PDA

View Full Version : Negotiations Hit a Snag: Pacquiao/Foreman in March a Possibility

2009mvp
11-30-2009, 04:03 PM
The negotiations for a possible $80 million super fight between pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao and former No.1 Floyd Mayweather Jr have been stalled and its not because Top Rank promoter Bob Arum and Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer have hit a snag. Its all because of Pacquiao’s reported firm decision to run for a congressional seat in Sarangani.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=23811

Manny Pacquiao may move up to 154-pounds to target a world title shot against undefeated WBA champion Yuri Foreman. Foreman and Pacquiao are both promoted by Top Rank. Roach, who will be in Amir Khan's corner this Saturday, told British press that Floyd Mayweather Jr. doesn't want to fight Pacquiao in March, and Manny doesn't want to wait until May or June to fight again - likely due to a possible election run...

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=23814

This is what's wrong with the sport. Not that we might have to wait until September-ish for a potential Pac/Floyd showdown, but the fact that Pacquiao may move up and take a title away from a guy who's IMO not even a top-5 Jr. Middleweight and be universally praised for it.

jetsforever
11-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Pac Man pussied out?

Raps18-19 Champ
11-30-2009, 08:39 PM
What's so bad about a fight in March that Mayweather doesn't want to go?

2009mvp
11-30-2009, 08:58 PM
How badly will it hurt the sport if we end up with Pacquiao/Foreman and Floyd/Hatton? :puke:

2009mvp
11-30-2009, 09:18 PM
What's so bad about a fight in March that Mayweather doesn't want to go?

It's obviously not that simple. 3 months isn't nearly enough time for a fight of this magnitude, not when you've got to settle on the dollar figures, find a venue, promote the fight, and that's ignoring the time Manny needs to heal and probably a minimum 8-week or so training camp for each of them to prepare. It's in no one's interest to have a fight in March.

steelcityroller
11-30-2009, 10:20 PM
I maintain the same stance I've always had on this fight. I will believe it when I see them staring at each other at the weigh-in.

Wiz kids
12-01-2009, 02:20 AM
This is prolly a dumb Q, but:

If Floyd beats Manny in a hypothetical match, would he be P4P #1?

ccspence8
12-01-2009, 06:45 PM
This is prolly a dumb Q, but:

If Floyd beats Manny in a hypothetical match, would he be P4P #1?

only if he knocks him out

H.E.R.
12-01-2009, 07:35 PM
It's obviously not that simple. 3 months isn't nearly enough time for a fight of this magnitude, not when you've got to settle on the dollar figures, find a venue, promote the fight, and that's ignoring the time Manny needs to heal and probably a minimum 8-week or so training camp for each of them to prepare. It's in no one's interest to have a fight in March.

I highly beg to differ. They have the time. All they have to decide on right now is location and purse split and get their signatures on paper with other roadblocks to be fixed through up to fight night. The fight will sell itself. Judging by the chants after Pacquiao-Cotto, Las Vegas already wants it. I'm sure Dallas would too. Throw another 4-part 24/7 series, let the two boxers hit four cities in America within a week (Something like New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, and either Las Vegas or Dallas), let the promoters blow millions in advertising, and you're good to go.

Pacquiao's going into politics, which is why he's pushing for the fight in March. Neither side's camp controls the Philippines's elections unless Pacquiao himself pulls out, which he won't even if there is $80 million on the table to split. I don't see why Mayweather, who hasn't fought since September and has been in the gym throughout his "retirement" and since the Marquez fight, wouldn't want that. If Mayweather won't accept, Pacquiao will go on to fight for an 8th division title and we'll get to see if Mayweather will really fight Mosley or if Pacquiao's camp called his bluff.

I agree though, if the public doesn't get Pacquiao-Mayweather, I'll surely be pissed.

2009mvp
12-01-2009, 10:29 PM
I knew this was gonna happen, people are looking at this as if Pacquiao's camp have thrown down an ultimatum that it has to happen in March (because of the elections, valid reason no doubt) and it's Floyd's camp who are holding everything up. That's not what's happening. It's not even clear if Floyd was ever given the option of fighting in March. Like I said, this fight is too big to happen in three months, for numerous reasons. Freddie Roach seems to agree, as he's said it's simply not enough time to prepare for Floyd. He wants a tuneup fight at 154 against Foreman in March, then 5 months to rest/take care of the political stuff/prepare for a fight against Floyd in September.

That works out beautifully for Pacman, who gets to move up and fight the weakest titleholder at 154 whom he'll easily outclass, take his belt and garner universal acclaim for the whole 8 belts/8 weightclass stuff and then prepare for Floyd. Works out beautifully for the promoters, who've got all summer to build this one up and secure the reported 30,000 seat outdoor venue that'll be built in Vegas. In the end it's Floyd who really gets screwed by this. Everyone will point to Mosley/Berto as his other option, but by the time that one happens at the tail-end of January the time-table for Manny/Floyd will **** it all up. Remember, no one wants to be pushing that one back all the way to late 2010/early 2011. What would be awesome is if he were to pull Williams all the way down to welterweight (assuming Williams wins Saturday night, which is certainly no given) and fight him, but I don't see how anyone could blame him for not jeopardizing the biggest purse in the history of the sport with such a dangerous fight. So what'll happen is he'll end up fighting a scrub like Hatton, just like Pacquiao is, except Pac's victory will spark more conversation about where he ranks among the all-time greats while Floyd's victory will be met with one big "who gives a ****." In truth, they're careers up to this point have probably earned themselves those reactions, but still, it's Floyd who ends up losing here.

jetsforever
12-01-2009, 10:41 PM
I knew this was gonna happen, people are looking at this as if Pacquiao's camp have thrown down an ultimatum that it has to happen in March (because of the elections, valid reason no doubt) and it's Floyd's camp who are holding everything up. That's not what's happening. It's not even clear if Floyd was ever given the option of fighting in March. Like I said, this fight is too big to happen in three months, for numerous reasons. Freddie Roach seems to agree, as he's said it's simply not enough time to prepare for Floyd. He wants a tuneup fight at 154 against Foreman in March, then 5 months to rest/take care of the political stuff/prepare for a fight against Floyd in September.

That works out beautifully for Pacman, who gets to move up and fight the weakest titleholder at 154 whom he'll easily outclass, take his belt and garner universal acclaim for the whole 8 belts/8 weightclass stuff and then prepare for Floyd. Works out beautifully for the promoters, who've got all summer to build this one up and secure the reported 30,000 seat outdoor venue that'll be built in Vegas. In the end it's Floyd who really gets screwed by this. Everyone will point to Mosley/Berto as his other option, but by the time that one happens at the tail-end of January the time-table for Manny/Floyd will **** it all up. Remember, no one wants to be pushing that one back all the way to late 2010/early 2011. What would be awesome is if he were to pull Williams all the way down to welterweight (assuming Williams wins Saturday night, which is certainly no given) and fight him, but I don't see how anyone could blame him for not jeopardizing the biggest purse in the history of the sport with such a dangerous fight. So what'll happen is he'll end up fighting a scrub like Hatton, just like Pacquiao is, except Pac's victory will spark more conversation about where he ranks among the all-time greats while Floyd's victory will be met with one big "who gives a ****." In truth, they're careers up to this point have probably earned themselves those reactions, but still, it's Floyd who ends up losing here.

The boxing forum here will blame the 2nd World War on Floyd Mayweather

ABOMB_56
12-01-2009, 10:57 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=Aqswq5AUVxtWE1cERBqgYW05nYcB?slug=ki-floydpac120109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Looks like it is on for March 13

jetsforever
12-01-2009, 11:22 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=Aqswq5AUVxtWE1cERBqgYW05nYcB?slug=ki-floydpac120109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

:jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy:

:):D:):D:):D:):):D:):):D:):D:):D:)

This is going to be a good one

H.E.R.
12-01-2009, 11:25 PM

There. Everyone happy? I knew Mayweather wouldn't turn down a March bout. That actually works in his favor with Pacquiao having the more recent match. As long as both signatures are on the paper, everything could start falling into place during the boxers' training camps and tours.

2009mvp
12-01-2009, 11:29 PM
:laugh2: If this is indeed true: Foot, meet mouth.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/boxing/article6938146.ece

:shrug: I guess Pac basically said who cares what Freddie thinks.

H.E.R.
12-01-2009, 11:32 PM
:shrug: I guess Pac basically said who cares what Freddie thinks.

I'd be willing to bet Pacquiao would've went down this road if negotiations with Mayweather's camp soured and had he not wanted to enter politics. He was looking at two more fights and call it a career.

jetsforever
12-01-2009, 11:35 PM
:laugh2: at Roach

The GEEEEE Men
12-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Sources saying Mayweather agreed to terms for title bout

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4705330

jetsforever
12-02-2009, 12:51 AM
Should be at 147 according to the ESPN link

AddiX
12-02-2009, 02:19 AM
LoL at Top Rank saying Pac could fight Foreman, or PBF could fight Matt Hatton, no way they risk a megafight like this for two fights no one cares about.

This is normal for big fights like this, its just boxing politics at its best.

2009mvp
12-31-2009, 03:48 PM
^^~30 days later and that looks exactly like what's gonna happen. Let the "Pac's too small for Foreman" talk begin, until the 3rd round when Foreman's on his back and the world proclaims another "incredible performance" by Pac and he adds another meaningless belt to his collection of 7. Never mind that Foreman's a lanky, pillow-punching super WW who's yet to fight anyone of note. Never mind that there's a slew of WW's and Jr. WW's who would make a better fight.

As for Floyd/Hatton? Don't get me started on that atrocity, though there's still hope that with Mayweather's camp locked into a March 13 Vegas date they realize Americans won't pay to see M. Hatton.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-31-2009, 06:13 PM
Mayweather vs Mosley/Cotto is what I am hoping for.

If Manny/Foreman happens.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-31-2009, 06:19 PM
And as much as I would like to see the fight as soon as possible, it would be better near the end of the year.

Gives both fighters some time to recover and more build up for the fight.

I'd like it if Manny faced Mosley/Marquez and Mayweather to face Cotto/Mosley though before the fight happens.

2009mvp
12-31-2009, 07:35 PM
A) You're assuming that Mosley beats Berto next month (certainly no given), and Floyd drops his March date to wait on a guy he's said publicly isn't a draw and who he'll never fight. Seriously, seriously doubt that would ever happen.
B) Arum will not negotiate with Floyd for Cotto/Mayweather. Just won't happen. They'll renegotiate over Pac/Floyd down the line, but I think I can say with certain they won't talk Cotto.

H.E.R.
01-01-2010, 04:29 PM
As for Floyd/Hatton? Don't get me started on that atrocity, though there's still hope that with Mayweather's camp locked into a March 13 Vegas date they realize Americans won't pay to see M. Hatton.

Who cares? Both Hattons have a solid following in the UK, where the bout will probably take place. Their currency is also better. Gate split alone will be very high.