PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard's Offense

k24springs
11-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Dwight Howard hasn't improved his offense this season I know that he's only 24 but, he needs to develop an outside jumper and more low post moves so that he doesn't have to always have to play with his back to the basket because teams know exactly what he's going to do. Right now he's just playing off his athleticism but, in the playoffs the Celtics and Lakers big men really exposed him. I love Superman and the Magic but there not getting back to the Finals unless he improve his free throws and his offense. We know that he's the best big man in the game today and he's always going to be a great defender and rebounder but, as I've said earlier the Magic are not going back to the finals if he doesn't improve. I know that they made great moves this off-season and get Vince Carter still the Magic are only going to go as far as Dwight takes them. What do you guys think?

goku
11-28-2009, 04:50 PM
he hasnt improved his offense much to me he is the same as last year. it seems they go through vince more than howard and all vince is doing is shooting jumpers

ko8e24
11-28-2009, 04:52 PM
dwight howard's offense=nonexistent

lol jk, but its mediocre at best

ManRam
11-28-2009, 04:58 PM
He has been underwhelming offensively to say the least. I said in the off-season that no matter what moves we made, him getting better will be the most important thing.

The Magic are really struggling to find ways to get him the ball where he can beat his defender. Our ball-movement sucks this year. Too much perimeter dilly-dallying. Howard isn't getting involved enough.

Also, his foul issues are really hurting his numbers. That's something he needs to work on as well.

A lot of it is his fault...but not all of it. His teammates (cough cough Vince cough cough) need to help him out.

BluejaysFan08
11-28-2009, 05:00 PM
What a first post! ha

I'd say Dwight is pretty good right now, might even say average player. Anything he needs to change will come with expirience IMO

Kakaroach
11-28-2009, 05:19 PM
I haven't seen any improvements as well from Dwight. He just doesn't have that go-to move or a decent jumper yet.

pippsux
11-28-2009, 05:28 PM
The problem is the kids (and at 24 he is a kid) today have little respect for the past. In Howard's mind he has all what he needs and doesn't have to improve. You have one of the 50 greatest players of all time and one of the top big men ever, especially shooting wise, in Ewing coaching you and you don't improve then there is a problem. Shame, because I think he just needs a little finesse to his game and the sky is the limit.

sofargone
11-28-2009, 05:30 PM
dwights offense hasnt been impressive so far to say the least. i havent heard much of him this year

bigsams50
11-28-2009, 05:30 PM
If he could develop some post moves, he would be downright unstoppable

ManRam
11-28-2009, 05:35 PM
One thing I don't get is why does he need a jumper? I don't think he needs one to be a great player. Shaq never had a jump shot in his arsenal. It's probably physically improbable for him to ever develop a good mid range shot. He needs post moves, and that's it. Not a jumper/

bigsams50
11-28-2009, 05:37 PM
One thing I don't get is why does he need a jumper? I don't think he needs one to be a great player. Shaq never had a jump shot in his arsenal. It's probably physically improbable for him to ever develop a good mid range shot. He needs post moves, and that's it. Not a jumper/

x1 He learns a couple post moves, and youre lookin at a matchup nightmare in the post

MAC10TIZZY
11-28-2009, 05:47 PM
averaging 18 pts a game on the top team in the east while being number 3 in the league at fg% i would say the 24 year old is doing pretty good....stop hating on the guy

Scalphunter13
11-28-2009, 07:35 PM
dwights offense has not been that impressive this year, due to a number reasons but one thing that has impressed me is that he is now passing the ball well out of the double/triple teamed to open players instead of trying to force the shot. I think people tend to be a little to hard on him because he has so much potential but I think eventually he will become a offensive force.

ko8e24
11-28-2009, 08:04 PM
Dwight Howard hasn't improved his offense this season I know that he's only 24 but, he needs to develop an outside jumper and more low post moves so that he doesn't have to always have to play with his back to the basket because teams know exactly what he's going to do. Right now he's just playing off his athleticism but, in the playoffs the Celtics and Lakers big men really exposed him. I love Superman and the Magic but there not getting back to the Finals unless he improve his free throws and his offense. We know that he's the best big man in the game today and he's always going to be a great defender and rebounder but, as I've said earlier the Magic are not going back to the finals if he doesn't improve. I know that they made great moves this off-season and get Vince Carter still the Magic are only going to go as far as Dwight takes them. What do you guys think?

oh and btw yo, welcome to psd :clap:

FOBolous
11-28-2009, 08:12 PM
He has been underwhelming offensively to say the least. I said in the off-season that no matter what moves we made, him getting better will be the most important thing.

The Magic are really struggling to find ways to get him the ball where he can beat his defender. Our ball-movement sucks this year. Too much perimeter dilly-dallying. Howard isn't getting involved enough.

Also, his foul issues are really hurting his numbers. That's something he needs to work on as well.

A lot of it is his fault...but not all of it. His teammates (cough cough Vince cough cough) need to help him out.

yall's offense has been underwhelming because yall don't have Hedo anymore. True Hedo is not the scorer VC is but he can do things on offense VC can't do. Yall are going to miss Hedo more than you think this year.

_KB24_
11-28-2009, 08:24 PM
He'll be just fine. He's still by far the best center in the league. His game is all muscle and powering over other defenders. Worked out for Shaq. I think it is a little stupid and unfair that we say he needs to develop that jumper or work on his free-throws. I actually love his free-throw technique.

ManRam
11-28-2009, 08:27 PM
yall's offense has been underwhelming because yall don't have Hedo anymore. True Hedo is not the scorer VC is but he can do things on offense VC can't do. Yall are going to miss Hedo more than you think this year.

I'm probably the only Magic fan in the world that thinks Hedo had a much bigger effect on our offense than we'll ever realize. Carter is a shooter. Hedo was much more than that. I do think Vince is the better player...but I don't know if he is the better fit.

RadiantShot
11-28-2009, 09:16 PM
Instead of talking about what he does badly, why don't we say some things that he can do, not easily done by others.

Dwight can probably dunk ANY time he wants if he doesn't get wrapped up in the paint by 2 people.
He can block pretty much anything in the paint.
He's a monster at rebounding, and probably will be one of the best rebounders until he leaves the league.
He steps up to the challenge if necessary.
He can't do all the great things you guys are asking from him if he is constantly asking for the ball, but never getting it down low.
He makes some huge stops late in the game that determine the outcomes.
When he needs to, he WILL usually make big free throws, just not the early freethrows in the game.
His ability to pass to perimeter players has let us come back from 15+ point leads late in the game.
Dwight is the best defensive presence down low, without a doubt.

So, before only talking about how raw his offense is, think about the good things he's done for Orlando. He still has tons of seasons to go, and a lot of training to do, training with Ewing will only make Dwight a better player, and the free throws will come eventually, he's still raw in some areas, (Free throws, down low, temper, etc.,) but it will come with experience, so don't ask WAY too much of him at where he stands in the league right now.

FOBolous
11-28-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm probably the only Magic fan in the world that thinks Hedo had a much bigger effect on our offense than we'll ever realize. Carter is a shooter. Hedo was much more than that. I do think Vince is the better player...but I don't know if he is the better fit.

i agree.

i.got.the.nutz
11-28-2009, 09:34 PM
If Dwight Howard had Bynum's offensive game this league is in trouble.

Anon
11-28-2009, 09:45 PM
All Dwight has to do to be a dominant offensive player is make over 70% of his free throws. Jumpers, post moves, all of that is icing. Shoot over 70% from the line and he averages 24 ppg or more.

MAC10TIZZY
11-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Instead of talking about what he does badly, why don't we say some things that he can do, not easily done by others.

Dwight can probably dunk ANY time he wants if he doesn't get wrapped up in the paint by 2 people.
He can block pretty much anything in the paint.
He's a monster at rebounding, and probably will be one of the best rebounders until he leaves the league.
He steps up to the challenge if necessary.
He can't do all the great things you guys are asking from him if he is constantly asking for the ball, but never getting it down low.
He makes some huge stops late in the game that determine the outcomes.
When he needs to, he WILL usually make big free throws, just not the early freethrows in the game.
His ability to pass to perimeter players has let us come back from 15+ point leads late in the game.
Dwight is the best defensive presence down low, without a doubt.

So, before only talking about how raw his offense is, think about the good things he's done for Orlando. He still has tons of seasons to go, and a lot of training to do, training with Ewing will only make Dwight a better player, and the free throws will come eventually, he's still raw in some areas, (Free throws, down low, temper, etc.,) but it will come with experience, so don't ask WAY too much of him at where he stands in the league right now.

:clap::clap::clap:

MAC10TIZZY
11-29-2009, 12:33 AM
hows that for offense...WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raph12
11-29-2009, 12:44 AM
True, but he still commands a double-team in the post due to his overwhelming athleticism.

Imagine Howard with Duncan's offensive arsenal... :drool:

ManRam
11-29-2009, 12:48 AM
True, but he still commands a double-team in the post due to his overwhelming athleticism.

Imagine Howard with Duncan's offensive arsenal... :drool:

That would be downright unfair. We can dream as long as we want though, it will never happen. He wont ever be half as skilled.

He was great tonight...he did turn the ball over a ton. He has terrible hands...and the reason the Magic don't force the ball to him all the time (besides the fact that he can't usually create his own shot) is because he isn't very good at receiving entry passes. That was really the only bad I saw in him tonight.

The Bomb DeSean
11-29-2009, 12:55 AM
i want to hope he will develop one as time goes on, hes too talented to not at this point.. Ewing is a great mentor so hopefully he can continue to help the progression

Dynastymetal
11-29-2009, 01:02 AM
averaging 18 pts a game on the top team in the east while being number 3 in the league at fg% i would say the 24 year old is doing pretty good....stop hating on the guy

I totally agree. I thought this game is all about winning. This fantasy BS is destroying the very essence of the game. Everyone is urged to be selfish because of the demands of fans that read numbers and don't pay attention to the game. Superman is still getting the same attention that he's always gotten. Constant double-teams! If they were underfeated the critics would still have something stupid to say. They're #1 in the East, (the strongest conference this year) in spite of all the injuries, critics, and drama!

Dynastymetal
11-29-2009, 01:05 AM

Bynum had Kareem for years, Dwight has Ewing. Bynum has Phil (teacher, winner) Dwight has Stan Van Gundy (critic, whiner). You make the comparisons!

Dynastymetal
11-29-2009, 01:19 AM

You can't be serious! If NBA superstars listened to critics, at best, they would only be good critics. They're already superstars!!!! Garnet needs to go the basket more, Kobe needs to pass more, Lebron needs a consistent jumpshoot, Phil Jackson needs to call timeout earlier, etc......Please!!!

ManRam
11-29-2009, 01:22 AM
I totally agree. I thought this game is all about winning. This fantasy BS is destroying the very essence of the game. Everyone is urged to be selfish because of the demands of fans that read numbers and don't pay attention to the game. Superman is still getting the same attention that he's always gotten. Constant double-teams! If they were underfeated the critics would still have something stupid to say. They're #1 in the East, (the strongest conference this year) in spite of all the injuries, critics, and drama!

It has nothing to do with fantasy. If the Magic could get the ball to Dwight, and expect him to score like Shaq in his prime, they win the championship last year, and probably again this year. Dwight was shut down by the Lakers and Celtics. The only reason we killed the Cavs and almost swept them is because they didn't have a big, tough center to stick on him.

His FG% is so high because he scores mostly off of offense rebounds, broken plays and alley-oops. Seriously, count how many times he gets the ball in a position where he has to beat his defender, and scores. It isn't much.

Sure, they are #1 in the East, but they've looked ugly doing it. If Howard could dominate on offense 1/2 as much as he dominates on defense, we're unbeatable. That's why I get frustrated with his lack of go-to scoring ability. I see how good we can be, and especially how unstoppable he can be...and neither are that good.

Raph12
11-29-2009, 01:54 AM
That would be downright unfair. We can dream as long as we want though, it will never happen. He wont ever be half as skilled.

He was great tonight...he did turn the ball over a ton. He has terrible hands...and the reason the Magic don't force the ball to him all the time (besides the fact that he can't usually create his own shot) is because he isn't very good at receiving entry passes. That was really the only bad I saw in him tonight.

We can always dream...

As for the turnovers issue, Howard is trying to get better at passing when doubled/tripled, still one of his biggest weaknesses. With that being said, he had no problem in creating his own shot tonight, everything was dropping within a 10-ft radius from the basket and his footwork looked alot better.

I said it before and I'll say it again, working the ball to Howard first is a recipe for success for this Magic team.

JayW_1023
12-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Dwight Howard is confused by double teams...he always makes the safe pass. His offense is predictable. He still gets by with athletic ability and his developement has stifled pretty much. Magic fans should be frustrated by now.

With Dwight I see a kid who is extremely likable...yet on the flipside he lacks that killer instinct necessairy to dominate. He doesn't read defenses...while I really thought he was improving there last postseason. But it looks like he hasn't worked much on his game last offseason.

Meanwhile Andrew Bynum is playing much better, and actually making a legitimate case that he will eventually become the better player of the two.

macc
12-02-2009, 12:42 PM

Well said. I somtimes wonder what people are thinking when they'll base their entire reasoning and thought on stats alone. Try watching a game. Its crazy how much you can learn by actually "watching" rather than just checking out the box stats. Its a "team" game, not individual. Besides there is no perfect basketball player. I've never seen somone avg 13 rebounds, 13 assists 30 + points a game. Thats why you have a team. You have players who struggle on defense but great on offense, you have other players who pick up the D when your other players are lacking it and vise versa. Winning is what matters to me, not stats.

Oh and on Dwight Howard. Yes his offense isn't pretty but guess what he has the 3rd highest fg% in the league but yet people say he's raw offensively. He shoots a higher fg% then 99% of the players in the NBA but yet he's raw. Sorry don't get it, it doesn't have to be a pretty shot. It just hasit to go in and it does. Now if you want to say he's raw with post moves, then you have a point.

Besides I would much rather Howard be raw offensivly then defensivly. Defense wins championships. Think about it, if Howard traded all his defense for offense he would just be another Zach Randalph, someone who can score at will but doesn't win many games. So I'll take the defense with high fg% over offense anyday. Just sayin...

macc
12-02-2009, 12:47 PM
It has nothing to do with fantasy. If the Magic could get the ball to Dwight, and expect him to score like Shaq in his prime, they win the championship last year, and probably again this year. Dwight was shut down by the Lakers and Celtics. The only reason we killed the Cavs and almost swept them is because they didn't have a big, tough center to stick on him.

His FG% is so high because he scores mostly off of offense rebounds, broken plays and alley-oops. Seriously, count how many times he gets the ball in a position where he has to beat his defender, and scores. It isn't much.

Sure, they are #1 in the East, but they've looked ugly doing it. If Howard could dominate on offense 1/2 as much as he dominates on defense, we're unbeatable. That's why I get frustrated with his lack of go-to scoring ability. I see how good we can be, and especially how unstoppable he can be...and neither are that good.

Manram? Are you actually Stan Van Gundy posting on here? Always seeing the negative in everything.

Since you brought up Shaq I'll comment on it. Shaq is was lightyears ahead of Dwight offensively. Noone will question that, but at 23 Dwight is a better defender and defensive presence then Shaq ever was. So you take the good with the bad, esp when you're comparing a 24 yr old to a top 50 player of all time. Which in reality isn't a fair comparison at all.

Double_R
12-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Dynastymetal View Post

Winning is more important than ppg... ask Lakers fans about Kobe... the lower his points = the higher % the Lakers win

There are only so many shots to go around, balanced = victories

MagicDojo
12-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Our offense has been shakey I will agree with that. But we have yet to have our team together all at once. Lewis just had his first decent game. Vince has missed a bunch. jameer wasnt up to form before he got injured. i think our team is still having opening week growing pains after 15 games. I can tell you this , Nobody wants to play us and everybody knows when they do there is agood chance of losing.
Maybe once Dwight knows who he is gonna be passing to and getting passes from he might be able to settle a little and work on offensive sets.

Double_R
12-02-2009, 01:00 PM
PS All these people posting that are hating on DH's offense, are fans of other teams, who probably watched 1 game and looked up his stats and that's how they have derived their conclusion.

If you watch him on a night to night basis, you will realize that our team's offense is based around the whole team not just 1. Also, of course when the game is in the crunch time, the Magic go to Vince, he is a guard that can make plays happen... That is how basketball works... When the Celtics are in the final minutes, Paul Pierce handles the ball not KG

TheKing23
12-02-2009, 01:36 PM

But Shaq is the most dominant interior player ever... Although Dwight possesses a similar physique and more athleticism, you don't see him bullying players like Shaq did at the age of 24. Shaq also had a fantastic set of post moves and great co-ordination. He had the ability to hit the 8-10 foot hook shot regularly and that's something Dwight needs desperately... If he can develop that the sky is the limit.

zachattach
12-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Guys Dwight is better off being the 2nd option. I don't ever imagine him being your go to guy night in and night out. You guys say he's only 24, but how many guys do you no that have learned to shoot a jumper or learned they're go to move after being in the NBA for 5 season ( or however long he's been here) every great offensive player has had a great move since high school. He's been in the NBA for a long enough time that he should have developed some sort of post move or face up game. Right?

His greatness lies in his athletism and defensive/ rebounding abilites. He will never have the touch of a Shaq or Yao or The Dream.

zachattach
12-02-2009, 08:59 PM
KGuys Dwight is better off being the 2nd option. I don't ever imagine him being your go to guy night in and night out. You guys say he's only 24, but how many guys do you no that have learned to shoot a jumper or learned they're go to move after being in the NBA for 5 season ( or however long he's been here) every great offensive player has had a great move since high school. He's been in the NBA for a long enough time that he should have developed some sort of post move or face up game. Right?

His greatness lies in his athletism and defensive/ rebounding abilites. He will never have the touch of a Shaq or Yao or The Dream.

I'm not hating but this is what I've always thought of him.

Ray_R
12-02-2009, 09:17 PM
He'll be just fine. He's still by far the best center in the league. His game is all muscle and powering over other defenders. Worked out for Shaq. I think it is a little stupid and unfair that we say he needs to develop that jumper or work on his free-throws. I actually love his free-throw technique.

is there any one that can outmuscle Dwight?

bigsams50
12-02-2009, 09:26 PM
I wouldnt say outmuscle, but Perkins gaurds him well

MAC10TIZZY
12-02-2009, 09:43 PM
I wouldnt say outmuscle, but Perkins gaurds him well

perkins out'uglies' him, gah that would suck to have to watch this guy on a nightly basis:facepalm:

D-Amazins
12-02-2009, 09:46 PM

Shaq also never had to deal with the B**** A**NESS of todays foul calls :pity:

EDIT: During his prime that is.

Verbal Christ
12-02-2009, 09:48 PM
if dude hasnt 'developed' a jumper by now (how long has he been playing ball you think?) what makes anyone think he's gonna somehow practice harder one summer and he's gonna come in draining 15 footers??? seriously, dwight is what he is ... a freakishly athletic big guy who will dominate lesser C's, while he will always have trouble with skilled big men who actually make him play ball.

Raph12
12-03-2009, 02:56 AM
But Shaq is the most dominant interior player ever... Although Dwight possesses a similar physique and more athleticism, you don't see him bullying players like Shaq did at the age of 24. Shaq also had a fantastic set of post moves and great co-ordination. He had the ability to hit the 8-10 foot hook shot regularly and that's something Dwight needs desperately... If he can develop that the sky is the limit.

Shaq was rarely doubled/tripled in his prime, most centers went one-on-one with him. Idk where you got this idea from, but the Shaq I watched in Orlando and LA had little to no post moves and his hook shot was limited to about 5 feet from the basket. His offense had always consisted of two moves, post and dunk or post and hook shot.

But I agree with you, Dwight's hook shot and his footwork do need alot of work, he needs to be working closely with someone like Abdul-Jabbar or Olajuwan, the point is that he needs help from a center with a legit post game, not a PF who's only post move was a fadeaway jumper, ie: Patrick Ewing.

Just for the record, if anyone is doubled/tripled in the post, he will not score much regardless of his post game arsenal, so it's good to know that Howard can score without the ball as well, via offensive rebounds.

_KB24_
12-03-2009, 03:27 AM
Shaq was rarely doubled/tripled in his prime, most centers went one-on-one with him. Idk where you got this idea from, but the Shaq I watched in Orlando and LA had little to no post moves and his hook shot was limited to about 5 feet from the basket. His offense had always consisted of two moves, post and dunk or post and hook shot.

But I agree with you, Dwight's hook shot and his footwork do need alot of work, he needs to be working closely with someone like Abdul-Jabbar or Olajuwan, the point is that he needs help from a center with a legit post game, not a PF who's only post move was a fadeaway jumper, ie: Patrick Ewing.

Just for the record, if anyone is doubled/tripled in the post, he will not score much regardless of his post game arsenal, so it's good to know that Howard can score without the ball as well, via offensive rebounds.

C'mon man, I remember for a fact that Shaq used to be swarmed by the opposing defenders when he was with us in LA. Every time he go the ball, they would always try to double him and force him to pass. You are correct when you say he had only the dunk and the hook from 5, but he had great footwork back then. He was very down on the block and I use to love watch him utilize his spinmove to the basket.

JayW_1023
12-03-2009, 07:19 AM
Shaq was a smart player even in his Orlando days he was a good passer and able to set up his teammates. Dwight on the other hand is not a good passer and doesn't have great courtvision or offensive awareness.

MTar786
12-03-2009, 08:00 AM

this guy has to be a nominee for biggest ****** of the decade :facepalm:

i remember shaq geeting double teamed ALL THE TIME. i even remember four guys on him on a few occasions.. infact i remember that one game.. shaq got it deep in the post against the king and ALL 5 kings rushed to him.. n he still somehow managed to dunk it on them. shaq mastered the spin move to to the rim.. the back down.. half spin hook shot from 7 feet.. or just turn around and dunk it on you.. shaq had AMAZING foot work.. And could pass with the best of them

Chronz
12-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Shaq warped the court more than anyone whos ever played in my lifetime which isnt that far back, but if hes never been doubled then I dont know what a double team looks like. Shaq feasted on the teams that dared play him 1 on 1. The tag team of D-Rob and Duncan literally gave me nightmares every year before the playoffs.

tbomlad
12-03-2009, 03:20 PM

If Bynum had Dwight's athleticism, raw talent, and defensive prowess he'd be worth a comparison.

Gibby23
12-03-2009, 03:28 PM
If Bynum had Dwight's athleticism, raw talent, and defensive prowess he'd be worth a comparison.

When does raw talent start to acual talent on the court. Dwight was suppose to harness that raw talent by now and be pretty polished, instead he looks like he hasn't worked on any part of his game.

If Bynum had D12's athleticism and defensive skills combined with his polished offensive game, Bynum would be the MVP.

Raph12
12-03-2009, 03:34 PM
this guy has to be a nominee for biggest ****** of the decade :facepalm:

i remember shaq geeting double teamed ALL THE TIME. i even remember four guys on him on a few occasions.. infact i remember that one game.. shaq got it deep in the post against the king and ALL 5 kings rushed to him.. n he still somehow managed to dunk it on them. shaq mastered the spin move to to the rim.. the back down.. half spin hook shot from 7 feet.. or just turn around and dunk it on you.. shaq had AMAZING foot work.. And could pass with the best of them

Getting a ball deep in the post and then having the defense collapse on you when it's too late isn't very strong help defense. What I meant was that he should've been doubled on touch or as soon as he put it on the floor, that way he'd have no shot of scoring at all.

Btw with all of your stupid Lebron-hate posts you won that award for "biggest ****** of the decade" quite some time ago... try again next decade.

Tommyh1331
12-03-2009, 03:54 PM

agree 100%

macc
12-03-2009, 04:16 PM
I disagree with the guy who said after 5 seasons a guy should have a jumpshot by now. Look at Patrick Ewing, Look at Shawn Kemp, Look at Barkley, Look at Karl Malone. These players early in their career attacked the rim, it took a while for their jumper to come around. Its not really "can" somone do it, its more whats the better shot. At this point in his career Dwight outpowers pretty much anyone playing against him, so he likes to show off and dunk the ball when somone is trying tight man to man D on him.

I saw some videos this summer where the only thing Dwight did was take 8 ft jump shots, he would shoot one, run to the other basket and shoot another, so on and so forth. He made 95% of them. Granted doing it in a game is a different story but I think he more or less chooses to go with his power game since a dunk is obviously a higher percentage shot then an 8 footer. Hense the reason he's in the top 3 fg% every year.

I do agree with the point that Shaq didn't have many offensive moves either. His turnaround was his signature along with his 5 ft hook. Dwight has both of those moves, though Dwight does more of a running hook. The biggest difference was their footwork. Shaq was much better at that and he looked alot more natural doing this moves than Dwight does now.

I agree that Dwights Athletisim is what gets him by on offense. That's fine with me. He scores alot of points and he shoots a higher percentage than 99% of the league. I like him most because of his defense. Anymore offense we get from him will be a bonus.

$ NyC $
12-03-2009, 04:43 PM
I disagree with the guy who said after 5 seasons a guy should have a jumpshot by now. Look at Patrick Ewing, Look at Shawn Kemp, Look at Barkley, Look at Karl Malone. These players early in their career attacked the rim, it took a while for their jumper to come around. Its not really "can" somone do it, its more whats the better shot. At this point in his career Dwight outpowers pretty much anyone playing against him, so he likes to show off and dunk the ball when somone is trying tight man to man D on him.

I saw some videos this summer where the only thing Dwight did was take 8 ft jump shots, he would shoot one, run to the other basket and shoot another, so on and so forth. He made 95% of them. Granted doing it in a game is a different story but I think he more or less chooses to go with his power game since a dunk is obviously a higher percentage shot then an 8 footer. Hense the reason he's in the top 3 fg% every year.

I do agree with the point that Shaq didn't have many offensive moves either. His turnaround was his signature along with his 5 ft hook. Dwight has both of those moves, though Dwight does more of a running hook. The biggest difference was their footwork. Shaq was much better at that and he looked alot more natural doing this moves than Dwight does now.

I agree that Dwights Athletisim is what gets him by on offense. That's fine with me. He scores alot of points and he shoots a higher percentage than 99% of the league. I like him most because of his defense. Anymore offense we get from him will be a bonus.

I somewhat agree. Dwight is such a beast on D his scoring is an added bonus. He own the boards and is an intimidating force in the paint. I agree it would be nice to see him get some post moves but i blame this on his crazy athleticism!! I mean, the funny thing about dwight is..HE DOESN'T NEED THEM. I mean why take a hook shot, why a jumper when you can basically dunk on any1 or just make an easy layup?

Raoul Duke
12-03-2009, 07:15 PM
His offense will develop over time, but I don't think Dwight is ever going to be another Hakeem. He just doesn't have the grace or the touch. Sad but true.

That being said, if I'm Orlando's GM then I'm crapping my pants with glee that I have this guy on my team. Has anyone forgotten how rare legit centers are in this league? Let alone young ones who are 100% committed on defense?

fresh3def
12-03-2009, 09:24 PM
he can be just like shaq and become dominant offensively and defensively. or he can improve his jumper and be just like amare stoudamire

rabzouz 96
12-03-2009, 10:46 PM
The problem is the kids (and at 24 he is a kid) today have little respect for the past. In Howard's mind he has all what he needs and doesn't have to improve. You have one of the 50 greatest players of all time and one of the top big men ever, especially shooting wise, in Ewing coaching you and you don't improve then there is a problem. Shame, because I think he just needs a little finesse to his game and the sky is the limit.
from where do you know that he doesnt respect ewing, maybe ewing is just not as good of a coach as he was on a player and doesnt know how to efficiently teach/train howard?

totally agree, lowpostmoves are higher percentage shots anyway...

I said it before and I'll say it again, working the ball to Howard first is a recipe for success for this Magic team.
as is with any team with a good bigman.