot dramatically but whether that could get done I don't know.

Wilson
12-05-2009, 10:18 PM

Calderon for Miller

Miller for Tayshaun

They are all great trades for Portland, I don't think any of those teams want Andre Miller though. He wouldn't fit into any of those rosters.

He'd have the same problem in LA as in Portland, and the Lakers would be faced with the same problems trying to fit him in as the Blazers are.

Miller needs the ball in his hands, which doesn't fit well in a line-up that already has Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum and Ron Artest. He's also a drive-and-kick PG with no jump shot, which doesn't fit the triangle offense.

He would be a good fit with our bench, but he made it clear in Portland that he doesn't want to come off the bench.

Besides all that, the Lakers don't even have anyone to offer the Blazers (unless they secretly covet Adam Morrison or Sasha Vujacic).

Andre Miller is best suited to play for the Miami Heat and they have the piece to trade for him in James Jones since he already knows the offense and what Nate needs.

Jones doesn't fit in Miami but would in Portland, and Miller would be Wade's Fisher or Snow and put Chalmers on the bench to be the Heat's spark.

I think Miller would struggle just as much with Wade as with Brandon Roy.

The best PG to play with all these star SGs are guys like Derek Fisher and Steve Blake - guys who can spot up and don't need the ball too much.

I was one of those who thought that Miller would not work out in Portland, I never understood why they signed him. I understand that with extentions kicking in next summer they weren't going to be able to use their cap space, but does that really matter? With their roster as full as it is they would have been much better served just letting their guys continue their growth...