PDA

View Full Version : Sixers sign Iverson to one year deal

bigvdebo86
12-01-2009, 04:50 PM
PHILADELPHIA -- Allen Iverson and the Philadelphia 76ers are close to a reunion.

A person with knowledge of the contract talks says the Sixers offered a one-year, non-guaranteed contract to Iverson on Tuesday. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the contract talks had not been made public.

Iverson, his agent and business manager met with team president Ed Stefanski, coach Eddie Jordan and two other members of the organization Monday during the first formal meeting between the Sixers and their former MVP.

Iverson announced his retirement last week after an ill-fated stint with the Memphis Grizzlies. The 10-time All-Star was NBA MVP in 2001 when he led the Sixers to the NBA Finals.

sofargone
12-01-2009, 04:53 PM
:clap: finally all the drama is over

JordansBulls
12-01-2009, 04:57 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4704151

kidfury
12-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Philly I think will end up regretting this decision. AI was a good player but his time has past.

Iodine
12-01-2009, 04:58 PM
So Iverson is going to **** the sixers over twice?

Damn what a boss

asmarks18
12-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Should have never left Philly in the first place. He needs them and they need him. Glad to see AI has a home. A guy that good who is a future HOFamer should no be retiring at the age of 34.

ZebraCity916
12-01-2009, 05:00 PM
I hope this happens. It's weird not having AI in the league.

BkOriginalOne
12-01-2009, 05:04 PM
You guys are quick.
I think that AI will play better than people are expecting.
Jersey sales will soar, Iverson will start in the all star game (sorry Jennings), and ticket sales will go up at least 10%.

Vinny642
12-01-2009, 05:06 PM
I hope AI beasts so you guys can shut up.

AirJordanXVIII
12-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Hallelujah!

Ni55anpat
12-01-2009, 05:19 PM

I hope he flips them around and into a playoff team, so all the haters can shut up.:clap:

Iodine
12-01-2009, 05:20 PM

For the last time, he is a hall of fame player. He also happens to be an inaugural hall of fame douchebag and team killer

TheWatcher34
12-01-2009, 05:21 PM
to go back to the franchise that was defined by A.I. for almost a decade...to end the career there in a positive way...and to get his jersey retired in the city of brotherly love.... it's all looking like a decent story.

Unruly Fan
12-01-2009, 05:25 PM
You guys are quick.
I think that AI will play better than people are expecting.
Jersey sales will soar, Iverson will start in the all star game (sorry Jennings), and ticket sales will go up at least 10%.AI or no AI, Jenning's ain't an allstar this year.

smith&wesson
12-01-2009, 05:25 PM
WOW, bet anything iverson gets voted in the all star game.
im happy he is going to finally play. phili better start this guy.

detroit buckets
12-01-2009, 05:31 PM
What a big mistake! This decision has nothing to do with basketball. It's all business. Put some butts in the seats and sell some jerseys.

He nor his style of play fit with the players or the scheme the coach was trying to instill. So much for long term thoughts and attempts of developing the youth. AI is not part of the future efforts, and will only slow down the entire process for everyone else. Yes he can still score the ball. He'll probably average 24 & 5. But at the end of the day, his ball dominance takes away from the other players. He does nothing more than push them closer to .500 at best.

The Ooh Child
12-01-2009, 05:34 PM
So Iverson is going to **** the sixers over twice?

Damn what a boss

:laugh2:

While I do think Iverson makes us a better team this year I am still against the move. We should've just sucked it up and gone forward with what we have (and hopefully try to cut a contract or two). I think this move was done primarily to get fans excited about the team.

:sigh: Who knows, maybe hell will freeze over and Iverson will be a good mentor to Jrue.

smith&wesson
12-01-2009, 05:39 PM
For the last time, he is a hall of fame player. He also happens to be an inaugural hall of fame douchebag and team killer

what makes him a team killer ? Joe dumars disfunctional science experiment ?
i dont think so. your just a hater who feeds in to the media too much.

Iodine
12-01-2009, 05:44 PM

lol at me liking the media. I would write more but I actually laughed at this

dhype14
12-01-2009, 06:00 PM
A lot of people hating this guy here in the forum but when it comes to ALL STAR game a lot of people votes him to start. haha just funny. LETS BRING BACK THE CROSS OVER KING!

ALLEN IVERSON FOR 2010 ALLSTAR GAME!!!

mser58
12-01-2009, 06:10 PM
The Answer <3

levignjw
12-01-2009, 06:12 PM
The 76ers will soon be regretting their decision if Iverson accepts the deal.

levignjw
12-01-2009, 06:15 PM

Really?

Man some of these Iverson followers can be so ignorant. Before Iverson came to the Pistons he stated he would do anything he had to to help Detroit win a championship. I think we all know the last thing Allen is is a man of his word.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
12-01-2009, 06:33 PM
watch AI pull a brett favre and make all tha haters shutup

RaiderLakersA's
12-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Iverson should wait until the end of the season. I bet one team is going to be injury depleted and sorely in need of his services to carry them through the end of the season and playoffs. In the meantime, keep working out and get his head on straight.

ZebraCity916
12-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Can't wait to see him back in a Philly jersey.

SteveNash
12-01-2009, 06:45 PM
So how long will it take until the Sixers realize Jrue Holliday is better than Iverson and AI quits after being relegated to the bench again?

bigvdebo86
12-01-2009, 06:56 PM
So how long will it take until the Sixers realize Jrue Holliday is better than Iverson and AI quits after being relegated to the bench again?

What are you smoking jrue better than iverson? lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

NYKnicks4511
12-01-2009, 07:04 PM
AI or no AI, Jenning's ain't an allstar this year.

Sir, who would be your pick to be the Starting and backup PG for the east?
Jennings is and will be an all star this year...

pf289
12-01-2009, 07:04 PM
This is ****ing ********. I love AI but now is not the time to bring him in. What a terrible idea. He is a distraction, we need to develop our younger guys which will not happen when AI needs the ball constantly, and he will help us just this year an maybe get us close to the playoffs. Then where does that leave Philly at the end of the season? Back in this same terrible position as we are now without developing our young players an not getting a good enough draft pick. Dammit what idiots.

FlakeyFool
12-01-2009, 07:13 PM
him along side iggy, and if brand plays like he can that team will be pretty good.

bigsams50
12-01-2009, 07:15 PM
him along side iggy, and if brand plays like he can that team will be pretty good.

thts what i was thinking lol

smith&wesson
12-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Really?

Man some of these Iverson followers can be so ignorant. Before Iverson came to the Pistons he stated he would do anything he had to to help Detroit win a championship. I think we all know the last thing Allen is is a man of his word.

ignorant = someone whos starts name calling like an 11 year old when they dont agree with someone else's opinion. its worst then being a dumbass, because a dumbass can try to get smarter.

smith&wesson
12-01-2009, 07:21 PM

i agree. its too bad (for us raptor fans) that he is making a division team rival better.

NBA-GMaster
12-01-2009, 07:29 PM
What a non-guaranted?? What a :bs:
Accept the deal if 1 million is guaranteed..
Offer him a 2mil one year deal.. 1.3 mil??:facepalm:
If they offer him a non-guaranteed the advantage of it, he could sign in an elite team to win a championship..:clap:

SA5195
12-01-2009, 07:30 PM
yaaaaaay :)

RaptorsFanatic
12-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Back where he belongs.......

levignjw
12-01-2009, 07:44 PM
ignorant = someone whos starts name calling like an 11 year old when they dont agree with someone else's opinion. its worst then being a dumbass, because a dumbass can try to get smarter.

Actually my man, dictionary.com states that the term ignorant refers to: "lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact". When I said you were ignorant, it was by no shape or form a way of "name calling" as you put it. Rather, the term was used to address your lack of knowledge regarding Iverson's stay in Detroit.

TheWatcher34
12-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Iverson should wait until the end of the season. I bet one team is going to be injury depleted and sorely in need of his services to carry them through the end of the season and playoffs. In the meantime, keep working out and get his head on straight.

:speechless:

lmao...dude's head is straight...he just doesnt give a **** damn..he is what he is...people gotta suck it up!
keep working out?!?! "practice????"
but still, he can prove something to himself this season (he's got the opportunity, we'll see if he takes it) and then possibly have some1 sign u for some more money next season!

sleepercell3
12-01-2009, 08:17 PM
As a pistons fan who didn't quite get to see his prime skills nice to see him back in Philly.

Evolution23
12-01-2009, 08:24 PM
I don't understand why everyone is saying he is a allstar.. He has not done much this year so lets wait and see him put up some deccent numbers before we start calling him a 2010 allstar.

Evolution23
12-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Actually my man, dictionary.com states that the term ignorant refers to: "lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact". When I said you were ignorant, it was by no shape or form a way of "name calling" as you put it. Rather, the term was used to address your lack of knowledge regarding Iverson's stay in Detroit.

He took u to English 101

dodie53
12-01-2009, 08:36 PM
what would AI2 feel?

TheWatcher34
12-01-2009, 08:38 PM
He took u to English 101

lol :clap:

pd7631
12-01-2009, 08:53 PM
what would AI2 feel?

Who cares what Iggy feels? He has done nothing since AI's departure....his ppg and apg have gone up by default. He's shooting lower %'s in FG, 3PT, and FT's since AI left. His rebounding averages are about the same. If anybody thinks that this is Andre Iguodala's team they are sorely mistaken....because despite not playing for us in 3 years, AI is still the face of the franchise.

Iggy can now go back to doing what he did best, easy transition points and spot up 3's rather than trying to create his own shots via ugly turnaround jumpers, horrendous step back shots, and out of control drives. He can also do what his job was when he was drafted.....guard the opponents best wing player.

This team will be so much better with AI, and I can't wait to see it.

ElMarroAfamado
12-01-2009, 09:05 PM
more like English 52
hahaha
still someone got taken to school!

smith&wesson
12-01-2009, 09:55 PM

i stand corrected. and if your not name calling then i guess we can have an actual discussion.

going back to denver days. iverson was averaging 26 points and 7 assits prior going to detroit. this is on a team that has melo as a main player and iverson was able to co-exist on the same team with melo while melo was like 2nd in scoring in the league. yes billups took them further. yes billups is better suited for the nuggets. but how can he be a team killer ? both his previous coaches had good things to say about him. alot of ppl make it seem like iverson is in the same boat as marbury atitude wise.. and even go as far as calling him a cancer. Detroit- joe dumars made this move for cap releif this year. every one knows this. iverson was never brought in to turn detroit back in to a contender. he plays the same position as rip. dumars got rid of the captain of his team and didnt replace him with a better point gaurd or even a good one. instead he went out and got a shooting gaurd capable of starting when he already had a starting shooting gaurd. both rip and iverson later stated that curry was the reason the project didnt work. all of a sudden iverson done ? say what you want about the guy but i really dont think he is done i think he probably has way more game left in him then tmac and no ones written him off... not YET.

Raph12
12-01-2009, 09:57 PM
AI for MVP and MIP!!!

bahama0811
12-01-2009, 09:59 PM
It would be good to see AI back in Philly. That's where I thought he should've gone during the off-season.

levignjw
12-01-2009, 10:47 PM
i stand corrected. and if your not name calling then i guess we can have an actual discussion.

going back to denver days. iverson was averaging 26 points and 7 assits prior going to detroit. this is on a team that has melo as a main player and iverson was able to co-exist on the same team with melo while melo was like 2nd in scoring in the league. yes billups took them further. yes billups is better suited for the nuggets. but how can he be a team killer ? both his previous coaches had good things to say about him. alot of ppl make it seem like iverson is in the same boat as marbury atitude wise.. and even go as far as calling him a cancer. Detroit- joe dumars made this move for cap releif this year. every one knows this. iverson was never brought in to turn detroit back in to a contender. he plays the same position as rip. dumars got rid of the captain of his team and didnt replace him with a better point gaurd or even a good one. instead he went out and got a shooting gaurd capable of starting when he already had a starting shooting gaurd. both rip and iverson later stated that curry was the reason the project didnt work. all of a sudden iverson done ? say what you want about the guy but i really dont think he is done i think he probably has way more game left in him then tmac and no ones written him off... not YET.

Good points. Joe D did make the move in order to free up some cap space, but at the same time he was hoping that this move would put them in a better position to win, he was not mortgaging the future that year. As we have all seen Dumars has a large amount of faith in Stuckey, so via the Billups trade not only did it allow Stuckey to get starter's minutes, but it also gave the Pistons a dynamic scorer that they had been missing in years past that led to loses in the post season to teams such as the Cavs and Miami because we did not have an "answer" to LeBron or D-Wade.

Trust me, if anyone told me after the Iverson trade that he would be best suited coming off the bench I would have called BS, but the fact of the matter is the Pistons play a different style of basketball. Before the trade, Iverson stated he was willing to do anything in order to help this team win. Well, this was a bold faced lie because when he found out that this would entail him coming off of the bench, his ego took over. Now I know Rip and AI both stated Curry lied and was not a suitable HC, but that's still no reason to give up on a season/team simply because you aren't buying into the program even when you previously had stated you were willing to do anything it takes.

Iverson is one of the best players to ever play the game, especially at his size, I am not taking that away from him. But it's his ego that clouded his judgment over the years and is now beginning to tarnish his career.

mzgrizz
12-02-2009, 12:17 AM
Really?

Uh, didn't he just 6 weeks ago say the same thing in Memphis???
And a jillion PSD'ers thought he was crazy for thinking the Grizz could be contenders??
It was an exciting thought to have him join our team this fall, but about as exciting as being pushed off a ledge; or being bitten by a cobra...exciting at first but painful before long.
I do hope he doesn't crap all over the Sixers and maintains a TINY bit of dignity in his return home and on to a probable retirement this year. And I also wonder if his back will be sprained for the Sixers' game in Memphis in April???

Gators123
12-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Here's whats Stephen A smith wrote on his twitter

"Bottom line: expect him to show up at the Wachovia Center in a 76ers' uniform next Monday vs. Carmelo and the Nuggets, his old team." 42 minutes ago from web

kidfury
12-02-2009, 04:32 PM
There's no doubt AI will be looking to pad his stats and demand the ball and playing time. He will score there's no doubt but we'll see whether that translates to team success, i have my doubts. Philly has full knowledge and experience dealing with AI so if any problems do happen they have no one to blame except themselves.

ink
12-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Here's the AI thread ...

dhype14
12-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Welcome back AI. Cant wait to watch you playing in the court again and wearing sixers uniform. Good luck!

roshan3ai
12-02-2009, 07:15 PM
loving the answer back in philly! ai and ai could be a great combo

Raph12
12-02-2009, 07:37 PM
AI, Iggy, Thad, Brand and Dalembert is a pretty solid starting line, plus they got Speights and Jrue off the bench, hmmmm...

DenButsu
12-03-2009, 12:23 AM
Really glad for AI that he made this move. When he really retires, he can exit the NBA much more gracefully now, and receive a lot more respect. Unfortunate he'll never get a ring, but good to see him find solid ground.

And I'm really glad his first game back with Philly will be at home against the Nuggets. Sure to be emotional all around.

SteveNash
12-03-2009, 12:36 AM
So AI has Igoudala who can handle the ball and defense. Thaddeus who can defend and shoot the three. Brand a legit post presence. Dalembert an excellent help defender. Kapono's shooting off the bench. Speights offsensive firepower off the bench. This is the team AI always wanted.

If AI is truly great, they should at least make it to the Finals.

JayW_1023
12-03-2009, 07:28 AM
What a way to go out for AI if he ends up being cut by the same team that has embarced him over the years. And it may well happen too.

MTar786
12-03-2009, 08:16 AM
So AI has Igoudala who can handle the ball and defense. Thaddeus who can defend and shoot the three. Brand a legit post presence. Dalembert an excellent help defender. Kapono's shooting off the bench. Speights offsensive firepower off the bench. This is the team AI always wanted.

If AI is truly great, they should at least make it to the Finals.

getting them to the second round n giving whichever team they face in the second round a tough fight is more than enough to show how great he is

kikeyanez
12-03-2009, 08:33 AM
i hope it dont turn out like the chris webber situation! he resign with the warriors 3 weeks later retired..pointless signing..wish the best for a.i the guy is a hall of famer like ewing! both will end there career with out a ring

pd7631
12-03-2009, 07:28 PM
I don't know if anybody saw AI's press conference today, but if you did.....you would understand why we love him in Philly. I've said all along that he would be welcome back to the Sixers with open arms, and that was overwhelmingly evident. BTW, the Sixers sold more tickets in 2 days, then they had sold from the day single game tickets went on sale. We love him here!

Gators123
12-03-2009, 07:40 PM
I don't know if anybody saw AI's press conference today, but if you did.....you would understand why we love him in Philly. I've said all along that he would be welcome back to the Sixers with open arms, and that was overwhelmingly evident. BTW, the Sixers sold more tickets in 2 days, then they had sold from the day single game tickets went on sale. We love him here!

I just watched the press conference. I hope he does well in Philly.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Filled-with-tears-Iverson-happy-to-be-back-in-P?urn=nba,206627

Ni55anpat
12-03-2009, 07:58 PM
I love A.I

DenButsu
12-03-2009, 08:28 PM
I just watched the press conference. I hope he does well in Philly.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Filled-with-tears-Iverson-happy-to-be-back-in-P?urn=nba,206627

Aw, man, how can anyone not like AI after seeing that?

I mean, I think he might be a little deluded in terms of overestimating where his basketball level is at now, and I think he's definitely stubborn on the court about only playing his style of ball, but the guy is obviously passionate and sincere, and maybe more importantly seems also to have learned some humility, and gained a pretty mature perspective on the arcs his career and his life have taken.

Can't wait to see Philly welcome him back on Monday. That's gonna be one tough room for the Nuggets to win in.