PDA

View Full Version : 1 and a half year after gasol trade

Hellcrooner
11-26-2009, 04:38 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-091124&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dholling er_john%26page%3dPERDiem-091124

many people still talk bout robbery but hey it seems that Marc Gasol is making his strides to prove them wrong.

What do you think after all this time?

sofargone
11-26-2009, 04:40 PM
still doesnt seem balanced when you think about it. gasol got LA a ring memphis is still struggling greatly

lowdown32
11-26-2009, 04:46 PM
the grizz wanted Sun Yue instead of Marc. That would of made it a robbery.2 first rounders and cap space thats what they wanted and they got it any other team would done the same thing

arkanian215
11-26-2009, 04:47 PM
are we really comparing a perennial all star to a center prospect plus dead weight?

Mavrix
11-26-2009, 04:50 PM
are we really comparing a perennial all star to a center prospect plus dead weight?

Marc is averaging 15 10 and 2...I wouldn't call that dead weight.

bigsams50
11-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Pau>Marc

Also the lakers got rid of KWAME BROWN.

Kakaroach
11-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Yeah its still a one-sided trade any way you look at it. Marc Gasol is a good player and will be, but he's not on the Pau level yet, and who knows if he ever will be.

JordansBulls
11-26-2009, 04:53 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-091124&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dholling er_john%26page%3dPERDiem-091124

many people still talk bout robbery but hey it seems that Marc Gasol is making his strides to prove them wrong.

What do you think after all this time?

It was robbery. One team ended up the top seed two years in a row and got to the finals one year and won it all the next and the other team still hasn't come close to even making the playoffs.

sofargone
11-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Marc is averaging 15 10 and 2...I wouldn't call that dead weight.

he meant that marc plus dead weight

clehmun
11-26-2009, 05:01 PM
It was robbery. One team ended up the top seed two years in a row and got to the finals one year and won it all the next and the other team still hasn't come close to even making the playoffs.

that doesn't mean anything.
one team has kobe, bynum, odom, and ariza. the other has rudy gay, a rookie OJ, and a bust in conley.
if you want to talk about the fairness of the trade, you gotta look at the players involved, not the results of the trade alone.

by your standards, KG for al jefferson was a complete rape/robbery too. boston ended up the top seed two years in a row and won it all and the other team still hasn't come close to even making the playoffs.

the trade is not as bad as everyone says it to be. no one ever trades an disgruntle all-star and get same value in return.

VC for eric williams, aaron williams, and alonzo
shaq for butler, odom, and grant
prime iverson for andre miller
KG for young (and not as proven) al jefferson

heck, look what the bucks got from the spurs for richard jefferson?! bruce bowen and kurt thomas that's 1.5 retired players.

marc gasol is one of the best young centers in the league, right up there with oden and brook lopez. they also got kwame's expiring and another prospect in darrell arthur.

it's actually one of the better trades for a team who's trading away an all star who wanted to leave.

Hellcrooner
11-26-2009, 05:06 PM
marc is being the second best fg% in the leage a top rebounder and a top effiencie player

also he is doing 15 ppg being just the FOURTH option on his team and taking more or less 8 shots a game ( this must be some kind of all time record).

this includes making 35 out of his last 42 shots.

Deezy Dee 24.
11-26-2009, 05:18 PM
Marc Gasol is a beast. My favorite player behind Oj Mayo

Deezy Dee 24.
11-26-2009, 05:23 PM

Wow really?
You know nothing about Marc Gasol

ko8e24
11-26-2009, 05:25 PM
marc is being the second best fg% in the leage a top rebounder and a top effiencie player

also he is doing 15 ppg being just the FOURTH option on his team and taking more or less 8 shots a game ( this must be some kind of all time record).

this includes making 35 out of his last 42 shots.

i agree hellcrooner, marc gasol is a terrific bball playa. Lets see how his career progresses. He has the fundamentals and certainly plays the game with a passion. It'll be interesting to see how much he achieves this season.

bigsams50
11-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Marc is playing very well, i just dont get why they drafted Hasheem.

Deezy Dee 24.
11-26-2009, 05:32 PM

From watching interviews, our owner decided that another 7'3 shot blocking machine wouldnt come along again, but still we passed on Evans, Jennings, etc. There were alot of rumors about us drafting Rubio and our owners flew out to see him in spain, and during the draft i 100% them to say Ricky Rubio and they said Thabeet and my heart stopped for a second.

clehmun
11-26-2009, 05:36 PM
From watching interviews, our owner decided that another 7'3 shot blocking machine wouldnt come along again, but still we passed on Evans, Jennings, etc. There were alot of rumors about us drafting Rubio and our owners flew out to see him in spain, and during the draft i 100% them to say Ricky Rubio and they said Thabeet and my heart stopped for a second.

grizzlies have a great young core. i don't think jennings and evans would fit them. they already have OJ and gay for scoring, and a shoot first PG is not an ideal fit.

rubio would have been nice. a pass first PG and a athletic defensive PF is all they need.

conley has been a major disappointment.

tr4shb0t
11-26-2009, 05:38 PM
It was really no different from Boston getting KG.

Marc Gasol was a great player and it was known even though he had no NBA career. He was Spanish league mvp and was proven. Memphis wanted cap space too. Both teams accomplished what they wanted.

Deezy Dee 24.
11-26-2009, 05:40 PM
grizzlies have a great young core. i don't think jennings and evans would fit them. they already have OJ and gay for scoring, and a shoot first PG is not an ideal fit.

rubio would have been nice. a pass first PG and a athletic defensive PF is all they need.

conley has been a major disappointment.

He hasn't been a disappointment, he just hasn't been great. He's been steady but he needs to get more assists. He averages 9 points 5 assists. On a team of Oj, Rudy, Randolph and Gasol, he should be averaging at Least 7 or 8.

JordansBulls
11-26-2009, 05:41 PM

Marc Gasol was a great player and it was known even though he had no NBA career. He was Spanish league mvp and was proven. Memphis wanted cap space too. Both teams accomplished what they wanted.

How so? Al was already a 20 and 10 player.

tr4shb0t
11-26-2009, 05:46 PM
How so? Al was already a 20 and 10 player.

Memphis was planning for the future and wanted to cut cap space at the time so it worked well for them. Many people overreacted because they hadn't really heard of Marc as he was in the Spanish league. But he was a great player and the scouts knew it.

Netslunatic76
11-26-2009, 05:46 PM

He might have been proven in Europe, but that doesn't mean a thing in the NBA. Players come from Europe and bomb all the time. That's why they are mostly drafted in the second round like Marc Gasol was.

Deezy Dee 24.
11-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Marc Gasol should now be considered a potential all star
If not this year definately next year because he's only going to get better.

HouRealCoach
11-26-2009, 05:50 PM

That pissed me off but I think that the Lakers got the better end of the trade

arkanian215
11-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Wow really?

really? please re-read my post.:facepalm:

arkanian215
11-26-2009, 05:52 PM
props to the guy from markham who knew what i was talking about.

tr4shb0t
11-26-2009, 05:55 PM
He might have been proven in Europe, but that doesn't mean a thing in the NBA. Players come from Europe and bomb all the time. That's why they are mostly drafted in the second round like Marc Gasol was.

Yes, but he was not just any Europe player he was league mvp and he was Pau's brother so they could judge him on Pau's performance to some extent. It was all about a future investment.

MTar786
11-26-2009, 05:56 PM
this trade wasnt a robbery like people thought. i thought the same at first. but look at it from memphis point of view. they were struggling with pau.. they wanted to restart. so they trade him for marc who turned out to be REALLY good. they got cap relief and the expiring contract of kwame. they sucked that whole season and got a great pick which landed them oj mayo. so u guys are stupid if u wanna call that robbery. oh n la gave them picks as well n a prospect pg. but that pg seemed to suck anyway lol

clehmun
11-26-2009, 06:05 PM
He hasn't been a disappointment, he just hasn't been great. He's been steady but he needs to get more assists. He averages 9 points 5 assists. On a team of Oj, Rudy, Randolph and Gasol, he should be averaging at Least 7 or 8.

really? you're not disappointed as a grizzle fan?

he was a top 4 pick, had a decent and promising first year. made VERY LITTLE improvement in his second year, when most players make huge climbs. then in his 3rd year, he's actually playing the worse ball of his career.

8 pts, 5 assists, and almost 3 TOs a game. shooting 36% from the floor, he's doing so badly that memphis signed jamal tinsley to take minutes from him.

playing on a young team, and with no threatening backup, he can get all the minutes he want. hes got mayo and gay on the wings, and a 68% FG center in the paint in marc gasol, and he averages 5 assists and close to 3 TOs.

i'd call that a disappointment.

Deezy Dee 24.
11-26-2009, 06:08 PM
really? you're not disappointed as a grizzle fan?

he was a top 4 pick, had a decent and promising first year. made VERY LITTLE improvement in his second year, when most players make huge climbs. then in his 3rd year, he's actually playing the worse ball of his career.

8 pts, 5 assists, and almost 3 TOs a game. shooting 36% from the floor, he's doing so badly that memphis signed jamal tinsley to take minutes from him.

playing on a young team, and with no threatening backup, he can get all the minutes he want. hes got mayo and gay on the wings, and a 68% FG center in the paint in marc gasol, and he averages 5 assists and close to 3 TOs.

i'd call that a disappointment.

i watch him every game and stats dont tell it all. He gives everything he's got night in and night out. Dont get me wrong, we need a different starting point guard, but i still want Conley on our team.

Wilson
11-26-2009, 06:12 PM
It was obviously in the Lakers favour, but I don't think it was quite as bad as it initially looked. I mean, the Grizzlies got Marc Gasol (15 & 11 so far this season) and some decent cap space.

It's not the Lakers' fault that the Grizz' were dumb and spent that cap space on Zach Randolph and Allen Iverson, neither of whom really fit into the team.

Deezy Dee 24.
11-26-2009, 06:13 PM
It was obviously in the Lakers favour, but I don't think it was quite as bad as it initially looked. I mean, the Grizzlies got Marc Gasol (15 & 11 so far this season) and some decent cap space.

It's not the Lakers' fault that the Grizz' were dumb and spent that cap space on Zach Randolph and Allen Iverson, neither of whom really fit into the team.

Zach Randolph has fit perfectly next to Marc Gasol.
They play very well together. He's a good fit IMO.

Wilson
11-26-2009, 06:21 PM

They already had a ton of offensive talent though. They're not going to win today regardless, they should have looked at who can help them win tomorrow, which would have been a defensive guy.

Even if there weren't any good inside defenders available last summer (my memory is failing me right now), there's nothing wrong with sitting on the cap space until somebody becomes available.

clehmun
11-26-2009, 06:22 PM

since i don't watch conley play every game, i'll take your opinion on this.

and i agree with you, randolph has been a good fit with marc gasol. but maybe he meant he doesn't fit in the team's future.

Deezy Dee 24.
11-26-2009, 06:31 PM
They already had a ton of offensive talent though. They're not going to win today regardless, they should have looked at who can help them win tomorrow, which would have been a defensive guy.

Even if there weren't any good inside defenders available last summer (my memory is failing me right now), there's nothing wrong with sitting on the cap space until somebody becomes available.

True he is 29. I honestly dont know what will be the Grizzlies next move.
They said they will match any teams offers for Rudy Gay this summer.
Other than that ii have heard nothing.
Marc is definately in our future plans.
Everybody says Zach would ruin the Grizz but his attitude has changed. He is a new Zach, and he can still put up 20 and 10. So as far as the PF for us go, i have no problem with him being there for the future.

clehmun
11-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Everybody says Zach would ruin the Grizz but his attitude has changed. He is a new Zach, and he can still put up 20 and 10. So as far as the PF for us go, i have no problem with him being there for the future.

i would even give zach some credit for rudy gay's improved play this year.
he was in a little sophomore slump last year, but now that he's got a post scoring threat, hes not the focus of the defense as much, and it opened up the perimeter for him.

Deezy Dee 24.
11-26-2009, 06:47 PM
i would even give zach some credit for rudy gay's improved play this year.
he was in a little sophomore slump last year, but now that he's got a post scoring threat, hes not the focus of the defense as much, and it opened up the perimeter for him.

Very true. Rudy still needs to improve his 1 on 1 defense IMO. Most people consider him a very good defender but he really isn't.

Wilson
11-26-2009, 07:04 PM

I have to admit that Randolph has fit in with the offense in Memphis much better than I thought he would. Maybe if they just let the team grow together they'll be competing in the play-offs next year.

Deezy Dee 24.
11-26-2009, 07:10 PM
I have to admit that Randolph has fit in with the offense in Memphis much better than I thought he would. Maybe if they just let the team grow together they'll be competing in the play-offs next year.

:pray:
We Grizz fans are praying, trust me.

dodie53
11-26-2009, 10:03 PM
the gasols are good.

Toenail Clipper
11-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Wow really?

Nice quote sigs ******.
;]

rabzouz 96
11-27-2009, 02:43 PM
it actually looks like a good trade now, not lopsided at all.

wileyisTOFU
11-27-2009, 02:52 PM
straight robbery. Good move by the lakers.

GodsSon
11-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Lakers still got away with highway robbery, if you re-do that trade right now (factoring in all players stats, and how well Marc has been playing) then the Lakers still win hands down

arkanian215
11-27-2009, 03:41 PM
it actually looks like a good trade now, not lopsided at all.

yeah marc really worked himself into better shape over the past summer. he looks more fluid on the court and that extra weight off means more explosiveness as well. if he could learn to pass like his brother, memphis should probably send thabeet elsewhere.

rabzouz 96
11-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Lakers still got away with highway robbery, if you re-do that trade right now (factoring in all players stats, and how well Marc has been playing) then the Lakers still win hands down

what a bunch of bullsh..
its a win win trade, memphis with pau still goes nowhere, they got their young c who can develop with the team and grow into his role with their other young players and lakers got an instantly ready postplayer to solidify their lineup.

MDfootball36
11-27-2009, 04:05 PM
great actor

Shady66
11-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Its still ridiculous lol

SeoulBeatz
11-27-2009, 04:31 PM

well thats a bogus statement because I honestly dont think 1 player could carry the Grizz to the playoffs besides Kobe, Lebron, Dwight, or Wade.

Pau could only do it once during his 7 years with the grizz..... just saying.

Hellcrooner
11-27-2009, 04:41 PM
^ three times actually

Hellcrooner
11-27-2009, 04:43 PM
and woudl ahve been more if not for the battier fot gay trade. belive it or not

aman_13
11-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Don't you guys think that the Carter to New Jersey trade was a bigger rip off?

GodsSon
11-27-2009, 05:19 PM
what a bunch of bullsh..
its a win win trade, memphis with pau still goes nowhere, they got their young c who can develop with the team and grow into his role with their other young players and lakers got an instantly ready postplayer to solidify their lineup.

they could have still gotten more for Pau earlier from a team like the Bulls

Unruly Fan
11-27-2009, 06:22 PM
Marc is averaging 15 10 and 2...I wouldn't call that dead weight.Center prospect (Marc Gasol) plus dead weight (other pieces)

IMO trade was still somewhat lopsided. Potential vs Proven

sofargone
11-27-2009, 06:36 PM
great actor

word i saw him on CSI miami too

GoatMilk
11-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Don't you guys think that the Carter to New Jersey trade was a bigger rip off?

carter isnt a laker

the Richard Jefferson to Spurs was AWFUL return for Milwaukee, but again, not a Laker

Team*Chicago
11-27-2009, 09:27 PM
The Lakers robbed the Grizzlies for Pau Gasol and we all know the Lakers got the superior side of the deal and the Grizzlies had the inferior side of the deal. The Lakers gave up the inferior Gasol and some garbage for the Grizzlies superior Gasol. If that was a fare deal then the Lakers should kept their garbage and traded Bynum, Odem and the inferior Gasol for the Grizzlies superior Gasol but the deal wasn't anywhere like that while Lakers gave up exactly nothing but gained a nice upgrade while the Grizzlies had a downgrade trade.

Hellcrooner
11-27-2009, 09:36 PM
so did the thin gasol do any good on csi?

Wilson
11-27-2009, 09:38 PM
so did the thin gasol do any good on csi?

I've been meaning to look for it online but I haven't gotten around to it yet. If I ever watch it I'll let you know how he was :p

Hellcrooner
11-27-2009, 09:46 PM
well they will eventually put it in tv here too.

wonder if he will dub himself to spanish

sofargone
11-27-2009, 11:18 PM
well they will eventually put it in tv here too.

wonder if he will dub himself to spanish

i saw it online. i believe it was posted on PSD actually, his acting was pretty wooden IMO

Giants27
11-27-2009, 11:23 PM
I look at it like this.

Shaq,Coron Bulter,Kawame Brown for Pau Gasol. Thats kinda how it all came out lol.

Ray_R
11-27-2009, 11:49 PM
i just find it crazy they traded 2 brothers

djeller1139
11-27-2009, 11:57 PM
Let's face it - LA got the better deal. While the jury is still out on Marc, it will be a while before Marc reaches Pau's level.

mzgrizz
11-28-2009, 02:09 AM
:pray:
We Grizz fans are praying, trust me.

Yes we are! And we got a wonderful boost tonight in our West road win. And for the record, as good as Pau was , I am glad his prissy boy, pouting ,crying- to- the- ref days are long gone. He fits well in LA and I wish him well there. As to younger, stronger.tougher brother;;;well the management had better keep him here for years. Best attitude of any Grizz player in 9 years, and brings 15 and 10 and 2 so far!

Raph12
11-28-2009, 03:08 AM
Good trade for both teams, Marc is turning out to be a stud, just like I expected.

Hellcrooner
11-28-2009, 03:47 AM
just for the record he has comletely anihilated Oden tonight

19 points ( on just 8!!!!! shots) 15 rebounds 5 assists ( who said he couldnt pass like his bro?)

Faneik
11-28-2009, 08:57 AM
just for the record he has comletely anihilated Oden tonight

19 points ( on just 8!!!!! shots) 15 rebounds 5 assists ( who said he couldnt pass like his bro?)

There was a poster, that before Marc played a minute in the NBA he said Marc Gasol=Oberto and that Marc's career averages would be 5pts/5rebs.

I remember you saying to him he didn't know what he was talking about, and he replied something like this:"When I'm right you can call me a prophet"

I remember it was a Laker fan, but don't remember his name...

Hellcrooner
11-28-2009, 01:41 PM
i thibnk its Lost Art.

He is thebigest BYnum fan.

he still has the balls to call Marc a " nice role player"

VCaintdead17
11-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Marc might actually be better than Pau eventually.

Then, the Lakers will trade for him...

Kakaroach
11-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Marc might actually be better than Pau eventually.

Then, the Lakers will trade for him... :laugh: Hopefully not again. And yeah, he's a lot more NBA ready than Pau was when he came, I think thats helped him.

Deezy Dee 24.
11-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Marc Gasol = Potential All-star
He's already a stud. OJ to Marc is the start of a dynasty hopefully

Hellcrooner
11-28-2009, 04:35 PM
i go a feling tough that memphis owner is so cheap that wont want to pay marc the kind of bucks he will command when his contract is over.

thats the only explanation i can get to why they drafter thabust

Deezy Dee 24.
11-28-2009, 04:38 PM
We better pay him if he keeps this up.
Thabeet can be a backup for all i care.
He had a good game last night in Portland though

mzgrizz
11-28-2009, 10:56 PM
I think he knows Marc's value. And probably as a successful billionaire businessman, he couldn't stand the whining and pouting and facilitated the transfer. Marc also came to Memphis when Pau was drafted and has lived here off and on for 9 years....tough player and a genuinely nice person who doesn't look like the Southern California type....more like the South. Period. But I'm ALMOST positive that the Lakers will try and snatch him away,too.....but maybe not this time,guys.

Hellcrooner
11-28-2009, 11:39 PM
nah lakes wont we have ommieted to much money on that fat guy taht only cares for scoring that plays same position.

heathonater
11-30-2009, 09:44 PM
This just shows that trading a star player in the NBA hardly works out for the other team. However good marc gasol gets, they will never get equal value out of this trade.

runforrestrunx9
11-30-2009, 10:09 PM

that team also has kobe bryant, lamar odom, and Andrew Bynum. Hardly call it a one man effort

mzgrizz
11-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not remember Pau leading the league in FG% his second year in the NBA.

LA_Raiders
12-01-2009, 12:24 AM
15/10/2 are great #s... He is one of the best C in the West...