PDA

View Full Version : Ron Artest & Sister Accused Of Welfare Fraud

Fresno
11-26-2009, 06:42 PM
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/21726762/detail.html

Former Indiana Pacers star Ron Artest and his sister are at the center of a welfare fraud investigation.

Police and housing authorities raided the home Latoya Holmes-Ivey and her three children rent at 336 E. Burgess Ave. Wednesday morning, 6News' Rafael Sanchez reported.

Holmes-Ivey was receiving taxpayer-supported rent assistance because she claimed she had no income, but investigators said she may have been getting money from her brother.

Housing authorities said that if the allegations are true, Holmes-Ivey would have used at least $34,000 in taxpayer money she was not entitled to.

Some neighbors said they were skeptical of Holmes-Ivey after learning who her brother was.

"I never understood why she was on assistance because of that, when she told me he was her brother," said Marcia Taylor. "The people who do need the assistance don't get it, when the people who don't need it get a lot of time."

"If you have a brother like that anyway, why do you to commit fraud or whatever?" said neighbor Filippo Borregine.

:mad:

Wilson
11-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Holmes-Ivey was receiving taxpayer-supported rent assistance because she claimed she had no income, but investigators said she may have been getting money from her brother.

How does that make you ineligible to receive benefits though? I thought it was only employment that counted in this sort of stuff. Money from your brother isn't an official payment :shrug:

Either way, I hope Ron Artest hasn't been breaking the law, and I hope this doesn't become a huge distraction for the Lakers.

bigsams50
11-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Well this is weird

RaptorsFanatic
11-26-2009, 06:51 PM
LOOOOL NBA Salary and Welfare, don't mix.

RaptorsFanatic
11-26-2009, 06:51 PM

Hood ******.

Raps18-19 Champ
11-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Wouldn't this be the sisters problem and not Ron's?

Highlight
11-26-2009, 06:57 PM

My exact thoughts.

Stories like this get more views, so it's probably just blown WAY out of proportion.

Wilson
11-26-2009, 07:12 PM

Well it could prove to be quite a distraction for Ron. But yeah, I don't think he's going to be in trouble with the law :shrug:

arkanian215
11-26-2009, 07:19 PM
didnt ron work at a circuit city just to get the employee discount (and didnt put in the hours)?

commonsense12
11-26-2009, 07:34 PM
How do you not know your sister is on Welfare? Also i dont know the area that she lives in but if i was making millions i would not have my sister living in a bad neighborhood. If she lives in a good neighborhood then how does the government not know that she was scamming them?

Welfare is so abused these days its just sad. People rely on it so much because some dont want to work they are just slaves to the system. Its just sad and i find it hard to believe he did not know his sister was on welfare. If he wasnt that close to her, then why did he give her money. Just doesnt add up to be honest. Sad just sad

GodsSon
11-26-2009, 07:52 PM
remember the time ODB filmed himself picking up his welfare cheque in the midst of Wu's prime? lol

Wiz kids
11-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Welfare.....

spreadeagle
11-26-2009, 08:08 PM
remember the time ODB filmed himself picking up his welfare cheque in the midst of Wu's prime? lol

yes! hes like who dont want free money? hahahahha

philab
11-26-2009, 10:07 PM

Well if he knew anything about it, he was complicit in committing welfare fraud. This is definitely, definitely his problem too.

kblo247
11-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Ron isn't accused of anything. He simply paid all his sisters bills, and she chose to get welfare on the side for pocket cash in place of working and listing how mcuh money was actually coming to her.

His sister made the choice not him.

You all would see that if you read a whole article before trolling so you can say we told you he would be a distraction:

Federal housing authorities are investigating claims that the sister of professional basketball player Ron Artest hid bill payments her brother made for her subsidized Eastside home.

Investigators searched Latoya Holmes-Ivey's home Wednesday, searching for evidence that Artest paid her utility bills and that she had failed to accurately report her income to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Holmes-Ivey could face fraud charges if she didn't report all her sources of income, said Rufus "Bud" Myers, executive director of the Indianapolis Housing Agency.

Neither Artest, a Los Angeles Lakers and former Indiana Pacers player, nor his sister have been accused of any wrongdoing, Myers said.

"As far as we are concerned, (Artest) is just a guy helping out his family," he said. "But it is his sister's responsibility to report it and try to recover some money if that's the case."

David Bauman, Artest's agent, said he had not been contacted by HUD or any law enforcement agency and was not aware of the allegations.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20091126/LOCAL1803/911260447/Artest-s-sister-part-of-housing-probe

Move on and find something else to troll about

philab
11-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Ron isn't accused of anything. He simply paid all his sisters bills, and she chose to get welfare on the side for pocket cash in place of working and listing how mcuh money was actually coming to her.

His sister made the choice not him.

You all would see that if you read a whole article before trolling so you can say we told you he would be a distraction:

Move on and find something else to troll about

No one is trolling. This thread isn't even a page long. Only one person has said anything negative about Artest in this thread. No need to get all huffy just because this is a Laker.

This doesn't sound like a big deal, but I wouldn't dismiss it quite so quickly. The fact that "neither has been accused" merely refers to the fact that authorities are "investigating claims." And like I said earlier, if she was defrauding welfare agents and Artest knew about it, he could be charged with facilitating that crime. That's a long way from now, but don't be the opposite of what you accuse these phantom trolls of being.

Jaji
11-26-2009, 11:27 PM
I don't get it. Her brother has a job, yes. But she doesn't. What does Ron's paycheck have to do with her? They're not living together. He's now financially responsible for his entire family?

Those taxpayers can kiss my :moon:. You're gonna pay taxes regardless. If you're so concerned where the $ goes then donate to the charity of your choice and write it off.

kblo247
11-26-2009, 11:31 PM
Don't you know athletes are supposed to foot the bill for their whole families when they make it big :p

runforrestrunx9
11-26-2009, 11:40 PM
their parents must be so proud

commonsense12
11-26-2009, 11:50 PM
I don't get it. Her brother has a job, yes. But she doesn't. What does Ron's paycheck have to do with her? They're not living together. He's now financially responsible for his entire family?

Those taxpayers can kiss my :moon:. You're gonna pay taxes regardless. If you're so concerned where the $ goes then donate to the charity of your choice and write it off.

Rons paycheck has to do with her because if he was supporting her, she would need to declare what she is given by him as income. By her claiming she has no income to welfare she is defrauding the system.

Lastly your taxpayer comment is just stupid. Because of all the bull **** claims you have your taxes increased on a regualr basis. Dont you watch the news? There are at least 3 different tax increases that are on the table currently. One for the war, one for sugar drinks, such as soda and energy drinks and one now for taxing stock trades. I can obviously see your knowledge of finance is limited. You cant just donate the money that you have to pay for taxes and write it all off for charity. You should seriously faceplam yourself.

Rico Suave
11-26-2009, 11:56 PM
What does this have to do with Artest?!And why would they say ex Pacer?Is this old?

Jaji
11-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Rons paycheck has to do with her because if he was supporting her, she would need to declare what she is given by him as income. By her claiming she has no income to welfare she is defrauding the system.

Lastly your taxpayer comment is just stupid. Because of all the bull **** claims you have your taxes increased on a regualr basis. Dont you watch the news? There are at least 3 different tax increases that are on the table currently. One for the war, one for sugar drinks, such as soda and energy drinks and one now for taxing stock trades. I can obviously see your knowledge of finance is limited. You cant just donate the money that you have to pay for taxes and write it all off for charity. You should seriously faceplam yourself.

Whether she's getting welfare or not, taxpayers are going to pay taxes, that was my point. If you're not happy where your money goes, you can vote, and/or you can give it to whomever you please.

At least I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it like you , Timothy Geithner.

commonsense12
11-27-2009, 01:08 AM
Whether she's getting welfare or not, taxpayers are going to pay taxes, that was my point. If you're not happy where your money goes, you can vote, and/or you can give it to whomever you please.

At least I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it like you , Timothy Geithner.

The amount of taxes that you will pay will differ and especially if you dont hold people accountable. I do also vote and i am glad she got caught. I am not going to lose sleep over it but i will not just say that oh its no big deal we pay taxes anyways. Maybe if people would hold more people accountable and vote out people that allow this to happen it would change and we would not have people like yourself say " oh well keep milking me for as much tax dollars as possible". I personally wont do that. I say hold her accountable and if Artest had anything to do with it (which i dunno if he did or didnt) hold him accountable to.

philab
11-27-2009, 01:14 AM
What does this have to do with Artest?!And why would they say ex Pacer?Is this old?

It's from TheIndyChannel, whatever the hell that is. Anyway, the "ex-Pacer" part is just to give his closest relation to Indianapolis.

slack_justin
11-27-2009, 02:03 AM
whatever, i dont blame ron but his sister needs to either get a job or live off of ron. It is b.s.

Chronz
11-27-2009, 02:08 AM
Ron should know better than to be giving out money to loved ones

arkanian215
11-27-2009, 12:26 PM

60% of nba players go broke after five years after retirement. the majority is probably the set of second rounders who get drafted, play, buy lots of cool and fun stuff and then go broke. you usually dont see someone of ron's salary go broke but i'd imagine guys with gambling addictions, constant materialism (cough TWill), and just flaunting their money would go broke easily.

ron is distracted. (http://hitsusa.com/images/natalin-avci-photos.jpg)

SLY WILLIAMS
11-27-2009, 12:51 PM
How does that make you ineligible to receive benefits though? I thought it was only employment that counted in this sort of stuff. Money from your brother isn't an official payment :shrug:

Employment is not the only kind of income that needs to be disclosed. SS, child support, gifts, ect are all examples of income that needs to be disclosed.

skinsfan4life80
11-27-2009, 01:54 PM
60% of nba players go broke after five years after retirement. the majority is probably the set of second rounders who get drafted, play, buy lots of cool and fun stuff and then go broke. you usually dont see someone of ron's salary go broke but i'd imagine guys with gambling addictions, constant materialism (cough TWill), and just flaunting their money would go broke easily.

ron is distracted. (http://hitsusa.com/images/natalin-avci-photos.jpg)

Thats not true at all. The guys who are on the bottom nomrally live very modest and know they will not be in the league for long. Its the guys with the big contracts who think they are going to be making 20 mil a year for the rest of there life who go broke. The ones with a house and cars in every state and who support 20 and 30 people. The 10th man on the team normally rents a house somewhere and has one car because they never know where they are going to be playing next season.

As far as this story Ron Ron can give money to whoever he feels like that they do with it and what they report is up to them. If you ran into Bill Gates today on the street and he gave you 100k its not his job to hunt you down at the end of the year and see if you reported it. Only like i take from this story is that it is good to see Ron is taking care of his family.

arkanian215
11-27-2009, 02:31 PM
Thats not true at all. The guys who are on the bottom nomrally live very modest and know they will not be in the league for long. Its the guys with the big contracts who think they are going to be making 20 mil a year for the rest of there life who go broke. The ones with a house and cars in every state and who support 20 and 30 people. The 10th man on the team normally rents a house somewhere and has one car because they never know where they are going to be playing next season.

As far as this story Ron Ron can give money to whoever he feels like that they do with it and what they report is up to them. If you ran into Bill Gates today on the street and he gave you 100k its not his job to hunt you down at the end of the year and see if you reported it. Only like i take from this story is that it is good to see Ron is taking care of his family.

if your assertion is true, then the majority of the 60% are guys who can afford that much with their current salary. that just isn't the case. you know the famous example of spreewell but i think majority of those who do go broke are those lower end draft picks who spend their money right away and have nothing to fall back on to continue their spending. for them it doesnt take much to go bankrupt.

arkanian215
11-27-2009, 02:31 PM
whatever, i dont blame ron but his sister needs to either get a job or live off of ron. It is b.s.

maybe she can't get a job for whatever reason. she should live off of ron and report it.:clap:

wileyisTOFU
11-27-2009, 03:07 PM

Either way, I hope Ron Artest hasn't been breaking the law, and I hope this doesn't become a huge distraction for the Lakers.

you pay for it idiot, that's the problem.

wileyisTOFU
11-27-2009, 03:10 PM

you still have to pay taxes regardless, you ****ing ****. Also, maybe just maybe there is people that need it more.

Verbal Christ
11-27-2009, 05:23 PM
^^ LOL x 2 ... ron artest is a joke. (he doesnt want you to forget how 'hood he is)

Toenail Clipper
11-27-2009, 06:05 PM

You're stupid. The money should go to recreation centers and crap and not to this stupid woman. Why should we be concern for the welfare of a woman whose brother is Ron Artest and can easily be supported through Ron's salary? Why should we care for that woman? Can't she just ****ing work just like everyone else? What do the taxpayers get out of it? NOTHING. Do YOU even pay taxes?! You must be a dumbass teenager

Wilson
11-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Employment is not the only kind of income that needs to be disclosed. SS, child support, gifts, ect are all examples of income that needs to be disclosed.

Ah right OK. Bad move then :pity:

you pay for it idiot, that's the problem.

Relax, I didn't know you had to declare gifts. Taxes in England work differently than they do in the States.

Ray_R
11-27-2009, 11:12 PM
while theres homeless kids Starving and we give money to theses a-holes

Jaji
11-27-2009, 11:44 PM
You're stupid. The money should go to recreation centers and crap and not to this stupid woman. Why should we be concern for the welfare of a woman whose brother is Ron Artest and can easily be supported through Ron's salary? Why should we care for that woman? Can't she just ****ing work just like everyone else? What do the taxpayers get out of it? NOTHING. Do YOU even pay taxes?! You must be a dumbass teenager

You don't have to care for her just like I don't care for you. Ron Artest is not responsible for his sister. His salary shouldn't have anything to do with her. Do you pay your sister's bills?

And I am a private business owner, I know plenty about taxes. I know about write-offs too, and there are a TON of them. Give enough $ and you could get bumped down to a lower tax bracket. If you want your $ to go toward building rec centers then contact your local United Way or something. Don't give it to the gov then complain that you don't like what they're doing with it. Don't like the administrators? Then vote them out. Hell, you can even run for office yourself if it bothers you that much. You don't know what's going on with that woman's bank account. How many illegitimate children have fathers playing in the NBA? I guess they shouldn't be allowed to get financial aid for college huh? I mean you act like this is hurting you, personally. Regardless of what happens with this case, my life won't change one bit.

Ebbs
11-27-2009, 11:53 PM
Man Artest is such a tool.

theimortalone
11-28-2009, 12:19 AM
What an idiot! :pity:

pippsux
11-28-2009, 05:37 PM
With real people, who don't have a baller or celebrity as a family member, with needs, this is wrong. Throw the book at them!