PDA

View Full Version : Could Jennings be the Ncaa Destroyer?

Hellcrooner
11-28-2009, 04:32 AM
I mean.

- skipped hihg school-

- Went to europe-

- Got paid about 1, 5 million of TAX FREE dollar for that year.

- Still went in the lottery

- Probably learnt a ton bout life and about fiting in new situations wich coudl only help him to adjust to nba.

- Did a middle step between the level of competence of hs and the nba since euroleague is MUCH tougher than ncaa nowdays.

- Maybe he even got some of the fundamentals , BIG fundamentals that ncaa coaches seem to have forgotten an subsituted with only athletic training and that in europe are taking care of with the result of making allstars like dirk or pau that cant compete phisicaly with americans but make up for it with dfundamentals.

- Now he is teairng it up in nba.

ok its psoble some HS decide to make te sam thng to scape the age rule of stern ( wich by t way will be abolished by next year to avoid the talented hschoolers skiping ncaa)

But maybe ITS TOO LATE Mr stern.

Think this way you are one of the top 30 players in hschool , coaches tellyou you hacve a star fture in nba but that you still have a lot to learn , you are very raw and tht you need 2 or 3 years of ncaa. before entering .

Ok so you are this guy and an european team comes and gives you a 6 milion tax free dollar contract for playing that same amount of time you woudl spend in Ncaa playing euroleague being treated like an idol and taking a bette ormation since you are playing against tougher competition.

Well i dont know but at least 50% of the dude woudl probably say Yes.

wich means each year 15-20 top prospects that wouldstar for ncaa an fill seats for ncaa will be filling seats in europe and getting paid for doing so and then afr cntract is iup they go enter lottery and tear it up in nba because they are more nba ready.

did i firgot to tell that if you go to ncaa and have a career ending injury you dont see a cent and end up working in mcdonalds?

while if it happens in euroe you still get paid your FULL 6 million?
maybe im wrong thinkg ONly 50% would say yes maye 25 out of the top 30 will like to earn money for themselves and their families instead o winning monney for ncaa officials and colleges.

Wich leads to.....end of ncaa? or end of amateurism and they are obliged to pay the players or allow the players to have merchandising contracts to keep them?

what do you think?

abe_froman
11-28-2009, 04:35 AM
you'll see some(like there was before his great start),and there will be more of it.but def not an ncaa killer

i know your euro and take alot of pride in it but thinking this is overboard, even for you

did coming straight out of h.s. and going into the nba(when that was allowed)destroy the ncaa? no.so why would this

GoatMilk
11-28-2009, 04:38 AM
no

Hellcrooner
11-28-2009, 04:40 AM
im making this thought regardless of my country.

in fact this thought comes from thinking in the universal language of GREEn PAPERs!!

of course once the age rule is out the very top 3 or 4 will jsut declare for the draft after HS but the ones later that would be takne later in the first round they can get paid MORE and then in 2 or 3 years go into lottery

VRP723
11-28-2009, 04:49 AM
It's actually better for college basketball that these players aren't going to come for one year and then leave, it lets coaches actually build a program not go year by year, maybe more of the John Wall's who only have one intention, going to the NBA, will skip college ball and go pro, better for the game IMO

ChiSox219
11-28-2009, 04:55 AM
Didn't Jennings have a blog during his Euro experience? And didn't he talk about how difficult it was and that you must have your family with for support? Oh and what about when he said the team was often late paying him and they treated him as a child, inferior to his teammates?

I think most kids will continue going to college even if they are one and done and any NCAA coach should be happy to have someone like John Wall, even if it is for only one season.

_KB24_
11-28-2009, 05:02 AM
The one year rule out of high school is the stupidest rule in pro sports. Many of these high school phenoms come from struggling families and they need to make money. This just leads to scandals and controversies in college

lakerboy
11-28-2009, 05:16 AM
Living away from your family, your comfort zone, and especially away from your country is a big big big learning experience. IMO, it's the one thing that changed Jennings the most. He didn't get to play really as much in Europe, and I think he improved his game mainly because he is a gym rat.

abe_froman
11-28-2009, 05:18 AM
The one year rule out of high school is the stupidest rule in pro sports. Many of these high school phenoms come from struggling families and they need to make money. This just leads to scandals and controversies in college

you do know not every one that was drafted during that era went straight from hs right?

anyways its produced better basketball(higher level rookies) and thats all i care about

_KB24_
11-28-2009, 05:27 AM
you do know not every one that was drafted during that era went straight from hs right?

anyways its produced better basketball(higher level rookies) and thats all i care about

Yes, your point? I wrote phenoms. Almost all the HS standouts went straight to the NBA. Only exception I could think of is Melo, and he would still be a lottery pick if he went in.

Faneik
11-28-2009, 06:53 AM
I'd hope Jennings' success would start a trend.

Players might lose some exposure by leaving the US, but if the player's family is in immediate financial need, an European contract is a good option.

Ray_R
11-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Didn't Jennings have a blog during his Euro experience? And didn't he talk about how difficult it was and that you must have your family with for support? Oh and what about when he said the team was often late paying him and they treated him as a child, inferior to his teammates?

I think most kids will continue going to college even if they are one and done and any NCAA coach should be happy to have someone like John Wall, even if it is for only one season.

yea he would complain alot about Euro Ball....What about Jeremy Tyler going to europe was one of the worst mistakes oof his lifes.. he probally went from 1st pick to who knows how low

Ray_R
11-28-2009, 10:38 AM
I mean.

- skipped hihg school-

- Went to europe-

- Probably learnt a ton bout life and about fiting in new situations wich coudl only help him to adjust to nba.

- Did a middle step between the level of competence of hs and the nba since euroleague is MUCH tougher than ncaa nowdays.

- Maybe he even got some of the fundamentals , BIG fundamentals that ncaa coaches seem to have forgotten an subsituted with only athletic training and that in europe are taking care of with the result of making allstars like dirk or pau that cant compete phisicaly with americans but make up for it with dfundamentals.

- Now he is teairng it up in nba.

ok its psoble some HS decide to make te sam thng to scape the age rule of stern ( wich by t way will be abolished by next year to avoid the talented hschoolers skiping ncaa)

Think this way you are one of the top 30 players in hschool , coaches tellyou you hacve a star fture in nba but that you still have a lot to learn , you are very raw and tht you need 2 or 3 years of ncaa. before entering .

Ok so you are this guy and an european team comes and gives you a 6 milion tax free dollar contract for playing that same amount of time you woudl spend in Ncaa playing euroleague being treated like an idol and taking a bette ormation since you are playing against tougher competition.

wich means each year 15-20 top prospects that wouldstar for ncaa an fill seats for ncaa will be filling seats in europe and getting paid for doing so and then afr cntract is iup they go enter lottery and tear it up in nba because they are more nba ready.

did i firgot to tell that if you go to ncaa and have a career ending injury you dont see a cent and end up working in mcdonalds?

maybe im wrong thinkg ONly 50% would say yes maye 25 out of the top 30 will like to earn money for themselves and their families instead o winning monney for ncaa officials and colleges.

Wich leads to.....end of ncaa? or end of amateurism and they are obliged to pay the players or allow the players to have merchandising contracts to keep them?

what do you think?

But how many european come over and fail in the Nba

FlakeyFool
11-28-2009, 11:52 AM

alot

Hellcrooner
11-28-2009, 01:39 PM
percentually less than americans :P

anyway thas another thig completley tha tis worhty of anohter thread

" how bad are american scouts measuring euro players"

i mean i cant really think of europlayers that were selected in the right place in the draft

they either go way overated ( darko, tikivilli, andriuskevicius, araujo,korolev)

underated ( parker, pau gasol, dirk)

or WAAAYYYYYYYYY Underated ( Scola, navarro, Marc Gasol, Ginobili , all second rounders :p)

MiamiHeat
11-28-2009, 02:02 PM
^ Ginobili is from Argentina, making him not European

Jaji
11-28-2009, 02:08 PM
I was thinking about that. Why play 1 year of NCAA, and make millions for a school that you're leaving next year when you can go to Europe, make a lil cash, hone your skills, bone European women, become an international star, and still be a lottery pick?

Jaji
11-28-2009, 02:09 PM

Excellent point.

Jaji
11-28-2009, 02:10 PM

We're not talking about Europeans. We're talking about Americans going to Europe for 1 year instead of college for 1 year.

HouRealCoach
11-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Once they see these things happen they will try to stop them from happening like they did skipping college even though we have had.... Moses, Lebron, KG, Kobe, Dwight, T-Mac, J-Smoove, O'Neal.... They will eventually make people stay two years in college after.... Durant, Rose, Evans etc.... NOw they are going to try to stop this....

Iodine
11-28-2009, 02:17 PM
I mean its not like he said that his going to europe was a huge mistake. wait........

EaglesJackson10
11-28-2009, 02:25 PM
No i think that the american highschool players will still like to play in front of america in NCAA. Jennings didnt chose to go he was unable to pass an Entrance exam to Arizona.

Hellcrooner
11-28-2009, 02:26 PM
^ Ginobili is from Argentina, making him not European
pity that he was playing in italy and he learned hsi basketball there.

and it was italy where scouts had to scout him.

NYKnicks4511
11-28-2009, 02:27 PM
I definitely think that it's plausible, especially for kids in tough situations.

Jennings grew up in Compton, so by taking that contract in Rome, he got his mom out of the hood, and learned much more about how to be a 'basketball player', rather than an eccentric guard with a scoring mentality (which he might have been in high school)

I don't think a whole lot of kids will skip out on college, but it definitely opens that door for people in difficult situations and I'm very happy for Jennings....even though the Knicks didn't draft him like I told them to ;)

BALLER71
11-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Jennings was very smart by going to Europe. He got some money and played against tougher competition.
And now, we see how it's worked out...

Ray_R
11-28-2009, 02:55 PM
We're not talking about Europeans. We're talking about Americans going to Europe for 1 year instead of college for 1 year.

i was just responding to

I mean.

- skipped hihg school-

- Went to europe-

- Maybe he even got some of the fundamentals , BIG fundamentals that ncaa coaches seem to have forgotten an subsituted with only athletic training and that in europe are taking care of with the result of making allstars like dirk or pau that cant compete phisicaly with americans but make up for it with dfundamentals.- Now he is teairng it up in nba.

what do you think?

runforrestrunx9
11-28-2009, 03:00 PM
i doubt it becomes a problem but if it does the nba could have 3 options
1- take away 1 year in college rule (makes most sense)
2- if you play euro, you cant play in nba (unlikely)
3- if u want 2 play nba, you must play atleast one year ncaa if u played euro or not (probly not)

BTW does any1 kno wats goin on with ricky rubio??

Jaji
11-28-2009, 03:06 PM
i was just responding to

Oh ok. But he still has a valid point. He was saying that Jennings got good coaching over there, focused on fundamentals. A lot of Europeans have the fundamentals down but they lack the athletic ability. He obviously has the talent, now throw in some good coaching and you get, well, Brandon Jennings, G, Milwaukee Bucks.

xwashableclothx
11-28-2009, 03:52 PM
I think Jennings is just an isolated case, not all players can go play professional ball right out of high school. I really don't see to many people going overseas to do what Jennings did, I mean he got like 5 minutes a game overseas. Even 1 year of college basketball would probally be more helpfull to most players.

VCaintdead17
11-28-2009, 04:40 PM
I think a few players will try and do what Jennings did, then come to the NBA, fail miserably, and then it won't happen anymore.

mrblisterdundee
11-28-2009, 04:42 PM
The reason Jennings is so good is the international experience. He would be great, but I don't think he would be totally dominant in the NCAA without the extra experience. It's not like he started out like he is right now. He had to learn like everybody else.

ManRam
11-28-2009, 04:48 PM
percentually less than americans :P

anyway thas another thig completley tha tis worhty of anohter thread

" how bad are american scouts measuring euro players"

i mean i cant really think of europlayers that were selected in the right place in the draft

they either go way overated ( darko, tikivilli, andriuskevicius, araujo,korolev)

underated ( parker, pau gasol, dirk)

or WAAAYYYYYYYYY Underated ( Scola, navarro, Marc Gasol, Ginobili , all second rounders :p)

I like to read your posts strictly for entertainment posters. "Tikivilli" got a major LOL from me. Good work.

He's not going to kill anything. Going overseas is a huge commitment. It's so much more convenient to stay here and go to school. Plus, the whole college environment is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

AddiX
11-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Jennings is a prodigy coming out of High School which is why he got all that money and went to Europe. Most people wont do what he did unless its for the money.

You gotta realize he probably is a top 3 pick if he plays NCAA.

VCaintdead17
11-28-2009, 05:08 PM
He had to learn like everybody else.

Nooope

ldc62
11-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Some players actually wanna go to College...

Also moving to a foreign country not knowing if its going to pan out is a risk many don't wanna take. Im glad it worked out for Jennings, but I doubt that many kids will wanna go to Europe.

Jaji
11-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Jennings is a prodigy coming out of High School which is why he got all that money and went to Europe. Most people wont do what he did unless its for the money.

That's just an oversight by NBA front offices, especially Minnesota even though Flynn is my boy.

ChiSox219
11-28-2009, 05:35 PM

Exactly, most people say his draft stock was unaffected by playing in Europe, but if he had played 1 year in college and balled like Derrick Rose, who's to say he doesn't go top 5?

The gap in pay from the #10 pick to #1 was over $2.3 million for the first year and $2.5 million in year 2.

I'm not saying Jennings would've been the #1 pick, but I do think he could have been taken higher if he was playing 30mpg for a major University.

However, from an outsider's perspective, it seems that the greatest benefit Jennings got from playing abroad was an increased level of maturity which you cannot put a price tag on.

ManRam
11-28-2009, 05:41 PM
I think it was kind of fluky. I don't think going overseas made him the player he is...I think he would have been this good regardless. It's coincidence in other words. I don't think he alone is going to cause a lot of guys to follow suit. He was a top 3 prospect out of high school, then fell a bit for various reasons. He was a stud before he went overseas. I think going overseas hurt his draft stock in all honesty.

Kakaroach
11-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Him playing in Europe didn't make him this great player, but it did teach him maturity and team lessons. His draft stock was severely lowered. Before he went to Europe, he was projected as a top 5 pick by most mock drafts.

elizur
11-28-2009, 11:08 PM
His stock did not get lowered though because of his play. Maybe, for some teams, but the Knicks passed on him because of his personallity and his pre-draft antics. Notihng to do with his stats.

knickerbockerny
11-28-2009, 11:18 PM
I don't think so, because there is nothing like entering college as a teenager fresh out of highschool. College life is something that most kids dream of. So the choice between going to college for a year or overseas for a year, becomes one sided. You can't forget that Jennings did not have it easy over there and he took his mother and brother with him. How many people have the luxury of being able to do that!

mjt20mik
11-28-2009, 11:49 PM
I still think these kids should go to college for 3-4 years. Earn a degree, then get drafted into the NBA. Most players in the NBA don't go into their prime until 29 / 30, so I don't understand why they just go to college for 1 year. I mean, they are basically getting a free ride for education, and nothing builds character and maturity than knowing your priorities and earning them. Plus the average teenager goes to college at like 18, which means after a 4 year program, the kid is 22, which I believe still gives him about 10 - 12 years in the NBA (excluding injuries and such).

JasonJohnHorn
11-29-2009, 12:34 AM
What Jennings did will be repeated, and unless Stern adjusts the age limit and salary cap rules regarding the buying out of european contracts, we may see a lot of great young talent play in Europe. Guys like Rick Rubio have stayed in Europe to earn bigger bucks than Stern's rookie salary cap will allow and teams aren't allowed to spend enough money to buy out their contracts (Splittner for example, a very talented center drafted by the Spurs a couple of years ago has been staying in Europe because the Spurs are only allowed to offer him about a fifth of what he's getting paid in Europe). so far this has really only effected European players, but if young American kids start skipping college for Europe, Stern may find much of the young talent staying over in Europe for the first three years of their careers. Not good for the depth and competetiveness of the league.

Hellcrooner
11-29-2009, 12:38 AM
^thats my poinht

and watch out when splitter joins the spurs he is CLearLY better than Marc Gasol.

Hellcrooner
11-29-2009, 12:39 AM
also the rokie sclae is waht is making many euros to declare for the draft two or three years before they actually want to play in nba so they fall into the second round and can get wahtever slary they need ot get rid of buyots etc.

WSU Tony
11-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Everybody was saying to pass on Rubio because he was an "international" player yet Jennings has come in and done a nice job. Yet.... people still don't want Rubio. You people are strangely inconstant.

Raph12
11-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Everybody was saying to pass on Rubio because he was an "international" player yet Jennings has come in and done a nice job. Yet.... people still don't want Rubio. You people are strangely inconstant.

Jennings has a scorer's mentality, Rubio is a pass-first type guy, plus no one expected Jennings to do what he's done in such a short time.