PDA

View Full Version : Allen Iverson's Official Retirement Statement

ko8e24
11-25-2009, 09:12 PM
http://stephena.com/?p=319

NOV. 25, 2009
TO ALL OF MY FANS:

I would like to announce my plans to retire from the National Basketball Association. I always thought that when I left the game, it would be because I couldn’t help my team the way that I was accustomed to. However, that is not the case.

I still have tremendous love for the game, the desire to play, and a whole lot left in my tank. I feel strongly that I can still compete at the highest level.
Stepping away from the game will allow me to spend quality time with my wife and kids. This is a reward that far exceeds anything that I’ve ever achieved on the basketball court. I have prayed for this day and I see it as my greatest gift.

I want to thank the people of Reebok International Ltd., for always allowing me to be me and for supporting me my whole career through all the ups and downs. I have enjoyed 13 wonderful seasons in the NBA, and I am grateful.

I want to first acknowledge my fans everywhere, who have been with me throughout my entire career. Without you, there would be no me. You should all know that I appreciate your support from the bottom of my heart. Thank you!

To Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas, Charles Barkley and Larry Bird, you guys gave me the vision to play the game that will be forever in my heart.

To my Mom, who encouraged and inspired me to play every day, and to all of my family and friends who stood by me from the beginning. Thank you!
To my high school coach, Michael Bailey, Coach John Thompson at Georgetown University, Coach Larry Brown and to all of my other coaches, teammates, administrators, owners and staff who’ve been a part of my career, Thank you as well!

I’d like to give a special thanks to the people of Memphis. I never played a home game for your beloved Grizzlies, but I want you to know how much I appreciate the opportunity given me by a great owner in Michael Heisley, and the support of the city. I wish the Memphis Grizzlies’ organization all of the success that the game has to offer.

And finally, to the city of Philadelphia: I have wonderful memories of my days in a Sixers’ uniform. To Philly fans, thank you. Your voice will always be music to my ears.
God Bless all of you,

ALLEN IVERSON

Wednesday, November 25th, 2009 at 4:08 pm
by Stephen A.

Iodine
11-25-2009, 09:15 PM
I find it funny he mentioned zeke cause he played the exact opposite way minus speed

Theanswer76
11-25-2009, 09:18 PM
God bless Iverson, had a great career, Made me love this game, changed the way people think of the game, and he is who he is.

ProdigyI
11-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Didn't this guy start in the All-Star game last year? Now no team wants him. Wow

jetsfan28
11-25-2009, 09:20 PM
I'd honestly be a bit surprised if he's not back a bit after the trade deadline for a desperate contender. But if not, farewell to one of the greatest ever, and someone who I was always excited to go see live 3 times a year.

DaddyCool
11-25-2009, 09:22 PM
:cry: There goes my favorite player. He'll always be a Sixer in my eyes. Thanks for all the great memories, AI. Though on a sidenote, that AI trade to Denver looks genius. And the trade to Detriot looks even better

HoopsDrive
11-25-2009, 09:26 PM
I have a feeling he might be back but if not, farewell to one of the greatest players to ever play the game. Your crossovers will be dearly missed.

ko8e24
11-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Thank you Allen Iverson for the memories

RaptorsFanatic
11-25-2009, 09:31 PM
I dont know about ya'll, but this is a sad day for the game of basketball.
He was averaging 26 points per game three seasons. I find it hard to believe, I am dumfounded.

Sigh... I hate to see people criticize the dude even after all he has done. Show some appreciation PSD.

Flamarlins21
11-25-2009, 09:41 PM
A sad day indeed.

jetsforever
11-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Great player but i can see him playing again this year. When it seems as though their is no market, eventually one team will express interest if they lose a player or are trying to make a push. Its sad to see him go and im pretty shocked.

superkegger
11-25-2009, 09:47 PM
:yawn:

C_Mund
11-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Pretty much the most heart and least fear you could ever find in a basketball player. Kudos for paving the way for the Little Man!

Deezy Dee 24.
11-25-2009, 09:52 PM
After the whole deal in Memphis i didnt care for him but ultimately i will miss AI. He will be remembered as a Sixer always. I wish he couldve gotten a ring before he went out. Sad how he fell so fast.

bal_ravens
11-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Nice low percentage shooter that can score alot. If he came off the bench, he could probably be on any team. Unfortantley, he doesn't want to. I remember when Michael Finley went to the Spurs after averaging almost 20ppg and I believe came off the bench when he first got there. I dont see why Iverson can't do the same.

Fresno
11-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Im in complete shock, this is on the level of Jordan's second retirement from the NBA.

Its just oddly fitting that the guy who completely changed the culture & style of the NBA would be blackballed from the league.

AutomaticWeezy
11-25-2009, 10:41 PM
I just want to say that Allen Iverson is the reason I fell in love with basketball and the Philadelphia 76ers. I will always support the Sixers as well as Allen Iverson.

pf289
11-25-2009, 10:47 PM
Thank you AI for everything. You are an amazing talent an HOF isnt too far down the road. With that said, I see him coming back. He will Brett Favre-ilize. Book it.

MTar786
11-25-2009, 10:56 PM
bobcats, warriors, suns, cavs and nuggets should be begging to sign this guy.. im dumbfounded my self. infact san antonio might be a great fit even though people will disagree.. waive finley. give ai the starting spot at sg.. n manu n him can share mins. manu aint playing the same and san an CANNOT score the ball

Deezy Dee 24.
11-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Yeah it is and going to get alot of talk on espn, nba tv, etc. for a while.

FNM BOY
11-25-2009, 11:18 PM
AI is my favorite all time basketball player. His heart and desire night in and night out inspired me in my own life to a apply the same can of heart and drive to over come odds, face challenges and achieve goals in my own life. You will be gone AI but never forgotten. "ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE"

IversonIsKrazy
11-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Damn man, just cant believe how fast sum1 can fall from the top like that. I still feel like hes going to be back in the NBA, but nevertheless farewell to my favorite player, and the pound from pound greatest scorer the NBA has ever seen. I always envisioned the day of retirement of AI to be in a Sixer uni, sad to c that not happen, he will always me remembered as a Sixer, the creation of crossover, farewell!

SeoulBeatz
11-25-2009, 11:38 PM
THE most misunderstood player in NBA history and the reason why I started watching and playing basketball. Have only missed watching a handful of games in the past decade because of that little guy. All of my friends here in Philly can say the same thing, and that means something.

im currently working on my end all be all argument for A.I which i will post tomorrow to not necessarily silence any haters, but to clear the ignorance, which there is TONS of on PSD.

Let me put it this way....

I totally understand why people hate iverson, but i think a lot of ignorance is involved in those judgements.

hearing him being compared to Latrell Sprewell is just one of the few things.

Team*Chicago
11-25-2009, 11:58 PM
:cool:I'm so glad that Allen Iverson is considering a official retirement with no championship ring, I haven't felt like this since Barack OBama got elected.

Deezy Dee 24.
11-26-2009, 12:00 AM
Damn man, just cant believe how fast sum1 can fall from the top like that. I still feel like hes going to be back in the NBA, but nevertheless farewell to my favorite player, and the pound from pound greatest scorer the NBA has ever seen. I always envisioned the day of retirement of AI to be in a Sixer uni, sad to c that not happen, he will always me remembered as a Sixer, the creation of crossover, farewell!

Yeah man and technically he retired in a Grizzlies uniform.
I feel he'll be back but if he does he should go to Philly.

PLAYERS FAN
11-26-2009, 12:48 AM
I must admit that I always respect Iverson passion!

prash
11-26-2009, 12:50 AM
I'm sure he'll keep himself in game shape.

I really hope the Knicks or Golden State sign him.

He truly earned the name "The Answer". He put up points like few ever have.

Tymer
11-26-2009, 01:03 AM
There goes my 2nd Fav player of all time I hope he comes back before the season ends he still has so much more to give.

A.I. changed how the NBA is played in so many ways from being the first player i can think of with excessive tats and cornrows to how he played and even bringing out sleeves and arm bands easily a H.O.F. but he needs that ring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUPOP3sn00c
^ A.I. Tribute

Deezy Dee 24.
11-26-2009, 01:05 AM
He definately needs a ring.
He cares about scoring 30 points than taker a lower role and winning a championship but lets be real. He led the sixers to the finals by himself. In his mind, he feels he can still do it like that.

what54!?
11-26-2009, 01:08 AM
How the mighty have fallen. crappy way to go. Good luck with your life A.I. if you don't come back. thanks for the memories. you were fun to watch

WhiteSoxGod
11-26-2009, 01:11 AM
GEEZ all these people on here talking about Allen Iversons their favorite player, the reason they fell in love with basketball.....:puke:..

I'm SOOOOOO happy this guy is gone. He's a disease to the league. What a joke...."PRACTICE...PRACTICE...WHAT WE TALKING BOUT.....PRACTICE..." I would say he is probably one of the most overrated and over hyped players in NBA history. He put up some decent numbers but with a poor shooting %. He was a cancer to a team, a HORRIBLE teammate and a coaches nightmare. It's thanks to Iverson that I disdained basketball (except for the Rockets) for a while. He is one of the main reasons David Stern implemented a dress code in the NBA, which was a great idea and the only thing I think A.I. did to benefit the basketball world. I'm glad he never got a ring didn't deserve one and I'm glad he is leaving the game humiliated. HAPPIEST DAY OF MY LIFE WAS TODAY WHEN I FOUND OUT :dance: :dance: !!!! Yeah good riddance A.I. you won't be missed by me. (Sorry to rain on the A.I.'s people parade no offense to ya'll but I HATE this guy with every ounce of my mind and Body).

Deezy Dee 24.
11-26-2009, 01:15 AM
GEEZ all these people on here talking about Allen Iversons their favorite player, the reason they fell in love with basketball.....:puke:..

I'm SOOOOOO happy this guy is gone. He's a disease to the league. What a joke...."PRACTICE...PRACTICE...WHAT WE TALKING BOUT.....PRACTICE..." I would say he is probably one of the most overrated and over hyped players in NBA history. He put up some decent numbers but with a poor shooting %. He was a cancer to a team, a HORRIBLE teammate and a coaches nightmare. It's thanks to Iverson that I disdained basketball (except for the Rockets) for a while. He is one of the main reasons David Stern implemented a dress code in the NBA, which was a great idea and the only thing I think A.I. did to benefit the basketball world. I'm glad he never got a ring didn't deserve one and I'm glad he is leaving the game humiliated. HAPPIEST DAY OF MY LIFE WAS TODAY WHEN I FOUND OUT :dance: :dance: !!!! Yeah good riddance A.I. you won't be missed by me. (Sorry to rain on the A.I.'s people parade no offense to ya'll but I HATE this guy with every ounce of my mind and Body).

Damn man calm down he's only human.
By the way when will you be leading a team to the NBA Finals?
Not any time soon i suppose, and me neither.
He accomplished alot more than you or anyone else on this site will ever come close to.

dre1990
11-26-2009, 01:17 AM
I can see him come back later with boston if he accepts a bench role. Im a piston fan, but his guy is a top 3 fav all time for me

WhiteSoxGod
11-26-2009, 01:25 AM
Damn man calm down he's only human.
By the way when will you be leading a team to the NBA Finals?
Not any time soon i suppose, and me neither.
He accomplished alot more than you or anyone else on this site will ever come close to.

LOL I guess if that's how you judge someone. He never won a ring and ended his career in humiliation. I bet he will never finish Law school though....LOL [And I always practice (my homework)]

KB24PG16
11-26-2009, 01:28 AM
wow i feel bad for the guy nobody wanted him. thanks for the memories A.I

BlondeBomber41
11-26-2009, 01:35 AM
I'm sure LOTS of teams would want him if he said "hey, I wanna win a championship and I am totally cool with coming off the bench and fitting into a team."

Instead, he *****ed about being a bench player, spent all summer trying to find a team that would make him a feature player, thought he would get that in Memphis, and when he didnt get it he quit on them 3 games into the season.

**** Allen Iverson, ya selfish *****. Nobody feel sorry for this guy. He basically is saying "Im retiring because nobody will make me their #1 option and build around me."

Pathetic.

WhiteSoxGod
11-26-2009, 01:43 AM
I'm sure LOTS of teams would want him if he said "hey, I wanna win a championship and I am totally cool with coming off the bench and fitting into a team."

Instead, he *****ed about being a bench player, spent all summer trying to find a team that would make him a feature player, thought he would get that in Memphis, and when he didnt get it he quit on them 3 games into the season.

**** Allen Iverson, ya selfish *****. Nobody feel sorry for this guy. He basically is saying "Im retiring because nobody will make me their #1 option and build around me."

Pathetic.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

TheWatcher34
11-26-2009, 01:46 AM
AI....would do great at poker: selling weakness...but holding strength! AI, i dont believe u, and this is not the end... see u soon on my team

Halladay
11-26-2009, 01:49 AM
Iverson will be back don't be fooled.

I always thought that when I left the game, it would be because I couldn’t help my team the way that I was accustomed to. However, that is not the case.

I still have tremendous love for the game, the desire to play, and a whole lot left in my tank. I feel strongly that I can still compete at the highest level.

My point exactly.

Talick
11-26-2009, 02:07 AM
oh hell definitely be back. some team is gonna fall in love with "iverson" again

Iron24th
11-26-2009, 02:21 AM
The day he was traded by philly,it was like his career was already over,he was born to wear the sixers uni,he was the soul of this team.

AI4MVP
11-26-2009, 03:48 AM
i honestly have a feeling hes gunna ba back, but if he doesnt:

this is truely a sad sad day in the history of the nba. whether you love him/accept it or not, Allen Iverson is one of the greatest players in the history of pro basketball, and maybe, considering his size, pound for pound the greatest scorer in the history of the game.

without a doubt the most misunderstood human being in the history of existence, athlete or any other person. he loved the game. played it with heart. he was the toughest guard ive ever seen.

when i think about it, in the past era (the one that doesnt include lebron, wade, melo, ect. ), it goes Shaq, TD, Kobe, Allen Iverson. i reall think he was the 4th best player of the era, and i honestly think he still has the ability to put up 30 points a night. it makes me sad to think about how i met never get to see him play again except for highlights.

im sitting here trying to think of a player that played with more heart, hustle, passion, and toughness then Allen Iverson, and i honestly cannot.

That is why this is such a sad sad day.

He said that if he was on a winning team thatd hed come of the bench. I truely hope that Danny Ainge or mitch cupchick calls him up and persuades him to unretire, come off the bench, easily win 6th man of the year award, and reserect his career.

I really hope this isnt the end of allen iverson

WhiteSoxGod
11-26-2009, 04:41 AM
i honestly have a feeling hes gunna ba back, but if he doesnt:

this is truely a sad sad day in the history of the nba. whether you love him/accept it or not, Allen Iverson is one of the greatest players in the history of pro basketball, and maybe, considering his size, pound for pound the greatest scorer in the history of the game.

without a doubt the most misunderstood human being in the history of existence, athlete or any other person. he loved the game. played it with heart. he was the toughest guard ive ever seen.

when i think about it, in the past era (the one that doesnt include lebron, wade, melo, ect. ), it goes Shaq, TD, Kobe, Allen Iverson. i reall think he was the 4th best player of the era, and i honestly think he still has the ability to put up 30 points a night. it makes me sad to think about how i met never get to see him play again except for highlights.

im sitting here trying to think of a player that played with more heart, hustle, passion, and toughness then Allen Iverson, and i honestly cannot.

That is why this is such a sad sad day.

He said that if he was on a winning team thatd hed come of the bench. I truely hope that Danny Ainge or mitch cupchick calls him up and persuades him to unretire, come off the bench, easily win 6th man of the year award, and reserect his career.

I really hope this isnt the end of allen iverson

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: I pray that we NEVER see this thug around basketball ever again. Not only does this wife-beater have one of the worst shooting %'s I have ever seen he is probably the most overrated over hyped player to ever play basketball. Greatest??? Greatest you say??? LMAO :laugh: A.I. is a joke a thug who who narcissistic ways caught up with him and he was shown to be an embarrassment on the court just as much as he is an embarrassment off of it. The guy had some skills but his lack of intelligence and actual understanding of how to be a teammate destroyed it. He is scum, a cancer to society and basketball and the NBA as well as the world is better off without Allen Iverson in the damn spotlight. I am glad his carrer came to an end embarrassingly and humiliatingly.

FlakeyFool
11-26-2009, 10:33 AM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: I pray that we NEVER see this thug around basketball ever again. Not only does this wife-beater have one of the worst shooting %'s I have ever seen he is probably the most overrated over hyped player to ever play basketball. Greatest??? Greatest you say??? LMAO :laugh: A.I. is a joke a thug who who narcissistic ways caught up with him and he was shown to be an embarrassment on the court just as much as he is an embarrassment off of it. The guy had some skills but his lack of intelligence and actual understanding of how to be a teammate destroyed it. He is scum, a cancer to society and basketball and the NBA as well as the world is better off without Allen Iverson in the damn spotlight. I am glad his carrer came to an end embarrassingly and humiliatingly.

someones alittle bitter that their team didn't sign A.I.