PDA

View Full Version : Why The NBA All-Star Game Has Declined in Popularity

ko8e24
12-03-2009, 02:57 PM
I know it's a West vs East thing, but I think the fact that they have to wear the West and East jersey is really corny. I liked it those couple of yrs 1997-2002 (w/ exception of 1999 lockout) when the players used to wear their own team jerseys. Like Kobe wearing the Lakers, AI wearing the Sixers, Duncan wearing the Spurs, etc. etc.

Also, in past all-star games, every pass used to be a fancy pass, and about 90% of the plays used to be highlight reels. There are no more true dunkers in the All-star game. Those times of Vinsanity, T-Mac and Kobe are basically gone. Those times of killer crossovers by AI, Starbury etc are gone. The alley-hoops are the same alley-hoops that we've seen. The only thing that made last yr's all-star game interesting was having Shaq back as an All-Star and him doing what he does best, and that's entertain the fans.

And the fact that they took away the All-star game away from the nba on nbc really killed it. (TNT is pretty ok, but it ain't the NBA on NBC)

I also feel that most of the all-stars in today's game have a really dry personality, or are unable to entertain the fans like past all-stars used to.

Plain and simple, the NBA All-star game has become boring overall.

What are your guys' thoughts and how do you think the NBA can improve the ASG game. Or does it come with the passion of the players on the court?

Mavrix
12-03-2009, 03:05 PM
I think the level of talent in the All Star game has decreased a lot since the 90's

Raph12
12-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Players do not try as hard to win the game like they did in the 90s.

J4KOP99
12-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Player's are just trying to stay healthy.

It all comes back to all the "camraderie" that we see throughout the NBA now. All the good player's are friends. There are no true rivalries. The game is a complete joke and the Dunk contest has declined because it is only young players in it. The best dunkers, in most cases, don't even want to participate.

ko8e24
12-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Well, my thinking is that now with the 2010 ASG in Cowboy's Stadium, with 100,000+ fans, it's gonna be wild!

ChiSox219
12-03-2009, 03:45 PM

I agree with this and until Dwight came along it was the same with the dunk contest.

I agree with Ko8e on the jersey thing, some of the recent uniforms have made the game unwatchable (2008: http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/2008+NBA+All+Star+Game+9o1DJQIOZmMl.jpg)

Go back to the home conference wearing white and the road conference in color

sofargone
12-03-2009, 03:55 PM
its not a real game, no one wants to get their hands dirty in the game same with hockey all star games, if it doesnt count then players dont care

Lakeshow86
12-03-2009, 04:33 PM
i've never really liked the all star game. its just a game of a bunch of stars(some of which dont deserve to be there) who really dont take the game very seriously. its a game where they all goof off(shaq taking three pointers) and stuff. i really never watch the all star game

JordansBulls
12-03-2009, 06:27 PM
I know it's a West vs East thing, but I think the fact that they have to wear the West and East jersey is really corny. I liked it those couple of yrs 1997-2002 (w/ exception of 1999 lockout) when the players used to wear their own team jerseys. Like Kobe wearing the Lakers, AI wearing the Sixers, Duncan wearing the Spurs, etc. etc.

Also, in past all-star games, every pass used to be a fancy pass, and about 90% of the plays used to be highlight reels. There are no more true dunkers in the All-star game. Those times of Vinsanity, T-Mac and Kobe are basically gone. Those times of killer crossovers by AI, Starbury etc are gone. The alley-hoops are the same alley-hoops that we've seen. The only thing that made last yr's all-star game interesting was having Shaq back as an All-Star and him doing what he does best, and that's entertain the fans.

And the fact that they took away the All-star game away from the nba on nbc really killed it. (TNT is pretty ok, but it ain't the NBA on NBC)

I also feel that most of the all-stars in today's game have a really dry personality, or are unable to entertain the fans like past all-stars used to.

Plain and simple, the NBA All-star game has become boring overall.

What are your guys' thoughts and how do you think the NBA can improve the ASG game. Or does it come with the passion of the players on the court?

Yes I enjoyed the game more when each player wore his teams jersey in the game.

Also why it sucks now is the fact it is on TNT instead of ABC or NBC like it used to be.

J4KOP99
12-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Yes I enjoyed the game more when each player wore his teams jersey in the game.

Also why it sucks now is the fact it is on TNT instead of ABC or NBC like it used to be.

TNT is the best thing the NBA has going for it ever since the split with NBC.

J_M_B
12-03-2009, 06:43 PM
I agree with Ko8e on the jersey thing, some of the recent uniforms have made the game unwatchable (2008: http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/2008+NBA+All+Star+Game+9o1DJQIOZmMl.jpg)

Go back to the home conference wearing white and the road conference in color

:puke:

Those uniforms were disgusting

FOBolous
12-03-2009, 06:46 PM
because the players don't take it seriously. they goof off and clown around. you have shaq freakin' trying to cross over someone. it's not fun watching a game where the players don't compete when the whole freakin' game is about competition. it's like watching an action movie with no action or a comedy movie where the jokes are lame.

SteveNash
12-03-2009, 06:49 PM

So the drop started immediately after the NBA left NBC for TNT...

And the 2003 All Star game was pretty good, even if it was on TNT and the players had to wear East/West jerseys.

firm_standing
12-03-2009, 06:51 PM
can you imagine what the game would be like if everyone played serious? Wow..

mjt20mik
12-03-2009, 07:22 PM
can you imagine what the game would be like if everyone played serious? Wow..

It would be ONE EPIC GAME!!!!! :D:D:D

ko8e24
12-03-2009, 09:42 PM
So the drop started immediately after the NBA left NBC for TNT...

And the 2003 All Star game was pretty good, even if it was on TNT and the players had to wear East/West jerseys.

Well obviously because that was MJ's final all-star game, and he had the memorable fadaway that almost won the game for the east (had it not been stupid jermaine o'neal fouling kobe on a 3pt shot, lol)

J_M_B
12-03-2009, 09:50 PM
How ironic will it be if this All-Star game was actually really good?

ko8e24
12-03-2009, 10:19 PM
How ironic will it be if this All-Star game was actually really good?

it will be because it's in the new cowboys stadium. first time ever that the all star game will be head in a non-basketball arena. over 100,000 fans, might entice the players to play harder

superkegger
12-03-2009, 10:31 PM
A couple things.

There's nothing at stake. There's no reason for the players to take it seriously, and they don't. Most of those guys are on good teams and would really rather have the time off than play hard and possibly injure themselves. Along with this, you have some of your best players, like Duncan, who simply don't want to play in it, and don't play minutes at his point.

Secondly, somehow the ASG has become somewhat like the MVP, you not only have to be good, but on a good team. Which is dumb for the ASG, its about the best players.

Lastly, IMO, it's the point guards. The league lacks a whole lot of true PG's at an elite level. Think about it, what makes an offense fun to watch, a PG who excels at getting people easy looks. We don't have a ton of those guys, instead we have a ton of combo guards who aren't true PG's.

BlondeBomber41
12-03-2009, 10:37 PM

DING DING DING DING, we have a winner.

The players use to take the game seriously and try to win instead of what they do now.

Now its like they spend all but 5 minutes of the game trying to pad stats and make the fancy dunks and then for 5 minutes try to win. Thats ********.

If they aren't gonna take the game seriously, neither are the fans.

JayW_1023
12-04-2009, 05:55 AM
The All-star weekend is one big sham...it's where basketball become sports entertainment. Give me a real competitive game anyday of the week.

GDG
12-04-2009, 08:02 AM
I liked it much more when they wore their team jerseys, but that's never gonna happen again. NBA just wants to sell some more jerseys with the special all star ones

Jaji
12-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Because of Allen Iverson. "All Star games? We talking bout All Star games?"

Ethix11
12-04-2009, 11:43 AM
They need some incentives for them to play harder. I wanna see some blood. We need some combat basketball.

kinnikuman24
12-04-2009, 11:55 AM
somebody else said it best all the players are friends now. so its not like before where you would see magic v bird, or jordan and the bad boys on the same team. the best match up the last few years is kobe v lebron to see who gets most points and whos named mvp.

HammerHead1
12-04-2009, 12:03 PM
This is what my Dad said when we watched the All Star game last year, and obviously he was one to watch the AS games when MJ, Barkley, Wilkins were about, I watched it more towards VC, Kobe and Shaq. I just feel there isnt much of a rivalry anymore, I dont think the players really care about who is more dominant, the West or the East.

DJ CHACH
12-04-2009, 12:09 PM
make the MVP the most steals...ppl will only try hard if they realize smiling is only on occassion..there needs to be some defense involved in order to get the competitive juices going..not ppl moving out of the way for lebron to do his usual 3 steps and dunk...and take flopping devin harris out of the conversation

Sadds The Gr8
12-04-2009, 05:07 PM
This is what my Dad said when we watched the All Star game last year, and obviously he was one to watch the AS games when MJ, Barkley, Wilkins were about, I watched it more towards VC, Kobe and Shaq. I just feel there isnt much of a rivalry anymore, I dont think the players really care about who is more dominant, the West or the East.

I think this is exactly right...although i havent watched a full ASG since the players wore the team jerseys, i just usually tune in every 20 mins for loike 2 minutes to see what the score is. There just isn't that rivalry that their used to be...the only thing that will spice it up is if like Carmelo (just an example) is interviewed by Craig Sager post-game, and is asked "what do u think about the all-star game, and the teams this year?" and Melo says, "The east PALES compared to the west, we clearly have the better teams and players and are more competitive." The eastern conference team would take this a little offensively and thus a rivalry has begun. This works for everyone, the fans, players and media. And if the older guys like Duncan don't feel like playing seriously, then he doesn't have to play alot of minutes. As for injuries, players just need to remember that it's just an ASG and they don't need to do any hard fouls...good defense is just staying in front of your man, stealing passes, and blocking shots.

SteveNash
12-04-2009, 05:15 PM
make the MVP the most steals...ppl will only try hard if they realize smiling is only on occassion..there needs to be some defense involved in order to get the competitive juices going..not ppl moving out of the way for lebron to do his usual 3 steps and dunk...and take flopping devin harris out of the conversation

I hope this is a joke....

CQSox305
12-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Probably the same reason the NBA has declined in popularity so much. In the 90's you had stars that were likable now you have these tattooed thugs.

loveofthegame87
12-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Back then the players wanted to show who was the better of them and now they don't care. They need to turn on the lights back on that would help. I remember when tnt had a allstar special where they were talking about a guy that won mvp, and they gave him a car. If they give out a car that would put some fire behind them.

Slimsim
12-04-2009, 06:34 PM
They Should make it Who ever win the All star Game get Home Court Advantage No matter the record in the NBA Finals. That would make it Competitive.

Bruno
12-04-2009, 09:06 PM
It's because the players don't care about winning the game.