PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Roy Skips National Anthem Before Games

Fresno
11-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Brandon Roy has stayed in the tunnel during the national anthem over each of the past two seasons, not as a protest, but just to have a quiet moment of prayer for himself.

It will be interesting to see how much heat Roy catches for this, and if it will change his pre-game routine. "It's not me doing some (star-treatment) thing," Roy said, "It's just something I've done for the last two years to have a quiet moment to myself." He has said he'll stop skipping the anthem if it bothers enough people.

Rotoworld

I can't believe people are complaining about this, I am an American and I am one who doesn't stand up when the National Anthem is played because I find it pointless. Yes, its pointless.

theuuord
11-25-2009, 03:27 PM
are people really complaining about it?

AK-50
11-25-2009, 03:29 PM
kinda reminds about when Delgado use to be in the dugout during the anthems or something cant remember too much about it

pebloemer
11-25-2009, 03:34 PM
As a Canadian, I'm not sure what my thoughts would be if I heard of a similar situation with a Canadian player during the Canadian anthem.

I don't think I would mind. His reasoning seems to make some sense. If it calms him before the game or if he sees it as helpful, I don't think there is a problem with it. I don't think it means he lacks national pride or anything. He was smart to state that if it bothered enough people he would stop doing it. Makes the situation look a bit more favorable to those it would offend I'd imagine.

Kakaroach
11-25-2009, 03:36 PM
I don't mind it, don't see why people would complain about it. If they really cared, wouldn't they have noticed he wasn't there 2 years ago lol?

JermanJaysFan
11-25-2009, 03:41 PM
kinda reminds about when Delgado use to be in the dugout during the anthems or something cant remember too much about it

After 9/11 when they started playing God Bless America and he would stay in the dugout

shas
11-25-2009, 03:42 PM
its a free country

arkanian215
lmao

AK-50
After 9/11 when they started playing God Bless America and he would stay in the dugout

yea that was it

daleja424
11-25-2009, 03:43 PM
I dunno. I understand he isnt doing it on purpose per say, but it is bound to bug people...

arkanian215
11-25-2009, 03:43 PM
heh yeah tell that to the texas woman who had her american flag removed because it offended one of her coworkers.

as far as i can tell, there's no flag burning.

Chronz
11-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Sounds like a coverup, hes an anti american athiest crushem

Toenail Clipper
11-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Maybe he's a terrorist and while everyone is distracted, he's continuing his massive plan to bomb the whole country

NYtilIdie
11-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Only "patriotic" people will make a big deal out of it. Me personally I don't care.

Ray_R
11-25-2009, 04:08 PM
It doesnt bugg me as much as long as he doesnt do it for the reason of being "COOL" im good

Fresno
11-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Only "patriotic" people will make a big deal out of it. Me personally I don't care.

There are just way too many politically correct "patriotic" people.

Its almost as if you dont publicly show your patrioticness(not sure if word) you are considered to not be a real American, or even worse you'd be considered a "terrorist".

ChiSox219
11-25-2009, 04:10 PM
It's not a big deal.

But let me say this, I'm a big Brandon Roy fan, he reminds a lot of Jordan and I like to root for the Blazers. This kind of dampens that. I just think that if you have the fortune of being born and raised in America it shouldn't be a problem to show a little appreciation.

But hey, that's just my opinion, and Roy can do whatever he pleases because we live in America.

abe_froman
11-25-2009, 04:14 PM
There are just way too many politically correct "patriotic" people.

Its almost as if you dont publicly show your patrioticness(not sure if word) you are considered to not be a real American, or even worse you'd be considered a "terrorist".

this is pretty true.

as for roy,i really dont care.i want you to play ball,play well,win games.weather you care about a song or flag has nothing to do with achieving that.so yeah if you dont want to do the anthem thing its cool with me

NYYCowboys
11-25-2009, 04:16 PM
I think he should show some respect. It's not even about being a "politically correct patriotic" person. All you scumbags who don't find it necessary to stand for the anthem why don't you guys go to Afghanistan and fight for this country? People die for this country everyday, and I don't think it's much to stand for the whole one minute it takes for the anthem and show a little respect for those who lost their lives fighting so that you can sit on your butts posting on PSD all day.

mjt20mik
11-25-2009, 04:21 PM
This is funny. I don't get what is wrong with this. He still shows his homage to this country, it's just private. I don't understand what is wrong with that. To be patriotic do you need to do this kind of stuff in public as compared to doing it in private?

td0tsfinest
11-25-2009, 04:21 PM
are people really complaining about this?

Josh Howards incident is something to complain but this is nothing. He just wants to be alone when the anthem goes on.

NYYCowboys
11-25-2009, 04:22 PM
This is funny. I don't get what is wrong with this. He still shows his homage to this country, it's just private. I don't understand what is wrong with that. To be patriotic do you need to do this kind of stuff in public as compared to doing it in private?

Why does he need to pray during the national anthem though? He can't have a quiet moment to himself any of the 4 hours he's at the arena before the game?

mays217
11-25-2009, 04:24 PM
I think he should show some respect. It's not even about being a "politically correct patriotic" person. All you scumbags who don't find it necessary to stand for the anthem why don't you guys go to Afghanistan and fight for this country? People die for this country everyday, and I don't think it's much to stand for the whole one minute it takes for the anthem and show a little respect for those who lost their lives fighting so that you can sit on your butts posting on PSD all day.

Finally. Very well said.

Can't stand up and show respect? Disgraceful.

And take your effing hats off too!

abe_froman
11-25-2009, 04:26 PM
because the values/freedom they fight for also include the right to not give a ****

and how do you know anyone here didnt sign up or know someone who did

NYYCowboys
11-25-2009, 04:29 PM
because the values/freedom they fight for also include the right to not give a ****

and how do you know anyone here didnt sign up or know someone who did

Because no one defended standing for the national anthem and no soldier would do that because they actually respect this country like me.

NickyNick
11-25-2009, 04:30 PM
yea this is no big deal.....im not gunna lie i think the anthem is a waste of time anyways....why do we have to sing at the beginning of every game? seems stupid, just do it once at the beginning of the season and that should be good

Hellcrooner
11-25-2009, 04:30 PM
i find disgusting that since is a superstar people is being easy on him while Mahomouf abdul rauf was severly punished by stern and then he was boycotte by nba franchises and had to finish his career overseas.

IMO you should pay respect, and stand even if you dont believe in it or even if you are a foreigner, im spanish and i woudl stand up just for respect as i woudl want an american to stand up to spanish anthem if he was playing here fore respect ( well we actually only display the anthem in national team games but whatever)

The only case in wich i would allow a player to not stand is if usa is involved in a war against their country , for example if usa stared war in iran i would understand haddaddi not standing.

abe_froman
11-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Because no one defended standing for the national anthem and no soldier would do that because they actually respect this country like me.

i beg to differ,i know many that would

and by calling anyone who isnt like you disrespecting is actually going against the founding principals of this country you say you love/respect

NickyNick
11-25-2009, 04:32 PM

how does singing in a stadium show respect? .....if you want to show respect go up to a soldier and shake his hand and tell him personally....singing is just stupid

ManRam
11-25-2009, 04:33 PM
He's paying his respect, just in private. He wants to be alone. That's fine. It's not like he's sitting down, with his headphones blasting when the anthem is on. Even if he was...so be it. It's a free country.

Raidaz4Life
11-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Its for a good reason so I could care less, as long as its not some ******** protest.

toovey107
11-25-2009, 04:34 PM
He can have time to himself to pray or do w.e the hell he wants hours prior to the game. That's not even a legit reason to not be present during the National anthem ( not that there is one)

NYYCowboys
11-25-2009, 04:37 PM
i beg to differ,i know many that would

and by calling anyone who isnt like you disrespecting is actually going against the founding principals of this country you say you love/respect

Well actually being one and knowing a lot of others I can't say the same, but your entitled to your opinions I guess.

Thatruth32
11-25-2009, 04:39 PM
its a free country

x2

Fresno
11-25-2009, 04:47 PM

We gave them a ****ing holiday for christ sakes.

They lost their lives fighting so that I can sit and post on PSD?
Wouldn't that also be giving me the right of having my own choice whether to stand or not for the anthem.

The National Anthem isn't about war *******, its a song they play for every American game because thats our National song. Not a ****ing war cry.

fast_break
11-25-2009, 04:52 PM
its not that hard to just stand for a minute or so

after that he can go back to counting his $millions$

Deezy Dee 24.
11-25-2009, 05:05 PM
it dosent bother me but every other player does it why cant B Roy have a moment at another time but whatever

Raps18-19 Champ
11-25-2009, 05:08 PM
It's not like he's disrespecting the anthem.

And he's just praying. If he wants to pray, let him pray.

Kakaroach
11-25-2009, 05:17 PM
C'mon guys lets calm down a little lol. I knew this wasn't gonna end well.

blackjack_119
11-25-2009, 05:20 PM
When Brandon Roy is in an arena that doesn't have hundreds of people walking around, trying to find their seat, going to the bathroom or going to the concession stands before tip-off, you can criticize him for the manner in which he chooses to respect the National Anthem. Praying by yourself is much more respectful than walking around in the seats or even worse being one of the players that are on the court talking to one another while the anthem is performed.

Iodine
11-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Wait so a guy isnt doing the norm and deciding to do what he thinks is best for him.

SHOCKER. ****ING SHOCKER

blackjack_119
11-25-2009, 05:27 PM
it dosent bother me but every other player does it why cant B Roy have a moment at another time but whatever

He spends an hour by himself reflecting from when the media leaves the locker room until tip-off. It's not just a convenient excuse. While he is a very outgoing guy, for one hour before every game, he goes off by himself.

That was how ESPN described it in an article one year ago which didn't draw any attention. The narcissistic John Canzano, however, tries to make the article as deceptive as possible to give himself more attention.

The guy is a sportswriter who hates sports, so he always tries to write articles about controversy. He loved the JailBlazers more than this team because there were more controversies. Countless episodes of his radio show were dedicated to LaGarrett Blunt well after no one cared anymore because he is bored when he actually has to talk about sports.

SA5195
11-25-2009, 05:28 PM
And the problem is??

MDfootball36
11-25-2009, 05:28 PM
i could care less

smith&wesson
11-25-2009, 05:35 PM
a moment of time to himself to say a prayer. ummm whats wrong with that ?

people are ****ed now a days.

runforrestrunx9
11-25-2009, 05:36 PM
[QUOTE=Toenail Clipper;11500038]Maybe he's a terrorist and while everyone is distracted, he's continuing his massive plan to bomb the whole country[/QUOTE

has 2 be it

MackSnackWrap
11-25-2009, 05:46 PM
Delgado did this aswell

The Ooh Child
11-25-2009, 05:51 PM
i find disgusting that since is a superstar people is being easy on him while Mahomouf abdul rauf was severly punished by stern and then he was boycotte by nba franchises and had to finish his career overseas.

IMO you should pay respect, and stand even if you dont believe in it or even if you are a foreigner, im spanish and i woudl stand up just for respect as i woudl want an american to stand up to spanish anthem if he was playing here fore respect ( well we actually only display the anthem in national team games but whatever)

The only case in wich i would allow a player to not stand is if usa is involved in a war against their country , for example if usa stared war in iran i would understand haddaddi not standing.

Roy is being treated differently because the circumstances are completely different. Roy is not trying to make a political statment.

I personally don't see anything wrong with what Roy is doing given his explanation and his willingness to stop the behavior.

IndiansFan337
11-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Delgado did this aswell

Didn't Delgado boycott the anthem while playing for Toronto in order to show his disapproval for something US related?

SeoulBeatz
11-25-2009, 06:02 PM
yeah i chat with my buddies during the anthem, its not a sacred thing IMO.

i see nothing wrong with this... its not unpatriotic, if anything its even more american cus he's praying and this is "one nation under god" isn't it? :\

sofargone
11-25-2009, 06:04 PM
send him back to russia

Iodine
11-25-2009, 06:14 PM

Please understand what your talking about before you type

Hellcrooner
11-25-2009, 06:17 PM
oh i uderstand it man.

clutchski
11-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Rotoworld

I can't believe people are complaining about this, I am an American and I am one who doesn't stand up when the National Anthem is played because I find it pointless. Yes, its pointless.

I don't mind what Roy is doing at all, but I'm going to have to disagree with you lol. I don't think it's pointless, I stand and remove my hat to show respect for my country. Similar to having a moment of silence for war veterans on November 11th. To each his own though.

Draco
11-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Roy wants to have his quiet moment of prayer during the national anthem? I suppose if the national anthem were important to him he'd schedule his 5 minutes of prayer for another time. If enough people complain about Roy being a diva he'll show up for the anthem? That's the kind of response I'd expect from a kid.. just my two centavos.

Draco
11-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Rotoworld

You're complaining about people complaining... good one.

TO Rapz
11-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Wow if you think this is a big deal you are clearly overreacting honestly. Hes IN THE TUNNEL. HE CAN STILL HEAR THE ANTHEM and everything he just wants to be alone. I am completely fine with it. Maybe something happened in his life we dont know about? Maybe he has to respect something in the past..Maybe its a tribute to someone important in his life. This just makes me RESPECT Brandon Roy even more because it just shows he is an emotional guy, and he clearly said if it bothers enough people he wont do it..

Young2Kinsler
11-25-2009, 06:37 PM
I have no problem if that's his choice to take time to do something he finds calming and productive( I'd rather see him out there, but...). But for the OP to call the National Anthem pointless, what a clueless D-Bag.

Draco
11-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Wow if you think this is a big deal you are clearly overreacting honestly. Hes IN THE TUNNEL. HE CAN STILL HEAR THE ANTHEM and everything he just wants to be alone. I am completely fine with it. Maybe something happened in his life we dont know about? Maybe he has to respect something in the past..Maybe its a tribute to someone important in his life. This just makes me RESPECT Brandon Roy even more because it just shows he is an emotional guy, and he clearly said if it bothers enough people he wont do it..

Reminds me of a Simpsons episode where Homer's listening to the ballgame in church. He's physically there so I guess that means he's pious.

HoopsDrive
11-25-2009, 07:57 PM
People overreact over anything these days.. sheesh

stevefrancis
11-25-2009, 08:31 PM
I bet most of us change the channel during the anthem anyways ill admit i do i think singing it in school every day for 15 years was enough

dodie53
11-25-2009, 08:42 PM
making a mountain out of a mole

$KnicksAndKobe$
11-25-2009, 08:51 PM
I don't care.

toovey107
11-25-2009, 09:08 PM
Roy wants to have his quiet moment of prayer during the national anthem? I suppose if the national anthem were important to him he'd schedule his 5 minutes of prayer for another time. If enough people complain about Roy being a diva he'll show up for the anthem? That's the kind of response I'd expect from a kid.. just my two centavos.
exactly how I feel about this as well

toovey107
11-25-2009, 09:10 PM
I bet most of us change the channel during the anthem anyways ill admit i do i think singing it in school every day for 15 years was enough
You sang the national anthem in school every day ?

Try the pledge of allegiance.

TO Rapz
11-25-2009, 09:24 PM
Reminds me of a Simpsons episode where Homer's listening to the ballgame in church. He's physically there so I guess that means he's pious.

Lol episode was funny. But my point is unless you know what he is doing in that tunel you cant blame him. Hes praying according to him and I dont mind him but I get what others are saying.

cmellofan15
11-25-2009, 09:29 PM
I don't care if ****s on a flag while the national anthem is playing. It's called freedom, get used to it.

tr3ymill3r
11-25-2009, 09:41 PM
it's been 2 years, nobody cares.

GodsSon
11-25-2009, 09:49 PM

im failing to see the correlation between being present for a national anthem, and showing respect for dead soldiers

theuuord
11-25-2009, 09:52 PM
for people saying "why can't he pray another time," it's a moment right before the game. i think he's certainly allowed.

the anthem is just a song that was chosen a long time ago to represent the country. it's not inherently the definition of patriotism. it's not sacraligious to skip it for a personal moment.

Draco
11-26-2009, 03:40 AM
Custom
United States Code, 36 U.S.C. 301, states that during a rendition of the national anthem, when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart; men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; and when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed. Recently enacted law in 2008 allows military veterans to salute out of uniform, as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star-Spangled_Banner

jetsfan28
11-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Why does he need to pray during the national anthem though? He can't have a quiet moment to himself any of the 4 hours he's at the arena before the game?
He wants it close to the game. And he can't do it during warm ups, you don't leave your team during them, that's messed up.

I find it disgusting that you're comparing the two. Abdul-Rauf did it out of protest of a country in which he was making a ridiculous salary to play a game and called the government tyrants. Roy wants a moment to himself to pray. And where does it say he doesn't stand? It just says he wants a quiet moment to himself to pray.

Draco
11-26-2009, 11:15 AM
He wants it close to the game. And he can't do it during warm ups, you don't leave your team during them, that's messed up.

Diva's want what they want when they want it.. I get that. I guess if I'm thirsty and sleepy while attending a funeral I might want a cup of coffee. But customs dictate that carrying a thermos with you and taking a swig might be a bit inappropriate for the occasion. Actually, I really don't care too much what Roy does but I'll call it for it is.

bignate14
11-26-2009, 11:39 AM
I don't care if ****s on a flag while the national anthem is playing. It's called freedom, get used to it. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

1 you should care because there are people that die everyday for our country

2 Its illegal to **** on the flag its a felony

3 how bout you get used to giving a minute of your time at a game to pay your respects. Because the people overseas cant go to a ball game or do anything because they're fighting, so YOU can sit in your seat watching the game and do it safely.

jets-24
11-26-2009, 11:44 AM
r u kidding me?????????

bignate14
11-26-2009, 11:51 AM
We gave them a ****ing holiday for christ sakes.

They lost their lives fighting so that I can sit and post on PSD?
Wouldn't that also be giving me the right of having my own choice whether to stand or not for the anthem.

The National Anthem isn't about war *******, its a song they play for every American game because thats our National song. Not a ****ing war cry.

OK how about your brother comes home dead leaving a wife and child by them self. Im pretty sure a holiday doesn't make up for that.

of coarse you wouldnt know anything about respect. Because all you do is sit on your *** all day playing with yourself while people are dying everyday. and it doesnt matter if you agree with your opinion on the war or anything.

its actually sad to say that a teenager actually knows the differance between right and wrong and doesnt say its a free country because they can . and at every game stand and put my hand over my heart. i doesnt even take effort to stand.

jetsfan28
11-26-2009, 11:56 AM
OK how about your brother comes home dead leaving a wife and child by them self. Im pretty sure a holiday doesn't make up for that.

And a song does?

Statik1
11-26-2009, 12:06 PM
If people are complaining they need shut f up...

We give people the right in this country not to participate in the national anthem!

bignate14
11-26-2009, 12:09 PM
And a song does?

no it doesnt nothing ever will but show them the respect during the anthem

bignate14
11-26-2009, 12:11 PM
If people are complaining they need shut f up...

We give people the right in this country not to participate in the national anthem!

theoretically its illegal not to stand

United States Code, 36 U.S.C. 301, states that during a rendition of the national anthem, when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart; men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; and when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed. Recently enacted law in 2008 allows military veterans to salute out of uniform, as well.

so before you sound like a dumbass please know what your talking about

Drunk Kosar 19
11-26-2009, 12:14 PM
God before country

Iodine
11-26-2009, 12:23 PM
PSD needs to learn how to pick its battles(this is coming from me)

I doubt Roy really could give two ****s about what people think since he's done it for two years. Plus for people that question patriotism should really shut up

also quote from roy on US mens team
Yeah. Just watching [The Olympics] this summer, it was a dream of mine. I'm thinking, "Man, I hope I can be on the next Olympic team." It's far away but I'm going to keep working and keep trying to lay my foundation for why I should be on that team. It's a dream of mine. I see Rudy out there, Dwight, we were in Utah [the other night] and [Carlos Boozer, Deron Williams and Andrei Kirilenko] were getting their medals, So, it's definitely something I want to be a part of.

A guy that hates his country would want that much stress right?

NYtilIdie
11-26-2009, 12:28 PM
You guys who are complaining go do 3 things
1.Go cry me a river
2.Build a bridge
3.And get over it

Its not like he's doing it in a protest or nothing. He's still standing and can clearly still hear the music so technically he's is standing for the Anthem.

ZOMG!!! HES DISRESPECTINZZZ DA ANTHEMZZZZ!!! HES A TERISIST!! CRUCIFY HIM!!!!

Get over it. Its just a damn song.

WSU Tony
11-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Rotoworld

It's pointless because you're young, haven't been in the military, have no respect to veterans who gave their life for you to be at the game, or again, are young.

Have some respect for people who have sacraficed for you. I'm sorry you weren't brought up differently. Considering you don't know the difference, I don't think you're too disappointed.

People who sacrafice for you deserve respect whether your willing to give it or not.

bignate14
11-26-2009, 12:32 PM
some people are just ignorant

Iodine
11-26-2009, 12:33 PM
have no respect to veterans who gave their life for you to be at the game, or again, are young.

Dad is dead from Nam, I know 4 people in the guard, and One of my best friends is dead. Im happy they are doing what they think/thought was right, and I love this country.

Please never say that again because thats just me, and someone on this forum has it more ****ed up than me

Draco
11-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Get over it. Its just a damn song.

It's more than a song when the flag is displayed at the time it's being played. This is kinda, sorta regulated by federal law.

It's obviously not enforced by the states but it doesn't take a genius to realize that standing during the national anthem is a sign of respect.. for the country. And respect is something I'm not surprised that some people who respond with "need to STFU" etc have no clue about. It's kind of a ridiculous thread.. I mean defend Roy's right to be a turd (and your own right to be a turd) all you want. Doesn't matter much to me that that is the way you are.

azkarraga
11-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Does it really matter?

bignate14
11-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Does it really matter?

yes

IDB Josh M
11-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious. In America, we (or at least we should) respect the free choices of one another, regardless of whether we are offended by them or not. So as long as your freedom doesn't bother with my freedom, why should I care?

theuuord
11-26-2009, 03:20 PM
It's pointless because you're young, haven't been in the military, have no respect to veterans who gave their life for you to be at the game, or again, are young.

Have some respect for people who have sacraficed for you. I'm sorry you weren't brought up differently. Considering you don't know the difference, I don't think you're too disappointed.

People who sacrafice for you deserve respect whether your willing to give it or not.

That's ridiculous and offensive of you to assume about anyone. A brother of a good friend of mine died in Iraq last year. One of my mentors is an ex-Marine. I have two friends doing tours right now. I fear for their safety every single freaking day. Whether or not Brandon Roy looks at a flag when a song is playing isn't going to change that. If he wants a private moment, alone, out of view of anyone else, not in the room at the time, that's his decision and I respect it.

You want to be patriotic? Take action. Show respect in your own way. Don't force others to show respect in the way YOU want to. THAT's more un-American than anything else.

ManRam
11-26-2009, 03:52 PM
That's ridiculous and offensive of you to assume about anyone. A brother of a good friend of mine died in Iraq last year. One of my mentors is an ex-Marine. I have two friends doing tours right now. I fear for their safety every single freaking day. Whether or not Brandon Roy looks at a flag when a song is playing isn't going to change that. If he wants a private moment, alone, out of view of anyone else, not in the room at the time, that's his decision and I respect it.

You want to be patriotic? Take action. Show respect in your own way. Don't force others to show respect in the way YOU want to. THAT's more un-American than anything else.

:clap::clap:

Spurred1
11-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Jehovah's Witnesses don't stand for the flag, say the pledge,sing the anthem, or believe in celebrating their country. I have family members who belong to that group.
I find their principles much more disturbing than what Brandon Roy is doing. He is showing respect in his own way.
Regardless, both the JW's and Roy have the right to observe or not observe patriotic rites as they choose.

Draco
11-26-2009, 04:02 PM

What a bunch of BS. As if this were a matter of individual expression. I wouldn't be surprised if standing for the anthem while the flag is displayed was written into law because people such as some of those who post in this thread were too dense to understand respect for following certain customs and traditions associated with their own country. Hey.. as a matter of personal expression why not wink at the next guy you meet instead of shaking hands? It's your choice right.. or maybe it's just really stupid to do such a thing.

Hellcrooner
11-26-2009, 04:03 PM
^yet Mahmoud abdul rauf was denied that right.

theuuord
11-26-2009, 04:09 PM
What a bunch of BS. As if this were a matter of individual expression. I wouldn't be surprised if standing for the anthem while the flag is displayed was written into law because people such as some of those who post in this thread were too dense to understand respect for following certain customs and traditions associated with their own country. Hey.. as a matter of personal expression why not wink at the next guy you meet instead of shaking hands? It's your choice right.. or maybe it's just really stupid to do such a thing.

I think it's more dense to assume that people should blindly follow customs and traditions just because they were there before you were. So as long as you're making a ridiculous comparison (like winking and shaking hands, like that has anything to do with this) I'll go even further. It used to be customary to take people from Africa and make them work for no money on plantations. Why didn't that custom stay around? Is that another great American tradition?

Personal freedom is a great thing. It's actually written into that American Constitution we have. And Brandon Roy, like you or me, is entitled to that freedom. Actual disrespect would be if he was disturbing the peace that others decide to salute the flag in. If he was running around on the court during the anthem screaming about how screwed up America was, then yeah, that would be extremely disrespectful and I'd be calling for his head too (although America IS pretty screwed up, just the wrong venue for talking about it). But he's not doing that. He's saying a prayer to himself in solitude without disturbance to anyone. That's certainly not disrespectful.

theuuord
11-26-2009, 04:11 PM

Had I been more conscious of what was going on back then (I was young) I would have stood up for him as well. His situation is a little different - Rauf was actively against the anthem, while Roy just kind of seems to want to spend the time alone - but suspending him even for a game was ludicrous in my opinion.

Draco
11-26-2009, 04:12 PM
I think it's more dense to assume that people should blindly follow customs and traditions just because they were there before you were. So as long as you're making a ridiculous comparison (like winking and shaking hands, like that has anything to do with this) I'll go even further. It used to be customary to take people from Africa and make them work for no money on plantations. Why didn't that custom stay around? Is that another great American tradition?

Personal freedom is a great thing. It's actually written into that American Constitution we have. And Brandon Roy, like you or me, is entitled to that freedom. Actual disrespect would be if he was disturbing the peace that others decide to salute the flag in. If he was running around on the court during the anthem screaming about how screwed up America was, then yeah, that would be extremely disrespectful and I'd be calling for his head too (although America IS pretty screwed up, just the wrong venue for talking about it). But he's not doing that. He's saying a prayer to himself in solitude without disturbance to anyone. That's certainly not disrespectful.

:yawn: Dude, you're full of crap. There's a law that spells this out.. end of story.

theuuord
11-26-2009, 04:15 PM
:yawn: Dude, you're full of crap. There's a law that spells this out.. end of story.

lmao. glad to see you haven't changed. just like laws. which are fixed entities that are our only moral compass, right?

talk about crap...

theuuord
11-26-2009, 04:16 PM
hey, I heard Brandon Roy once jaywalked in New York City. Get the attack dogs!

Draco
11-26-2009, 04:25 PM
lmao. glad to see you haven't changed. just like laws. which are fixed entities that are our only moral compass, right?

talk about crap...

You're the one comparing slavery to standing for the national anthem.. apparently you haven't changed either. Some people get it, you don't. That's just where it is. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take away your right to be clueless. Have at it.

theuuord
11-26-2009, 04:29 PM
You're the one comparing slavery to standing for the national anthem.. apparently you haven't changed either. Some people get it, you don't. That's just where it is. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take away your right to be clueless. Have at it.

hard to take something from me that you're the owner of. you were the one comparing winking to the national anthem. I just took your game and went pro.

But hey, since as you continue to skirt actual points instead of making some, at least you don't look like an idiot.
Oh, wait, my bad. That's not how it works!

Every point I've made still stands. Every yawn you've made is still tiresome. But I'll humor you. No more insults after this post. (For real.) I'm willing to have just an actual, honest, fair debate about this topic. You in?

Draco
11-26-2009, 04:36 PM
hard to take something from me that you're the owner of. you were the one comparing winking to the national anthem. I just took your game and went pro.

No.. actually I compared "skipping the national anthem and showing respect in your own way" to "skipping a traditional greeting (a handshake) and substituting it with a hypothetical form of personal expression (a wink)" so that I could attempt to show how ridiculous this is.

But hey, since as you continue to skirt actual points instead of making some, at least you don't look like an idiot.
Oh, wait, my bad. That's not how it works!

What a blowhard you are.

Every point I've made still stands. Every yawn you've made is still tiresome. But I'll humor you. No more insults after this post. (For real.) I'm willing to have just an actual, honest, fair debate about this topic. You in?

debate? this isn't a debate. There's a law, there's the concept of customs and traditions, there's respect and there's you who doesn't grasp any of these concepts.

Statik1
11-26-2009, 04:39 PM

I'm willing to bet you own a gun, dip tobacco, drive a lifted truck & love Bush and Sarah Palin ?

And really how hard is it to google copy and paste nice try....

And where does it say he not standing ??????

Explain that Moseley....

chicagocubsfan
11-26-2009, 04:39 PM
He's working for Al Queda, book it :D. Really, it's not that big of a deal

theuuord
11-26-2009, 04:41 PM
No.. actually I compared "skipping the national anthem and showing respect in your own way" to "skipping a traditional greeting (a handshake) and substituting it with a hypothetical form of personal expression (a wink)" so that I could attempt to show how ridiculous this is.

And I compared "the old tradition of standing for the national anthem" to "the old tradition of racism in this country" so that I could attempt to show you how ridiculous this is.

What a blowhard you are.

no more insults.

debate? this isn't a debate. There's a law and there's you who doesn't grasp the concept.

Are laws fixed entities decided by God? No. Laws are constantly changing rules made up by a bunch of (mostly) old (mostly) white (mostly) men in power. You keep coming back to this idea that the law is the law and there's nothing more to it, but the simple fact is that law is nothing more than philosophy in practice.

Do you study law?

theuuord
11-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Also, as long as we're on the subject of law, how do you feel about Dwyane Wade's alleged marijuana & sex parties?

Draco
11-26-2009, 04:54 PM
And I compared "the old tradition of standing for the national anthem" to "the old tradition of racism in this country" so that I could attempt to show you how ridiculous this is.

Yep.. you sure did. And it still doesn't make a good point.

no more insults.

You're a very smart and insightful person.. understanding simple concepts is very easy for you. Except perhaps this one.

Are laws fixed entities decided by God? No. Laws are constantly changing rules made up by a bunch of (mostly) old (mostly) white (mostly) men in power. You keep coming back to this idea that the law is the law and there's nothing more to it, but the simple fact is that law is nothing more than philosophy in practice.

Do you study law?

Well, I don't think that Brandon Roy is part of a larger and growing movement of people changing the way the public shows respect for their country... that's a tad presumptuous and a bit ridiculous.

And no, I don't and haven't studied law. Let me guess, you do?

Ok.. maybe the next time you're pulled over for a moving violation you could try philosophizing with the police. Express your individuality... be that unique snowflake. More power to you.

theuuord
11-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Yep.. you sure did. And it still doesn't make a good point.

So it's your job to decide what traditions we allow?

You're a very smart and insightful person.. understanding simple concepts is very easy for you. Except perhaps this one.

It's funny, in all our arguments, you always seem to take the low road. That's not an insult, it's an observation. I think it's your fatal flaw.

Well, I don't think that Brandon Roy is part of a larger and growing movement of people changing the way the public shows respect for their country... that's a tad presumptuous and a bit ridiculous.

Who said that? It's his right as an individual. Hell, you could argue that because he's staying in the tunnel he's not technically "present" and therefore the code doesn't even apply to him. Whatever. that's not the point. In fact it seems like the last thing he wants to do is evoke some crazy social change. He just wants a private moment.

And no, I don't and haven't studied law. Let me guess, you do?

Not closely, but it's loosely connected with my studies and have good standing with many lawyers, law professors, and law students.

Ok.. maybe the next time you're pulled over for a moving violation you could try philosophizing with the police. Express your individuality... be that unique snowflake. More power to you.

Actually, funny story - I was pulled over for speeding a couple weeks ago (going 60 in a 45 - it was an honest mistake). The cop understood the mitigating factors and let me off with a warning. My nefarious plan worked!

The point is that every law is up to interpretation. I could have easily been written a ticket, but the officer's interpretation was that it wasn't worth the harm. Some laws have very little wiggle room - if you're poor and you kill a man in cold blood, you're going to jail for a long time. Others are far less stringent. For instance, I've never seen cops patrolling sports arenas looking for people who are seated during the National Anthem. And I don't expect to, because that would be similarly ridiculous.

I'm sure you can find a book chock full of "weird laws" that make absolutely no sense. And while the anthem one makes more sense than most of those, it's not nearly as simple as saying "there's a law, so that's that."

pebloemer
11-26-2009, 05:21 PM

Out of curiosity, would this law apply for international players? Or just American citizens?

Hey.. as a matter of personal expression why not wink at the next guy you meet instead of shaking hands? It's your choice right.. or maybe it's just really stupid to do such a thing.

Actually shaking hands is one of the leading ways that germs are transferred among human beings. There are many cultures who don't shake hands for a variety of reasons and I hardly feel that they are "stupid" for doing such. People don't shake hands because it is the right thing to do, they do it because their culture and socialization has taught them to. But many other cultures exist with different greeting traditions. From what I understand, many of those cultures have much more established reasons why they greet the way they do than the Modern West's hand shaking. I don't follow what you are stating with this example.

Draco
11-26-2009, 05:44 PM
So it's your job to decide what traditions we allow?

That tradition and law was in place long before I was born.. so no, it's not my decision.

It's funny, in all our arguments, you always seem to take the low road. That's not an insult, it's an observation. I think it's your fatal flaw.

Depends on the conversation and setting.

Who said that? It's his right as an individual. Hell, you could argue that because he's staying in the tunnel he's not technically "present" and therefore the code doesn't even apply to him. Whatever. that's not the point. In fact it seems like the last thing he wants to do is evoke some crazy social change. He just wants a private moment.

We're going in circles.

Not closely, but it's loosely connected with my studies and have good standing with many lawyers, law professors, and law students.

Actually, funny story - I was pulled over for speeding a couple weeks ago (going 60 in a 45 - it was an honest mistake). The cop understood the mitigating factors and let me off with a warning. My nefarious plan worked!

The point is that every law is up to interpretation. I could have easily been written a ticket, but the officer's interpretation was that it wasn't worth the harm. Some laws have very little wiggle room - if you're poor and you kill a man in cold blood, you're going to jail for a long time. Others are far less stringent. For instance, I've never seen cops patrolling sports arenas looking for people who are seated during the National Anthem. And I don't expect to, because that would be similarly ridiculous.

I'm sure you can find a book chock full of "weird laws" that make absolutely no sense. And while the anthem one makes more sense than most of those, it's not nearly as simple as saying "there's a law, so that's that."

You got lucky. The officer's job was to enforce the law not interpret and debate it with you. I understand that it happens.. I could probably get out of some tickets because I'm a former marine but that hardly makes a good point.

There's no penalty for violation of this particular law on the federal level and I have no idea what the laws are in each state. I think the point is that this particular custom and tradition was important enough to be written into law regardless of there not being a penalty for not following it. There's no law that prohibits talking loudly during a eulogy but most people, I think, understand that this behavior is disrepectful and inappropriate. Your milleage might vary.

Fresno
11-26-2009, 05:59 PM
People still shake hands like gents.

We have created our own handshakes which are easy and unique.

Im still struggling to understand why people continue to equate the National Anthem to troops fighting overseas. Respect for War veterans and saluting the flag of the country are 2 different things, sounds like a few of these people are those die hard patriotic types that have an American flag on their door and on their license plate.

That is the common steriotype of Americans, there is a lot more to being an American than being a patriot. Like freedom of expression.

And Draco stop complaining about its a law, there is no punishment for not singing the National anthem. If there was wouldn't we be living in a totalitarian government?

Corey
11-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Who cares?

Honestly, if he doesn't want to stand around 82 nights per year and listen to the same thing over and over again, so what?

I hate when stuff like this gets made into a big deal.

MTar786
11-26-2009, 08:01 PM
its all his decision. it shouldnt bother people

bignate14
11-27-2009, 12:08 AM
I'm willing to bet you own a gun, dip tobacco, drive a lifted truck & love Bush and Sarah Palin ?

And really how hard is it to google copy and paste nice try....

And where does it say he not standing ??????

Explain that Moseley....

No i live in california, never diped , i have a bmw ,and voted for obama
i do have a gum but just for home protection

and saying "all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart"

it says in the first sentance to stand you ****ing moron

bignate14
11-27-2009, 12:10 AM
[QUOTE=pebloemer;11508594]Out of curiosity, would this law apply for international players? Or just American citizens?QUOTE]

just American citizens

Jaji
11-27-2009, 12:26 AM
Why does it matter?

drew_ellis_23
11-27-2009, 12:28 AM

^^^Hit the nail on the head^^^

As long as you stand, take your hat off, and shut up, you are being respectful. Where does it say you need to be with your teamates and chat and what not? As long as he keeps performing at the level he has continued to perform at why woould anyone care?

jetsfan28
11-27-2009, 12:34 AM

Theoretically it's illegal not to put your hand over your heart too, but most people don't do it.

And again, who said he doesn't stand when it's being sung? All it says is that he isn't on the court for it.

Love how you just ignore my post about how offensive it is to compare someone who loves his country and just wants a quiet moment of prayer to someone who thinks the flag is a symbol of oppression and that we are a country of tyrants.

ko8e24
11-27-2009, 12:56 AM

goobers

mrblisterdundee
11-27-2009, 01:22 AM
Good for Brandon Roy! That song glorifies war. I bet you the North Koreans have one just like it, tailored to their history.
People in high school gave me grief because I didn't stand for the pledge of allegiance. It pledges us "under god," forgetting about the separation of church and state. For that reason, I abstain.

commonsense12
11-27-2009, 01:41 AM
This is kind of funny actually. What i think everyone misses is how America has changed so much in the last few generations. I mean Ho Chi Minh wrote in his autobiography that he did not surrender in Vietman because of so many "Americans" were speaking out against the war. People are right you do have the ability of free speech, but the way its used is not always good for your country.

For all the patriots out there dont you know that so many Americans only care about themselves and that they have no idea what it means to be part of something bigger and to be proud of their country. They are so busy thinking me,me,me that they are too busy to take a minute out of their busy lives to do something patriotic and think about the very freedoms that they take for granted.

I would say that most Americans in their average day do nothing patriotic at all. So having someone stand for a full minute and sing a song is just crazy. I mean if you dont stand what exactly are you doing? Oh wait i know they are thinking about themselves. Would it really hurt them to stand and sing a song? Oh btw singing the national anthem is patriotic, just like saluting the flag or saying the pledge of allegiance.

I think it all boils down to the fact that people take for granted the freedoms that they have and they have no pride about where they are. Kind of sad but thats unfortunately what peoples beliefs are nowadays.

Roy could pray at any other time, to me its no excuse and shows a bad example. But he is protected by his freedoms. I just dont understand why he cant do both.

In case anyone was curious there was tons of sarcasm in this message.

bignate14
11-27-2009, 01:42 AM
Good for Brandon Roy! That song glorifies war. I bet you the North Koreans have one just like it, tailored to their history.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm:

bignate14
11-27-2009, 01:47 AM
And again, who said he doesn't stand when it's being sung? All it says is that he isn't on the court for it.

im not talking about Brandon roy im talking about how they say that they dont stand for the anthem or i even one guy earlier say something about ******** on the flag

sorry if there was any confusion on that

slack_justin
11-27-2009, 02:12 AM
no problem with it. as long as he doesnt stand in center court and talk or act like he's got better things to do. He is not in public view and is concentrating for his job. but fans that dont stand up or are talking thats rude.

blackjack_119
11-27-2009, 02:12 AM

and saying "all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart"

Speaking of ****ing morons...
You are talking out of your ***. Title 36 of the United States Code which includes the "law" you cited, is an outline of Federal holidays and observances.

Not standing for the flag is as "illegal" as celebrating Veteran's Day on November, 10th. The action isn't illegal, its just not how the government intends the observance be carried out.

Statik1
11-27-2009, 03:41 AM

No dick face where does it say Brandon Roy isn't standing ???? HUR DUR

:facepalm:

Raph12
11-27-2009, 04:23 AM
Lame if this becomes an issue, IMO if the guy needs a couple of minutes to pray before games, let him be.

Trouble87
11-27-2009, 05:04 AM
not a big thing but its borderline disrespectful to a country he was born in, makes money in, and owns property in

Roy needs to have more pride for his country and show some proper respect to it

junion
11-27-2009, 05:26 AM
no one forces you to have pride in the country or salute what it stands for. it's a free country, he can stay aside if he wants to.

rabueed
11-27-2009, 08:09 AM
I'm just gonna throw this story out there.

my buddy and I were at a angels game once. he just got back from Iraq and when the national anthem started playing, he stayed seated.

Me: Why aren't you standing?
Him:I disapprove of our nation's actions in Iraq and I will not stand up to
support something I do not like.
Me: well, what about your marine buddies and the guys still over there?
Him: I support them on my own time. I love this country and the people that
fight for it, I hate our government and their responses to this war."
Me: if you love this country and your men, you should stand up and show
respect for them. This song is for them and the country, not for the
politics behind it.
Him: A song and a tradition does not do justice for the people that defend
this country. Standing up proves nothing, it's how you feel that
matters. You can stand up and be thinking about the weather the next
day, or you can sit down and thank the Lord for the people that give
you the right to freedom.

so his point was if you're standing up or sitting down, your thoughts are what determine your appreciation for your country and the men and women that protect it.

save the knicks
11-27-2009, 10:40 AM
I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about the anthem. We're talking about the anthem man. We're talking about the anthem. We're talking about the anthem. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about the anthem. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you've seen me play right, you've seen me give everything I've got, but we're talking about the anthem right now. ... Hey I hear you, it's funny to me too, hey it's strange to me too but we're talking about the anthem man, we're not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, we're talking about the anthem

SchyGuy11
11-27-2009, 10:51 AM
I guess this isn't a huge deal, but after hearing this for some reason i now dislike brandon roy.......a lot.

Draco
11-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Me: Why aren't you standing?
Him:I disapprove of our nation's actions in Iraq and I will not stand up to support something I do not like.

Was he discharged before 2003? If not he must have been conflicted about serving in the military during a war that he doesn't agree with and working for a government he hates. If he was in the military during this time I'm curious about what he did in protest. Anything?

Him: I support them on my own time. I love this country and the people that fight for it, I hate our government and their responses to this war."
Me: if you love this country and your men, you should stand up and show respect for them. This song is for them and the country, not for the
politics behind it.
Him: A song and a tradition does not do justice for the people that defend this country. Standing up proves nothing, it's how you feel that
matters. You can stand up and be thinking about the weather the next
day, or you can sit down and thank the Lord for the people that give
you the right to freedom.

I disagreed with the war in 2003 when that was an unpopular position to take.. especially if you were in the military. I wasn't at gitmo and ordered to violate human rights and so my beliefs about the war were appropriately subordinant to my sense of duty and respect for my country. If your friend believes differently I could possibly respect that depending on what actions he took in support of his beliefs. It's pretty easy to sit down during the national anthem when you're a civilian.. how did he protest when he was in the military?

so his point was if you're standing up or sitting down, your thoughts are what determine your appreciation for your country and the men and women that protect it.

Which is completely beside the point of showing respect for your country by following customs and traditions.

mser58
11-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Personally, if it was a form of protest, I really wouldn't think of it as anything but an attention grabber.

No problem with this however, doesn't mean he does not love America.

tcav701
11-27-2009, 11:11 AM
I am currently in Iraq serving my country and my view is as follows:

It is not illegal to remain seated during the playing of the national anthem, each american has the choice to stand, sit, put their hand over their heart or take a sip of their beer.

However, people should stand and provide their undivided attention during the playing of the national anthem because of their right to choose.

If it were not for the men and women who have fought, are currently fighting and will continue to fight for them in the future, we would not have many of our constitutional rights including the right to disregaurd the playing of the national anthem.

So if you think about it, you should stand because you dont have to.

If Roy is standing, paying his respects to his beliefs i dont see the big deal. It is no mandatory or any more respectful to stand in the center of the court.

bignate14
11-27-2009, 03:56 PM
No dick face where does it say Brandon Roy isn't standing ???? HUR DUR

once again if you wernt paying attention dipshit im not talking about brandon roy im talking about the fans who dont stand

so before your calling people dick face read the whole tread

vash9
11-27-2009, 04:18 PM
doesn't bother me.

that's probably one of the reasons why he is focused so much in game.

i say let him be.

USMCLaker
11-27-2009, 04:18 PM
I can understand almost everyone's perspective on this issue. I understand why anyone from NY would be enraged by this and would want his fellow Americans to pay tribute to the the anthem. However, personally for me it doesn't matter whether someone does or doesn't stand up for the anthem, I'd prefer it if they did but if they don't that is their choice.

I really don't understand why everyone's got to insult each other because of their differences, for those who have such a desire to fight should join the Marine Corp.

thesparky33
11-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Way too many names being called, and insults being thrown around.

I think we're getting too carried away with this.

I think most of us agree that we are blessed and should give thanks and respect to everyone who willingly served and currently serves to protect our freedoms (I'm speaking for Americans, btw).

Personally, I think its disrespectful to not stand and place your hand over your heart (I guess folding your hands behind your back is acceptable too)... but in all reality, its not the actual act of standing and placing your hand on your heart, its just the fact that it shows that you care. If you have a certain way that you pay respect or observe the National Anthem, do it. But I know I am a little bugged to see people just talking or ignoring the National Anthem, but at the same time, I'm not going to judge them, its their right I guess.

Wiz kids
11-27-2009, 05:52 PM
It is what it is. Some people don't do the Pledge of Allegiance in school.

rabueed
11-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Was he discharged before 2003? If not he must have been conflicted about serving in the military during a war that he doesn't agree with and working for a government he hates. If he was in the military during this time I'm curious about what he did in protest. Anything?

I disagreed with the war in 2003 when that was an unpopular position to take.. especially if you were in the military. I wasn't at gitmo and ordered to violate human rights and so my beliefs about the war were appropriately subordinant to my sense of duty and respect for my country. If your friend believes differently I could possibly respect that depending on what actions he took in support of his beliefs. It's pretty easy to sit down during the national anthem when you're a civilian.. how did he protest when he was in the military?

Which is completely beside the point of showing respect for your country by following customs and traditions.

Yes, he was discharged before 2003, and as far as I know on his opinion regarding the subject and the war, what I stated is everything I gathered.

Following customs and traditions doesn't imply respect for your country. You can respect and admire your country and the men fighting for it in any manner you please. There is no law stating that you have to stand and place your hand over your heart during the national anthem. Some people prefer different actions in portraying their love for this country and its protectors.

I mean, honestly, you think everyone thinks about their country when standing up for the national anthem? No, people's minds wander. If Brandon Roy was out there standing for the Anthem, but praying at the same time, no one would notice the difference. But no, he's in the back, possibly standing, and praying.

Customs and traditions are meant to be broken. I personally stand up for the national anthem and place my hand over my heart. That said, I can see other people's positions on the matter and do not think them less "patriotic" if they choose to do otherwise.

Statik1
11-27-2009, 09:26 PM
once again if you wernt paying attention dipshit im not talking about brandon roy im talking about the fans who dont stand

so before your calling people dick face read the whole tread

So you quote my first statement for saying that people need to shut up about this then you turn it around to make it look like your right when I am the one your quoting.... lol wow child you are a joke! Its obvious in this entire thread you have no idea what you are talking about... Hurry go google up some more stuff you can copy and post.

bignate14
11-27-2009, 09:37 PM

So you quote my first statement for saying that people need to shut up about this then you turn it around to make it look like your right when I am the one your quoting.... lol wow child you are a joke! Its obvious in this entire thread you have no idea what you are talking about... Hurry go google up some more stuff you can copy and post.
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
i havnt googled anything so go suck a dick

and you dont know dont know what your talking about *** hole

PurpleJesus
11-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Roy must be a terrosrist

Nocioni5
11-27-2009, 10:37 PM
It is what it is. Some people don't do the Pledge of Allegiance in school.

Most of the time some kids don't do the Pledge of Allegiance in school it's b/c of religious beliefs and usually they still stand out of respect.
But I do feel if Roy isn't doing it to disrespect his country since he said if it were a problem he would do it. So I don't see the big deal. He's praying its not like he is doing anything disrespectful.

Celts437
11-27-2009, 10:38 PM
Wow Roy and the majority of the people who posted in this thread are great evidence as to why Im not proud to be an American anymore.

Humbled war veteran