PDA

View Full Version : Iverson didnt respect the game.

skinsfan4life80
11-30-2009, 02:10 PM
There is a good read about Iverson that is different then most but brings up some good points. Says Iverson didnt respect the game.

http://www.playersvoice.com/nba/allen-iverson.html

GodsSon
11-30-2009, 02:16 PM
really good, actually

arkanian215
11-30-2009, 02:24 PM
good read.

albertc86
11-30-2009, 02:29 PM
I think he respected the game. The game didn't respect him. All his off-court antics are irrelevant. The guy was a hell of a basketball player and still is to some degree. I think we all enjoyed watching him play during his Philly years.

Turtle55
11-30-2009, 02:36 PM
I completely agree with the title of this thread but it's going to get ugly in here pretty fast. Iverson has a crazy loyal following.

Iodine
11-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Hide before the AI-lites rip this thread and gives den unneeded work

Still a good read

skinsfan4life80
11-30-2009, 02:45 PM
you can tell the people who read it and the ones who didnt. If your just going to say yea Iverson respected the game and not read the artilce or debate the points it makes there really is not point in even commenting. IMO The article makes great points and has examples.

But im sure people are just going to go crazy and support Iverson when the article didnt even bash Iverson. Some people just have to say something on every single thread

skinsfan4life80
11-30-2009, 02:47 PM
I think he respected the game. The game didn't respect him. All his off-court antics are irrelevant. The guy was a hell of a basketball player and still is to some degree. I think we all enjoyed watching him play during his Philly years.

Being late for practice and blowing of team meetings is not eirrelevant

pippsux
11-30-2009, 03:00 PM
Let the young players watch and learn what happens when you are a me first player who constantly battles with EVERY coach he ever had. I bet you if John Thompson was nudged a little he would tell stories of AI's antics.

Big whoop! So he can score a lot and is a hip hop icon (if Jalen Rose says that one more time!) or he has cool tattoos and cornrows and street cred, big freaking deal. Nobody wants your drama or issues. He disrespected the game by putting himself above it, now he is putting his tail between his legs and retiring. Go to Europe and come back in a year, that might save his legacy and career.

I think he will go down as one of the greatest players without a ring. Now if he really wanted a ring, there are three teams he can almost guarantee that, Boston, Spurs or Lakers. But wait, he would have to come off the bench and he can't and won't do that.

This is as bad as Jordan wearing the wiz unis and never leading them to the playoffs, then getting fired and kicked out because the team hated him. No one player has really come out and said, I WANT AI on my team. Nobody has gone to his house, courted him or even approached him despite the fact that there are teams out there that could use a scorer at a cheap price. Nobody wants to play with him and nobody really wants him on their team. Teams like the Knicks and Memphis thought about it and one even signed him, then of course "AI do what he do" left another franchise in his wake. Pistons and Nuggets will attest to that, if they are being honest.

lowdown32
11-30-2009, 03:01 PM
practice! we startin threads about practice now

bigvdebo86
11-30-2009, 03:02 PM
wow horrible read kobe was blessed with the best big man ever and the best coach ever so how can you compare iverson and kobe

Gibby23
11-30-2009, 03:03 PM
He respects the game. I was watching Eric Snow talk about Iverson last week on NBA T.V. He said Iverson wants to win a championship but is against taking the easy way out and going to a team like the Lakers, Boston, or Orlando where he would have a shot to win one without doing much. He want's to earn it.

Pierzynski4Prez
11-30-2009, 03:05 PM
great article, true stuff

^^about Eric Snow's comment, if AI wants to win that way, he will be in the NBA to his mid-40s.

skinsfan4life80
11-30-2009, 03:09 PM
wow horrible read kobe was blessed with the best big man ever and the best coach ever so how can you compare iverson and kobe

What does that have to do with respecting the game? Kobe works harder then anyone no matter who his coach or teammates are. When you bump heads with every single coach you have to start thinking its you.

pd7631
11-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Why are 2 of the greatest coaches ever backing him up? Why aren't there any players saying that AI is a bad guy and that they would never play with him?

Lou Williams, Willie Green, Jrue Holiday, and Andre Iguodala have all come out and said that they would welcome him back to Philly.

I agree with the article in that AI can't find a job right now because of his past actions. But his play on the court, and the way his teammates and coaches have spoken about him says more about the guy than the fears owners and GM's are showing for AI.

The only people that don't appreciate him are no name loser coaches(Randy Ayers, Michael Curry, Lionel Hollins, Mo Cheeks, Chris Ford, Johnny Davis), and team owners, most of whom have no idea what the **** basketball is.

Allen wants to win, and he wants to win so badly that he is not afraid to call out his coaches if they suck(every coach he's ever called out is a loser).

nrwskinny
11-30-2009, 03:16 PM
There is a group of players out there that just are black balled for whatever reason...A.I. is one of them.

skinsfan4life80
11-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Iverson isnt a bad guy at all. And all of his teammates love him. And noone questions if he wants to win. The problem is he doesnt do what it takes to win. Just showing up isnt enough. When he blew off that thanksgiving practice he lost me there. It doesnt get anymore disrespectfull to your teammates then that. Im sure Rasheed and the rrest of the team didnt want to be there any more then he did but they all showed up except him. I think that was the final nail in the coffin. They said he was fined over 80 times by the sixers for breaking team rules. Clearly he doesnt care about the rules and it doesnt just work like that. Sure he is a great player but titles arent only won on the court they are won in the locker room and on the practice courts. He says he wants to win but what is he doing to get better. Kobe has already won 4 titles and he is trying to add post moves to his game. Lebron is working on jumper Dirk is working on his post game what has Iverson ever worked on.

albertc86
11-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Being late for practice and blowing of team meetings is not eirrelevant

He was still the best player on the team and better than most the league, right? Do you think he became as good as he did by not practicing? Give me a break. I agree, that the whole practice thing was out of line, but it didn't take anything away from him as an individual player.

Iverson played through injuries and was fearless. Yeah, he didn't respect the game. He put his body on the line out of spite and disrespect for the game. You want disrespect? Vince Carter.

Ray_R
11-30-2009, 03:24 PM

this is suppose to be about iverson not practice now we gonna talk about practice....Practice... :laugh:

thephoenixson28
11-30-2009, 03:40 PM
I'm happy iverson didn't change for anyone. That's not his style they were asking him to be fake and he wasn't having that. Its unfortunate that he did miss practices, meetings, and showed up to games late, but he whore is heart on his sleeve. I hope he finds a job, I wouldn't mind him in phoenix but a backup to nash.

ragee
11-30-2009, 03:41 PM
He was still the best player on the team and better than most the league, right? Do you think he became as good as he did by not practicing? Give me a break. I agree, that the whole practice thing was out of line, but it didn't take anything away from him as an individual player.

Iverson played through injuries and was fearless. Yeah, he didn't respect the game. He put his body on the line out of spite and disrespect for the game. You want disrespect? Vince Carter.

He may be the best player in the league playng one on one but look at the Denver-Detroit trade... The Nuggets were nowhere near they are right now when AI was still there... When Billups came, he started influencing players and great improvement soon followed... Sure, when it comes to skills, maybe AI is so much better than Billups but basketball is not just about dribbling and shooting the basketball... Billups showed that in Denver... Hard work, Good leadership and teamwork can win games too...

Not showing up to practices may not influence his game at all but it can influence people around him, including his teammates, in a negative way... Basketball is not a one man game...

Iodine
11-30-2009, 04:13 PM

Never call shaq the best big man ever:facepalm:

C_Mund
11-30-2009, 05:46 PM
He may be the best player in the league playng one on one but look at the Denver-Detroit trade... The Nuggets were nowhere near they are right now when AI was still there... When Billups came, he started influencing players and great improvement soon followed... Sure, when it comes to skills, maybe AI is so much better than Billups but basketball is not just about dribbling and shooting the basketball... Billups showed that in Denver... Hard work, Good leadership and teamwork can win games too...

Not showing up to practices may not influence his game at all but it can influence people around him, including his teammates, in a negative way... Basketball is not a one man game...

True...but what people are forgetting is the type of team Iverson inherited when he joined the league, the type of team he dragged by the braid-rows to the finals. If you had Chauncey Billups (absolutely NO disrespect to the man or the player) leading Aaron Mckey, Tyrone Hill, and George Lynch, there's NO WAY that team would have made it past the first round. Iverson became who he was because of the situation he was put in. I'm not saying he shouldn't change, but he's a hall-of-famer for who he is, not what he became.
Don't forget that Kobe used to be a punk who scored, wasn't a great defender and wasn't doubled because of Shaq. Had AI that luxury, he might have won six championships and not run the Diesel out of town. We'll never know.

C_Mund
11-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Never call shaq the best big man ever:facepalm:

Who is? Russel, because of his 'chips? That's like saying Bob Cousy is better than Jordan. No argument is a given, meaning that taking any side doesn't deserve a facepalm. I think whoever invented those ******** emoticons (or uses them as the basis for an argument) deserves the real facepalm.

dhype14
11-30-2009, 06:07 PM
NO hates ALLEN IVERSON is one the greatest player in the NBA. Bring him back to Philly.

Ni55anpat
11-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Another A.I hater - Keep the threads going, it's fun.

MonJackson
11-30-2009, 07:09 PM
Who is? Russel, because of his 'chips? That's like saying Bob Cousy is better than Jordan. No argument is a given, meaning that taking any side doesn't deserve a facepalm. I think whoever invented those ******** emoticons (or uses them as the basis for an argument) deserves the real facepalm.

Kids on here loves to use the :facepalm: I think it makes them feel good about themselves. Who knows?

ink
11-30-2009, 07:22 PM
When Iverson was packing arenas all over with number 3 jerseys, winning scoring titles, and breaking ankles, no one ever thought it would come to this, but it did. The game has a funny way of working like that. Kobe Bryant and Iverson both entered the NBA in the same year but with different goals. Iverson entered knowing he was better than everyone just by showing up while Kobe wanted to work to be the best who ever played. 13 years after being drafted, Kobe is regarded as the best player in the game and Iverson is looking for a job. Respect for the game is the reason that Grant Hill with two bum ankles at age 37 still starts on a first place team. Respect for the game is the reason that even at the twilight of their careers, Michael Finley and Ray Allen still started on Championship teams. It’s the reason that Derek Fisher who was drafted the same year is staring on the Lakers, while the much more talented Iverson and Stephon Marbury sit at home. It’s the reason that at 36, Jason Kidd still has teams lining up for his services.

This.

-----

Let's stay on topic here ... this is a great article.

BkOriginalOne
11-30-2009, 07:37 PM
AI's demanor made him the type of player that he was, and he was GREAT.
His deal is that his legacy and his current pure ability (aside from perceived PR) is not being respected.
27ppg for a career and still needs work after 2 bad stints, spanning from just over 1 year.

I hope he returns to phili and balances out his game, it would be the most talented team that he has played for, where he is def, the man.
Iverson
Iggy
Thad Young
Brand
Dalembert (hopefully they can trade up for a better Big)

RaiderLakersA's
11-30-2009, 07:43 PM
It's in some superstars' natures to think that they ARE the game.

Jamiecballer
11-30-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm happy iverson didn't change for anyone. That's not his style they were asking him to be fake and he wasn't having that. Its unfortunate that he did miss practices, meetings, and showed up to games late, but he whore is heart on his sleeve. I hope he finds a job, I wouldn't mind him in phoenix but a backup to nash.

thats funny. you said "he whore". giggle.

skinsfan4life80
11-30-2009, 07:54 PM
This.

-----

Let's stay on topic here ... this is a great article.

I am AI fan and I agree 100 percent. There is no denying the truth.

junion
11-30-2009, 08:13 PM
allen iverson has pure talent, and is a great player, but talent is only one aspect of a good player.

i agree that his off the court antics don't have to do with playing, but when he ditches practice, it's hard to say he's a good teammate. I'm sure he probably doesn't NEED practice, but his teammates do - and with him. If they're missing a big part of they're team in practice, you can't expect them to just gel together. This means he can respect the gaem, but this is disrespectful to the other players.

That also goes with what happened in Memphis. They have a nice young core that has to get playing time to learn, etc. AI didn't want to be a bench player, but that's what he had to do.

There's a way f calling out your coaches or players if you think they suck.. And that's to do it internally... You don't go in public... There's nothing wrong with it internally.

It's a shame Iverson would go like this. He's a great player, but he needs to check his attitude at the door If he wants to be successful

Hawkeye15
11-30-2009, 08:21 PM
I believe Allen respects the game, but he sometimes thinks he comes first, at all costs. Anyone who has watched him play realized he was trying to win. I think that he reacts very poorly to adversity, almost like a small child, but his heart is huge, and he plays to win. Period.

KnicksorBust
11-30-2009, 08:28 PM
allen iverson has pure talent, and is a great player, but talent is only one aspect of a good player.

i agree that his off the court antics don't have to do with playing, but when he ditches practice, it's hard to say he's a good teammate. I'm sure he probably doesn't NEED practice, but his teammates do - and with him. If they're missing a big part of they're team in practice, you can't expect them to just gel together. This means he can respect the gaem, but this is disrespectful to the other players.

That also goes with what happened in Memphis. They have a nice young core that has to get playing time to learn, etc. AI didn't want to be a bench player, but that's what he had to do.

There's a way f calling out your coaches or players if you think they suck.. And that's to do it internally... You don't go in public... There's nothing wrong with it internally.

It's a shame Iverson would go like this. He's a great player, but he needs to check his attitude at the door If he wants to be successful

Practicing with your team makes your team better and you better with your team. I agree.

He's always needed the perfect situation to succeed. The stars aligned in 2001 and he didn't stand a chance. He's a fighter but he's not a winner.

Iodine
11-30-2009, 08:29 PM

No Russel Isnt

Kareem

Look if you really want an arguement Ill make a nice and neat essay, or you can save us all the trouble of it and sit down

Oh and Cousy is the most overated legendary PG ever

Iodine
11-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Kids on here loves to use the :facepalm: I think it makes them feel good about themselves. Who knows?

Im probably old enough to be your dad

pd7631
11-30-2009, 08:33 PM
No Russel Isnt

Kareem

Look if you really want an arguement Ill make a nice and neat essay, or you can save us all the trouble of it and sit down

Oh and Cousy is the most overated legendary PG ever

Wilt.

Iodine
11-30-2009, 08:37 PM
Wilt.

No.

Unless a team killing coach throwing guy who is so obbsessed with stats that his goal is to toss up the best stats. When he was a good teamate(72 lakers and around) he was possibly the scariest player ever, but He was to consumed with stats and throwing teamates under the bus

levignjw
11-30-2009, 08:45 PM
He respects the game. I was watching Eric Snow talk about Iverson last week on NBA T.V. He said Iverson wants to win a championship but is against taking the easy way out and going to a team like the Lakers, Boston, or Orlando where he would have a shot to win one without doing much. He want's to earn it.

Single handedly one of the biggest lines of BS I have ever seen.

Great article.

EaglesJackson10
11-30-2009, 08:46 PM
I dont know how a guy who went out and gave everything he had, every game, all game didnt respect the game.

ink
11-30-2009, 09:33 PM
I dont know how a guy who went out and gave everything he had, every game, all game didnt respect the game.

Because the game is not a solo game. You respect the game by working hard OFF THE COURT to improve yourself and mostly to improve your knowledge of the TEAM game that it is. Read the article, and especially, read this part:

Kobe Bryant and Iverson both entered the NBA in the same year but with different goals. Iverson entered knowing he was better than everyone just by showing up while Kobe wanted to work to be the best who ever played. 13 years after being drafted, Kobe is regarded as the best player in the game and Iverson is looking for a job. Respect for the game is the reason that Grant Hill with two bum ankles at age 37 still starts on a first place team. Respect for the game is the reason that even at the twilight of their careers, Michael Finley and Ray Allen still started on Championship teams. It’s the reason that Derek Fisher who was drafted the same year is staring on the Lakers, while the much more talented Iverson and Stephon Marbury sit at home. It’s the reason that at 36, Jason Kidd still has teams lining up for his services.

ko8e24
11-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Allen Iverson respects the game IMO, but that's just me. The article may say otherwise, but wuteva

heyman321
11-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Why are 2 of the greatest coaches ever backing him up? Why aren't there any players saying that AI is a bad guy and that they would never play with him?

Lou Williams, Willie Green, Jrue Holiday, and Andre Iguodala have all come out and said that they would welcome him back to Philly.

I agree with the article in that AI can't find a job right now because of his past actions. But his play on the court, and the way his teammates and coaches have spoken about him says more about the guy than the fears owners and GM's are showing for AI.

The only people that don't appreciate him are no name loser coaches(Randy Ayers, Michael Curry, Lionel Hollins, Mo Cheeks, Chris Ford, Johnny Davis), and team owners, most of whom have no idea what the **** basketball is.

Allen wants to win, and he wants to win so badly that he is not afraid to call out his coaches if they suck(every coach he's ever called out is a loser).

Says the man with the AI sig :laugh:

Hawkeye15
11-30-2009, 10:03 PM
Because the game is not a solo game. You respect the game by working hard OFF THE COURT to improve yourself and mostly to improve your knowledge of the TEAM game that it is. Read the article, and especially, read this part:

this is a great point, and is what is keeping Iverson from being a top player ever. But when he does get on the floor, he plays to win. That being said, you are 100000% correct.

pd7631
11-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Says the man with the AI sig :laugh:

What did I say there that isn't true?

Kakaroach
11-30-2009, 11:08 PM
Iverson respects the game he comes in and plays hard every night, he just needs to learn his new role now.

kblo247
11-30-2009, 11:26 PM
Iverson respects the game he comes in and plays hard every night, he just needs to learn his new role now.

Playing at your highest level to win with no regard for bettering your team has a lot more to do with respecting yourself than the game.

Respecting the game would be spending hours on film, training hard every off season to make your strengths and weaknesses stronger, practicing hard with your team and leading by example instead of skipping them and saying "I'm the franchise playa and we talkin bout practice, not a game but practice."

Someone who respects the game knows that practice would form a bond between him and his teammates and then he may have been able to succeed and be a cohesive duo with another offensive player like Hughes, Stackhouse, Kukoc, Robinson, Van Horn, or Webber instead of being a guy doing his thing outside of the system which has always been his problem.

If he spent his time practicing he may have been on more successful and potent teams besides the one that made the finals because they were all defensive minded first and as a result let him jack up shots.

Not preparing for a game, not being able to blend into a team concept, having spats with multiple coaches, and waving a white flag on his last 2 teams are disrespectful to the game no matter how much of a warrior AI was in his days in Phili.

Am I saying he is totally selfish and doesn't want to win, no but I am saying that he has done far less to show the game and his peers the respect that he wishes to garner for his career as a whole.

C_Mund
11-30-2009, 11:40 PM
Im probably old enough to be your dad

Man, I wish my dad listened to slaughterhouse!
Not that I'm a huge fan, but at least Royce is dope

ink
11-30-2009, 11:42 PM
Playing at your highest level to win with no regard for bettering your team has a lot more to do with respecting yourself than the game.

Respecting the game would be spending hours on film, training hard every off season to make your strengths and weaknesses stronger, practicing hard with your team and leading by example instead of skipping them and saying "I'm the franchise playa and we talkin bout practice, not a game but practice."

Someone who respects the game knows that practice would form a bond between him and his teammates and then he may have been able to succeed and be a cohesive duo with another offensive player like Hughes, Stackhouse, Kukoc, Robinson, Van Horn, or Webber instead of being a guy doing his thing outside of the system which has always been his problem.

If he spent his time practicing he may have been on more successful and potent teams besides the one that made the finals because they were all defensive minded first and as a result let him jack up shots.

Not preparing for a game, not being able to blend into a team concept, having spats with multiple coaches, and waving a white flag on his last 2 teams are disrespectful to the game no matter how much of a warrior AI was in his days in Phili.

Am I saying he is totally selfish and doesn't want to win, no but I am saying that he has done far less to show the game and his peers the respect that he wishes to garner for his career as a whole.

Great post. Very well said.

Stunner
12-01-2009, 12:35 AM

Dis is all true but u fail to realize Iverson never really practiced his whole life, every offseason while others train to get better Iverson didnt have to cuz he was always good and it came natural to him. When Iverson said Practice we talking bout Practice it was pretaining to him not his other teammates i think, he meant it like he was to good to practice he didnt need it cuz he knew he was better than everyone he faced. Like i said dis is all true to what u are saying but u fail to metion Mike was selfish, Kobe was selfish, and there career, jus cuz dey didnt show it as much as Iverson did cuz face it he had less talent around him den those two had. Iveron never had a legit number 2 next to who was even close to him. Mike has Pippen, Kobe had Shaq. Late Iverson had early Melo who was still good but not as good as he is now. Dis is what makes Iverson different from other superstars he says what on his mind , and to say that man doesnt want to win, i dont understand how u can play your heart out and not want to win as much as dat man did. Fans can say all dis **** bout him but nobody really knows what that man thinks and how he feels bout anything and for people to sit on dis forum and not play in the NBA and know how it feels to play your best and your teammates dont show up every game and u have to carry da team u jus dont understant what that can do to a person. Who care if he not following everbody else dats what makes Allen Iverson A.I., im glad we have dis type of player dat made an impact on the league who was an outlaw. Dis man loves to win even didnt respect then why does he still want to play to win, sure as hell not the money he has plenty of dat.

KnickVeteran
12-01-2009, 01:42 AM
Form of discrimination at it's finest.

EaglesJackson10
12-01-2009, 01:45 AM

OFF THE COURT isn't the game the phrase that the author continues to emphasize. All that cliche ******** your feeding me is over hyped in basketball. Allen had knowledge of the game when these guys get to the NBA level they know how to play and iverson did improve himself don't take away his work ethic cause guy aren't born 30 point career scorers in the NBA. He might not have respected the NBA and the teams he played for but he respected THE GAME by playing his heart out every night.

ink
12-01-2009, 01:56 AM
OFF THE COURT isn't the game the phrase that the author continues to emphasize. All that cliche ******** your feeding me is over hyped in basketball. Allen had knowledge of the game when these guys get to the NBA level they know how to play and iverson did improve himself don't take away his work ethic cause guy aren't born 30 point career scorers in the NBA. He might not have respected the NBA and the teams he played for but he respected THE GAME by playing his heart out every night.

You're completely missing the point of the article. Read it if you haven't already. Iverson and his fans can't look beyond the HIMSELF part of the equation. That's exactly why he's unemployed now. At least there are a few AI fans who acknowledge that in this thread. No one is even talking about playing his heart out every night.

That is the true cliche when talking about Allen Iverson.

It's assumed that players "play their hearts out" every night. That's what they get paid for. But he put himself and his efforts ahead of the game, his teammates, and his coaches. He was and still is going to stubbornly do it his way, and that's where he has disrespected the game. He is the poster boy for just not getting how to collaborate with other people. What he and his fans still don't realize is that it's NOT-ABOUT-HIM. It's not about playing his heart out as if he's all alone on the court. The fact that he still doesn't realize that is so ironic its not even funny.

_KB24_
12-01-2009, 02:34 AM
I'll be the "Kanye" here, but isn't it impossible to "respect" an inanimate object?

skinsfan4life80
12-01-2009, 03:07 AM
Allen Iverson respects the game IMO, but that's just me. The article may say otherwise, but wuteva

Why would you dispute an article that you didnt even read? Thats just dumb all the Iversons who didnt even read the artilce dont even get it just like Iverson...thats why your Iverson fans. You dont even want to take the time to read an article before you discuss you just want to show up and run your mouth with out doing your homework.

Mrphilly
12-01-2009, 03:52 AM
This article is stupid. Some of the reasons that he uses as AI not respecting the game are silly to me.

Ok, so Iverson doesn't respect the game because he didn't work as hard as Kobe Bryant. They acknowledge he plays hard and leaves everything out on the floor, but since he isn't the best player in the game today, he doesn't respect the game. What about the rest of the players in that draft that are not Kobe Bryant? I guess they don't respect it either.

Iverson is a lock for the Hall of fame, but he doesn't practice, he doesn't make his teammates better, he is selfish. C'MON REALLY? Is he that bad???

He says Grant Hill, Jason Kidd and. Ray allen are still in the league because they respect the game. Really? I was under the impression that they were still in the league because they can still play.

Shaq is still playing of of natural ability, he still can't make a shot outside the paint or a free throw. I guess he doesn't respect the game.

He says AI doesn't have a job because the guys that were at practice when he blew it off are coaches and front office people now. Really??? Like Aaron Mckie, who is one of Iversonls best friends and is endorsing his return.

Bottom line is, if this article is true AI hasn't respected the game for a long time now, but he still managed to be one of the faces of game that people claim he doesnt respect.

Respect or lack of respect is not what keeps you in or out of the NBA. So this article is pointless

WhiteSoxGod
12-01-2009, 05:02 AM
This is a great article. Iverson doesn't really respect anything: his coaches, his teammates, the law, his wife he beat.... It's sad when people look up to this thug criminal and then say that he is a great player when the guy he is a disease and a joke. A.I. is just a sad human being... And if you disagree with me then you're probably racist (LOL Fox News Red Eye Greg Gutfeld Gregologue JOKE)

JayW_1023
12-01-2009, 06:08 AM
I truly well written article. I wholeheartedly agree. If Iverson truly cared about winning he would accept a lesser role at this stage of his career. If he truly cared more about winning over minutes and shots...he would have a job now. But it's obvious he believes the world still revolves around Allen Iverson. Iverson just doesn't know how to win...he hasn't been a winner in years. People always emphasize the 2001 finals...but that had more to do with Larry Browns coaching than anything else.

When was the last time he led a team deep in the postseason? Everytime coaches paired him with a viable second option the team was in disarray. Iverson has the talent to win a game by himself...but most of the time his selfish mentality hurt his team more than it helped. More often he would take his team out of the game. The guy will always be a sideshow...like Pistol Pete.

skinsfan4life80
12-01-2009, 09:35 AM
This article is stupid. Some of the reasons that he uses as AI not respecting the game are silly to me.

Ok, so Iverson doesn't respect the game because he didn't work as hard as Kobe Bryant. They acknowledge he plays hard and leaves everything out on the floor, but since he isn't the best player in the game today, he doesn't respect the game. What about the rest of the players in that draft that are not Kobe Bryant? I guess they don't respect it either.

Iverson is a lock for the Hall of fame, but he doesn't practice, he doesn't make his teammates better, he is selfish. C'MON REALLY? Is he that bad???

He says Grant Hill, Jason Kidd and. Ray allen are still in the league because they respect the game. Really? I was under the impression that they were still in the league because they can still play.

Shaq is still playing of of natural ability, he still can't make a shot outside the paint or a free throw. I guess he doesn't respect the game.

He says AI doesn't have a job because the guys that were at practice when he blew it off are coaches and front office people now. Really??? Like Aaron Mckie, who is one of Iversonls best friends and is endorsing his return.

Bottom line is, if this article is true AI hasn't respected the game for a long time now, but he still managed to be one of the faces of game that people claim he doesnt respect.

Respect or lack of respect is not what keeps you in or out of the NBA. So this article is pointless

You just dont get it. There in the league because still can play yes Iverson can play better then all of them and he is not in league. The difference is teams want Hill, Kidd, Allen around there younger players...nobody wants Iverson around there locker room. The Nuggets didnt want him, then the last two teams he was on just flat out told him go home we are better without you and if we arent who cares we just dont want you period. Iverson is still one the best scorers in the hands down why do you think it is no one wants him around ?

ragee
12-01-2009, 04:39 PM
True...but what people are forgetting is the type of team Iverson inherited when he joined the league, the type of team he dragged by the braid-rows to the finals. If you had Chauncey Billups (absolutely NO disrespect to the man or the player) leading Aaron Mckey, Tyrone Hill, and George Lynch, there's NO WAY that team would have made it past the first round. Iverson became who he was because of the situation he was put in. I'm not saying he shouldn't change, but he's a hall-of-famer for who he is, not what he became.
Don't forget that Kobe used to be a punk who scored, wasn't a great defender and wasn't doubled because of Shaq. Had AI that luxury, he might have won six championships and not run the Diesel out of town. We'll never know.

Man, I hate it when people make me defend Kobe!!! :mad: I hate this guy! Kobe was nowhere near Iverson when he entered the league... However, with PRACTICE, he continued to improve... He was doing all the things AI was not doing... With all of those, he got respect from teammates, his coach and everyone around him... With all those things, he was able to become arguably the best player in the league right now...

If AI had Shaq, it would be a complete travesty... The only reason Kobe and Shaq worked for a couple of years was because Kobe was not that good yet and does not have the ego yet to clash with Shaq... Just imagine what Shaq would do when he comes to practice on thanksgiving and finds that AI was not there... What do you think will happen?

On the Billups issue, true.. If Billups was put on the Sixers back then, he might have not made it past the 1st round... That lineup was perfect for AI... A bunch of role players who doesn't have the ego to clash with AI... That lineup is all about AI... Everyone just focuses on doing their role and just watch AI score... Now, why don't we put AI on the Pistons championship team? Do you think they could have beaten the Lakers? I don't think so...

Lastly, I have to agree with you that AI is a future hall of famer... I am not doubting his skills coz that guy can really score... All I am saying is his personality is one of the reasons why he is unemployed right now... He needs to be a team player.. It is not all about him all the time...

Jaji
12-01-2009, 05:26 PM

:laugh:

Jaji
12-01-2009, 05:32 PM
The article made some good points but the thread title is wrong. Iverson didn't respect the game because he refused to sell out and change who he was? Iverson is a basketball player. Period. He's not a Fortune 500 company CEO. Basketball is a sport that is played in every park, every school yard, every driveway, or on every portable hoop pulled out into the street. The NBA disrespected the game by turning it into a billion dollar corporation. The game changed for the worst the first time they stopped play to go to commercial break.

skinsfan4life80
12-01-2009, 09:01 PM
The article made some good points but the thread title is wrong. Iverson didn't respect the game because he refused to sell out and change who he was? Iverson is a basketball player. Period. He's not a Fortune 500 company CEO. Basketball is a sport that is played in every park, every school yard, every driveway, or on every portable hoop pulled out into the street. The NBA disrespected the game by turning it into a billion dollar corporation. The game changed for the worst the first time they stopped play to go to commercial break.

Those breaks are what make the best basketball players in the world millionares. If you think going to practice on time is selling out then good luck to you in life buddy. You sleep in tomorrow or better yet just skip work all together dont be a sell out keep real..so that way you can be real unemployed.

levignjw
12-01-2009, 09:35 PM

Um, so by transforming the NBA into a marketable and successful business entity somehow now the NBA is at fault?

SteveNash
12-01-2009, 09:36 PM

Iverson didn't respect the game because of his selfishness. Now he certainly wasn't the first selfish basketball players, but he did seem to be the first one to revel in his selfishness.

Raph12
12-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Good read... but I do respectfully disagree on some points.

skinsfan4life80
12-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Good read... but I do respectfully disagree on some points.

which ones

loufor2
12-01-2009, 10:41 PM
redskins suck! Wizards Suck! Nats Suck. Your hockey team is NICE tho

Raph12
12-01-2009, 10:43 PM
which ones

Iverson and Kobe had different paths on their way to being called "the best player in the league" but both were selfish when it came to hogging the spotlight. Kobe is as selfish as players come when individual glory is to be had, as is Lebron, Melo, Wade and a lot of other great players, it comes with the territory of being a star.

I totally agree with his lack of respect for the league and his team, by not showing up to team meetings, practises, games, etc... but Iverson brought individuality into the NBA, with his tatoos, braids, chains, etc..

The NBA is getting WAY too strict with the things the players are allowed to do, on and off the court. AI isn't perfect, that's a given, but he did respect the game, he just didn't respect the league.

skinsfan4life80
12-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Iverson and Kobe had different paths on their way to being called "the best player in the league" but both were selfish when it came to hogging the spotlight. Kobe is as selfish as players come when individual glory is to be had, as is Lebron, Melo, Wade and a lot of other great players, it comes with the territory of being a star.

I totally agree with his lack of respect for the league and his team, by not showing up to team meetings, practises, games, etc... but Iverson brought individuality into the NBA, with his tatoos, braids, chains, etc..

The NBA is getting WAY too strict with the things the players are allowed to do, on and off the court. AI isn't perfect, that's a given, but he did respect the game, he just didn't respect the league.

I can agree with all of that. Thats fair. I think he loves the game just doesnt have the respect for league, which is why he is out of it

skinsfan4life80
12-01-2009, 10:48 PM
redskins suck! Wizards Suck! Nats Suck. Your hockey team is NICE tho

That has nothing at all to do with the article. But you are 100 percent right.

Deezy Dee 24.
12-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Enough with the Iverson threads.

Jaji
12-02-2009, 01:18 AM
I can agree with all of that. Thats fair. I think he loves the game just doesnt have the respect for league, which is why he is out of it

That's exactly the point I was making. Don't say he doesn't respect the game. Basketball is his life and I'm sure he'll continue to love and play it well after his career is over. But the NBA is a corporation. It just so happens to take advantage of a sport lots of people love. But don't blame Iverson if he doesn't fit the role of model NBA player. He is who he is. A basketball player. When you start telling players what to wear when they're not on the floor, etc, well that's something totally different. The NBA needs basketball. Basketball does not need the NBA.

smith&wesson
12-02-2009, 01:38 AM
question- what player can we all talk about for 3 weeks and still not get tired of it.

answer-allen iverson.

Gators123
12-02-2009, 01:47 AM
I posted this in the other AI thread but just in case you missed it heres what sephen A smith posted on his twitter.

"Bottom line: expect him to show up at the Wachovia Center in a 76ers' uniform next Monday vs. Carmelo and the Nuggets, his old team." about 2 hours ago from web

skinsfan4life80
12-02-2009, 11:02 AM
That's exactly the point I was making. Don't say he doesn't respect the game. Basketball is his life and I'm sure he'll continue to love and play it well after his career is over. But the NBA is a corporation. It just so happens to take advantage of a sport lots of people love. But don't blame Iverson if he doesn't fit the role of model NBA player. He is who he is. A basketball player. When you start telling players what to wear when they're not on the floor, etc, well that's something totally different. The NBA needs basketball. Basketball does not need the NBA.

See i disagree with you there. If you are truly in love with basketball and its your life then you put in the work to get better. Trust me Basketball is not Iverson first love. Being Allen Iverson is Iverson first love. If Iverson has a choice of going to the club and partying or going to the gym to get better he is taking the club everytime. IF you look at Iversons game it has grown 0 since his rookie year. His defense never got better his three point shot never got better his freethrows never got better his passing never got better he just stayed the same. Look Kobe he as added something to his game every year, Jordan added something every year, Lebron has gotten much better on defense and 3 point shoting, Wade gets better every year. Melo adds something every year Dirk is working on his post game..thats the true meaning of love wanting to always get better. Basketball is Kobe's life its all he wants, it was Jordans life it was all he wanted. You always hears stories about the greats being the first one in the gym and the last one out of it thats because they love to play. Iverson is last one in the gym and the first out off it. thats not love of playing basketball. You all ways hear about these pick games all summer long with all the best players in the NBA getting together and playing Iverson is never involved. This summer for a fact i know he was here in DC for almost 2 weeks str8 and didnt show up once to come play with all the NBA players in the area who were playing everyday despite being invited. Areans, Durrant,beasley, Ty Lawson, Caron Butler, Roger Mason, Dermarr Johnson, and some others were there everydday and it was some of the basketball games you will never see..just plain hooping. Iverson didnt play once but was out in the club every single night. Melo even drove down from Bmore with his folks and played twice. When i Heard someone ask AI why he wasnt there he replied " Yall play to early " The games started at 3pm come on dude. Areans plays basketball with the best players in every single city he plays in thats love of the game if you ask me. Its hard for me to say you love playing basketball when you cant make a 3pm game because of your nightlife. Let me tell you first hand I am talking about great basketball games no politics no refs with agendas. Thats just why i can never say Iverson LOVES basketball. IMO

Jaji
12-02-2009, 06:25 PM

See i disagree with you there. If you are truly in love with basketball and its your life then you put in the work to get better. Trust me Basketball is not Iverson first love. Being Allen Iverson is Iverson first love. If Iverson has a choice of going to the club and partying or going to the gym to get better he is taking the club everytime. IF you look at Iversons game it has grown 0 since his rookie year. His defense never got better his three point shot never got better his freethrows never got better his passing never got better he just stayed the same. Look Kobe he as added something to his game every year, Jordan added something every year, Lebron has gotten much better on defense and 3 point shoting, Wade gets better every year. Melo adds something every year Dirk is working on his post game..thats the true meaning of love wanting to always get better. Basketball is Kobe's life its all he wants, it was Jordans life it was all he wanted. You always hears stories about the greats being the first one in the gym and the last one out of it thats because they love to play. Iverson is last one in the gym and the first out off it. thats not love of playing basketball. You all ways hear about these pick games all summer long with all the best players in the NBA getting together and playing Iverson is never involved. This summer for a fact i know he was here in DC for almost 2 weeks str8 and didnt show up once to come play with all the NBA players in the area who were playing everyday despite being invited. Areans, Durrant,beasley, Ty Lawson, Caron Butler, Roger Mason, Dermarr Johnson, and some others were there everydday and it was some of the basketball games you will never see..just plain hooping. Iverson didnt play once but was out in the club every single night. Melo even drove down from Bmore with his folks and played twice. When i Heard someone ask AI why he wasnt there he replied " Yall play to early " The games started at 3pm come on dude. Areans plays basketball with the best players in every single city he plays in thats love of the game if you ask me. Its hard for me to say you love playing basketball when you cant make a 3pm game because of your nightlife. Let me tell you first hand I am talking about great basketball games no politics no refs with agendas. Thats just why i can never say Iverson LOVES basketball. IMO

:confused:

Okay so its a personal thing against me. Thanks for clearing that up ;).

skinsfan4life80
12-02-2009, 10:15 PM
:confused:

Okay so its a personal thing against me. Thanks for clearing that up ;).
lol..my bad buddy nothing against you I will stick with my last comment. Way to pay attention though..but i hope you can undersand my example.