PDA

View Full Version : War

sox04rR
12-01-2009, 06:12 PM
how does it work and what does it exactly mean??

MDfootball36
12-01-2009, 06:25 PM
WAR

what is it good for?

C1Bman88
12-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Simply put, WAR stands for Wins Above Replacement. It identifies how many wins a player adds to his team over a "replacement player," (i.e. a AAAA scrub) based on hitting, defense and positional difficulty.

Mr.drew
12-15-2009, 03:39 PM
so if you took the war of the starting nine guys on a given team can you then project the wins that the team will get, or do other factors go into the total team wins

C1Bman88
12-15-2009, 04:00 PM
so if you took the war of the starting nine guys on a given team can you then project the wins that the team will get, or do other factors go into the total team wins

You have to look at the team's total WAR to predict how many games the team *should* have won based on individual talent. Since WAR is context-neutral, it doesn't adjust for the impact of the team on the player.

Gigantes4Life
12-16-2009, 02:28 AM

You have to account for every player, the team. But yes you can project the wins for any team if you have a good baseline for playing time.

papipapsmanny
12-16-2009, 02:54 AM
im pretty much understand it, yet this is probably a stupid but i want to make sure. When using WAR to compare players, it is best to compare 2 players at the same position.. correct?

i dunno i know you can use it to compare all players, but isnt it better to do it by position?

C1Bman88
12-16-2009, 03:21 AM
im pretty much understand it, yet this is probably a stupid but i want to make sure. When using WAR to compare players, it is best to compare 2 players at the same position.. correct?

i dunno i know you can use it to compare all players, but isnt it better to do it by position?

WAR uses positional adjustments that allow you to compare players at different positions. If you're uncomfortable with using those, then yeah, you'll want to compare players by the same position only.

Gigantes4Life
12-16-2009, 03:48 AM

When you're comparing between positions, the ones I try to avoid comparing are LF/RF because of the same positional adjustments on FanGraphs despite the average LF being worse defensively; and then also catcher because catcher defense is still a bit iffy.

donnie23
12-18-2009, 03:31 PM
A big part of the 1st baseman's job is receiving the ball. Does WAR take that into account? I know UZR doesn't.

C1Bman88
12-18-2009, 03:57 PM
A big part of the 1st baseman's job is receiving the ball. Does WAR take that into account? I know UZR doesn't.

UZR is part of WAR.

Studies have been done on a first baseman's "scoop" abilities. You're looking at a max of +/- 4 runs per year saved or cost.