PDA

View Full Version : Allen Iverson and Philadelphia 76ers meet - could play in Denver next Monday

ko8e24
11-30-2009, 05:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4701189

Philadelphia 76ers coach Eddie Jordan and general manager Ed Stefanski had a two-hour meeting in Dallas on Monday with free-agent guard Allen Iverson before the team's game against the Mavericks.

The team confirmed the face-to-face meeting with Iverson, agent Leon Rose and Iverson's longtime business manager Gary Moore.

No firm decision on signing Iverson was expected before the game Monday night.

Iverson is among the free-agent candidates the Sixers are considering to replace injured point guard Lou Williams, who's expected to miss eight weeks after jaw surgery.

Iverson announced his retirement last week after an ill-fated stint with the Memphis Grizzlies. The 10-time All-Star was NBA MVP in 2001 when he led the Sixers to the NBA Finals.

I hope they sign him :clap:

randomness
11-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Really want to see him play.. redeem yourself at Philly Iverson! :)

bigsams50
11-30-2009, 05:33 PM
I'd love to see AI return to Philly

sofargone
11-30-2009, 05:35 PM
please just sign him so i dont have to hear about this anymore

ko8e24
11-30-2009, 05:39 PM

hahaha, i know how you feel, but I think with the whole retirement talk and stuff, this thread was indeed appropriate. As an NBA fan, I'd love to see him back in that 76ers uniform.

aaaahhhhh. nostalgia kicking in of the late 90s and early 2000s, the NBA at its best (Post-Jordan era that is)

GoatMilk
11-30-2009, 05:44 PM
sixers chairman has ok'd it.

Now it's up to Stefanski(GM) and Coach Jordan to decide.

AIverson
11-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Sixers to the finals confirmed?

Patriots
11-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Sign him please!

pd7631
11-30-2009, 06:04 PM
:dance:

ko8e24
11-30-2009, 06:14 PM
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/11/30/iverson.sixers/

The Philadelphia 76ers and Allen Iverson moved closer to one another on Monday, meeting for two hours in Dallas to discuss a potential reunion of the 10-time All-Star guard with his former team. No contract was offered and Iverson will not be on the team's roster when it plays Monday night against the Mavericks. But in a significant development, senior management of the team has given the basketball side of the organization the go-ahead to sign Iverson if it wants.

Iverson and his agent, Leon Rose, met with the team's president of basketball operations, Ed Stefanski, player personnel director and last year's interim head coach, Tony DiLeo, current head coach Eddie Jordan and assistant coach Aaron McKie, a former teammate of Iverson's when both played with the 76ers and still a close friend. The meeting, a source said, was for the coaching staff to gauge Iverson's willingness to be flexible when guard Lou Williams returns from a broken jaw.

Williams, who was injured last week, is expected to miss around 30 games. But the team does not want to ****** his development, so it's likely he would go back into the starting lineup when he's healthy. That would mean Iverson would likely have to come off the bench, and that's been a non-starter for him the last two years, resulting in his being kept off the Pistons' playoff roster last year and having to work out a settlement of his contract with Memphis this year after just three games.

The 76ers are proceeding cautiously in determining whether they want to get back together with Iverson, who was traded to Denver in 2006 after a decade in Philadelphia -- at the end of a rancorous period in which Iverson had worn out his welcome with the team's top management. That included Sixers chairman Ed Snider, whose relationship with Iverson was frayed when he decided to grant Iverson's request for a trade.

But Snider has signed off on Iverson's return, leaving it up to Stefanski and the coaching staff, a source said.

"That was then, this is now," the source said.

If Iverson signs with the 76ers, it would be for a non-guaranteed, prorated amount of the veteran's minimum salary, a little more than $1.3 million for veterans with 10 or more seasons' experience. Keeping him for the 30-game period Williams is expected to be out would cost the team around $700,000 -- an expense that Comcast, the team's parent company, would have no trouble spending. If Iverson becomes difficult in any way, the team would just release him with no further financial obligations. That combination has addressed all of Comcast's concerns, so it is up to the basketball people to decide.

Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia first reported the Monday meeting between Iverson and the team.

A second source indicated Monday that the team has not yet contacted free agent guard Antonio Daniels, who has been available since working out a release of his contract from Minnesota earlier this season. The Cavaliers took a look at Daniels during the preseason but decided not to make him a contract offer. Still, Iverson is the best available player on the market.

He had announced his retirement last week, saying that he still felt he could play. However, most personnel people around the league believed that he would come back as soon as a viable team became available. The 76ers, next to last in the league in attendance -- and, more importantly, in desperate need of scoring punch -- fit the bill. Forward Elton Brand, who missed much of last season with a shoulder injury, was expected back in the lineup Monday night after missing the last few games with a hamstring injury.

The return of the iconic Iverson to the team that drafted him first overall in 1996, and for whom he played his best basketball, winning league MVP honors in 2001 and leading the 76ers to the 2001 NBA Finals, would be a shot in the arm for a franchise that has fallen by the wayside, both locally in terms of fan interest and in the Eastern Conference. Iverson won't make them contenders, but he'd make them more fun to watch.

SIXERS GM ED STEFANSKI'S STATEMENT

This afternoon, we met with free agent Allen Iverson in Dallas for the first formal discussion regarding a possible return to the Philadelphia 76ers. The meeting lasted approximately two hours and covered a variety of topics, all of which we would prefer to keep between the team and Allen.
The meeting was attended by Allen, his agent Leon Rose and his personal manager Gary Moore, along with 76ers Senior Vice President/Assistant General Manager Tony DiLeo, Head Coach Eddie Jordan, Assistant Coach Aaron McKie and me.

At this time, both parties remain non-committal regarding a final decision and we will continue to discuss internally whether or not to pursue this course.

We want to thank Allen, Leon and Gary for taking the time to meet with us today.

The Sixers will have no further comment at this time and further updates will be provided as they become available.

sofargone
11-30-2009, 06:38 PM
hahaha, i know how you feel, but I think with the whole retirement talk and stuff, this thread was indeed appropriate. As an NBA fan, I'd love to see him back in that 76ers uniform.

aaaahhhhh. nostalgia kicking in of the late 90s and early 2000s, the NBA at its best (Post-Jordan era that is)
haha im glad this is happening hopefully after tomorrow we wont have to hear any more AI drama.

SA5195
11-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Do it!!!!!!!!!

nipo10847
11-30-2009, 07:03 PM

dick

Kakaroach
11-30-2009, 07:48 PM
please just sign him so i dont have to hear about this anymore Yeah thats what I feel about it at this point as well.

drama1386
11-30-2009, 08:03 PM
please sign him! AI is one of my favorite players and him going back to the sixers would just be epic. not only for the team, but just for the simple fact that the answer is back in philly!

PLAYERS FAN
11-30-2009, 08:10 PM
Good news to A.I fans.

BkOriginalOne
12-01-2009, 11:18 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4702589

DALLAS -- Allen Iverson could be back in a Philadelphia 76ers uniform as early as next Monday night.

Two sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that the Sixers are indeed targeting Monday's home game against the Denver Nuggets -- another of Iverson's former teams -- if they go forward with what appears to be a growing intent to bring back their controversial franchise icon.

After club officials met face-to-face with Iverson and his representatives for nearly two hours Monday before Philadelphia's 104-102 loss to the Dallas Mavericks, three of the organization's key figures -- Sixers coach Eddie Jordan, general manager Ed Stefanski and Comcast-Spectacor chairman Ed Snider -- all insisted publicly that no firm decision has been made on re-signing Iverson for the rest of the season.

But sources stressed to ESPN.com that plans behind the scenes have progressed to a level where Iverson's return is now regarded by both sides as far more likely than not. Although it remains unclear whether Iverson has the leverage to command anything more than a pro-rated share of the $1.3 million veterans' minimum, all indications late Monday suggested that only an unforeseen about-face by the Sixers could prevent Iverson from formally rejoining them by week's end.

One source said that the team has already made tentative plans to send assistant coach and former Iverson teammate Aaron McKie home from the Sixers' current road trip to meet Iverson in Philadelphia later this week and work him out to ensure Iverson's readiness for the Denver game. The Sixers play Thursday in Oklahoma City and Saturday in Charlotte before returning to Philadelphia.

Although another team insider cautioned that no deal with Iverson should be considered done until it's official -- especially after the New York Knicks seemed to get just as close to signing Iverson earlier this month before electing to back out at the 11th hour -- there was an unquestioned sense of inevitability in the locker room in Dallas that Iverson will soon be a Sixer again.

"No doubt he's coming back," one source said.

Said Sixers reserve guard Royal Ivey: "He's a Hall of Fame-type player. He's a great leader. I think he'd help us if he decided to come back. He's a great contributor. I'd like to have him as a teammate. It's that clear and simple.''

The prospect of a reunion -- which seemed unfathomable in the wake of Iverson's request to be traded early in the 2006-07 season and the deal soon thereafter that sent him to Denver -- gathered steam Monday afternoon when Iverson, agent Leon Rose and longtime business manager Gary Moore met with a four-strong Sixers delegation that included Jordan, Stefanski, McKie and assistant general manager Tony DiLeo.

Stefanski said in a statement afterward that both parties remain non-committal about a final decision and that the Sixers "will continue to discuss internally whether or not to pursue this course."

But two of the major hurdles Iverson has to clear to get a second shot with the team that drafted him and launched him into prominence in 1996 were cleared Monday. One of them was the face-to-face sitdown, which Sixers officials considered a must after the acrimonious nature of Iverson's exits in Detroit and Memphis. The other was the blessing of Snider, who said in his own statement that Stefanski has the freedom to sign or pass on Iverson without worrying about any leftover residue from Iverson's departure nearly three years ago.

Snider said: "While nothing has been decided ... I support him and his basketball decisions."

Jordan refused to share specifics about the meeting but said: "All of us liked what [Iverson] talked about today. ... He's a charming individual. It was really good, really intriguing."

Mired at 5-13 after its seventh straight loss, Philadelphia is looking for a guard after losing starter Lou Williams for at least eight weeks with a broken jaw and looking even harder for someone who can generate some buzz to lift the Sixers out of the bottom two in NBA attendance.

The signing would be a gamble nonetheless, given Iverson's well-chronicled refusal to accept anything other than a guaranteed spot in the starting lineup wherever he plays. It's a stance that only one team was willing to ignore last summer when the 34-year-old was a free agent, but Iverson lasted only three games with the Memphis Grizzlies after signing a one-year deal worth $3.1 million.

There are also concerns about what sort of influence Iverson would be on youngsters such as Jrue Holiday, Thaddeus Young and Marreese Speights and whether he will be able to accept a scaled-back role when Williams returns from injury. It's likewise believed that Iverson and Sixers guard Andre Iguodala did not part on the best terms when Iverson headed to Denver, which could have given Philadelphia further pause.

Jordan, though, doesn't sound concerned at all about how much Iverson has left after 13 seasons of pounding. It seems that he, too, paid little attention to the retirement statement Iverson issued on Thanksgiving eve, presumably in frustration after what sources say he believed was a "done deal" with the Knicks fell through.

Asked what Iverson could bring to the Sixers at this stage of his career, Jordan said: "An aggressive scoring mentality. A guy that could take over games. ... He's a guy that's been to the top, a guy that's been to the Finals, a guy that would be an extra weapon on the floor for us."

After Iverson averaged 12.3 points and 3.7 assists in 22.3 minutes per games in his short Memphis stay -- having missed most of training camp with a partially torn hamstring -- his retirement plans were greeted with considerable leaguewide skepticism, largely because Iverson's statement included claims that there is "a whole lot left in my tank" and his strong belief that he "can still compete at the highest level."

Said Jordan: "We'll see what happens in another few days."

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

ballinbalkman32
12-01-2009, 11:19 AM
good, knicks shuda signed him

Trouble87
12-01-2009, 11:34 AM
good luck to him hope he can salvage his career and reputation

ko8e24
12-01-2009, 01:36 PM
nice, AI returns to the sixers, and returns to face the team that the sixers traded him to exactly 3 yrs ago (December 2006).

Chronz
12-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Im glad to see him on a team that could actually use him and possibly revitalize his career. For all the junk I have to say on him, I really do like the guy, and would love to see him make the playoffs while playing at a high level.

sofargone
12-01-2009, 02:08 PM
i suck dick

theres no need for that man

ko8e24
12-01-2009, 02:28 PM
theres no need for that man

agreed