PDA

View Full Version : Should some of the NBA's assistant coached be inducted into the Hall of Fame?

DenButsu
11-29-2009, 06:10 AM
For a guy like Grg, it makes sense to me that he should at least get consideration in the future. Not only is he an invaluable part of the Nuggets coaching staff, but he has mentored hundreds of the league's players in his annual summer camp (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/08/05/bouncin-around-grgurichs-camp-going-on-quietly-in-las-vegas/) in Vegas (attendees have included Gary Payton, Chris Mullin, Shawn Kemp, Tim Hardaway, Eric Snow, Baron Davis, Kevin Love, Anthony Morrow, C.J. Watson, Eric Gordon, Javaris Crittenton, J.R. Smith, Rodney Stuckey, Brandon Jennings, Hasheem Thabeet, James Harden, DeMar DeRozan, Jonny Flynn and Austin Daye), so the impact of his coaching has been far-reaching. Assistant coaches don't get very much recognition from fans or the media, so I'm not too familiar with many outside the Nuggets organization (excepting the more famous ones such as former players), but I'd imagine that there are other current and former coaching assistants out there who have make a major - if unnoticed - mark on the league.

Hall material?

A fascinating debate in baseball is whether pitching coaches such as Dave Duncan and Leo Mazzone could someday make the Hall of Fame. As for basketball, Karl brought up an interesting debate when discussing Nuggets assistant Tim Grgurich, widely considered one of basketball's best coaches.

"Grg is a lifetime assistant coach, and I think he's a Hall of Fame assistant coach," Karl said. "I don't know if they'll ever put an assistant coach in the Hall, but this guy's been incredible for our game, for me and for the teams he has been associated with."

Grgurich has been an NBA assistant since 1991, when he worked with Karl's great Sonics squads of the early-to-mid-1990s, and before that Grgurich worked on the UNLV staff of Jerry Tarkanian.

Iodine
11-29-2009, 06:12 AM
Tex Winter is a better coach than half of the hall of fame coaches

/thread

Silent
11-29-2009, 06:31 AM
tex winter is a better coach than half of the hall of fame coaches

/thread

+1

D-Leethal
11-29-2009, 07:27 AM
tex winter should get in just becasue of the impact the triangle offense has had in the NBA

Jays Claw
11-29-2009, 12:07 PM
What about Alex English?

Alex English was an absolute monster when he was on the court.

Alex English is an assistant coach to Jay Triano of the Toronto Raptors.

Iodine
11-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Alex English was an absolute monster when he was on the court.

Alex English is an assistant coach to Jay Triano of the Toronto Raptors.

Youll see something under your original post next to quote. its called edit

use it

Jays Claw
11-29-2009, 12:24 PM
^ Thanks for your unwanted advice. :cool:

JerseysFinest
11-29-2009, 12:31 PM
haha

JasonJohnHorn
11-29-2009, 01:03 PM

You hit the nail on the head. Phill Jackson gets much of the credit for the triangle offence, but it is Tex Winter's design. Jackson is no doubt a great head coach, one of the greatest, and his ability to instill defence and coach huge egos is matched by few, but without Winters (and Phil has given Tex lots of props himself), the Bull dynasty wouldn't have been as dominant; Jordan would have hogged the ball, or the coach would have run eveyr play through MJ (like Mike Brown does with LBJ), giving the team little diversity.

Tex Winters is just one great assisant though, Jerry Sloan for example has had an assistant coahc with him for his entire tenure in Utah who has turned down any number of head coach jobs and Greg Pop has an assist that does the same. These assistant coaches have a huge impact and though it isn't often that they stand out from the rest, they do make a huge impact on the game and deserve recognition.

jetsfan28
11-29-2009, 01:05 PM

/thread

This

Hawkeye15
11-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Tex Winter obviously can make a case, as can Pete Newell, or any number of coaches who give NBA players a much better game. And Dennis Hopper from Hoosiers. Shooter

Wilson
11-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Glad to see Tex Winter's name out there :clap:

ko8e24
11-29-2009, 03:39 PM

/thread

:nod:

Raph12
11-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Tex Winter and a couple of others should get in.

SA5195
11-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Alex English. :)

Raptors

HoopsDrive
11-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Marc Iavaroni.