PDA

View Full Version : Sixers appear ready to bring back Iverson

cubsbullsbears
11-28-2009, 03:56 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/10440372/Sixers-appear-ready-to-bring-back-Iverson

PHILADELPHIA - Allen Iverson not only may come out of retirement in a matter of days. But he also could very well return to the franchise where all of his glory began.

Numerous team sources confirmed on Friday that the 76ers' brass has already talked — and talks will only escalate this weekend — about bringing Iverson back to Philadelphia. Possibly as early as next week.

Stephen A. Smith of FOX Sports Radio. ( / Getty Images)

"It's being seriously considered," one Sixers official said before his team lost to the Atlanta Hawks on Friday night. "We know the history. We know the ups and downs. But we're also aware of what (Iverson) can do and that he's needed here. We simply can't just ignore the upside he'd bring. Not with our situation."

As of Friday night, coach Eddie Jordan was on board with bringing Iverson back, according to sources. So were officials within the club's hierarchy, along with the team's executive adviser, Sonny Hill.

The rest of Jordan's coaching staff is amenable to Iverson's return, including assistant and former Sixer Aaron McKie, one of Iverson's best friends, as well as assistant coach Randy Ayers — the former Sixers coach who had his share of run-ins with Iverson, ultimately lasting just 52 games before he was dismissed by former president and GM Billy King in 2003-04.

The Sixers say they are aware it will cost them less than $3 million to get Iverson — "possibly less than $2 million, according to another team source — and have every intention of acting on it, probably as early as Tuesday.

The Sixers traded away Allen Iverson when he was averaging more than 30 points. (Brian Babineau / Getty Images)

With the Sixers' scheduled to play San Antonio on Sunday, then Dallas on Monday, sources said it's entirely possible Jordan will fly from Dallas to Atlanta to meet with Iverson on Tuesday. That also happens to be the day Iverson is scheduled to meet with his former coach at Georgetown, John Thompson.

As far as the Sixers are concerned, it's almost a no-brainer.

Entering Friday night, the Sixers were ranked 29th in league attendance, averaging 11,820 fans. Only the Memphis Grizzlies are worse.

Jordan is said to be incredibly frustrated with everything from Elton Brand's work ethic to Andre Iguodala's inability to make plays off the dribble. The one player he absolutely loves, guard Louie Williams, is out for eight weeks with a broken jaw.

"Eddie needs a playmaker," another source said. "He needs an identity. Something to create some excitement."

To add to the misery, the Sixers are 5-11, averaging just 97.6 points. Their only bona fide shooter is Jason Kapono. So there's no question Iverson is appealing to the Sixers at the moment; even to team chairman Ed Snider, who screamed, "We're gonna trade him," before actually shipping Iverson (averaging 31.2 points per game at the time) to Denver in 2006.

The question remains, however, whether the Sixers would be appealing to Iverson.

"Scratch that," one of Iverson's confidants told me last night. "He's interested."

One thing's for sure: If Iverson returns to Philadelphia, he will be a starter.

Team sources confirmed on Friday that Iverson would be a starter because Jordan had planned on starting Williams with rookie Jrue Holiday anyway, just to put some excitement and more ball-handlers into his Princeton-style offense. So even once Williams returns from injury, he'd be in the starting lineup with Iverson.

That means Iverson will return as a starter. He'll be back in Philadelphia. And with the talent the Sixers already have on their roster, he could be the missing piece that propels them back to the playoffs.

Assuming, of course, the Sixers are willing to pull the trigger.

Under normal circumstances, considering the manner in which Iverson departed, the Sixers wouldn't do this.

"But let's face it: We're very, very boring right now," a team source said. "We have absolutely nothing to lose by bringing Iverson back. Nothing at all."

GoatMilk
11-28-2009, 03:57 AM
last sentence looks like a done deal

abe_froman
11-28-2009, 04:00 AM
think it'll happen.should be fun to follow,think he could do some good

seriously if he does well,he'll be a hero in that city

lakerboy
11-28-2009, 04:06 AM
Woohooo!!

JMac9
11-28-2009, 04:06 AM
He already is a hero here, this city absolutely loves his "never give up" attitude.

JLynn943
11-28-2009, 04:08 AM
He already is a hero here, this city absolutely loves his "never give up" attitude.

yeah, it's time he comes home

cubsbullsbears
11-28-2009, 04:09 AM
he belongs in philly i think everyone is rooting for him to go back

abe_froman
11-28-2009, 04:16 AM

i mean even more so,maybe i should have put "a god"

Lakersfan2483
11-28-2009, 04:20 AM
Good to hear he may be back in the league and get the chance to finish his career in a place it all started.

kingofdaburbs19
11-28-2009, 04:21 AM
thats gonna be cool as hell seein him back in Philly I hope he does well and he gets some playin time

abe_froman
11-28-2009, 04:22 AM
thats gonna be cool as hell seein him back in Philly I hope he does well and he gets some playin time

the article says he'd be starting

BlondeBomber41
11-28-2009, 04:23 AM
Just another team he would be able to jack up shots on, sneak into the playoffs possibly and get ***** slapped by the higher seeded team he matched up with. Would be a neat story though, so why not?

Public Enemy #1
11-28-2009, 04:25 AM
That would be great to see, could be a big story if he gets the 76ers winning and deep into the playoffs.

Rico Suave
11-28-2009, 04:30 AM
2nd most overrated player in NBA history behind Jordan...

Philly76
11-28-2009, 05:37 AM
This is a blessing for us, sixers fans!!!! Finally!!!!! AI, you know you're more than welcome here!!

xSolidx
11-28-2009, 05:48 AM
Great signing for Philly if it comes through

AI will sell tickets, which they need badly. I believe they are ranked dead last in attendance which is surprising to hear since Philly fans are passionate about their sport teams.

I really do think Philly will get the 6th-8th seed if they sign AI. Too bad my Knicks are too dumb to realize we literally have nothing to do if we signed AI.

bigsams50
11-28-2009, 05:50 AM
This would be perfect for AI, go back to where it all started

SeoulBeatz
11-28-2009, 06:13 AM
If this happens I will be the happiest man ALIVE.

WOOOOOO, We're gonna suck anyways, let's go out in style!

SeoulBeatz
11-28-2009, 06:15 AM

alright, i can understand people thinking a.i is overrated, but Jordan? blasphemy, thats a sin haha

bigsams50
11-28-2009, 06:32 AM

Your joking right?

So Co Jo
11-28-2009, 06:41 AM
what are knicks fans going to say when iverson drops 40 again with his price tag being around $3 mil

TheKing23
11-28-2009, 07:15 AM

:facepalm:

shep33
11-28-2009, 08:04 AM
Never shoulda left Philly. But great pickup for them... could you have imagined this team a year ago with A.I, Iggy, and a healthy Brand, plus Dalember, Young, Lou Williams... woulda been pretty nice if EB coulda stayed healthy, and AI wouldn't have left. I think its great that he might go back there, don't know however how much better that team will be, but either way they need another guard with Lou out.

DenButsu
11-28-2009, 08:20 AM
For AI's sake, I hope this is true. It would be a much more gracious way for him to end his career than where things currently stand.

Sportfan
11-28-2009, 08:51 AM
what happend to retirement? i need to start watching ESPN again

The_Mac22
11-28-2009, 09:05 AM
I hope he does come back.

He's always been one of my favorite basketball players.

$ NyC $
11-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Would be a perfect match. With Lou Williams down and Jrue Holiday not ready to contribute yet, AI has the starting job and is still gonna start at SG when Williams is back. Plus, when he finally does choose 2 retire he'll do it where it all started.

HouRealCoach
11-28-2009, 09:48 AM
He needs a legit PF he always gets ex-prime players....

Wallace, Webber, Ranolph, Martin, and now Brand.... Hell atleast he's gonna play but this is the same thing the Knicks did

pcone78
11-28-2009, 10:00 AM

behind Jordan? Your just an idiot. no more posts from you. Thanks

Paris Bulls
11-28-2009, 10:11 AM
i hope they do bring back A.I. this is most def gonna be a good thing for him and the 76ers. hope he signs a contract extension and retire with the 76ers

randomness
11-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Please AI, go to the 76ers! I just want to see him play..

spreadeagle
11-28-2009, 11:08 AM

besides Jordan!?!?!? where should I start.....

Kakaroach
11-28-2009, 11:34 AM
At least he's coming back to where it all started. Good luck AI....

SA5195
11-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Please get Iverson back !

Raph12
11-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Love to see him retire a Sixer, he was the GOAT of that franchise without a doubt and it just seemed wrong when he played anywhere else.

Great move for both sides!

AirJordanXVIII
11-28-2009, 02:19 PM
This better not blow up next week. Make it happen.

AirJordanXVIII
11-28-2009, 02:21 PM

Explain your ridiculous comment.

EaglesJackson10
11-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Wow that guys and idiot^.

Definatley going to make my way down to some of these games if he does come back this is great news.

Rico Suave
11-28-2009, 02:38 PM
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Suave View Post
Last edited by pcone78; Today at 06:03 AM. Reason: typo

Guy can't spell but calls people an idiot:facepalm:

djeller1139
11-28-2009, 02:40 PM
It would be awesome for Iverson to return to where it all began, a la Ken Griffey Jr.

Please do it A.I. :pray:

BADizzleBoY
11-28-2009, 02:40 PM

srsly??

BADizzleBoY
11-28-2009, 02:41 PM
All-American

Quote:

You have no basketball knowledge

pd7631
11-28-2009, 02:48 PM
It would be awesome for Iverson to return to where it all began, a la Ken Griffey Jr.

Please do it A.I. :pray:

Right on man. Ken Griffey Jr. is my favorite baseball player of all time and AI is my favorite basketball player of all time, now they can both be back home in the same year.

If this actually happens, I have renewed faith in god.

ko8e24
11-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Just another team he would be able to jack up shots on, sneak into the playoffs possibly and get ***** slapped by the higher seeded team he matched up with. Would be a neat story though, so why not?

ignorance is wut u display, and i must say if there is anything in life that u may have a chance to be good at, then this for sure is it.

Giants-49ers-Ws
11-28-2009, 03:02 PM
great news!

Jonathan2323
11-28-2009, 03:02 PM
i wonder if another team will be interested now that he might sign with a team.

ko8e24
11-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Never shoulda left Philly. But great pickup for them... could you have imagined this team a year ago with A.I, Iggy, and a healthy Brand, plus Dalember, Young, Lou Williams... woulda been pretty nice if EB coulda stayed healthy, and AI wouldn't have left. I think its great that he might go back there, don't know however how much better that team will be, but either way they need another guard with Lou out.

in life, everything happens for a reason. im glad there is strong potential for him returning to the franchise he built.

kjoke
11-28-2009, 03:08 PM
All-American

Quote:

you know theres a quote button and ur telling me that youv never had a typo? Also,
This is a sports forum not an English forum, so before you go around talking about spelling maybe you should go get some b-ball knowledge before you make dumb post like Jordan is overrated.why dont you give us some facts that makes you think jordan is overrated?

ko8e24
11-28-2009, 03:10 PM
i wonder if another team will be interested now that he might sign with a team.

uhh no. IMO, the other teams that would be willing to sign him would not fit "his criteria".

look, this is what it comes down to, and after listening to eric snow and kenny smith (close friends of AI, and the fact that snow and AI were a backcourt duo in Phili), they basically said this:

AI does want to win a championship, but he does not want to be a ring chaser. If he wins a title with a team that was on the verge or something like that, he'd feel he didn't truly earn it. He wants to be a "part of" the foundation that leads a team to a title. He does not want to be "the man" and he is willing to play along side another superstar or all-stars. And of course, if he wants to be "part of" the foundation that elevates a team to a title, he (by default) must start and earn major minutes. So with that being said, the only options were the Memphis Grizzlies (who didn't start AI), and the New York Knicks (who didnt want to sign him).

At this stage of his career, he realizes that he does not have enough time to be "part of" the foundation (like he, eric snow, aaron mckie, etc built the foundation for the sixers in the late 90s and early 2000s), but if his career has to end without a title, atleast he ends his career the way he wanted to and on his own terms. The Philadelphia 76ers are IMO the perfect situation. Lou Williams will be back towards the end of January/start of February, they have Young, Speights, Brand, Iguodala, and Holliday (a rookie who is really good, but not ready to be a major contributor to elevate the sixers to the playoffs).

SA5195
11-28-2009, 03:21 PM
I just wanna see him play, its too soon for him to retire.

Shady66
11-28-2009, 03:27 PM
I really hope this happens.

MattColby
11-28-2009, 03:37 PM
To soon for retirement is right. Bring him back Philly, that'd be sweet.

Raph12
11-28-2009, 03:55 PM

Bryon Russel?

papirico52
11-28-2009, 04:06 PM
nothing left for me to but....................:dance:

AI4MVP
11-28-2009, 04:17 PM
two things:

i feel extremely happy for allen iverson and for the philidelphia 76ers and there fans if this goes through. Allen Iverson is one of the most beloved phildelphia athletes in the history of sport. they belong togethr, and it wouold be great for the hardcore AI fans to get to see there man put on a sixers jersey all over again.

and the other thing:

the guy that said michael jordan was overrated should have a lifetime ban from not only PSD, but from breathing. please immediately go drink a knife you ******** ***

Raps18-19 Champ
11-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Cool.

I would have liked it though if he went to NY and they traded for Mcgrady.

I think both would have excelled in a run and gun system.

IversonIsKrazy
11-28-2009, 04:22 PM
i am really really hoping for this. Philly is 5-11, and man AI in a sixer uni would just be great to see again. Pretty weird how Jordan said he'd start both Williams and AI at the same time when Lou comes back.

Next 8 weeks:
PG: AI/Jrue
SG: Iggy/Willi
SF: Thad/Kapono
PF: Brand/Speights
C: Dalembert/?

w/ williams back

PG: Lou/Jrue
SG: AI/Willie
SF: Iggy/Kapono
PF: Thad/Speights
C: Brand/?

pippsux
11-28-2009, 04:24 PM
I suggested this before, this is where he made his name and this is where he should end his career. Besides the team is struggling right now and a starting spot I believe just opened up. But coach Jordan, beware, AI is a known coach killer, don't let the charm fool you.

mrblisterdundee
11-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Philadelphia is one of the few situations where both parties can get what they want. I thought Portland was another place where both parties would have been pleased. Iverson is a good fit for a team that needs a combo guard and instant offense in a half court system.

FlakeyFool
11-28-2009, 06:34 PM

rofl, this made me laugh.

goku
11-28-2009, 06:53 PM
to me if AI is back on the 76ers they should play small

ivey a 6ft4in pg that can guard pg and sg
AI
AI2
young
brand

maybe they can play better that way

ElMarroAfamado
11-28-2009, 10:27 PM
this would be pretty cool...just to see him retire with the sixers

mzgrizz
11-28-2009, 10:41 PM
I agree he needs to go back to Philly and finish his career there. Maybe he was jacking Memphis all along to try and get in this position with the Philly FO? He sure wasn't a "never give up" kind of guy here.
So best of luck to you Philly fans and I 'll be looking forward to 4/10/10.

Trouble87
11-28-2009, 10:54 PM
great news.... never thought he would be back in Philly

hope this turns out to be true

Westbrook36
11-28-2009, 10:58 PM
1. We have the worst attendence
2. We havent had much going on
3. Bringing in someone who can create for himself is something we need
4. What eles do we have to look forward to? The ONLY problem I have with this is it would delay Thad Young learning how to create for himself more and Jrue would get less time (Though at times we can run Jrue - AI - Iggy - Brand - Sammy)