PDA

View Full Version : Ron Artest: "I used to drink Hennessy … at halftime,"

Gibby23
12-02-2009, 11:35 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/article/2009-12-02/sn-conversation-ron-artest-i-was-head-case

Ron Artest, the 30-year-old, first-year starter with the Los Angeles Lakers, may yet prove to be a crucial piece of an improved championship puzzle.

But those who are counting on one of the league's most explosive personalities to avoid controversy with his fifth NBA team may want to temper their expectations.

In a lengthy interview for the December 7 issue of Sporting News magazine, Artest—best known as the central figure in the infamous Malice at the Palace in 2004—bared all, including a startling admission that he drank alcohol during games as a member of the Chicago Bulls, for whom he played from 1999-2002.

"I used to drink Hennessy … at halftime," Artest says in the interview, which hits newsstands this week. "I (kept it) in my locker. I'd just walk to the liquor store (near the stadium) and get it."

Artest speaks openly in the interview on many other sensitive topics.

On his life as a St. John's star and a first-round draft pick, Artest says: "When I was a 19-year-old father, whew. I was a single pimp! I was wild. A lot of marijuana and alcohol—even before (that age). … I (still) party and I have fun, but not like I used to. I used to drink every night and party every night."

On why things fell apart for him in Chicago and Indiana: "It was all my fault. The first team, in Chicago, I was a head case. I worked really hard but still had this ghetto thing in me that I could not get out. … I could've stayed at Indiana my whole career, but I said I wanted to be traded. I was getting more stable, but I was still unstable and I was a bad teammate. They had to get rid of me."
On the 2004 brawl in Detroit for which Artest was suspended 73 games and lost $7 million in salary: "It wasn't my fault. … I don't see anything I could have done different. The only thing I could have done was have God pause time so I could have said, 'Oh, look, you're about to run in some stands, so stop.'"
On the Rockets' loss to the Lakers in the 2009 Western Conference semifinals: "(Referee) Joey Crawford basically said, 'Who cares about the Houston Rockets? Kobe Bryant is on the floor.'"
On comparisons with Trevor Ariza, the player he replaced at small forward in the Lakers' starting lineup: "I really don't understand why people compare me to him, or try. With what I've done in this league already, I mean, seriously? … I think it's the hype behind (a championship)."
On accepting a role in Bryant's supporting cast: "It's weird because people don't think about the whole basketball game. There's offense: Kobe averages 30 and is a great offensive player. Then you have defense. So on defense, now I have my supporting cast. … I'm one of the best defenders to ever play basketball, so I'm still the first option on defense."
On his feelings toward Ben Wallace, the Pistons center whose altercation with Artest touched off the melee in Detroit: "I see Ben, I'm on my guard now. I'm always in the mood to fight him. … I'll get suspended 10 games, 15 games (because) I'll just fight him right there. It won't go into the stands."
Artest also reveals his plans to become a professional boxer: "I started training two years ago," he says. "In four years, I'm going to try to have my first fight."

But the comments that may follow him most closely in the coming weeks are about drinking alcohol during games early in his career, which Artest says happened in part because the Bulls lost so often.

Previously, Artest hid any use of alcohol and marijuana well, according to his former coach at St. John's, Fran Fraschilla.

"It's a surprise because every day at practice, he came out in a mood to play. He came out in a basketball rage," said Fraschilla, now an analyst for ESPN. "He was fully committed; he wanted to let our upperclassmen know that he was the alpha male.

"It never came up that he had any sort of a problem with alcohol. This is the first I've heard of it."

Steve Greenberg is a writer for Sporting News. E-mail him at sgreenberg@sportingnews.com.

superkegger
12-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Well, if nothing else at least Ron is honest about how he feels.

fredv
12-02-2009, 11:52 AM
On the Rockets' loss to the Lakers in the 2009 Western Conference semifinals: "(Referee) Joey Crawford basically said, 'Who cares about the Houston Rockets? Kobe Bryant is on the floor.'"

quoted for truth

Pierzynski4Prez
12-02-2009, 11:58 AM
I love Ron Artest, wish he would have been with us longer, but still got nothing but love for him

TheWatcher34
12-02-2009, 12:12 PM
he's a warrior

Trouble87
12-02-2009, 12:13 PM
sometimes Ron Ron bugs me out.... kids look up to him

there was no reason to come out and talk about drinking henny at half time almost 10 years ago

dude probably likes the attention he gets from acting like a half an idiot... he needs to grow up and learn when to shut his mouth

Gibby23
12-02-2009, 12:17 PM
sometimes Ron Ron bugs me out.... kids look up to him

there was no reason to come out and talk about drinking henny at half time almost 10 years ago

dude probably likes the attention he gets from acting like a half an idiot... he needs to grow up and learn when to shut his mouth

Yeah he shouldn't have said it. The same thing for the 2004 Red Sox coning out and saying they had shots of Jack before the games to keep them lose.

Trouble87
12-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Yeah he shouldn't have said it. The same thing for the 2004 Red Sox coning out and saying they had shots of Jack before the games to keep them lose.

I still love Ron but ish like that just bugs me

KnicksorBust
12-02-2009, 12:25 PM
I honestly don't care and find the Hennessy thing amusing.

skinsfan4life80
12-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Im a Ron fan but clearly he doesnt have it all upstairs. I cant even imagine what he would be without basketball.

colinskik
12-02-2009, 12:34 PM
I don't have a problem with that. One shot of Jack ain't gonna do any harm, especially if you're playing baseball. Now sippin on the Henny and then going back out there to run up and down the court if a little harder, but hell, if he was able to do it I don't have a problem with it.

The Ooh Child
12-02-2009, 12:40 PM
If you don't like Ron Ron, you're just jealous because you can't emulate his thug.

Double_R
12-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Ron Ron is the best

MagicDojo
12-02-2009, 12:44 PM
He is a ticking time bomb. Lets see if he makes it through 100+ games without a conflict. it just takes the right circumstances. I predict a meltdown sometime this season.

Jah king
12-02-2009, 12:46 PM
quoted for truth

lets party... Ill the booze , the papers you grab the herb.....

Jah king
12-02-2009, 12:47 PM
lets party... Ill get the booze , the papers you grab the herb.....

hell , im hammerd right now... I cant even spell.

TopsyTurvy
12-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Two words: performance enhancers!

Gibby23
12-02-2009, 12:50 PM
He is a ticking time bomb. Lets see if he makes it through 100+ games without a conflict. it just takes the right circumstances. I predict a meltdown sometime this season.

Because he is talking about stuff he did 5 plus years ago? Right.

TragicallyHip
12-02-2009, 12:55 PM
This guy is 100% beauty hahaha.

And I don't give 2 ***** if he was saucin' at halftime, that's his deal.

UofA
12-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Anybody else see the video online of artest chilling with the rapper cormega in Queens just talking about thug **** and how real they are. Cormega's one of my favorites so it's funny as hell to me. Apparently they were real good friends growing up

MTar786
12-02-2009, 01:38 PM
ron should whoop ben wallaces ***............ post nba season

pd7631
12-02-2009, 01:43 PM
hahahaha......that's absolutely amazing, stupid, but hilarious

amoore87
12-02-2009, 01:48 PM
artest is the man..he just says what others fear to say

AIMelo=KillaDUO
12-02-2009, 01:48 PM
sucha badass

SirCalvin81
12-02-2009, 01:56 PM
dude doesnt even care its ****in hilarious

Don P.Belasario
12-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Anybody else see the video online of artest chilling with the rapper cormega in Queens just talking about thug **** and how real they are. Cormega's one of my favorites so it's funny as hell to me. Apparently they were real good friends growing up

Love Mega (no homo) if you have the link do me a favour and post it. Heard hes got a new CD out too cant get it here yet.

Ron Artest has been my favorite player in the nba for years. Nobody else plays defense like him. Craziest thing is he doesnt even play dirty like a lot of other past DPYs.

You can take the gentleman out of a thug but you cant take the thug out of a gentleman. That interview shows how far hes come.

J4KOP99
12-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Artest never dissapoints.

Ray_R
12-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Im a Ron fan but clearly he doesnt have it all upstairs. I cant even imagine what he would be without basketball.

not music ill tell you that much.But i agree he is a cool guy somtimes when he isnt doing dumb **** like this

Slimsim
12-02-2009, 02:54 PM
I won't be surprise if Ron Artest said he was abducted by Aliens.

sugarrayray
12-02-2009, 03:02 PM
this is obviously a clear case of bipolar disorder going untreated. the man is about 30, and he sounds like an immature 16 year old when he talks sometimes. I was a single pimp? what kind of man says that when he has a kid? i feel so bad for him, he kinda just reminds me of mike tyson, just a little bit, volumes less crazy, but still, i think he just has a ton of rage that he doesnt know how to deal with. which is usually the case

fairandbalanced
12-02-2009, 03:12 PM
:facepalm:

This guys will be done talking when there are no more NBA fans left....this guy gets paid for chasing fans away. WHEW.

The Ooh Child
12-02-2009, 03:21 PM
this is obviously a clear case of bipolar disorder going untreated. the man is about 30, and he sounds like an immature 16 year old when he talks sometimes. I was a single pimp? what kind of man says that when he has a kid? i feel so bad for him, he kinda just reminds me of mike tyson, just a little bit, volumes less crazy, but still, i think he just has a ton of rage that he doesnt know how to deal with. which is usually the case

You're obviously just jealous because Ron Ron is so Ghetto Fabolus. Ron Ron has more thug in his left pinky nail than you have in your entire body. He will beat you with a champagne bottle and say peace to his grandmoms while doing it.

Ethix11
12-02-2009, 03:27 PM
How can you not like this guy? I want to grow up and be just like him.

Zefflin
12-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Haha, oh man this thread is awesome. I think everyone knows at least 85% of the nba smokes.

*Superman*
12-02-2009, 03:42 PM
**** the Gatorade, pass that good ****.(To Kobe)

Chicagofaithful
12-02-2009, 03:54 PM
hes a ****

The_Mac22
12-02-2009, 04:03 PM
lol he a beast, drinkin' some heem. :)

conway429
12-02-2009, 04:39 PM
I don't even believe him really.
If he's drinking at half-time, then he's gonna smell like it, especially since he's running around sweating for the next half. Since no one expected he'd had a drinking problem, and no refs ever mentioned a smell during games or anything, I'm pretty sure he made this up to embellish his thug life image.
Look how many people in this thread are going "ohhh Ron Ron, he's hilarious, what a bada$$".
The only way I really even believe this is if he only had a sip at half-time, which is just lame.
I actually like Artest and his attitude, but he's an idiot.

Gators123
12-02-2009, 04:52 PM
If he's drinking at half-time, then he's gonna smell like it, especially since he's running around sweating for the next half. Since no one expected he'd had a drinking problem, and no refs ever mentioned a smell during games or anything, I'm pretty sure he made this up to embellish his thug life image.
Look how many people in this thread are going "ohhh Ron Ron, he's hilarious, what a bada$$".
The only way I really even believe this is if he only had a sip at half-time, which is just lame.

I agree..

JDizzle
12-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Hahaah ron artest is the man

Raps18-19 Champ
12-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Not liking that quote about Joey Crawford.

bctgg27
12-02-2009, 04:56 PM
No surprise. A lot players drink before a game, even some great players.

ko8e24
12-02-2009, 05:26 PM
wow, the part about joey crawford saying "kobe on the floor, who cares about the rockets" was a bit shocking for artest to say, especially the fact that kobe and artest on now teammates trying to win a title together.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-02-2009, 05:33 PM
That was a man thing to do in the NBA. NBA is so soft now.

Players get fined for 'Tweeting' during half time but I can guarantee some players do worse things and they don't get anything about it.

The Ooh Child
12-02-2009, 05:36 PM

What are you talking about? Ron Ron ALWAYS smells like Henessy. It's just what a thug smell like.

Big Zo
12-02-2009, 05:59 PM
I still drink Hennessy at halftime and even during games and no one makes a big fuss out of it...

bigsams50
12-02-2009, 06:37 PM
If you don't like Ron Ron, you're just jealous because you can't emulate his thug.

:laugh:

ProdigyI
12-02-2009, 06:42 PM
:facepalm:

Highlight
12-02-2009, 06:44 PM

I lol'd pretty hard. :laugh:

Verbal Christ
12-02-2009, 07:26 PM
clown of the year goes to...

Da Knicks
12-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Funny stuff.

wileyisTOFU
12-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Clearly his an attention whore.
Just wanna see another brawl from him before he retires.

PHX2daDEATH
12-02-2009, 07:38 PM
anybody remember when T-Mac said that he knew of players that would smoke a blunt before games and go out and score 40? wonder if he was talking about Artest..

Gators123
12-02-2009, 07:46 PM
anybody remember when T-Mac said that he knew of players that would smoke a blunt before games and go out and score 40? wonder if he was talking about Artest..

I don't think artest has ever scored 40 though. :cool:

wileyisTOFU
12-02-2009, 07:51 PM
I don't think artest has ever scored 40 though. :cool:

eh, im sure he did at least once...

m26555
12-02-2009, 07:59 PM
I love how Artest said he's "always in the mood" to fight Ben Wallace. Funny, considering how he turned into a mouse and hid behind his teammates when Ben challenged him at the brawl in Detroit.

I still wonder where everyone gets the notion that Artest is so "tough."

sofargone
12-02-2009, 08:17 PM
ron artest is a bossssss

dodie53
12-02-2009, 08:32 PM
a fight between ROn and Ben,
that would be a sight!

smith&wesson
12-02-2009, 08:34 PM
i love henny

:drunk:

and i love artest(nohomo)

Statik1
12-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Straight thug! Love it!

Verbal Christ
12-02-2009, 09:43 PM
You're obviously just jealous because Ron Ron is so Ghetto Fabolus. Ron Ron has more thug in his left pinky nail than you have in your entire body. He will beat you with a champagne bottle and say peace to his grandmoms while doing it.

when 'keeping it real' goes way,way wrong. :facepalm: and on that note any male over the age of 15 that uses the word 'thug' especially online, ESPECIALLY in a sports forum, should be excommunicated to cbs boards for the rest of their lives.

PLAYERS FAN
12-02-2009, 09:52 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/article/2009-12-02/sn-conversation-ron-artest-i-was-head-case

Thanks alot Artest! Now David Stern and his three horseman will make sure Lebron and Shaq win it all this year:mad: bad timing!

The Ooh Child
12-02-2009, 10:26 PM
when 'keeping it real' goes way,way wrong. :facepalm: and on that note any male over the age of 15 that uses the word 'thug' especially online, ESPECIALLY in a sports forum, should be excommunicated to cbs boards for the rest of their lives.

Those rules really don't apply when you're talkin bout Ron Ron. It doesn't surprise me that Ron Ron's thugnificence is lost on someone like you. You just don't understand what it takes to make a man so grimy. You will never know what it's like to go gonzo on some fine thug muffin while smokin a blunt in the back of an Oldsmobile that you borrowed from your grandmama that she lent you because you were supposed to go pick up her Glacoma medication at the Pharmacy. You don't know, and you don't even wanna know

NYtilIdie
12-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Ron Artest=A MUTHA****IN BAWSE SON!!!!!!!

ONLY THING I CAN SAY TO KOBE IS......STEP YA GAME UP SON CAUSE THE THUG LIFE IN ARTEST IS TAKIN OVER MUTHA****IN L.A. SON!!!

KOBE WISHES HE HAD ARTEST'S HARDCORE THUGGISH LIFESTYLE

KayNti
12-02-2009, 10:44 PM
I won't be surprised if at least 1/4 of NBA players drink during the games, I remember Keon Clark used to

HoopsDrive
12-02-2009, 11:25 PM

I think it's pretty clear he would be one of the greatest pound for pound boxers of all time

:rolleyes:

_KB24_
12-02-2009, 11:39 PM
Wow, how stupid can you get Artest....... I mean if they caught him back then, his career would be over before it even started........damn this makes me look stupid when I'm defending him.

On a lighter note, Artest has filled a HUGE gap that was left by Shaq when he left LA in terms of entertainment. It seems like Artest comes up with something everyday.

djeller1139
12-03-2009, 12:28 AM
He's a thug.

Omar Little
12-03-2009, 12:37 AM
Artest is such a joke. As good of player as he can be, what he will inevitably be remembered for are his ridiculous antics. His career looks like this:

Plays for the Bulls: Drinks Henny at halftime & applies for a job at Best Buy so he can get discounts on home entertainment systems.

Plays for the Pacers: Asks for a month off to work on his rap album & shortly after gets in fight on the court which leads to him jumping in the crowd and pummeling some puny fan.

What a joke!

Verbal Christ
12-03-2009, 01:18 AM
nice to see all the eThugs representin'

Gators123
12-03-2009, 03:57 AM
Here's what Big Ben said...

Wallace was asked about these comments before tonight's game in Chicago:

“Y'all know who that is?" Wallace said. "I'm not worried about that stuff. He's just talkin'.”

Asked whether he was worried, Wallace just shook his head.

http://detroit4lyfe.com/articles/detroit-pistons/ron-artest-is-always-in-the-mood-to-fight.html

December 2, ESPN.com: "He said he wants to fight me?" Wallace asked reporters before the Pistons-Bulls game.

"Yeah," a reporter responded.

"Well, [you] need to test him and see if he's still drinking," Wallace said.

Raph12
12-03-2009, 04:22 AM
He's an idiot, but an honest idiot and he is right in some of the things he said above, but wrong in most lol.

Tony_Starks
12-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Keep it real Ron! You guys can down him for his honesty but I hate to break it to you he's not that only player that was doing/is doing that. Guys have been playing faded/high for years.