PDA

View Full Version : The Nets are Moving to Brooklyn, NY ?

ko8e24
11-24-2009, 09:33 PM
The last major obstacle to a groundbreaking for the $4.9 billion Atlantic Yards development in Brooklyn fell Tuesday when New York’s highest court, the Court of Appeals, dismissed a challenge to the state’s use of eminent domain on behalf of the developer, Bruce C. Ratner.

The Court of Appeals ruled that the state could exercise eminent domain in seizing the 22 acres, much of which sits within an urban redevelopment area, for Atlantic Yards. Critics of the project had argued that eminent domain on behalf of a private developer was improper and a violation of the state’s Constitution.

Those opposed to the project said that the decision, while a setback, was hardly the end of the fight.

“The fight against the Atlantic Yards project is far from over,” said Daniel Goldstein, a spokesman for Develop Don’t Destroy Brooklyn, a community group that opposes the project. “The community has four outstanding lawsuits against the project and, meanwhile, the arena bond financing clock ticks louder and louder for Ratner. While this is a terrible day for taxpaying homeowners in New York, this is not the end of our fight to keep the government from stealing our homes and businesses.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/25/ny...s.html?_r=1&hp

Hellcrooner
11-24-2009, 11:29 PM
welcome back NY nets.

Wilson
11-24-2009, 11:47 PM
So people's homes and businesses are actually going to be relocated for the arena to be built?

SB75
11-25-2009, 12:08 AM
This thing will be tied up in court forever. They will find a different reason to appeal this.

sofargone
11-25-2009, 12:22 AM
So people's homes and businesses are actually going to be relocated for the arena to be built?
that would suck BIG TIME

Nocioni5
11-25-2009, 12:39 AM

If they do it really would suck but I'm pretty sure they would be more than sufficiently compensated for there troubles.

arkanian215
11-25-2009, 12:40 AM
it's the american way.

arkanian215
11-25-2009, 12:44 AM
have you seen this area? people have called for redevelopment for at least a decade. many just dont want to be "pushed" out. once those "affordable" housing projects are built, there's instant gentrification. the current residents do not have anywhere close to the income required to pay rent on the new apartments.

now people are complaining about the sightlines and the amount of sky they could see. kinda ridiculous when you want more housing in the area but refuse to allow them build upwards.

still there are some valid points. but in the end, **** ddb. this is what ruins america. so does ratner but at least my nets are moving to brooklyn :D

Apophis
11-25-2009, 03:47 AM
If they do it really would suck but I'm pretty sure they would be more than sufficiently compensated for there troubles.

They will be compensated but they arent going to get as much as those who took the money when the plan first was made... Ratner was giving some people 2x, 3x, even 4x what the property was worth...

I remember some guy they gave over a million.. he sold his house and bought a loft in the city.... now people will probably get what the market value of their house is...or a little over that...

QU Bobcat
11-25-2009, 04:20 AM
"Hello Brooklyn, How Ya Doin?"

Boston Faithful
11-25-2009, 04:32 AM
I don't want them to move. I'm from New Jersey and I personally like the area they are in. New York doesn't need to have two teams and I think it's sick evading everyone from their houses in Brooklyn just to move a friggin basketball team there.

When the Nets were good they had really good attendance.

29$JerZ
11-25-2009, 04:39 AM
It's pointless for NJ to move to Brooklyn imo.
Attendance has haunted them but that's because of the teams performance.
They have a nice arena and even though its small compared to MSG it's great for fans who like to watch basketball at a closer view then you would at Staples, MSG, etc.

Does anyone know what the legit reason is for moving the team to Brooklyn from a financial standpoint? Are they forced to do it or is it because they just want a change in scenery?

Spurred1
11-25-2009, 04:42 AM

They'll buy out a lot of the homes and businesses. But there will likely be people refusing to move. That will create delays.

BkOriginalOne
11-25-2009, 05:15 AM
That's messed up. I actually live in Brooklyn and know where that Arena is supposed to be built. There is huge mall adjacent to it, they should expand that way instead of shutting down the small business and homes which reside near by. That's not right Hov.

Wilson
11-25-2009, 11:54 AM
They'll buy out a lot of the homes and businesses. But there will likely be people refusing to move. That will create delays.

I'm guessing that even if they refused to move, the local government will eventually force them to. I liked the idea of having a team in Brooklyn (anything New York has always sounded cool to me), but it shouldn't happen this way.

That's messed up. I actually live in Brooklyn and know where that Arena is supposed to be built. There is huge mall adjacent to it, they should expand that way instead of shutting down the small business and homes which reside near by. That's not right Hov.

Agreed. The people who have to move will have to pay taxes to fund the stadium as well. Being forced to move, and to pay for your house to be knocked down and a stadium built on top of it must feel like a real kick in the balls.

I can see why those people are so upset, I would be too.

QU Bobcat
11-25-2009, 01:25 PM
I don't want them to move. I'm from New Jersey and I personally like the area they are in. New York doesn't need to have two teams and I think it's sick evading everyone from their houses in Brooklyn just to move a friggin basketball team there.

When the Nets were good they had really good attendance.

Define "good attendance?" If a 2 Finals runs couldn't consistently sell out the place, that's when you know its time to move on. The state of NJ doesn't appreciate the Nets from an attendance standpoint, Brooklyn will through.

Dmagic87
11-25-2009, 01:44 PM
The NBA better watch out if Lebron goes to the Nets... a dynasty is brewing...

Young and Stupid
11-25-2009, 01:54 PM
They have a nice arena and even though its small compared to MSG it's great for fans who like to watch basketball at a closer view then you would at Staples, MSG, etc.

Does anyone know what the legit reason is for moving the team to Brooklyn from a financial standpoint? Are they forced to do it or is it because they just want a change in scenery?

You my friend, have no idea what you're talking about.

arkanian215
11-25-2009, 02:06 PM
+1. :facepalm:

Robbw241
11-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Define "good attendance?" If a 2 Finals runs couldn't consistently sell out the place, that's when you know its time to move on. The state of NJ doesn't appreciate the Nets from an attendance standpoint, Brooklyn will through.

And you know this how? There are a lot more Knicks fans then Nets fans in Brooklyn and I doubt they are all going to abandon their team. IMO attendance will go down, which is sad.

Robbw241
11-25-2009, 05:53 PM

Izod is a piece of crap. I am glad they are getting out of there and out of the mess that is Xanadu. That being said, I would much rather them move to the Prudential Center in Newark then to go to Brooklyn. That arena is really nice and doesn't involve us knocking down peopl'es homes.

King P
11-25-2009, 06:49 PM
And you know this how? There are a lot more Knicks fans then Nets fans in Brooklyn and I doubt they are all going to abandon their team. IMO attendance will go down, which is sad.
Doubt that very much. NYC is big enough for 2 teams, just look at the Yankees and the Mets. Besides, NY has a good amount of Nets fans, and will have more when they move to BK.

Let's face it, fans are getting tired of the Knicks and are waiting for the Nets to come in to town. Honestly, many people here in NY root for the Knicks, just because they are from NY. They need to rep NY, so they will cheer for any NY team. I have heard many people here say that they cant wait for the Nets to move to NY and that they would root for them when they get come to NY.

And Brooklyn will have more Nets fans than Knicks fans when the Nets come in. Just like the Yankees have more fans in the Bronx, and the Mets have more fans in Queens. It's all about repping where your from.

SaimoNETS
11-25-2009, 08:08 PM
Doubt that very much. NYC is big enough for 2 teams, just look at the Yankees and the Mets. Besides, NY has a good amount of Nets fans, and will have more when they move to BK.

Let's face it, fans are getting tired of the Knicks and are waiting for the Nets to come in to town. Honestly, many people here in NY root for the Knicks, just because they are from NY. They need to rep NY, so they will cheer for any NY team. I have heard many people here say that they cant wait for the Nets to move to NY and that they would root for them when they get come to NY.

And Brooklyn will have more Nets fans than Knicks fans when the Nets come in. Just like the Yankees have more fans in the Bronx, and the Mets have more fans in Queens. It's all about repping where your from.

Great, thats just what we need. loads of NY bandwagon fans pouring in claiming that they have been Nets fans "for life". :rolleyes:

Netslunatic76
11-25-2009, 08:15 PM
You my friend, have no idea what you're talking about.

This.

I feel like this applies to a lot of the posts made in this thread.

Boston Faithful
11-25-2009, 08:17 PM

What are you talking about? The two Finals runs, the place was sold out.

The Nets had decent to good attendance up until recent years when they decided they were going to trade Carter, Kidd and Jefferson for **** and Devin Harris.

Netslunatic76
11-25-2009, 08:18 PM

8-9 million people live in NYC. Add that with the people from Long Island and I highly doubt attendance will drop from what it already is(horrible) in New Jersey.

Netslunatic76
11-25-2009, 08:20 PM
What are you talking about? The two Finals runs, the place was sold out.

The Nets had decent to good attendance up until recent years when they decided they were going to trade Carter, Kidd and Jefferson for **** and Devin Harris.

:facepalm:

arkanian215
11-25-2009, 08:20 PM
they're not just building an arena. they're adding far more apartments than they're taking away in the long run. currently there are no high rise apartments in the area. now dddb is complaining that there will be too many. the glut of luxury apartments in the city will force rents down. on top of that it aint just an arena and apartments. there's offices being built as well. and instead of that railyard lying there, they're generating jobs for people in the city as well as the entire northeast.

it's not JUST an arena.

arkanian215
11-25-2009, 08:22 PM
man...
http://www.basketballreference.com/teams/teamatt.htm?tm=njn&lg=n

Year Total Avg
2008-09 621,062 15,147
2007-08 641,921 15,656
2006-07 678,885 16,972
2005-06 691,543 16,866
2004-05 618,677 15,089
2003-04 613,051 14,952